Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO or AOC?

13»

Comments

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227

I believe a lot of you mix up graphics and art way too much. By far, World Of Warcraft has the best art and immersive world out of these two MMOs. The thing about creating your own world through artistic observations is that the world just does not get old as technology progresses. What are you going to compare it to? Games like Lotro, AOC, DAOC, EQ, etc. graphics will show in time because they relate to reality much more. Therefore, it is easy for us to distinguish bad and good graphics between them. However, World Of Warcraft its simply whether or not you like the art. The graphics are a mere moot point.

Most people don't understand the difference.. and I don't expect you all too.

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Originally posted by ryman

I believe a lot of you mix up graphics and art way too much. By far, World Of Warcraft has the best art and immersive world out of these two MMOs. The thing about creating your own world through artistic observations is that the world just does not get old as technology progresses. What are you going to compare it to? Games like Lotro, AOC, DAOC, EQ, etc. graphics will show in time because they relate to reality much more. Therefore, it is easy for us to distinguish bad and good graphics between them. However, World Of Warcraft its simply whether or not you like the art. The graphics are a mere moot point.
    Most people don't understand the difference.. and I don't expect you all too.

AOC and LOTRO are far and above WoW's graphics. Wow looks like they used crayola crayons for their graphics. This isn't an opinion this is fact.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• zinkerzzinkerz Member UncommonPosts: 174

AOC...graphics...combat system..pvp..and the raiding is fun.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I would have to go with LotRO.  The game, to me, is far superior to AoC.  All the instancing in AoC is a huge detriment in my opinion.  I tried the trial of AoC recently.  I really enjoyed Tortage, so I decided to sub.  (Found the game for 5 bucks with shipping at Amazon)  The game play after Tortage was a bit of a let down.  The questing was a bit boring.  I was used to these involved stories I got in LotRO, it just wasn't there in AoC.

I also started having problems launching the game.  My toon's hair would change color when I changed to different instances.  AoC was still a bit buggy. 

LotRO has a lot of polish.  The quests (if you read them) are intriguing.  Sure, it's still go hunt 10 boars, but the quest's story really gives you a reason to do it. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by OldAgeJunkie

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

LotR excels over AoC in every facet except for two.
    PvP and graphics.  If either of those are your mainstay than AoC. Don't get me wrong graphics aren't bad in LotR but between the two Aoc's are better.  As for PvP, LotR is rather pitiful.  Pretty much the same as it has always been really.  If PvE, lore, story arcs, crafting, etc. are your thing than definitely Rings.  The game has just so much more to offer and is done at such a higher level of quality than in AoC in all other areas of gameplay.

AOC has better graphics than Lotro?. Now that is a BIG laugh of the day. You are smoking allot of crack if you think AOC's graphics are better than Lotro.  And Lotro is a pve game not a pvp game, you are a idiot. 

The least you could do if you're going to call someone else an idiot is not act like one yourself.  Kind of self defeating really.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• PhirmwarePhirmware Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by ryman

I believe a lot of you mix up graphics and art way too much. By far, World Of Warcraft has the best art and immersive world out of these two MMOs.

Regardless of your opinion of graphics and art, LOTRO has a game world that actually feels like a living, breathing world. 

Awfully tough to get more immersive than that.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I have to go with AOC at this point , I decided to come back to Lotro for the Spring thing and these are my impressions,  Lotro and Aoc both have excellent graphics no prob there.  Combat is so much more exciting in aoc then lotro , more strategic , better animations, and just more fun.  Exploration is better in lotro but is not bad in aoc and of course lore is built in to lotro  but i feel does not make the best use of such.    Lotro is way to easy , even easier then STO , while Aoc is more difficult weather you are talking about PvE or PvP and of course Aoc has much better PvP even though it can be prob at times with gankers and such (when will developers learn).     tortagee is an excellent starting area with full audio npc's and a very good story, Lotro starting areas have their moments but can be quite boring at times.    Crafting I guess has to go to lotro but llike the rest of the game it is on easy mode, wish it was something like Vanguard or Ryzom.   Immersive? that depends alot on how you like the game overall

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

To the op,  my answer is neither.

I sugest you try a new game.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I guess if the OP wants a super easy game with fast leveling go with AoC.

AoC has no death penalty or eqiupment repair costs so the worst that happens if you get killed is you run back from the respawn point which takes about 5 secs

The combat buttons will light up so you always know what key you need to hit next

My recomendation is you want a really super casual beginner MMO AoC is the way to go, if you are looking for something a littler more challenging the go with LoTRO

I miss DAoC

• GlavianGlavian Member Posts: 32

I played AoC for about three months. The graphics are really nice, but the content is really lacking. Once you hit the level cap, the only option is to role a new character and do it all over again, unless you get into one of the super elitist raid guilds, the raid instances are nearly impossible.

LOTRO may not be as pretty as AoC, but it has so much more content, and the social aspect of LOTRO is far superior. I went into Lord of the Rings very sceptacle that it would be any better than Aion, or AoC, but man was I wrong. After you get past the less than stellar character graphics, the game is very fun and pulls you right in.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

AoC over LotRO any day and I really really don't like Funcom business practices.

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

Character graphics: AoC

World graphics: AoC by a smidge (LOTRO is beautiful)

Combat graphics: AoC

Character creation: tie

Class/skills/levelling: tie

Gear: LOTRO

Music: LOTRO

Immersiveness: LOTRO

Quests/content: LOTRO (though a shout out to Tortage - a great starting area)

PvP: AoC

Raiding/end game: tie

Story: after Tortage, LOTRO all the way

Combat: AoC

Support: LOTRO

Sys Requirements: LOTRO

Bottom line?  Try them both.  But, my opinion is that LOTRO is better in the long run - but, story, quests, content, and immersiveness are big to me.

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

Neither

Eve Online is the answer.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Was bored of Eve even before leaving the tutorial hanger =P

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

Originally posted by PoopyStuff

Neither

Eve Online is the answer.

Way to stay on topic there... it's more constructive to post about the games the OP asked about... I'm sure if he was interested in Eve he would've included it in the list.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.