Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we get EA Mythic to do DAoC2?

Obviously, they weren't going to do this while working on WAR, but now the dust has settled on that title, maybe now the time to campaign to Dark Age Two.

First, I would like to see a reversioning of DAoC (much like the new Star Trek film), rather than a sequel .

Dispite criticim, WAR is a good game and most of the game features are solid. Maps, quests, porting, avitars, front screens, keymapping, accessing abilities, skill trees, grouping, guild management and groups etcs. Also, you feel like a hero and important right from level one. Siege weapons works really well, but oil is always a pain. Ranks, and reknown works better than Realm Ranks. Also Tier work wells to break up the sections of leveling. Medallons for epic gear works well, as does the ward system for "buffs" to player armor (now) which can be earned in a number of ways.

Scenarios in WAR are often blamed for causing the failure of the game; however players like playing them, and that is the reason for gaming at the end of the day.  Personally, I thought the best way of getting players into the PvP lakes was to make the rewards worth it (and current loot system gets me out of scenarios into the lakes after the rewards)

For me, the way stealth is handled, public quests, individual class silouette, "buffs" for players in "battlegrounds" (PvP lakes) is better; and although not without it difficulties, invaiding enemy cities is cool.

What would need some work on would be crafting, DAoC created an economy but oh the grind, WAR crafting was well done but fairly pointless. Oh the whole, WAR market wasn't bad.

What we learned from WAR. Don't have three starting zones, or three battleground per tier. Why they did this I don't know, DAoC revamped itself from three starting zones to one starting zone per realm. Have a starter guild and gobal chats. I played WAR for three months before someone actually had a conversation with me; and my wife quit WAR as no-one ever talked to each other. Even now in WAR, everyone is forced to general chat in "Advice".

What we learned from DAoC. Three realms good, two realms bad. Having "your" land and "their" land, with boat trips between, actually work well (I preferred New Frontiers over old, by the way). Getting "your" towers back, actually ment something (while WAR zones and lock should have worked - they don't). Having and holding relics, needs to be in (as well as capital city raids). Dragons need to be in, even after nearly five year I never got to go on a raid, I have hopes that one day I'll get to do them. Buffbots are evil, the limited range buffs work much better. Lot of classes, and several viable builds gave a lot of interesting game play. Nice static dungeons work, and instant ones for variation in leveling.

What we learned from other MMOs. Music can be fun, playing midi files on your avitar is very addictive, bring it on :) Allow the look of your character to be determined as the player wants, while getting the +20 Str for the gear you want, but having the cool looking cloak from level 5 gear. Allow the creation of level 50 characters from the off. Oviously they will have a limited set of abilities, but allow character growth (over time) so that they can evolve. Not everyone wants to "play the game" to get to 50, some players just want access to the end game (and why not). Needless to say there had to be some "benefit" to leveling your character to 50 as to "buying" it fully grown.

Anyway - what you think?

Comments

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

Dark Age of Camelot was a really fine game, I agree. I'd also like to see a sequel in the manner you describe.

Sadly, I refuse to trust Electronic Arts to allow such an MMORPG to be developed properly. Warhammer Online and the many, many problems that game suffered from has the cause linked directly back to EA and their rushing tactics.

I won't get burned again.

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

I can understand your feelings Tedly224, although I'm not sure that more time (money) would have significantly improved WAR, either at launch or now.

I think much of WAR weakness lie in some of the fundamental design decisions which were presumable were made by Mythic rather than EA.

I do feel that EA is at a crossroads with WAR, and if they beleived in the product/ genre, they would push ahead with an expansion of classes, races, and PvE. Sadly, I expect that they are unlike to "gamble" more money on the game give that it has not lived up to the hype of it being a WoW killer. I don't see why this game couldn't have a stable population of around 100K subscribers, which is not bad for a MMO, but it would need considerable investment to get it to the next level. But we have seen LoTR continue  to expand with a not dissimular player base - so hope is not dead, yet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by noblot

Sadly, I expect that they are unlike to "gamble" more money on the game give that it has not lived up to the hype of it being a WoW killer.

Sadly that was the players who deemed it a "Wow killer". The devs were not aiming to make a "wow killer".

Always the players.

they are more than willing to create pie in the sky expectations and they are always willing to tear the games down as well.

Devs need to learn that if a game is not going to launch bug free and have what they mentioned in interviews on launch then they shouldn't launch the games.

Players need to learn to stop creating the ridiculous expectations. Nothing is a wow killer. WoW is what it is and in some ways is a genre all unto itself.

Take WoW out of the equation and start comparing games and you will find more similarities than differences.

EA Mythic responded their upcoming MMORPG Warhammer: The Age of Reckoning won't be a World of Warcraft killer. "We're not going to hit the same numbers as WoW." said by EA General Manager Mark Jacobs. While EA CEO John Riccitiello said: "Warhammer Online will be a strong entry in the MMORPG space, but will not rival WoW."

I do agree with your assertion that the problems with warhammer were mythic's problems.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

I would love to see a DAoC 2 also but that will only happen if Mythic has changed their stance on sequels.  I have seen it stated a few times in interviews that they do not believe in sequels.  However that was when Marc Jacobs was still in charge.  So maybe it is possible.  I am sure that they read various fansites and have to be aware that there is a fairly big demand for a new DAoC.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

I would love a DAOC2. Most of my gaming time was spent in the frontiers battling it out as a Mid. The concept was solid with three realms vying for control of strength and power relics.

I still recall like it was yesterday,  one of the huge battles at Mjolinor Faste over Midgards strength relic. Albion was sieging Midgard and were about to capture the strength  relic  when Hibernia knowing Albion with another strenght relic would make them op decided to flank the Albs just before the battle was won.  The Hibs ended up wiping but their action allowed Midgard to regroup and win the battle. Those were the days