Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lifetime Sub Refund

saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Has anyone gotten a refund of their lifetime sub money for this train wreck of a game?

How would one go about doing so?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Comments

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

Take 15 seconds to look through the titles of the forum posts in this section.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264
    Originally posted by saxifr

Has anyone gotten a refund of their lifetime sub money for this train wreck of a game?

Contacting their billing department is the only way really, but remember they don't have to give you a refund; there was some fine print on the offers that stated they were non-refundable. From what I have heard some have been able to get refunds, but be prepared for a long wait on the phone; an hour and a half average wait time is what i have been hearing, though that might be just for the support department.

A second way may be to contact your card holder (or Paypal if you used them), and talk to them about a reversal of charges. Different companies have different policies on what you need to do, and what you may have to prove in order for them to do it. There's a thread about that on these forums.

Your best bet is to try Cryptic's billing department first though.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

I'm sure a few have. No game is worth a lifetime sub. Also the game isn't a train wreck.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Uhm, someone that pays a lifetime subscription to a game they never even tried doesn't really deserve their money back.

I like the idea of a lifetime subscription but you must understand that buying any MMO without testing it first is a big risk, buying it for a lifetime is almost a 100% disappointment. 

Always try out any MMO before purchasing it (well, if you love the head dev you could give it a try anyways but you are still gambling then). There would be a lot less "I bought this game and I hate it" here if people actually researched and tested the games before buying them.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Loke666

Uhm, someone that pays a lifetime subscription to a game they never even tried doesn't really deserve their money back.
    I like the idea of a lifetime subscription but you must understand that buying any MMO without testing it first is a big risk, buying it for a lifetime is almost a 100% disappointment. 
    Always try out any MMO before purchasing it (well, if you love the head dev you could give it a try anyways but you are still gambling then). There would be a lot less "I bought this game and I hate it" here if people actually researched and tested the games before buying them.

Although I am a consumer rights type person I sort of agree with this post.

Maybe 'Lifers' shouldn't get a refund in this case?

I mean, all the warning signs were there. 

They purchased a product without seeing what they were getting despite warnings not to do so.

But, they just had to have it.  So, maybe this is a lesson that needs to be learnt?

My only concern is that many who have been burnt will never return to MMOs... but maybe they wouldn't have played anything besides a Star trek MMO anyway?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

This... Honestly people, How silly can you be?

Never buy something like that unless you know what your Buying.. For anything in Life... You wouldent Buy a T.V. from a Picture would you? Or a Car?

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

me agress, why an earth you go and buy a lifetime sub without having a decend opinion of the game first as form of a like 3 months... must be fan of the subject then.

Originally posted by m0lly

me agress, why an earth you go and buy a lifetime sub without having a decend opinion of the game first as form of a like 3 months... must be fan of the subject then.

While I would never shell out for a lifetime subscription without having seen the game, it's not like Cryptic gave them much choice in the matter; their last two games they made sure to both limit the amount of lifetime subscriptions available, and to end said offers before the game went live. While common sense should tell an experienced MMO player not to buy one in these conditions, I'm thinking that this title is seeing more than its share of those new to MMOs. It's not really decietful of Cryptic to do this, but it is borderline shady.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I heard that some people managed to get a refun for their life subs in Champions Online. Seeing as it is the same company then I dont see why it wouldnt be possible for STO as well.

Contact them and see what they say.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

I'm sure a few have. No game is worth a lifetime sub. Also the game isn't a train wreck.

Guild Wars is, since it is free (beside the initial cost)

• LeemegLeemeg Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Dinendae

Contacting their billing department is the only way really, but remember they don't have to give you a refund; there was some fine print on the offers that stated they were non-refundable. From what I have heard some have been able to get refunds, but be prepared for a long wait on the phone; an hour and a half average wait time is what i have been hearing, though that might be just for the support department.

A second way may be to contact your card holder (or Paypal if you used them), and talk to them about a reversal of charges. Different companies have different policies on what you need to do, and what you may have to prove in order for them to do it. There's a thread about that on these forums.

Your best bet is to try Cryptic's billing department first though.

I never got why everyone refering to "take a chargeback" if nothing else is working, especial if the reason is second thoughts of buying, regretting, remorse or anything similar.

Chargebacks is used for if there is actual something faulty that has been done by the merchant. Like if they havent given you the lifetime sub to you, even when you paid for it. Or some technically reasons as double deductions, error on the authorizations, sold to an minor, or fraud. If the buyer missuse the chargeback function they even may getting a fee themselves.

--
    Leemeg.

• EATtheDEADEATtheDEAD Member Posts: 207

haha it cracks me up to see everyone saying "why the hell would you get a lifetime sub for something you havent tried!?"

its true, but damn is it funny to see!

i mean pre-ordering a game you havent tried is bad enough, but spending a shit load of money to have a lifetime sub is the worst!

i just got my pre-order box version of Mortal Online and its a fucking empty box!! hahaha! i got trick fucked again!

1st preorder: Vanguard: Saga of Broken Game (collectors edition, paid 100 fuckin dollars for something that you can get for 10 bucks now) RAGE!

2nd preorder: Mortal Online, metal box is actually a thin foil wrapped around a cheap ass dvd holder with 2 dvd slots with 1 dvd inside with a client that is outdated so the disc is trash, no manual, and the damn box isnt even EMBOSSED! look at the fuckin website!  WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!

(just a little pissed off, lessons here. NEVER PREORDER and FOR GODS SAKE NEVER BUY LIFETIME SUBS!)

--------------------------------------
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The force shall free me.
    -the Sith code

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Unless their policies have changed, Cryptic will refund your lifetime or 12 month subscriptions within the first 30 days of launch (ie: during the included 30 day time with the game purchase). All you have to do is call their billing department and request it. They will ask you why (I would suggest being honest in hopes they might actually fix something for once), and promptly return your money.

Their billing customer support is actually pretty good. Its a shame that their in game support is not the same.

Cheers! 

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

People need to make sure the game is really good before buying such a sub offer. I am surprised it took this long for these threads to start showing.

everyone else probably already called visa/mc/amex and got thier charges reversed. 

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Ehm, if a company runs a lifetime sub option only before the game is released... buyer beware, man, buyer beware.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Frostbite05
    Originally posted by saxifr Has anyone gotten a refund of their lifetime sub money for this train wreck of a game?

LOTRO is worth it and still offers it 3 years after launch. Bought one myself. Cryptic games however, not a one has impressed me past the character creator.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

In every lifetime sub thread I always recommend strongly against it as I did in the 'Should I buy a lifetime sub?' thread in this very forum. Not only are you making a long term commitment to a game that you may or may not have tried but the very nature of MMOs is they will change over time. You may think a game is the greatest thing since sliced bread right now but how will you feel about it 3-6 months down the road? Lifetime subs are never a good idea.

Even if you've tried the game and love it you shouldn't buy one as you may not feel the same way 6 months down the road. It's the 'Honeymoon Syndrome'... You meet a girl and marry her within a month because you can't imagine finding someone better. You move in together and everything is great... for awhile. After about 3 months you realize that she has some personal traits that drive you frickin' nuts and at 6 months out you start to realize that you've made a terrible mistake. The divorce 6 months down the road is much easier if you still have a casual relationship(Monthly fee) than if you made a long term commitment(Lifetime Sub).

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Lifetime Sub = Hopeless optimistic with more money than common sense.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Thanks for all the advice, guys...I bought a lifetime sub based on the fact that it has "Star Trek" in the title...but boy have I learned a lesson!

I will call Cryptic and ask them if they will give my money back, and think really hard. twice before I jump like this again.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Thanks for all the advice, guys...I bought a lifetime sub based on the fact that it has "Star Trek" in the title...but boy have I learned a lesson!

I will call Cryptic and ask them if they will give my money back, and think really hard. twice before I jump like this again.

That's generally the best policy; never buy a lifetime subscription until you have tried the game out for yourself, either through getting a pre-order for open beta exposure or through a free trial after the game launches. If a game is only offering lifetime subscriptions before the game launches, then that should be setting off warning bells in your head. It's just unfortunate that you had to learn the hard way. Hopefully you will be able to get your money back one way or another.

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

Like you said, you learned your lesson, but it is really a poor choice the way that CBS is letting their Star Trek name be attached to a product that is such an expensive rip off.  But they are profiting too, so I guess they were happy to sell out.

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by championsFan

Like you said, you learned your lesson, but it is really a poor choice the way that CBS is letting their Star Trek name be attached to a product that is such an expensive rip off.  But they are profiting too, so I guess they were happy to sell out.

People, in general, DO NOT like feeling like they've been ripped off, and I think that's where a lot of the bad mojo for this game is coming from.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

I wouldnt be surprised if selling a product over internet/phone, that you had no way of testing otherwise, with no possibility of refund, would be considered fraudulent by nature in the EU. You get atleast 14 day refund on basicly everything you order over phone/internet here, even services like getting a new phone/internet provider. And since that is set in the law it supersedes any EULA/contract/agreement between a company and a buyer. Exceptions which are not protected are non natural persons(companys), private deals(no buisness involved, just two consumers), perishable products(like food), and special circumstances where providing a refund would be considered unreasonable for the buisness(for example if you order a custom built PC).

Usually software is also exempt from refunds, but not if the software is the means of connecting to a service and you want a refund of the service itself whitout which the software would become unusuable anyway.

If that doesnt work you can always pull the "it was my minor son who ordered it without my knowledge/permission"-card. Since minors are legally not able to form contracts without the consent of their parents its automatically void and considered to never have been in effect. Obviously you need a minor child in the household for this.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I thought a Lifetime Sub was a stupid idea when Hellgate: London was launched, but lots of people fell for it.  Eventually, most of the stuff they'd paid for was given free to players who weren't paying anything at all, which caused lots of rants and bile.  Eventually the game collapsed and died, leaving the poor Lifetime Sub people looking rather forlorn. I'm not saying STO will sink like the Failboat, but buying a lifetime sub is a huge risk.  You won't even know if you will still LIKE the game, after a few weeks of play.

I wouldn't pay in advance for a game that hasn't even been officially released - no way in hell.