Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS2 question (Region 2 / free)

ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I'm from Europe and have made my PS2 region free a long time ago already. Now I'm wondering if I can play FFXI on my PS2 when I buy the whole pack from the US (if I can find it...) and set my PS2 on region free.

...or would I be kicked from both the SE servers and PS2 servers for using a "hacked" PS2..?

Comments

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

You could have just imported a PS2 from region 1 and don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference between a R1 PS2 and a ... well ... jailbroken PS2. I know people who before the EU edition came out would order FFXI from America and played just fine, however they were on PC to the best of my knowledge. Bottom line, I don't think you would have a problem.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

That's an aweful big shot you give me there...

I've made it a ticket at SE. I hope they can shed some light on it.

Let me get this straight: it's not the price of the US FFXI, it's the postage that's bugging me. With that it I can't play FFXI, I probably can't play ANY game with the HDD and network interface that comes with the FFXI package...

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Wow! That's a quick reply from SE:

You will be able to access the game and your account on a PS2 but due to region conflict, you will not be able to access your account's details.
    ...but also extremely cryptic....
    What do they mean by not being able to access the account details..?
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Reizla

Wow! That's a quick reply from SE:

You will be able to access the game and your account on a PS2 but due to region conflict, you will not be able to access your account's details.
    ...but also extremely cryptic....

What do they mean by not being able to access the account details..?

I can only tell form experience with the PC. There are different "registration/login servers" by region. I have an US and an European account. I can not access the US account information with an installation of the EU playonline client and vice versa. The only way to do this is install both the US and EU play online client (need ot hack the registry as it gets overwritten etc.).

I assume it is the same for the PS2. If you have the EU PS2 you will use the EU login servers and you will not have access to your account details, meaning, you can not change CC info, Name, Address, Passwords etc.

Hope this helps.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"