Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its not that bad at all..

ikkenoikkeno Member UncommonPosts: 67

Its quite different from most other games I've played when it comes to leveling and xp, and i'll admit i was very confused the first day i played. I even felt i had to re-roll my ugly alien guy after a short time because i had no clue how the skill system worked. Also i found the spaceship piloting a bit clunky at first. Once i got the hand of it and figured out how to shift power to my different shields it was suddenly more fun.

That's kinda where i am heading with this post. Its quite fun.. Not mindblowing amazing awesomeness, but quite fun. And it works well for what it is; A solo oriented (if you please) instanced spaceship game with the odd running about with a lasergun missions.

There are few major bugs that i have noticed. I only crashed once in 3 days which is good for most brand new games. A friend have noticed several spelling errors in the mission texts and such, so if that's enough to make you vomit out of anger you might want a few patches. There are also some issues with the visibility of a few armors. there is allso a minor issue with pathing in some areas when you are running about with your guy, sometimes the NPC's will jump onto crates and fall down, nothing acually happens other than the animation. And unlike Fallen Earth its not glitchy and teleporty at all.

Graphics are also up to par unless Age of Conan is the best game you ever played..

Coming into this game i had zero expectations, which might be one of the reasons for the low score.. gamers are starved for the new MMORPG-jesus and therefore they murder anything that fails the fun they had with Everquest, Anarchy, Ultima or World of warcraft.. So when i play it now i see it as a Star Trek space game.. Not my next MMORPG-home, but just another game that i can doodle around in until the next title i'm waiting for releases.

After all this ranting, what i want to say is its not that bad, its actually quite fun. Try it.

[Mod edit]

- Nothing lasts.. but nothing is lost. -

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Some like it, most don't but seriously, how can you make a game with space and chop it up like a pizza pie ? I dunno, for me it is a major turn off to take a great ip and turn it into mush just so you can nickle and dime people with their item mall+monthly fee.

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Some like it, most don't but seriously, how can you make a game with space and chop it up like a pizza pie ? I dunno, for me it is a major turn off to take a great ip and turn it into mush just so you can nickle and dime people with their item mall+monthly fee.

you have the choice of not using the item mall.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by donjuanamigo

you have the choice of not using the item mall.

What about the monthly fee then?

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by ikkeno

God knows why the hateboys have slaughtered this games rating.

Its quite different from most other games I've played when it comes to leveling and xp, and i'll admit i was very confused the first day i played. I even felt i had to re-roll my ugly alien guy after a short time because i had no clue how the skill system worked. Also i found the spaceship piloting a bit clunky at first. Once i got the hand of it and figured out how to shift power to my different shields it was suddenly more fun.
    That's kinda where i am heading with this post. Its quite fun.. Not mindblowing amazing awesomeness, but quite fun. And it works well for what it is; A solo oriented (if you please) instanced spaceship game with the odd running about with a lasergun missions.
    There are few major bugs that i have noticed. I only crashed once in 3 days which is good for most brand new games. A friend have noticed several spelling errors in the mission texts and such, so if that's enough to make you vomit out of anger you might want a few patches. There are also some issues with the visibility of a few armors. there is allso a minor issue with pathing in some areas when you are running about with your guy, sometimes the NPC's will jump onto crates and fall down, nothing acually happens other than the animation. And unlike Fallen Earth its not glitchy and teleporty at all.
    Graphics are also up to par unless Age of Conan is the best game you ever played..

Coming into this game i had zero expectations, which might be one of the reasons for the low score.. gamers are starved for the new MMORPG-jesus and therefore they murder anything that fails the fun they had with Everquest, Anarchy, Ultima or World of warcraft.. So when i play it now i see it as a Star Trek space game.. Not my next MMORPG-home, but just another game that i can doodle around in until the next title i'm waiting for releases.

After all this ranting, what i want to say is its not that bad, its actually quite fun. Try it.

The so called hateboys, of which alot of them were people who had bought the game, slaughtered it for being utter IP wastage of almost biblical preportions, for it  doesnt represent the IP as much use it to make a cheap pew-pew game, and it is cheap.

It lacks depth, lacks reason (ie why the hell am I even leveling) its form and function, well the game feels like its aimed at a 6 year old, but based on IP that has a vast spread age as a following, of course it was going to get hate.

Honestly asked yourself, If I was a software company and I got the IP to Star trek, is this what I would come up with or be happy/proud of?  I would say a big hell no, but if I was going to run a fast IP money rape then a big HELL YES...Its a classic HYPE+LARGE BOX SALES= 1 year of lacklustre support and retention and POOF gone.

Your last line is the one I want to point out, "After all this ranting, what I want to say its not that bad, its actually quite fun. Try it."

And as I previously pointed out the hate is from alot of people that have tried it, and with lines like "its not that bad" that has got to be the lowest barrel scrape for an endoresment, remember when your mother would be standing there with a spoon of cough syrup and says to you, "Its isnt that bad", you damn well knew its was going to be bad, very bad in fact.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

In my opinion, its worth about $10 on steam w/30 days like Champions Online was a month ago.  I still wouldn't buy it though.

• ikkenoikkeno Member UncommonPosts: 67

I take it all back.

It was fun (honest!) for a few days. But then after doing the 17'th "Save the scientists" mission, and killing X number of X evil alien race's ships, it got really really tedious.

- Nothing lasts.. but nothing is lost. -

• Dragon71UKDragon71UK Member Posts: 86

Yeah it`s not that bad, and I could play it on and off, for a few hours a day, but not when it comes with a sub, and ingame shop, and then the current backgroud of the company that seems to suggest that they just want your money.

Played WOW (5 years), AOC, AO, EQ2,AC2, Horizons, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, CO, STO(Beta),ROM, Allods, and many other F2P titles. Asl been in beta for many of the main titles and played countless SP games. I have been gaming for 15+ years!

• KidjelKidjel Member Posts: 14

I have to agree as well... It is not that bad. I've been beta testing and subsequently playing many MMO/MMORPGs since 2001. It's certainly not the best or worst I've ever played, and it doesn't hold a candle to EVE. Its more stable and playable than many MMOs I've played in the first month after launch.

I'm a 'somewhat-more-than-casual' Star Trek fan and I'm certainly hoping that Cryptic won't just sit back and ride this IP without constantly listening to thier player population and growing the game over time (much as CCP has with EVE).

• AmonSulAmonSul Member Posts: 80

I take it all back.

It was fun (honest!) for a few days. But then after doing the 17'th "Save the scientists" mission, and killing X number of X evil alien race's ships, it got really really tedious.

LOL

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

I love the title of this thread, it made me remember a cartoon from way back. In the cartoon, a dog went to boot camp to get tougher. The pit bull instructor had many tasks for the dog to un dertake, one of whixh was like a pop-up rifle range; during that task, a giant cut-out of a cat popped up suddenly. The dog in training took off so fast that all that was left was a faint dust outline. The pit bull looked after him and said, "Not bad. Not good, but not bad." That line pretty much sums up STO for me; it's a mediocre game at best.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

STO is a fun space based mmo. I think it a blast and great fun to play.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

I take it all back.

Exactly what happened to me...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Not that bad does not equal good.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Not that bad does not equal good.

Not that good does not equal bad, either.

It simply implies that there is room for improvement, which in this case is accurate.

• SignalNoiseSignalNoise Member Posts: 39

seriously, how can you make a game with space and chop it up like a pizza pie ?

Because the alternative is having to actually travel the huge expanses of empty space to get anywhere exciting.

• HiHoEskimoHiHoEskimo Member UncommonPosts: 82

If you find other games such as EQ II, EVE and WOW get tedious STO is a nice change. If you have tons of hours free to play and nothing better to do  then STO is to short for you. If you are after uber equipment to bully other plays in pvp, STO is not your game. PVP is quite balanced. If you think PVP is not balanced then you need to stay with your team more. Stop trying to solo 3 people in PVP ;) !

• goldenkeygoldenkey Member UncommonPosts: 98

It's not that BAD LOL nope it's horrible the game lacks any depth at all. I have been a Star Trek fan for years and to see what Cryptic has done to this IP is criminal. while the starship combat is good that is all that is good about it and as a result it gets old fast. Cryptic could have developed worlds like Vulcan, Earth and other iconic star trek worlds where you could have followed story lines through quest that could has built some depth into the game but no they had to go cheap. I dropped the game after 2 weeks I'm now in AOC a game that has come a long way BTW. Funcom made some of the same mistakes Cryptic has and you would think Cryptic would have learned from Funcom's example but NO.

I will give Funcom some credit here they at least have learned from their mistake and have corrected a lot of the problems the game had at release. IMO MMO game developers should not undertake developing a game if they can't finance a 4 to 5 year development cycle much less than that almost always results in a cluster F***. In truth even if Cryptic added content the game design is so screwed up I do not think it can be fixed without going back to the drawing board.

• HiHoEskimoHiHoEskimo Member UncommonPosts: 82

My point is: Some will like STO it is not the horrible game that the masses here are making it out to be.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

How is it different?you have a hotbar ,hit the attack icon.You have boring same as usual quests.

I would not say as a game over all it is bad,but for myself ,i found it painful to login,the game offered nothing exciting,so for myself it was real bad,i had no problem deleting the game after first day.Since i was playing nothing at all when i tired the game,and was really looking for something to play,that does not say much for the game.

I blame STO for making me re sub to EQ2 lol,grrr i wish i never paid 3 months to play eq2,i forgot how bad the community has got,reminds me way too much of WOW.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by HiHoEskimo

My point is: Some will like STO it is not the horrible game that the masses here are making it out to be.

It is for the masses you speak of.

• goldenkeygoldenkey Member UncommonPosts: 98

I would like to point one thing out to all the star trek online fanboys this forum has not treated STO more harshly than any other mmo that has come out in resent memory. We savage and pick apart them all without mercy those that make it through the grinder are by and large very good games. STO from a MMORPG point of view is a very bad game it might make a good single player game but that is not how it's being marketed thus the harsh treatment.

• tjvoodootjvoodoo Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by goldenkey

I would like to point one thing out to all the star trek online fanboys this forum has not treated STO more harshly than any other mmo that has come out in resent memory. We savage and pick apart them all without mercy those that make it through the grinder are by and large very good games. STO from a MMORPG point of view is a very bad game it might make a good single player game but that is not how it's being marketed thus the harsh treatment.

I would change "single player game" to "flash game" because a single player game with that amount of bugs and content would be in the bargain bin within a week :)

• Shelby13Shelby13 Member Posts: 79

My 2 cents...

STO does not have the depth of other games.. not yet.   It has some fun parts, space combat is fun, ground combat is slowish-pace but I still find it fun.

What some MMO players forget to do is PACE themselves.   They get a sub.. they go to town ranking up as fast as they can... they do the same mission over and over again if its the fastest way they know to move up a rank, then they hit the 'end game' and they are too burn't out and bored to find it fun.

Its really easy to burn through new content.. even at launch.   STO has some depth.. but not to the same level as a 6 year old MMO.  And yes, they did not wait another 2 years to launch the game with more features (crafting and such), but thats not exactly a cardnal sin either.

Even the huge-budget SWG did not launch with a space-game... but it did have a ton of other features to explore/test/manipulate.

Part of the fun in a game, or at least for me, is exploring different character classes.. different ship types... different planets/settings... different mission stories.   STO has enough of 'those' kinds of things to do right now, unless you power-grind past all of them.

There is this myth that MMO's are only fun once you get to the 'end game' or in this case the 'highest rank'.   All the work the devs did between Ensign and Rear Admiral is being 'bypassed' as fast as possible by a select group of players.

I've been down that road already... and thats simply not the best way to experience a MMO to its fullest.

Try doing that with EvE... it forces you to wait...probably drive power-grinder players crazy waiting on real-time skill training to get them to the next level.

But, to each his own.   Not everyone wants to take the journey.. a lot just want to skip to the end.   STO does not need ten million subscribers for me to play it.   In fact, more does not = better for me.   Just enough players to keep the funding going so that it gets updated at a reasonable pace to keep it with the monthly subscription.

If STO starts to fall behind, I will suspend my subscription and play something else if I get bored.   Its not such a big deal... I am not looking for a  new virtual home to spend 18 hours a day playing.. just something fun I can do with my friends some evenings.

Till then.. players can keep trying to find the 'holy grail' of MMO.. or the next 'messiah' of MMOs.... and then proceed to nit-pit it to death when it comes into being.

Its player-nature.. and I wonder what it will eventually lead to.

SWG/STO/(SWTOR)