Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How the players will get the mmorpg we deserve.

sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

The amount of sales of STO really amazed me for how sub par of a game it is.  It isn't awful - It isn't what players were looking for next either.  Still people gave them millions of dollars.

What about this business model?

Step 1)  Find a development team dedicated to the players, not the pocketbook.

Step 2) Open house game development.  Spend a few months designing a realistic scope, get a game design approved by the majority of players, and test it with a physical prototype.  Is the game fun?  Is the core gameplay solid?

Step 3)  Sell the game.  No publishers, the players are the investors.  The devs have NO ONE to please but the players themselves.  If they want to make profit, they damn well better create a game these players will want to continue paying for after release.

Step 4) Design, with as much player interaction as possible from those investors.  Get as many systems in place and let people try it.  Even if you are using placeholder graphics, if it's fun and engaging, it won't matter if you are using blocks or high poly models. 

Step 5)  Make public each and every month what expenses were paid, how much money was paid and received and from where.  This will make sure that the player's money is spent making a game to please the players, and not being pocketed.

Step 6)  Keep the game in the player's hands even after release.  Don't keep the design secret.  Surprises are good, but actual game changing features should always be approved and tested by the community first.

Why I think this will work?  People seem to have no problem investing in a product they haven't seen.  The sad part is that companies are more worried about making their money back than pleasing the players.  In this situation, the company has no one to pay back besides the players themselves.  Profit will come in the form of monthly subs.  The design team won't be pressured to release at a certain date.  If the game takes a wrong turn at any stage of development it will be immediately discovered and repairable.  The game might not be the holy grail of mmorpgs on release, but all we need right now is a strong enough core game design to put that holy grail on.

I've been here a while...

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

you got to understand one thing some will buy it and leave it wrapped!why ?its star trek lot of people are collector that dont even game at all and other will buy 2 one for their collection and one to try.

in the end they will sell like hot cake

will there be lot of player in 3 month .probably not but who am i on this lol ,one thing is sure forget this is a game just think about the fact its startek and you will find it very easy to understand why it will sell lot of copy but i m not sure there will be many player since

million are startrek fan and collector but gamer ?i bet the list slim down very fast for the gamer !

• darkpath19darkpath19 Member Posts: 51

You really have no idea how much it costs to create a competitive MMO do you?

These so-called "investors" you speak of, are going to pump $20-50 million into a project up-front?

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I would prefer the word want instead of deserve. I'm a gamer and I don't think we deserve anything.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by sacredcow4

The amount of sales of STO really amazed me for how sub par of a game it is.  It isn't awful - It isn't what players were looking for next either.  Still people gave them millions of dollars.
    It has the Star Trek IP, do you have any idea how many people will just buy it when they see it in their gamestore, what many seem to forget is not every gamer will uses reviews, beta tests, forums, but the majority see's a game in a store and will buy it due to what's on the box. I bet even I would have bought it if I didn't beta test it or knew about it thru internet, but just would see it on the shelves in a gamestore due to it's IP.
    Step 1 most company's already take, as everyone in game making obvious already knows no dedicated players no pocket book.
    Step 2) Open house game development.  Spend a few months designing a realistic scope, get a game design approved by the majority of players, and test it with a physical prototype.  Is the game fun?  Is the core gameplay solid?
    Again something most gamecompany's already do, geez where have you been??? Just because YOU might think a game isn't fun doesn't mean those involved think the game isn't fun. You really think that gamecompany's want to deliver a game that aint fun?
    Step 3)  Sell the game.  No publishers, the players are the investors.  The devs have NO ONE to please but the players themselves.  If they want to make profit, they damn well better create a game these players will want to continue paying for after release.
    How much money do you really think to get? try and be realistic in answering this please.....
    Step 4) Design, with as much player interaction as possible from those investors.  Get as many systems in place and let people try it.  Even if you are using placeholder graphics, if it's fun and engaging, it won't matter if you are using blocks or high poly models. 
    Not been in any Alpha testing now have you?
    Step 5)  Make public each and every month what expenses were paid, how much money was paid and received and from where.  This will make sure that the player's money is spent making a game to please the players, and not being pocketed.
    Sorry but I feel you seem to have NO idea what so ever how much money is spend before there is any form of profit.
    Step 6)  Keep the game in the player's hands even after release.  Don't keep the design secret.  Surprises are good, but actual game changing features should always be approved and tested by the community first.
    Rather keep the game in the developers hands, by now we know players don't really know what they want, forums like this proof this day in day out. Obviously some do, but unfortunaly at forums they not in the many.
    Why I think this will work?  People seem to have no problem investing in a product they haven't seen.  The sad part is that companies are more worried about making their money back than pleasing the players.  In this situation, the company has no one to pay back besides the players themselves.  Profit will come in the form of monthly subs.  The design team won't be pressured to release at a certain date.  If the game takes a wrong turn at any stage of development it will be immediately discovered and repairable.  The game might not be the holy grail of mmorpgs on release, but all we need right now is a strong enough core game design to put that holy grail on.

I find it quite amusing how some people think in that company's don't want to deliver something that is fun, is it really that people asume that when a game isn't fun to them that these gamecompany's did this on purpose? Do people really think that just because they didn't like a game that nobody will like that game?

As said before in other topics, this new generation of people into games simply do not want to adept to the games they play but want the game to adept to their very own wishes.

Would like to see you get dedicated players together to raise a few thousand + dollars or euro's, would like to see to have a couple of thousands players all in a collective state of mind wanting the same things, but reality is harsh.

If you feel so strong about your points who is stopping you to put your idea out there and get to work on it, I will definitly have allot of respect if you would be able to do this. But wih the mindset I read you have I honostly doubt you will be able to pull this off.

• demcdemc Member Posts: 292
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Originally posted by sacredcow4

It has the Star Trek IP, do you have any idea how many people will just buy it when they see it in their gamestore, what many seem to forget is not every gamer will uses reviews, beta tests, forums, but the majority see's a game in a store and will buy it due to what's on the box. I bet even I would have bought it if I didn't beta test it or knew about it thru internet, but just would see it on the shelves in a gamestore due to it's IP.
    Step 1 most company's already take, as everyone in game making obvious already knows no dedicated players no pocket book.
    Again something most gamecompany's already do, geez where have you been??? Just because YOU might think a game isn't fun doesn't mean those involved think the game isn't fun. You really think that gamecompany's want to deliver a game that aint fun?
    How much money do you really think to get? try and be realistic in answering this please.....
    Not been in any Alpha testing now have you?
    Sorry but I feel you seem to have NO idea what so ever how much money is spend before there is any form of profit.
    Rather keep the game in the developers hands, by now we know players don't really know what they want, forums like this proof this day in day out. Obviously some do, but unfortunaly at forums they not in the many.

I find it quite amusing how some people think in that company's don't want to deliver something that is fun, is it really that people asume that when a game isn't fun to them that these gamecompany's did this on purpose? Do people really think that just because they didn't like a game that nobody will like that game?

As said before in other topics, this new generation of people into games simply do not want to adept to the games they play but want the game to adept to their very own wishes.

Would like to see you get dedicated players together to raise a few thousand + dollars or euro's, would like to see to have a couple of thousands players all in a collective state of mind wanting the same things, but reality is harsh.

If you feel so strong about your points who is stopping you to put your idea out there and get to work on it, I will definitly have allot of respect if you would be able to do this. But wih the mindset I read you have I honostly doubt you will be able to pull this off.

I agree with Reklaw.