Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions please

rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

Tax time is here and I'm looking for a new computer to run most MMOs and some single player games on high or max smoothly. Not looking for some super OC'd uber gaming machine, I just want to be able to enjoy them for a few years and have them look shiny. Currently playing Eve, STO and wanting to try DarkFall. Future single player games will include Diablo 3, StarCraft 2 and other like games. So here is my proposed build. And if you can find better, cheaper. Let me know. With other little odds and ends, it costs about $957 from Ibuypower.

Case

iBUYPOWER A235 Gaming Tower Case Black

Processor

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 Black Edition Dual-Core CPU

Processor Cooling

XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooling Fan System H.D.T. (Heat-pipe direct touch) technology

Memory

4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card

ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - Single Card

Motherboard

MSI 770-C45 -- AMD 770 Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 1 PCI-E MB

Power Supply

650 Watt -- Casegears ECO-Element 80 Plus Certificated High Efficiency Power Supply SLI Ready

Primary Hard Drive

320 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive

22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Flash Media Reader/Writer

12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

We have the technology. We have the capability to build it better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster, cheaper. 

Just saying if you build it yourself it will be better for that price range.  For an iBuyPower system you are paying alot for a little.

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Cleffy

We have the technology. We have the capability to build it better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster, cheaper. 
    Just saying if you build it yourself it will be better for that price range.  For an iBuyPower system you are paying alot for a little.

Thanks but I'm not an experienced builder. Plus I'm pretty much asking how the system would run newer games and future games.

It isn't really a balanced build so it won't play games too well.  I will see if I can find better for less.

Also I made what I think to be a good configuration for $955. CyberPowerPC Config  It has a Quad Core, 4GB Ram,an HD5770, and Windows 7.  The Open Box is still the better choice here.

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

Excellent. I thank you sir.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Seems a bit dodgy somehow, keep seeing the same company names for advertising systems, yet the systems dont seem to be all that competatively priced - nor all that good when it comes to actual pc gaming systems, it really is a good idea to shop around more, good deals are there to be had, but you have to look around to find them, some of these online vendors seem a bit dodgy imo. perhaps im just a bit paranoic .... as for building the systems yourself, unless your going to water cool the things, its really pretty simple. and can save you a ton of cash

The problem is there isn't anyone in the desktop arena selling PCs at PowerPC prices using standard OEM parts like Corsair, NZXT, and Thermaltake.  I did a bit of shopping around for those 3 PCs, those were the best prices.  Especially the one with an HD5870 which would have been half the cost of the tower.  You will nearly always find newegg used for shopping because nothing beats their service right now.  Fast, Cheap, and Quality.

• StansilusStansilus Member Posts: 5

Hey Rashhero,

Looking at your original PC build it should be able to handle the games list that you are describing. Your limiting factor in the long run will eventually be the Phenom processor but if the board you pick up has room to upgrade down the road then you will be solid. The upcomming blizzard titles (SC2/Diablo3) have minimum specs that are aimed to run on pretty much any PC (Geforce 7 or higher on a p4) and diablo will probably be similar.

I think you would be good to go with this PC, just give yourself room for upgrades in the future so you don't have to buy a whole new PC you can just replace a part.

Nothing made in 2010 will have an upgrade future past 2012.  LGA 1366 and LGA1156 are going to be obsolete by Intels next architecture.  Also its doubtful AMD Fusion will be able to use the same board architecture as previous AMD sockets.  I wouldn't bother thinking about upgrading this time around.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Bump up to an X4 processor and you'll be fine.