Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newb friendly FPS?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,228

 I'm usually an MMO gamer. But, my time has run thin and I need something I can jump into and play. I like PVP, and FPS games seem to be the way to go for that. I don't know anything about them these days other than having Halo 3 for 360 (don't really like it). What are some games on PC that alot of people play that I could try?



 

image

Comments

  • picamonpicamon Member Posts: 81

    me too im looking for a new game, so can i join on game u will play?

  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,180

    Battlefield 2, COD4, Battlefield bad company 2 will be releasing soon. AVP just released which has excellent MP function IMO.

    Another option is picking up mount and blade on steam, it comes with a key for the MP beta which rocks IMO.

    If you want more realism look into operation flash point:Dragon rising.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

    CoD4 is the best PC FPS atm, hands down.

     And for being n00b friendly:

    It's one of those FPS where you lvl up and unlock items. Although, if you start playing with the better players, I mean the really good players, you will see that the majority of them don't use the upper tier weapons, they use the MP5. It's got good ammo consumption, great damage, great accuracy, and is just the best all around weapon in the game. You get the MP5, the first time you start playing. You don't get all the great skills at first, but that's a good thing. You need to learn the game before you start messing around with the different skills anyway.

     

    Just stay away from Martydom and Last Stand please. Whoever put those in the game should be shot. Seriously, when you die a grenade shouldn't fall out your butt and LS is just a bullet and time waster. The only thing LS does is get the person who killed you killed while he has to take the time to finish you off, even though he just killed you. It's retarded.

  • johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

    No FPS that you play online will be newb friendly. Why? Because everyone else will already have that much more time on you.

    Honestly, I'd suggest starting with one of the Halo games on campaign mode. Halo 2 is pretty awesome and as I've noticed, Halo 2 and 3 both require much less strategy than other shooters. That's why I'm suggesting it.

    I'd suggest Gears of War or its sequel (gah, beat them on Insane and you'll be ready for anything!) but they require you to know how the general FPS works and use cover well.

    I wouldn't start with Battlefield Bad Company, though. The online play is all it's worth playing for, and as I said, you need to get your feet wet in offline play first.

    Maybe Modern Warfare 2 would be good as well. Great campaign. Horrible "solo everything" mentality online.

    EDIT: Oh, you have Halo 3, lol. Play Gears of War 2 or Modern Warfare 2. GoW = team player, MW = solo player.

    EDIT2: A lot of people play WolfTeam, but it's a harsh environment there.

  • dkniftondknifton Member Posts: 24

    counter strike source classic FPS

  • astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

    I'd suggest you try to check out Global Agenda. It is a multiplayer FPS..err actually third person shooter to be exact. Game play is fun. It is fast-paced and really requires good teamwork in positioning force sheilds, heal stations, traps, etc.

    You can get on and get some missions or PvP done in short times.

    It is very Newb friendly now (it just came out everyone is a newb).

    It it thinking about becoming an MMO, i would not be surprised if it becomes one in an expansion, but right now it is limited in its Massiveness.

    "Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

  • dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400
    Originally posted by TheHatter


    CoD4 is the best PC FPS atm, hands down.
     And for being n00b friendly:
    It's one of those FPS where you lvl up and unlock items. Although, if you start playing with the better players, I mean the really good players, you will see that the majority of them don't use the upper tier weapons, they use the MP5. It's got good ammo consumption, great damage, great accuracy, and is just the best all around weapon in the game. You get the MP5, the first time you start playing. You don't get all the great skills at first, but that's a good thing. You need to learn the game before you start messing around with the different skills anyway.
     
    Just stay away from Martydom and Last Stand please. Whoever put those in the game should be shot. Seriously, when you die a grenade shouldn't fall out your butt and LS is just a bullet and time waster. The only thing LS does is get the person who killed you killed while he has to take the time to finish you off, even though he just killed you. It's retarded.

    I have to say that the ACR is the best weapon in the game if you prefer spray and pray dual G18's work fabulous.

     

     

  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by dirtyjoe78



    I have to say that the ACR is the best weapon in the game if you prefer spray and pray dual G18's work fabulous.

     

    LIES 

    MP5 PWNS ALL!

     

    Heh, no the G18's or whatever they are are nice, but I just suck with them for some reason. I'm better with the AK than I am the G18s. The AK has a ton of power and if you shoot it in small bursts, it's extremely accurate. I actually have a class set up with an AK and CCO as a sniper type class.

  • PalebanePalebane Member UncommonPosts: 3,212

    Surprised nobody has mentioned Team Fortress 2 yet. It is the most well-balanced class-based PvP game in existence in my opinion. Players with more skill are going to have an advantage, but its not that difficult for a newb to kill them. They even have a medic class, so all you have to do is chase your own teamates around. Another very newb-friendly class is the soldier, in which the hardest part about learning the class is to not blow yourself up.

    Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

  • johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by Palebane


    Surprised nobody has mentioned Team Fortress 2 yet. It is the most well-balanced class-based PvP game in existence in my opinion. Players with more skill are going to have an advantage, but its not that difficult for a newb to kill them. They even have a medic class, so all you have to do is chase your own teamates around. Another very newb-friendly class is the soldier, in which the hardest part about learning the class is to not blow yourself up.

    Wrong. That title would go to Team Fortress Classic and I'm sure plenty will back me on that one.

    TF2 is newb friendly...maybe too much so.

    TFC was the shooter.

  • zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

    Originally posted by Palebane


    Surprised nobody has mentioned Team Fortress 2 yet. It is the most well-balanced class-based PvP game in existence in my opinion. Players with more skill are going to have an advantage, but its not that difficult for a newb to kill them. They even have a medic class, so all you have to do is chase your own teamates around. Another very newb-friendly class is the soldier, in which the hardest part about learning the class is to not blow yourself up.

    Wrong. That title would go to Team Fortress Classic and I'm sure plenty will back me on that one.

    TF2 is newb friendly...maybe too much so.

    TFC was the shooter.

    Agreed.  TFC was the shit back in the day, and it took over my life for quite a while.  I just can't get into TF2 all that much.  I go back every update, but its just kinda meh for me.  Maybe if my precious engy didn't feel so second rate compared to the others.  Ah well, point is, TFC=perfection.

  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

    TF2 is lame, that's really the best way to describe it.

    There is virtually no skill in TF2, you point and shoot. The only classes that take a little bit of skill are sniper and scout. It can be fun, but it's just so incredibly basic that I can't play it for any amount of time.

     

    Honestly, TF2 feels like I'm playing a FPS underwater or something.

  • ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 104

    Well, after reading your post I could suggest this as a title that would likely suit your needs and interests.

    http://www.nerfarena.com/

    This one may even be more to your liking.

    http://www.frogames.com/penguins_arena/

  • PalebanePalebane Member UncommonPosts: 3,212
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

    Originally posted by Palebane


    Surprised nobody has mentioned Team Fortress 2 yet. It is the most well-balanced class-based PvP game in existence in my opinion. Players with more skill are going to have an advantage, but its not that difficult for a newb to kill them. They even have a medic class, so all you have to do is chase your own teamates around. Another very newb-friendly class is the soldier, in which the hardest part about learning the class is to not blow yourself up.

    Wrong. That title would go to Team Fortress Classic and I'm sure plenty will back me on that one.

    TF2 is newb friendly...maybe too much so.

    TFC was the shooter.

     

    To each their own.  I though TFC was ugly and boring.

    Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

  • PalebanePalebane Member UncommonPosts: 3,212
    Originally posted by TheHatter


    TF2 is lame, that's really the best way to describe it.
    There is virtually no skill in TF2, you point and shoot. The only classes that take a little bit of skill are sniper and scout. It can be fun, but it's just so incredibly basic that I can't play it for any amount of time.
     
    Honestly, TF2 feels like I'm playing a FPS underwater or something.

     

    sounds like newb friendly to me.

    Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

  • inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669
    Originally posted by raystantz


     I'm usually an MMO gamer. But, my time has run thin and I need something I can jump into and play. I like PVP, and FPS games seem to be the way to go for that. I don't know anything about them these days other than having Halo 3 for 360 (don't really like it). What are some games on PC that alot of people play that I could try?


     

     

    Battlefield Bad Company 2

    Generation P

  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by Palebane

    Originally posted by TheHatter


    TF2 is lame, that's really the best way to describe it.
    There is virtually no skill in TF2, you point and shoot. The only classes that take a little bit of skill are sniper and scout. It can be fun, but it's just so incredibly basic that I can't play it for any amount of time.
     
    Honestly, TF2 feels like I'm playing a FPS underwater or something.

     

    sounds like newb friendly to me.

     

    Yeah, but you're not really going to learn anything useful to apply in much better games.

  • johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by TheHatter

    Originally posted by Palebane

    Originally posted by TheHatter


    Honestly, TF2 feels like I'm playing a FPS underwater or something.

     

    sounds like newb friendly to me.

     

    Yeah, but you're not really going to learn anything useful to apply in much better games.

    Exactly. Like TFC. =D

  • picamonpicamon Member Posts: 81

    what kind of game you like? what genre? fantasy, war, old days, futuristic?

  • LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

     Offline: Crysis, now avilable in a pack that includes both stand-alone single-player games + multiplayer stuff. Personally, I enjoyed the visuals and the story, good game for sure. Farcry 2 was also quite cool, but good a bit boring half-way through (for me, anyway).

    Online: The Upcoming Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Battelfield games are more about teamwork, because you have different archetypes, vehicles, object-based maps etc. Will be good, I am sure. 

    Any online FPS will not be  newb friendly though. It's PvP, after all. Success depends on skill, and skill comes with practice. But B:BC2 is bound to be a good start, because of it's team-based approach. Modern Warfare 2 on the other hand is not (not to mention the amount of cheating on PC). 

     

     

Sign In or Register to comment.