Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you ever hate paying for a MMO and get bored 2 weeks later? I just did it again.

kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

LOTRO not a bad game but does not suit me well I got like 3 month sub and both the adventure pack and exp and it came to hmm $70 with 3 months lol and I quit.

This one the reason why I also hated never being able to resell accounts. Not even whats on it but just sell say the key I mean you did buy it like a 360 game lol

Oh well anyone do this recent with other games?

SNIP

Comments

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I played Fallen Earth for 4 weeks and didnt find the game to my liking and unsubbed b4 my CC was charged. I really enjoyed WOW until all the changes (BC and on)  ruined it for me. I really havent found a game that got its hooks into me like WOW did. Eve is close but not close enough.

(DDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH fires plungers at Blizzard for the awful changes to WOW)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I played Champions Online and liked it, pre-ordered it, subscribed and then they did that update and my opinion changed.  I never even took it out of the mailing package.  Cryptic, however, was nice enough to refund my money for the subscription.  That doesn't happen very often.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I have done this many times. Some games just don't grab you. You want to like them. You try to like them. But after a while you start thinking it would be more fun to wash your socks.

A related and arguably worse feeling is "what the hell was I thinking when I quit that other game?" Then you go back to the old game and after a few weeks you remember why you quit.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

You feel so good and heck 2 hours later it could end or 2 days later but damn I hate when it happens. I bet I spent 1000's easily over the last 2-3 years.

SNIP

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Seems to be a trend in this industry.  Warhammer and Vanguard did it to me as well.  Bought the collectors edition of both.

ALMOST bought CE Age of Conan, but luckily got into beta before I had to buy.  I really wanted to pre-order Star Trek but I've been burned so many times they know me by my first name at the burn unit.

Seriously, unless it's a smashing hit or I get to truly try before I buy (none of this trial island BS that SOE puts out), then that company isn't getting my money.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

"Hay guys, we'll be releasing this MMO X with cool NEW features such as leveling your class to level X, skill trees, twitch based combat with WoW UI and skills, raiding and instancing, crafting that is in form of a minigame, quest based character progression (the exclamation marks are RED! you didn't see that innovation coming!) and most important of all ignoring the gameplay aspects of the game to make room for improvements to features such as PLAYER CUSTOMIZATION, different WEATHER EFFECTS, ABILITY TO D Y E  Y O U R   F I N G E R N A I L S, and all NEW races such as Hulf, Elman, Orll and Trorc!

And don't worry, we'll keep on the trend of promising a lot of new stuff to the game like FLYING HOT AIR BALLOONS but never implement them. One promise we'll keep though. The game will be released 6 months too early."

I do hope you all catch my sarcasm. Playing the same game for 10 times in a different setting works for some, but it's not for me (and neither for you, it seems). 

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Has happened to me once or twice usually when i get sick of grinding and feel like playing something else.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Binny45

Seems to be a trend in this industry.  Warhammer and Vanguard did it to me as well.  Bought the collectors edition of both.
    ALMOST bought CE Age of Conan, but luckily got into beta before I had to buy.  I really wanted to pre-order Star Trek but I've been burned so many times they know me by my first name at the burn unit.
    Seriously, unless it's a smashing hit or I get to truly try before I buy (none of this trial island BS that SOE puts out), then that company isn't getting my money.

if you like the trial island of eq2 absolutely no reason you shouldnt like the rest of  the game

Has the trial island changed in eq2? or is it the same from like 3 years ago where you start at a beach and ur there till like level 7?

SNIP

• flaZhflaZh Member UncommonPosts: 144

I'm doing it all the time, pay to try. And ending up nah, don't like it. Also, most of the time I need some kinda relation to the game/story, to like the game. Like WoW, had relations to Warcraft, that I played all the way back. But other games even the free ones, Allods f.ex. Don't really have the relation, why play it, "why am I this elf again?" - it's no fun.

Have relations to Warhammer, but I feel it's not really that full with content. Ever since release, nothing new, really.. But I really look forward to SWTOR. Hope they make it as good as I hope and expect. Until then, I guess WoW will keep me some more, and Global Agenda, seems decent. I played Unreal Tournament some, and love the gamestyle so far.

• DethevanDethevan Member UncommonPosts: 60

You never had to stay on the island if you didn't want to.  You could always go to the dock, talk to the captain on the boat, and go to the city and do quests from there. Then again, the entire game is open during your trial so you can always start in Gfay, Gorowin, or Darklight Woods. *shrug*

Currently playing EverQuest 2

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Age of Conan - Lasted about 2 weeks 

Everquest 2 - about  a month

Lord of the Rings - 1 week

Vanguard - 1 month

Fallen Earth - 2 weeks

Warhammer - Thank god I beta tested

City of Heroes - A couple of days

Aion - Thank god I beta tested

Star wars galaxies - Couple of days

EVE online - 1 day

Darkfall - 2 weeks (just resubbed again, and getting the same feeling as I have the last 4 times I've done this)

The only two games I have actually stayed subbed to for an extended period has been..

FFXI and World of Warcraft.. imagine that.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Can't say I've experienced that a lot.  About the only game I quit within two weeks was CO and seeing how I only spent $10 on it wasn't really a big deal.  Even as huge a debacle as AoC was I at least had a blast with the people I met in the game.  Granted it was more poking fun at how bad things were and we all jumped ship soon as another game became available but in the end at least there was a silver lining even in that piece of shit. 

Other games that would have been a major dissappointment I was rather fortunate and got a chance to try them out without investing any money in them.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

Well I've been playing Flyff for almost 3 years now and 1 year playing  Atlantica Online, which is both a f2p games.... Well i'm not into p2p games because for me there's a lot of f2p games that is better than the p2p.... and you have a choice whether to spend money for  it and once I get tired of it I just look for other games... :)

Originally posted by Myrean

Well I've been playing Flyff for almost 3 years now and 1 year playing  Atlantica Online, which is both a f2p games.... Well i'm not into p2p games because for me there's a lot of f2p games that is better than the p2p.... and you have a choice whether to spend money for  it and once I get tired of it I just look for other games... :)

Yeah I'm going try Allods Online once its open beta IF they get their act togeather. I know Flyff is another one but if I recalled it was to asian for me whats atlantica like is that the one closer like WoW or is that the one more like FF the single player game in combat style that is.

SNIP

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

Neither are very deep, and from what I remember of Flyff, the translations to English are pretty bad. Kinda breaks the immersion (what little of it there is)

Atlantica seemed alright, but seemed small and again not very deep.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Champions Online was the absolute last time I'll buy a game on release. I got bored after two days - it was just awful. Luckily I managed to sell my account. Shame I didn't have my new found cynicism when I bought D&D Online and AoC. Oh, well, third times' a charm.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

Shame I didn't have my new found cynicism when I bought D&D Online...

That is true.  Forgot about that game.  That was really disappointing not to mention buggy as hell.

Nothing like being wiped by beholders that cast everything under the sun while being in a completely separate room and waxing you through the walls  or mobs that went pk haywire >_>

Of course, pk was simply all around simply silly for a while there whether it was used by mobs or players.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

OP, it sounds like you're burned out on the genre.  Maybe take a break for a while? 

Burn out is nature's way of getting us to try different things.  MMOs are pretty much the same when you get down to it.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Originally posted by uquipu

OP, it sounds like you're burned out on the genre.  Maybe take a break for a while? 
    Burn out is nature's way of getting us to try different things.  MMOs are pretty much the same when you get down to it.

I don't like anything but mmo's

SNIP

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Normally: happens to me about half the time I guess. But I keep learning, it's a long time ago since that happened to me the last time (AoC). :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by kanechart

Originally posted by uquipu

I don't like anything but mmo's

That's what i thought before i started playing single player RPG's on consoles, MMOs dont compare.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Played WoW for 3 or so years, and now I've had Darkfall since around last April.  In between were a multitude of games...probably 10-12 of em, if not more, all lasting less than a month.  It seems it always starts with "Oooh, I can't wait to get this thing downloaded and play the hell out of it!", which slowly turns into "OOh, there's another game!  Lemme uninstall this one (since I'm not having fun playing it) and go for that one!".  A vicious cycle, but oh well.  Soon I'll have a little rugrat running around, which I figure will severely limit my gaming.  Might as well go apeshit on whatever's out there now, eh?

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

Played WoW for 3 or so years, and now I've had Darkfall since around last April.  In between were a multitude of games...probably 10-12 of em, if not more, all lasting less than a month.  It seems it always starts with "Oooh, I can't wait to get this thing downloaded and play the hell out of it!", which slowly turns into "OOh, there's another game!  Lemme uninstall this one (since I'm not having fun playing it) and go for that one!".  A vicious cycle, but oh well.  Soon I'll have a little rugrat running around, which I figure will severely limit my gaming.  Might as well go apeshit on whatever's out there now, eh?

Go apeshit LOL

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by kanechart

Has the trial island changed in eq2? or is it the same from like 3 years ago where you start at a beach and ur there till like level 7?

It doesn't matter since now the trial allows you to level to 20 and go anywhere you please.  They added more starting zones though, so you aren't limited to that island.