Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any decent MMORPGs still exist?

SacredSacred Member Posts: 19

I've played MMOs for quite some time (started back in the 1990's) but as of late have become disillusioned with the online games industry in general. I've tried a lot of different games but can't seem to find any that compare to the likes of WeMades Legend of Mir: The Three Heroes, The Myth of Soma, LoM: III etc

Anyway enough rambling on, I've recently been playing Perfect World and after that Aion. Loved Perfect World, pretty much ticked all the boxes I wanted, close community, easy to make a name of yourself, interesting game and no max level (Y) only downside was that it was a cash shop game. At first I didn't use the cash shop at all, easily done at lower levels but as I leveled up I found it more and more difficult to compete without spending real money, after playing the game for 5 months I had spent almost £300 on just pixles and had to stop playing because if I kept playing I would keep spending!! On the flipside Aion was a beautiful game but it just lacked any community feel, had level caps, the game was far too "easy", its idea of flying didnt even meet that of Perfect World (yeah being able to fly for up to 60 seconds is really a major selling point......NOT) things with it just didn't feel right that coupled with the hundred or so botters collecting all of the rare materials and farming quest mobs made it very annoying.

To the point of my post, I'm looking for a subscription based MMORPG (will not play any cash shop games again), graphics are not overly important as long as the game exibits a good community (sorry but the community of games like WoW drive me up the wall), not too old as I don't want to join into a game a year or more after its release and lastly dosent look too childish. I also can't afford to buy a retail game so the game has to be free to download//try.

Any ideas what to try?

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Try the Ryzom 21-day free trial. I wish I ran into it a long time ago, very decent game.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

NO!

• MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181

As for myself, the "cant be more than a year old" part left me with no ideas. I dont think that there has been a game released within the last year that is worth trying. As for free trials, again the within the last year thing kind of kills that as well as most games dont offer free trials that soon.

Edit for spelling.

• SacredSacred Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by MavisP

As for myself, the "cant be more than a year old" part left me with no ideas. I dont think that there has been a game released within the last year that is worth trying. As for free trials, again the within the last year thing kind of kills that as well as most games dont offer free trials that soon.
    Edit for spelling.

Do you know of any games that are older than a year that will still offer a decent amount of gameplay without leaving one feeling as though they are stuck in the dark ages as "everyone else" is so far ahead/advanced?

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Darkfall is 1 y old and its a blast...growing and getting better like fine wine...

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Sacred

Do you know of any games that are older than a year that will still offer a decent amount of gameplay without leaving one feeling as though they are stuck in the dark ages as "everyone else" is so far ahead/advanced?

The genre has been quite stale for the last couple of years. I'd suggest waiting for new games to come out. Some major IP's are released this year, maybe you could look into them.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Sacred

Originally posted by MavisP

Edit for spelling.

eq2 gets a new starting area so there will be ton of new player in those area ,same with perfect world ,im playing that till eq2 sentinel of fate is released and men the server dream is packed hell all but 2 server were on high all week-end and server i was playing had ton player in the starting area(the new race)

• kwoshkwosh Member Posts: 109

It is an older game, but you might try Istaria :chronicles of the gifted...  it came out about the same time WoW did (nothing like wow at all  everything in game is made    from housing to gear to weapons etc...  you can even be a Dragon that flys if you like  .. its a slower paced game  but can be challenging if your not careful at pulling too many mobs...  the community??   there IS NOT a better one... close knitted  they are and helpful... its free to D/L and you can even try it indefinatly for free with a basic one character account (cant buy a plot but thats down the road anyway)  the free version  you can actually do ALL things but buy a plot    give it a try its free  ( im on the RP server  ORDER)  my charcter name is Cata  (Saris Feline race)  Cleric/warrior  eventually a Paladin   the classes are  well different as  you can choose what you want to be... be it a mage/healing class?    warrior/mage class  etc  or  be  ALL classes in one form or another...   spooky blighted areas   too many things to say... and as far as the rating goes for this game?   they arnt correct... its way better than they say it is    and getting better all the time

• SacredSacred Member Posts: 19

I like the sound and look of Darkfall but its asking for 42 euros....is it not possible to get a free trial or something as I said I can't afford to pay more than a monthly subscription (am unemployed)

• JureKraljJureKralj Member Posts: 20

No.

• CitiusCitius Member Posts: 69

EVE Online...great community and a mature thinking man's game.  

Played: World of Warcraft (5Y), WarHammer (3M), Anarchy Online, Runescape (5+Y), Lord of the Rings Online, Runes of Magic, City of Heroes/Villains, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Fallen Earth (1M)

Currently Playing: Guild Wars
    Currently Trying: None
    Taking a Break From: EVE Online

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by JureKralj

No.

...says the guy looking for the "Best Game Evar"

There are plenty left, starting with Wurm, LOVE, Golemizer, Pirates of the Burning Sea and Endless Ages

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278

While I have not played it (so please don't quote me on this) I have heard a lot of good things about Falle Earth. It currently has a free trial and, well come to think of it, I'm not even sure why I haven't tried it yet myself.

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.