Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long Queues Anyone?

SideTraKdSideTraKd Member Posts: 100

I logged into STO today to find that the server is full and there is a queue.   I was number 255 out of 400 or so...  no big deal, right?

I hung out for a while, didn't see a change.  Decided to go ahead and go to the store to pick up a few things, came back, and now I am 253 out of 1600.  I gained two places in the half hour that I was gone?  Pretty crazy.  I'm still interested in playing the game, but if I have to spend most of my allotted gaming time waiting in queue, it's a wasted effort.  I'm hoping this clears up a great deal before Tuesday, because it can only get worse with all of the regular subs coming in. 

Anyone else having trouble today?

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I finally got in after a bit only to get d/c'd while loading to another zone.... went back in line 1602/1602.... I don't know how they plan for this game to be successfull when they do not have enough room for preorders... guess they want low numbers like CO and this is their way of weeding out the excess. I hate to sound negative but I have not been able to play once this entire headstart. I suppose I will just not pick up my preorder until after this game has time to either a) lose enough players so that I can actually play or b) add more equipment to handle the load.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• MataaMataa Member Posts: 24

Same issue here. I was number 1602/1602. Got in, tried to load mission, froze. Restart, back in que at 1643/1768. So wait for 10 min to freeze to go back in que. I am enjoying the game so far......when I actually get to play which hasn't been much last 2 days.

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279

Ya EPIC FAIL by Criptic on this headstart.  It's been down as much as it's been up.  Been VERY laggy.  Now I was playing my main toon and logged to create and reserve my borg toon and it puts me in a queue at 1484 of 1951 after over 30 minutes!!! 

I mean COME ON!!!  I didn't even log off the entire game just that toon!!!!  I should have been able to log back into the game with NO issue!!!

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Bren, the people who should be playing right now are paying customers. This is headstart, not open beta.

I don't think headstarts are a good idea, but they did pay to be playing right now.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Bren, the people who should be playing right now are paying customers. This is headstart, not open beta.
    I don't think headstarts are a good idea, but they did pay to be playing right now.

As I said, they seriously underestimated the server load. That has only happened in about 3/4 of the MMO launches I've been a part of. To say that they don't care or won't fix the issue because they don't need paying subs because all they care about is money is <Edited out by Bren> in the extreme. Sorry but those are the facts. The game is popular and will only get more so as the week and month goes on. Cryptic will fix these issues because they do care about money and they are getting a gold mine right now. The only way for them to keep it rolling in is to fix the server issues.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• SurethSureth Member UncommonPosts: 69

Stop with the personal attacks and get back on topic please.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I totally agree with you for once but if a que near launch is going to effect ones decision about the game they probably shouldn't even waste there time playing any mmo let alone this one.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by jaxsundane
    It doesn't even take a really smart person to realize they won't break even doing what you claim and if you don't beleive me go and ask Gaute Gotager formerly of Funcom if box sales make money.

Are you suggesting that STO cost anything near what AoC did?

How much did STO cost to make?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

I totally agree with you for once but if a que near launch is going to effect ones decision about the game they probably shouldn't even waste there time playing any mmo let alone this one.

The queue is avoidable, so it speaks to their regard for their customers.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

The queue is avoidable, so it speaks to their regard for their customers.

And again I'd have to say this is the same thing for every mmo that has come out because I don't remember too many that I played from launch (and know of a few that I didn't play) that had the same issue, I didn't hold it against Blizzard,SOE or any other company I experienced it with so again why hold it against Cryptic.

As a matter of fact the last game I recall playing from launch that didn't have a queue or any game breaking issues was the launch of COH which also was never going to reach the number of people that STO will.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Gripping about queues? Wouldn't the kids (I'm 53) qq about the queues?

Seriously, this game is more popular that Cryptic or the Cryptic detractors and STO greifers ever belived possible.

There are people from all over the world playing and waiting to play STO.

I'm happy I got a Lifetime sub.

See you in STO.

Cheers

PS Queue is well over 2,000 waiting to login atm.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• Akimitsu18Akimitsu18 Member Posts: 17

I believe what we're seeing in STO, with these queue times, is the fact that the name Star Trek has drawn this many players into attempting this game.  In other words, they could have made just about any type of MMO, and it would have had players coming in droves to play it.

I think this will die off, not because they upgrade their servers, but because as the free months of play end, and players (most of which I believe would play even a horrible game if they had already paid for it) will begin dropping.  Then this game is going to, I predict, have problems with too few players, which will lead more players to drop.  Then this game will die out, and once again Star Trek will be represented by a subpar game.

Unfortunately, failure in an MMO is just about permanent for the entire IP.  So once STO fails, it will become a no-fly zone for games developers looking to make an MMO, and it becomes likely that Star Trek will not get a second chance.

So to sum up, in the coming weeks the queue times should lessen and eventually disappear, don't worry :)

• stevekr21stevekr21 Member Posts: 50

To be real honest with everyone...i have not been in a queue while logging into STO at all.

I have been playing since open beta and all times of the day and night...

Best time to play is after 8pm PST after all the server load drops dramaticaly..

And btw read this article http://www.startrekonline.com/node/899 about them getting additional equipment to lighten the load on the server.

And again I'd have to say this is the same thing for every mmo that has come out because I don't remember too many that I played from launch (and know of a few that I didn't play) that had the same issue, I didn't hold it against Blizzard,SOE or any other company I experienced it with so again why hold it against Cryptic.
    It's not just Cryptic, but that doesn't excuse them.
    As a matter of fact the last game I recall playing from launch that didn't have a queue or any game breaking issues was the launch of COH which also was never going to reach the number of people that STO will.

Ah, so it is possible. How long ago was that?

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Akimitsu18

I believe what we're seeing in STO, with these queue times, is the fact that the name Star Trek has drawn this many players into attempting this game.  In other words, they could have made just about any type of MMO, and it would have had players coming in droves to play it.
    I think this will die off, not because they upgrade their servers, but because as the free months of play end, and players (most of which I believe would play even a horrible game if they had already paid for it) will begin dropping.  Then this game is going to, I predict, have problems with too few players, which will lead more players to drop.  Then this game will die out, and once again Star Trek will be represented by a subpar game.
    Unfortunately, failure in an MMO is just about permanent for the entire IP.  So once STO fails, it will become a no-fly zone for games developers looking to make an MMO, and it becomes likely that Star Trek will not get a second chance.

Um.....yeah okay. Obviously you're oblivous to a game called Star Wars The Old Republic. Not that I agree with your crystal ball mind you.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

well the que system tells us that more people are playing the game than cryptic did expect so lets just hope the expand the servers before game is released, it is still beta.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

on the other hand if i get in que 1 time after game is released i will cancel my account, i dont pay for stainding in a que.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

It's not just Cryptic, but that doesn't excuse them.

Ah, so it is possible. How long ago was that?

LOTRO launch...flawless....history can be rewritten but truth is undeniable.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

Originally posted by Vidir

well the que system tells us that more people are playing the game than cryptic did expect so lets just hope the expand the servers before game is released, it is still beta.

No. It's head start. Beta is over.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Huh, queues just like WoW had. Go figure.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

I would like a long cue please....I hate...I mean loath instant gratification.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Anyone bored while waiting, why not take a trip back in time and relive some old memories.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• Akimitsu18Akimitsu18 Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Um.....yeah okay. Obviously you're oblivous to a game called Star Wars The Old Republic. Not that I agree with your crystal ball mind you.

I must say, you're taking my argument too simply.  I don't believe you fully understand what I'm talking about.  Sure, I may have shortened my post a bit because a lot of what I wanted to say, I already said in my own thread.  I'll clarify for you.

It goes without saying that if you disagree with my prediction for STO (that it will fail and be cancelled early), you will naturally disagree that it will not be made into another IP.  SWG did not fail and wasn't cancelled early.  Despite the NGE thing, it continued to run for many years.  This is not the failure I predict for STO, thus SW:TOR cannot be used as an example to argue against my point, as the two situations are not the same.

I believe Star Trek is too big for one MMO.  I believe it should be made for a second MMO.  I don't think it's going to happen.  Why?  Because CBS has no real love for Star Trek.  It's a disposeable IP to them, and if they think they won't make money off of it, they'll immediately shelf it.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I must say, you're taking my argument too simply.  I don't believe you fully understand what I'm talking about.  Sure, I may have shortened my post a bit because a lot of what I wanted to say, I already said in my own thread.  I'll clarify for you.

It goes without saying that if you disagree with my prediction for STO (that it will fail and be cancelled early), you will naturally disagree that it will not be made into another IP.  SWG did not fail and wasn't cancelled early.  Despite the NGE thing, it continued to run for many years.  This is not the failure I predict for STO, thus SW:TOR cannot be used as an example to argue against my point, as the two situations are not the same.

I believe Star Trek is too big for one MMO.  I believe it should be made for a second MMO.  I don't think it's going to happen.  Why?  Because CBS has no real love for Star Trek.  It's a disposeable IP to them, and if they think they won't make money off of it, they'll immediately shelf it.

Of course it is a business at the end of the day. They are here to make money simple as that.

This is also the 2nd incarnation in mmo form for the IP too.

As for the film and media, ST 2 has been announced for 2012 by Paramount, the cast signed up for 2 more film already.

There is lots of love in the media for the IP. Which is why ST:Online will be around for a long time yet. Hence why Cryptic picked up the license in the first place when it became available.

• NoobTechNoobTech Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Of course it is a business at the end of the day. They are here to make money simple as that.

This is also the 2nd incarnation in mmo form for the IP too.

As for the film and media, ST 2 has been announced for 2012 by Paramount, the cast signed up for 2 more film already.

There is lots of love in the media for the IP. Which is why ST:Online will be around for a long time yet. Hence why Cryptic picked up the license in the first place when it became available.

They didn't pick it up in the first place, another company did, but they went bust, thats when cryptic/whoever was incharge of them took it over.

as for the whole queue issue, i don't think ive laughed so hard in a very long time reading some of threads in the offical sto general discssuion section.