Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next Dark Age of Camelot type game?

KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Hey guys. I think I fall into the category that a lot of players fall into, and thats we enjoy a little bit of everything. I love my PvE, and I love my PvP.

The last MMO I can remember absolutely LOVING battleground-type PvP was Dark Age of Camelot. It seems like such an obvious move to have 3 factions involved to keep one from being too powerful over another (this is why Warhammer died for me, Destruction was crushing the other side)

Is there anything similar to the DAoC setup coming out?

Comments

• JoeShmo2JoeShmo2 Member CommonPosts: 98

Read the end of this article...

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/11/feature/3534

there are also a couple threads going around on mmorpg.com about a possible DAOC2.

I dont think anythings been promised yet, but there seems to be some speculation  :D

• chiegechiege Member Posts: 76

DAOC still pwns all.  Even in it's ancient state.  So simple, yet so complex.  Has tons of PVE and the best PVP ever.  Tons of dungeons.  Tons of whatever you desire.  It puts a smile on your face and pisses off your wife.  When devs sit around trying to decide what MMO game they want to make, DAOC is the big pink elephant in the room.  

I'm deep within the bowels of Mythic.  DAOC II is in the works.  Trust me.

Originally posted by chiege

Thanks for the results of the colonoscopy, doctor chiege.

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Guild Wars 2 sounds similar to a DAOC type of design...minus the massive PvE grind that is...which is a big bonus.

Im not just playing devils advocate, but I would have a very hard time imagining Guild Wars 2 having comparable PvP to DAOC, having played the original Guild Wars with its... well, less than perfect open world PvP  ;)

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

DAOC still pwns all.  Even in it's ancient state.  So simple, yet so complex.  Has tons of PVE and the best PVP ever.  Tons of dungeons.  Tons of whatever you desire.  It puts a smile on your face and pisses off your wife.  When devs sit around trying to decide what MMO game they want to make, DAOC is the big pink elephant in the room.  

Yet I worry, is this just the rose colored glasses of our memories of Yesteryear? Should DAOC2 be made and the reality not meet our Expectations (and in what sequal game does that happen?) ...are we not just setting ourselves up for disaapointment?

Flames were everywhere on DAOC boards, as heated back then as any MMO these days. DAOC on release didnt have realm abilities, the keep siees didnt work, the guards were uber powerful, there were no guild claimings, no darkness falls, no housing, no player vendors etc.

Its not that I expected those  when I bought the game back then, but we do now. Players expectations of a game's contents at release are far far more agressive these days...so much so that I wonder if any MMO will ever  be able to satisfy

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

Actually, I just came back to WAR after a spell and find with the recent updates, the game finally resembles DAOC as far as RvR. Only two factions though as fitting the Warhammer franchise.

• JeezesuzJeezesuz Member Posts: 70

For those that haven't tried it, you should give Darkfall a serious look.

Many years later, people will look back on Darkfall the same way people look back on DAoC.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Warhammer is starting to make a comeback. I swore I would never go back but I did and wow!

This last weekend was the best weekend I have ever had playing an MMO.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I'd take a look at The Secret World.  It's still early in development and it's difficult to see how it will pan out, but it has faction versus faction PvP (with 3 factions not 2, so an imbalance would often be fixed by the 2 factions with lower populations) and resource control (base defense and such) as well as seperate PvE areas.  The PvP seems about as close as you are going to get to DAoC.

Darkfall and EVE are also good choices if you really like open world PvP, but they are a lot more hardcore oriented than DAoC's PvP (with full loot and all) and lack really good PvE.

• JeezesuzJeezesuz Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

I'd take a look at The Secret World.  It's still early in development and it's difficult to see how it will pan out, but it has faction versus faction PvP (with 3 factions not 2, so an imbalance would often be fixed by the 2 factions with lower populations) and resource control (base defense and such) as well as seperate PvE areas.  The PvP seems about as close as you are going to get to DAoC.
    Darkfall and EVE are also good choices if you really like open world PvP, but they are a lot more hardcore oriented than DAoC's PvP (with full loot and all) and lack really good PvE.

I am also looking forward to see how The Secret World will pan out.

I enjoy the Darkfall PvE.  It's challenging and has already created many fond memories that will last a lifetime.  Dynamic lore events put on by the GM's (influential people in these events will be remembered in the Darkfall lore) and player driven content put it over the edge of goodness.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I couldn't help shake my head and ask "What were they thinking?" with every MMO with PvP after DAoC came out.  I dare to say 90% of people (probably more) that did Frontiers in DAoC do the same as me.  It's so obvious how PvP should be done when it comes to faction vs faction or war-type combat.  JUST COPY DAOC'S BLUEPRINTS! Sorry for the caps, but maybe some game dev somewhere heard it hehe :)  I can just imagine if someone took WoW's PvE (which is pretty nice) and DAoC's PvP and mashed em together...I just wet myself :P

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

I could't care less.

Mythic had the best pvp MMORPG ever known to man and they screwed it from head to toes. ToA-fied

Then they did it again with one of the most promising IPs in existance, just this time they blowed south of $100m in the process and the screwup was amazingly bigger.

They have proven not once, but twice, that all they are capable of doing is coming with a good idea then bastardize and smash it into the ground in the shortest timeframe possible. other than that their games are prime examples of bug filled code, their patchs has always been dreaded by most of their playerbase (only company that takes months to fix something, DONt fix it, and instead .introduces all kind of new and OLD bugs back into the game).

Plus their C&C balance team has always been amongst the worst in the industry

At this point is painfully obvious that DAOC's early success was dumb luck and that Mythic dont uderstand their playerbase, dont understand real ORvR, dont understand what long term development means, and lack the most basic of quality standards. They have always been "1 step forward 2 steps backwards".

Not to mention any talent they could have left the building LONG ago.

i dont want to take part in another MMO from Mythic that will probably be hyped to death, will release halfassed and unfinished, and after a while will be ToA-fied and stripped of the few good things it had.