Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFA PvP / Sandbox mmorpgs

Do players that want these games really want 'worlds' to 'live' in, or what they really want is a lawless land that encourages them to be jerks and enables them to carry out their psyco and sociopathic fantasies?

Discuss.

Comments

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Meh?

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

You talk about the "players that want these games" as though they all think and act as a single entity. Everyone is different. Some want a world, some want a battleground.

Obviously you want an alternate "world" to live in where you dont get killed by random people. Your viewpoint is noted.

Next.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Originally posted by Archemorous

Do players that want these games really want 'worlds' to 'live' in, or what they really want is a lawless land that encourages them to be jerks and enables them to carry out their psyco and sociopathic fantasies?
    Discuss.

Some people want the first idea... some people want the second idea.. and some pleople want both.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

I think what the OP is asking for is the basic phycological "drive" behind a grizzly gruesome FFA open PVP gaming world.

The basic drive is competition. Now when I say that word in this context I mean the very same competition our ancestors fought through to build the 1st settlements. And yes it is still hardcoded into our DNA. That said players who find them selves with this drive have it bottle necked in todays societys through the law, economic bounds and, sexual appeal dirved by these constraints.

They are simply seeking an avenue to express this very drive to over acheive which in terms of their DNA leads to success and reproduction. And BTW while it may not fit into todays competitions the structions that alow for it are just one revolution or economic crash away from these basic nessesitys of survival.

Now I have seen alot of bashing from both sides and as a rare breed myself can understand them, but I will say breeding out the more basic competitive drives can leave us all vulnerable in the long run.

With these words I will leave you with one more notion. While this pre-civilized drive may have no place in society today and the outputs for these drive may not be met with clarity when we do see them in a game world they are NOT the stream-lined pro-comfot and life nurturing messages we would find IF the actual need arises.

• WizardBlackWizardBlack Member Posts: 156

Many of the ppl after a FFA PvP just want to wail on ppl to feed their own self esteem. Some want to act like a !%@# because they are immature.

Some like the challenge and excitement of trying to make it through the 'day' alive and maybe get ahead a bit.

Few are sociopathic since they tend not to be interested in a massively multiplayer environment to begin with.

• bluebawlesbluebawles Member Posts: 117

We FFA PVP fans dont actually like playing games

we just enjoy your posts that try to identify us as social loosers with criminal tendancies, while in reality we are mostly fortune 500 company CEOs with model girlfriends at our heels

jokes on you guys, keep it up with the physchology attempts

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Archemorous

Discuss.

My personal preference is a "world to live in".  The FFA nature just adds to the challenge and makes the game far more interesting... plus it gives you the freedom to handle things yourself(ie, if someone is stealing your spawns you can just kill them)..  I'm not the type to go hunting newbs, or grief people, etc... the only time I actually engage in PvP is self defense or with racial/clan enemies.

Originally posted by bluebawles

We FFA PVP fans dont actually like playing games

we just enjoy your posts that try to identify us as social loosers with criminal tendancies, while in reality we are mostly fortune 500 company CEOs with model girlfriends at our heels

jokes on you guys, keep it up with the physchology attempts

LOL, OK, what F500 company and what model for you?

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by 5Luck

I think what the OP is asking for is the basic phycological "drive" behind a grizzly gruesome FFA open PVP gaming world.
    The basic drive is competition. Now when I say that word in this context I mean the very same competition our ancestors fought through to build the 1st settlements. And yes it is still hardcoded into our DNA. That said players who find them selves with this drive have it bottle necked in todays societys through the law, economic bounds and, sexual appeal dirved by these constraints.

They are simply seeking an avenue to express this very drive to over acheive which in terms of their DNA leads to success and reproduction. And BTW while it may not fit into todays competitions the structions that alow for it are just one revolution or economic crash away from these basic nessesitys of survival.

Now I have seen alot of bashing from both sides and as a rare breed myself can understand them, but I will say breeding out the more basic competitive drives can leave us all vulnerable in the long run.

With these words I will leave you with one more notion. While this pre-civilized drive may have no place in society today and the outputs for these drive may not be met with clarity when we do see them in a game world they are NOT the stream-lined pro-comfot and life nurturing messages we would find IF the actual need arises.

Actually the basic drive of human kind is to be social less competative.  To concede to fit in.  It is only the fight or flight reflex when resources become limited or when engaged against overwhelming odds (in their mind) that people become hyper competative.  A type personalities of the ultra competative are much fewer that Types B and C who are more social and giving.  It is just that the more aggressive A's get more press.

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

I can only speak to my own experiences.  I love sandbox gaming and dislike PvP.  They are not the same thing.  Sandbox gaming allows me to participate in a world/universe where my actions make a difference, no matter what they are.  Let's take EVE for example.  There is plenty of PvP going on in that game, but I can impact the world in my own way just by being a successful miner or craftsman.  Without people diligently working to supply the market with new ships and materials, there would be no PvP to speak of.  

I also love the feeling of the unknown.  In general, theme park games are scripted.  You know where a mob will spawn or what will happen in dungeon X.  In sandbox gaming, there is the huge dynamic of player interaction.  NPCs take a back seat in terms of importance, and you spend your time interacting with other players more than anything else.  Be it in a PvP situation, or in a cooperative scenario to achieve a larger objective.  

In my opinion, sandbox gaming facilitates a broader range of social interaction than other types of games, and helps keep the game fresh and dynamic.  That's why I love the sandbox.

Prax

Originally posted by Horusra

Actually the basic drive of human kind is to be social less competative.  To concede to fit in.  It is only the fight or flight reflex when resources become limited or when engaged against overwhelming odds (in their mind) that people become hyper competative.  A type personalities of the ultra competative are much fewer that Types B and C who are more social and giving.  It is just that the more aggressive A's get more press.

I disagree with your first part. Some of us are more competitive and some more social. It varies from one person to the next. I think you essentially made the same point in the latter part of your statement. Never heard of a type-C, but I'd be curious to see statistically what % of the population is expected to be each.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by WizardBlack

I disagree with your first part. Some of us are more competitive and some more social. It varies from one person to the next. I think you essentially made the same point in the latter part of your statement. Never heard of a type-C, but I'd be curious to see statistically what % of the population is expected to be each.

While it is true that some are competitive and some are not, overhall I think we are more social as overall we apply ourselves to more social mediums. We congregate in cities, we reach out to be around people, have friends, have families, we enjoy being soocial even when we are not directly interacting such as going to the movies or theater or a live sports event.

This is not to say that we are all the same but as a species, being social seems to be one of the ways we survived and built a society. It is then within that society that the competitive natures arise which helps drive us forward.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by WizardBlack

While it is true that some are competitive and some are not, overhall I think we are more social as overall we apply ourselves to more social mediums. We congregate in cities, we reach out to be around people, have friends, have families, we enjoy being soocial even when we are not directly interacting such as going to the movies or theater or a live sports event.

This is not to say that we are all the same but as a species, being social seems to be one of the ways we survived and built a society. It is then within that society that the competitive natures arise which helps drive us forward.

Where I live I find even superficial means to construct the rudamentary's for a society which lacks basic resources IE class status. This will keep us feeling the need to strive even ruthlessly in our competition but when I was in other areas of the country I found these types of statusies and classes did not exist and with a lower population people tended towards a more social climate.

Now I live about an hour from NYC in a fairly class-centric sunburb that contains some of the familys of the great wall street ceo`s and find -here- that "old competetitonal drive" is actual sought in a social standard and is in a way giving bearth to something completlly alien to traditional phycology.

But again when I did travel to areas like maine I found a tendency to forgo any diferance in aditude, class, job or, social "clicke" just to get the basic companship that is also a so very basic drive.

But back on topic(LOL) I find game worlds are much better when you can "live" in them and opposed to using them as an avenue to express a smaller portion of myself but it IS a very difernt thing to RP and I find myself flickering between the two at best.