Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enough with the HATE threads for STO and Cryptic.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by tort0429

Can't we all just get along??? 

This is the Internet - of course we won't. 

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I dont hate Cryptic or the people who like STO. I just think that the ST ip is in the wrong hands and that makes it a missed chance to turn this ip into a MMO that reflects the TV series. Now that there is a ST mmo, no company will try to create a new ST mmo for the coming years. So basically, in my eyes the ip is wasted.
    But hey, maybe in a year they will use the same formula to create a Babylon 5 MMO. Just change text, voice overs and textures of ships and npcs and then you will get a Cryptic-style Babylon 5 MMO. Year after that they do the same and create a Battlestar Galactica MMO. I mean, it is really that interchangable. Or what about a Pirates of the Caribbean rip off, with a cheesy name like Pirates of Jamaica. (spacecombat =naval combat)

I am very sorry to say that my information is that they have turned their attentions to the Neverwinter Nights IP.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Of course we can get along. Don't take it personally just because you are a fan and/or like the game.

The problem is the current state of the MMO market. I work in the games sindustry, but above all I'm a GAMER.

These companies insist on releasing unfinished products and promising one thing and delivering another. And last minute decisions like capping the skills!!! Come on.

This makes people feel frustrated. Imagine that you buy a top specs computer on the internet and when it arrives you notice it doesn't have a video card or a hard drive. How would you feel?

It's time for the gamers to fight back and since taking them to court is pointless, might as well post what we feel on the available forums.

Peace and happy gaming.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by NoobTech

ive not seen one 'hate' thread here. plenty of constructive critism though, and rightly so. in many peoples eyes this game has nowhere near tapped into it's potential and if people don't speak up it never will.

so ask yourself this: would you be happy to play this game for ever in it's current state and direction? or keep pushing cryptic/atari to provide us with a better star trek experience? and remember, this will likely be the only star trek mmo we will get for many years.

If you haven't seen any blatant "hate" threads about this game on here then either you don't read the boards much or you are the one wearing rose colored glasses, because all of the criticism on this board about this game or company is not constructive there are quite a few (who will most likely stick there heads out of there holes in this post) who bash the game and company without logic to the arguments they make.

While in a sensible way you are right about the critics there should be some but you are wrong to say there are no blatant hate threads about the game and company read up on all the senseless points we've had to put up with for the last few months (no Z-axis anyone?).

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by jaxsundane
    While in a sensible way you are right about the critics there should be some but you are wrong to say there are no blatant hate threads about the game and company read up on all the senseless points we've had to put up with for the last few months (no Z-axis anyone?).

Please explain why concern and frustration over the lack of true 3d movement is senseless.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

These opinions about petioning for posting about one warped side of an opinion sounds alot like communism. 

Is this what some fans are resorting to; trying to silence the opposing experienced views?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Ok, we get it.  You don't like STO, but how many times must the same thread or topic be said.  
    Can't we all just get along???

Ok we get it. You love STO, but how many time do you have to defend this game??

Can you just leave us alone and let us criticise the game in peace?

Sarcasm apart, wouldn't be morwe appropriate that you made a thread explaining to us why STO is so amazing instead of patronising telling us what not to do?

I am also suspicious of people with less than 10 posts who starts threads...................

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

My wife and I enjoy the game.  We despise many of the games that people love.  Opinions vary.  But the vitriol and fanboism exhibited by mmo players is why I visit this community less and less with each passing day.

YMMV, blah, blah, yadda, yadda...

Originally posted by ste2000

I am also suspicious of people with less than 10 posts who starts threads...................

Fewer than 2898 posts does it for me. ;)

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well I don't hate the game, but I probably won't play it.  To each their own....

• ZorakGhostalZorakGhostal Member Posts: 122

I agree, the amount of out right hate for this game and/or Cryptic seems over the top, even for the internet, even for mmorpg.com. 

It's one thing to be critical but so many threads and posts are so dramatic that it seems like just logging into STO gives you aids and cancer and kills your pets just for fun. 

The game is not terrible, some people are enjoying it, myself included. 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

I work in the chip design industry, and we buy software to help design chips. I see the same behavior there. The software costs $1 million a copy, and the salesman said it would do all this stuff, but it doesn't. Chip designers have been lied to for decades now, about what the design software could do; and have become completely cynical. I've been aware of this negative attitude towards chip design software since 1980.

You see the same thing in the movie industry: some people hype a movie but the reviewers hate it.

Now that MMORPG's have become a mature industry, you see the same thing here. The hype says it will do one thing, but it does another. After a while, cynicism sets in, and we don't believe any hype anymore.

The reaction to cynicism is to lampoon the product, poke holes in it, and try to remove the hype, so that others can see the lies.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The thing is, your disappointment or missed expectation does not make the game bad as most of the 'haters' promotes.

Would I like to see a sandbox game based on Star Trek IP? Sure I would! Does that mean STO is bad? No, of course not.

The game was never meant to be a sandbox as my wish would be. It is a casual game for casual gamers with major focus on PVE and those objectives were to say the least satisfied.

Originally posted by Gdemami

The game was never meant to be a sandbox as my wish would be. It is a casual game for casual gamers with major focus on PVE and those objectives were to say the least satisfied.

It is an MMORPG based on the Star Trek IP. Based on that, it is a failure, as it does not do justice to the IP.

Hence, it is a bad game.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please avoid personal attacks when posting your opinions.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter
    It is an MMORPG based on the Star Trek IP. Based on that, it is a failure, as it does not do justice to the IP.
    Hence, it is a bad game.

'justice to the IP' - what is that supposed to mean?

Because of the IP and very well written missions, I didn't have to feel like doing missions of type 'go kill x mobs and bring y items'.
    Instead, you actualy do something reasonable - regular check on energy collectors, while investigating emergency call by chance you discover the remains of USS Fleming, etc. etc.

They truly made an effort to put you in a role of starfleet officer completing more or less regular objectives with plenty of encounters linking you with IP. And all this is happening along the main quest line.

In no way I can see this is as wasted IP.

The thing is, your disappointment or missed expectation does not make the game bad as most of the 'haters' promotes.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by ktanner3

You really are an optimist aren't you? ;)
    This site is well known for being a haven of haters. Asking them to stop hating is like asking  others to stop breathing.You just have to accept the site for what it is.

It is not a haven of haters, it is for people that criticizes MMORPG, since on the official forums that is not allowed. So in effect this site is where you can excercise your right of free speech, to some extent.

I have been banned, several times, for "trolling" when I was posting "too negative" posts. So some censorship goes on here as well.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Hence, it is a bad game.

I disagree. It is not true to the IP and barely what I would call an MMORPG. However it is a fun game, if you like space battles and phew phew laser fights (which I do).

Being not true to the IP is not, or should not, be the only criteria to judge a game altough I do find it strange to base a game on an IP and then ignore most of the IP.

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

Ok, posting something like this is just futile.  It is the right of the consumer to voice their opinion, be it positive or negative about a product.  Just like someone raving about a product they have the right to put it down.  Get over this hyper sensitivity about things that effect your world.  They don't like it, so be it.  If you like it, go enjoy it.  Be you happy or negative about this game it is both parties right to voice that thought.  Just remember that flamers, odds are you will ALWAYS run in to someone in this world that differs from your particular stance.  Good debate can and should occur, but at the end of it parties should be able to walk away embracing the ability to share those thoughts and not feel pushed by the overbearing to go one direction or the other by other than their own choice.

END OF LINE_

~V

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Just give it time.  After release and a couple months once everyone, including people who love it now, realize how shallow and greedy this game and company are it will just be common knowledge and we won't have to discuss it anymore.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. "

G.B. Shaw

If this site has a rep, it is bcause here blind fanboism has thank goodness no ground, and people still look at games with open eyes. I know it has trolling like any website, but all in all, most negtive posts are well explained. I may not always share the explanation, because sometimes it is a matter of your personal taste, but I find many people explain their points very well. Like this gentlewoman, for example:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/267859/Review-from-yet-another-estranged-fan.html

I can't blame people for being disgruntled with Cryptic. If shit smells, don't blame people's noses.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

Well, if it's any consolation, if people are bitching and whining, then people are playing and giving enough of a crap to complain. I might check out STO in 6 months, I've sworn off of new releases after WAR.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Astralglide

Well, if it's any consolation, if people are bitching and whining, then people are playing and giving enough of a crap to complain. I might check out STO in 6 months, I've sworn off of new releases after WAR.

Hm, good point. Most bitchers are disappointed lovers, as I guess. If you don't care, you don't rant.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Astralglide

LOL. I know what you mean. I can't take another disappointment like that one.

• DinidainDinidain Member UncommonPosts: 48

... If you like Vanilla and I like chocolate, does that make me wrong?  

Yes.

Viva La Vanilla!!!

Anyone and everyone can feel free to disagree with any or all of my opinions and observations whenever I rarely post them; it doesn't bother me one bit. Just know that I'll likely never respond to YOUR disagreement or personal attack, because I know better than to argue with idiots, especially upon internet Forums. See what I did there? -- Dinidain