Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

from what Ive gathered its heavily instanced. correct?

wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182

whats the largest scale battles you can do? i take it you won't be on a map thatll have 100 vs 100 players...?

Comments

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Largest is 10vs 10..its as instanced as any cryptic mmo or Age of conan )..  by this i mean its really amazingly instanced

This game is a third person shooter..with small maps to fight in..

The only diference is the maps are considered to be part of a big world put toguether in the form of small instances where 10 people shoot 10 other people...

One game you can have 100+  vs 100+ without any type of instances is Darkfall.

• wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182

well i guess ill be skipping this then. a shame.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Eh, nowhere's near as open as Cryptic games or Age of Conan. More like Hellgate London or Guild Wars.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Its a great game. But if your looking for Zerg games this isnt it. Play Planetside or Darkfall.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182

why are they shipping it as an MMORPG when it isn't? 10 people in a zone is not massive. I can go play a FPS like Battlefield 2142 and be on a map with 64 people.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Too instanced for me, it doesn't make it a true MMO. Yea, there's a sorta-presistent world, but its only connected through a chatbox rather than actual zones.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I don't really recall anyone ever zerging in Planetside...

You got mowed down in droves like the idiots you were when you tried to zerg, and then you all lost because you had longer and longer respawn timers, you couldn't recoup vehicles and equipment fast enough, and the locations you could spawn from on the battlefield became so obvious they just got air bombed.

Darkfall maybe, but Planetside circumvented the ability to zerg by implementing a rather complete player and global combat system that enabled and promotes strategy nicely. Many aspects which Mag seems to have built upon.

Please don't offhandedly ty to mislabel other games either intentionally or unintentionally to slander competition.

The game is what it is, a small scale shooter that opts for something grander than the sum of it's parts.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by wilberg

why are they shipping it as an MMORPG when it isn't? 10 people in a zone is not massive. I can go play a FPS like Battlefield 2142 and be on a map with 64 people.

Its a MMO. We coverd it in other threads here. If you dont like 10 vs 10 then DONT PLAY. Were not gana rehash this again. look down the list here to find one of the threads. And its a MMOG No RP involved.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

Originally posted by Deivos

I don't really recall anyone ever zerging in Planetside...

You got mowed down in droves like the idiots you were when you tried to zerg, and then you all lost because you had longer and longer respawn timers, you couldn't recoup vehicles and equipment fast enough, and the locations you could spawn from on the battlefield became so obvious they just got air bombed.

Darkfall maybe, but Planetside circumvented the ability to zerg by implementing a rather complete player and global combat system that enabled and promotes strategy nicely. Many aspects which Mag seems to have built upon.

Please don't offhandedly ty to mislabel other games either intentionally or unintentionally to slander competition.

The game is what it is, a small scale shooter that opts for something grander than the sum of it's parts.

I never said Zerging allways worked in Planetside. Nor that it was the best Idea. But it shure as hell happed ALOT all the times I played the game. And I loved the game for It.

GA like you said is more for small scale Team work. Both are great for What they try to Be.

—Samuel Adams

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami
    Its a MMO. We coverd it in other threads here.

noone covered jack in the other threads, more like repeated ITS A MMO ITS A MMO ITS A MMO like annoying brats till the other side got sick of the nonsense and dropped the discussion, then claim they won.

the first M in MMO is Massive, and 10v10 has nothing of massive. suck it up already, or will you keep with the ITS A MMO ITS A MMO ITS A MMO LALALALA I CANT HEAR YA LALALALALA stuff?

• AzarithAzarith Member UncommonPosts: 52

If you go into GA expecting what most people consider a MMORPG you will be disappointed.

What GA is:

Third Person Shooter

10v10 instanced PvP battles.

4 player Co-Op PvE missions.

Experience Points/Leveling/Talent Points

Crafting, Auction House, Mail...

Armor is for looks only.

Upgrades can be crafted/bought to improve stats.

Multiple instances of Dome City. (no other location's outside of combat)

Persistant Alliance vs Alliance fighting over the Conquest map.

It's not a game for most MMORPG players, but I think it's still pretty fun. Like most games I also think it's better when not just playing solo.

• inalizinaliz Member UncommonPosts: 45

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMOG) is a video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world.

Here is the constant confusion. The first M in MMOG stands for Massive-ly not massive, meaning massive amounts of players not a massive square footage world. We have covered this many many times in GA over the last month or so. It is a mmo, but instead of taking you 20 minutes to ride a horse or w/e t get to a fight you hit a button.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by inaliz

Here is the constant confusion. The first M in MMOG stands for Massive-ly not massive, meaning massive amounts of players not a massive square footage world. We have covered this many many times in GA over the last month or so. It is a mmo, but instead of taking you 20 minutes to ride a horse or w/e t get to a fight you hit a button.

noone mentions the world size when refering to "massive", they refer to the amount of players that you can cooperate and interact with at any given time.

noone will settle up for a magic number that separates whats massive (or massively if you prefer) from what isnt, some will argue that 300 in a spot is massive enough,like in WAR or Aion, others spoiled by EvE will say that unless you can interact at the brim of a wish with 50.000 people and have battles of 1000v1000 it fails to reach the "massive" tag.

But I think that everybody in this forum except for the GA crybabies would agree that 10v10 is NOT massive (ly), more like pathetically instanced.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Back in the day I fully understood the draw of Planetside, and I played it myself for a while. Planetside was a big world with huge sections of land that hundreds of people could log in to and fight it out. Not small instances and only a few people. It had soldiers, tanks, ground transportation, aircraft, mechs.

I also still rank FPS games as my most favorite style of game and spend a lot of time playing them. However not only can I not see playing this game over any of the popular single player FREE to play multiplayer FPS games out there, I can't see how this game sounds fun or interesting in any way either.

So many games are designed better and of a higher quality and are just box sales games. CoD MW2, millions of people play it every day. CS:S, after CS has been around for like a decade it is still one of the most player FPS. All of the battlefield games, still have a large draw of people playing. TF2, a different style of FPS with a good sized following.

EDIT: Also BF series, Rainbow Six, and CoD games all have unlocks and achievments which result in new tags, new looks, new weapons, etc.

All of these games have more players then GA will ever see, and none of these games require any extra payment from the player outside of the initial box sale. Also all of these games have bigger matches then GA.

So what on earth would make anyone buy and play this game and pay for it like it was an MMO?

• CoryMLeeCoryMLee Member Posts: 33

@wilberg

Your right, the scope of one battle isn't massive, but what they're aiming for is continuity.. that is.. you don't restart your character at the beginning of each match. You could get the same affect from playing one of those games, but since this one dosen't have a monthly fee to play casual pvp matches i encourage you to try it.. the continuity is nice.

@Everyone Else

It's a fun game, but it is a little lacking on the world feel, and yes it's heavily instanced, there's really only... 31ish zones including the city area, and excluding AvA and the city is instanced many times.  If your looking for a new 'main' MMO to play and put tons of hours into, this isn't it.  However, me and some of my friends are playing it casually on the side, just doing occasional team PvP matches, and we've been having a good bit of fun with it. Not sure if i'll subscribe however.

For more of our thoughts and opinions on MMOs and the MMO industry in general, visit our video blog at >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>www.mmopulse.com<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

EDIT: Also BF series, Rainbow Six, and CoD games all have unlocks and achievments which result in new tags, new looks, new weapons, etc.
    All of these games have more players then GA will ever see, and none of these games require any extra payment from the player outside of the initial box sale. Also all of these games have bigger matches then GA.

From what youve just described you wont be paying anything extra for in global agenda either. The payment will be required for specific alliance vs aliance map domination which is seperate from the game itself, and additional pve modes/crafting. The sub isnt worth it right now in my opinion, but from an out of the box persistant shooter viewpoint its good and has more content than the usual FPS type games do at release.

• SeeroSeero Member UncommonPosts: 72

Wow, people are incredibly closed minded here.  In the eyes of the people on this forum, it seems a game needs to either be a full blown MMO or it just blows.  No one wants to see any developers try something different it seems.

Is this an MMO? No.  It's not a game like WoW or EQ or the like.  Is it an FPS?  Almost.  It is a Third Person Shooter with persistent features.

People keep saying "it's horribly instanced".  Aren't most, if not all, FPS games "horribly instanced"? 

Why don't we all stop unfairly crucifying this game and accept it for what it is?  That doesn't necessarily mean everyone has to enjoy it.  I know it is not for everyone, but we can at least judge based on what it is, not what it isn't.

Originally posted by arcdevil

noone mentions the world size when refering to "massive", they refer to the amount of players that you can cooperate and interact with at any given time.

noone will settle up for a magic number that separates whats massive (or massively if you prefer) from what isnt, some will argue that 300 in a spot is massive enough,like in WAR or Aion, others spoiled by EvE will say that unless you can interact at the brim of a wish with 50.000 people and have battles of 1000v1000 it fails to reach the "massive" tag.

But I think that everybody in this forum except for the GA crybabies would agree that 10v10 is NOT massive (ly), more like pathetically instanced.

And your trolling our game Because??? If you dont like it then Shoo. Its not PlanetSide. it seems people like you Refuse to see what the game is Just because you Cant get past 10 vs 10... sad really. You sound like every Wow hater on these fourms.

—Samuel Adams

• SkyGhostSkyGhost Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Originally posted by arcdevil

And your trolling our game Because??? If you dont like it then Shoo. Its not PlanetSide. it seems people like you Refuse to see what the game is Just because you Cant get past 10 vs 10... sad really. You sound like every Wow hater on these fourms.

Gotta love how people who can't win arguments automatically accuse others of trolling.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

Well it certainly doesn't blow because it's not an MMO, but it also is incredibly misleading and when people feel mislead people get upset.

Now it certainly is not an mmo, that much is easy to see.  What is is, in it's current state, is similar to counterstrike with a lobby.  Of course this is where the AvA / Conquest feature comes into play, which is still not MMO play, what it is is territorial contest with less players than your average counterstrike server.

Simply put it's a co-op pvpve game.  It's certainly not "massive"

and in answer to the OP's original question, it is quite heavily instanced.  Even the lobby was designed so small it has to be instanced.

• JorikuzaJorikuza Member Posts: 46

Yes.

The game is like TF2 + being in orgrimmar all day and only being allowed to que for random bgs and dungeons.

"I went to the store to buy a candle holder. They were out, so I bought a cake." -Mitch Hedberg

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Yeah who cares if it is a MMO as long as its fun? I found it fun for a while but lacking the depth or diversity to be fun for long. Still the potential is there. 

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Oh so you are one of those 'i hate instance' players? your loss then because you will miss one hell of a FUN game.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Shastra

Oh so you are one of those 'i hate instance' players? your loss then because you will miss one hell of a FUN game.

If he doesn't like instances then he wont find it fun. So its not really his loss :)

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

@OP

The upcoming patch will have a few 'zones' which will allow more players in, with roaming PvP and PvE content. I believe it was planned to be for 64 players, and there's going to be three of them (I think).

I'd suggest checking it out again when that patch is released.

There still won't be an open explorable world like a traditional MMO, but I think you're just looking for large scale battles right?

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn