Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO's download and installation: why do it this way?

mschi772mschi772 Member Posts: 20

What good reason is there for requiring both a bittorrent client and a rar-extracting client just to download and install MO when so many others distribute themselves without the need for any extra software?  I've got nothing in particular against bittorent or .rar (except that torrents are responsible for an insane amount of piracy, but that's not relavant to MO), but it just seems goofy to add hoops to jump through.

Comments

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

i downloaded the torrent file with no problem. i didnt  see any .rar file or anything like that.

• mschi772mschi772 Member Posts: 20

OK, maybe it's not distributed as a .rar anymore.  That still leaves the question of why they're distributing exclusively via torrent.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Well honestly I don't think its that big of a deal. I mean darkfall had a torrent to download the client (recently made a patcher that updates the entire game but thats beside the point). Uninstall both afterwards, then its like you never had to have them.

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256
    Originally posted by Panther2103

Well honestly I don't think its that big of a deal. I mean darkfall had a torrent to download the client (recently made a patcher that updates the entire game but thats beside the point). Uninstall both afterwards, then its like you never had to have them.

exactly. quit making a mountain out of a mole hill. if you want to play the open beta, do so. if not, then dont come here to complain.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by mschi772

What good reason is there for requiring both a bittorrent client and a rar-extracting client just to download and install MO when so many others distribute themselves without the need for any extra software?  I've got nothing in particular against bittorent or .rar (except that torrents are responsible for an insane amount of piracy, but that's not relavant to MO), but it just seems goofy to add hoops to jump through.

after this the game should update throw the patcher before it was to slow to do so

• colutrcolutr Member Posts: 333

Rar = smaller file to download and torrent = fast, cheap way to distribute. No need to spend extra money on bandwidth to deistrbute a new client every 2 weeks to a bunch of people.

As far as the actual MO client, that will change come release. The said they have it the way it is now for beta so that you can have different versions of the client on your computer. When it asks for where the cache is you could select an earlier version. We don't use this feature but i'm sure they do, and they just diddn't make a fancy version for us to have.

The black/red part that asks for username/password was to prevent people without accounts from getting to the login screen.

On another note torrents aren't responsible for piracy, Pirates, cheap bastards and overpriced software is responsible for piracy.

• NightsorrowNightsorrow Member UncommonPosts: 109

Because it saves a lot of the company's bandwidth.

I don't see any problem at all.

Even Blizzard downloader is a P2P downloader.

It is the future.

If you don't like it then no one can help.

Bye.

MMO played (paid):
    AION
    DragonRaja
    Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Lineage
    Lineage 2
    Tibia
    Ultima Online
    Warhammer Online
    World of Warcraft

MMO tried:
    Atlantica Online
    Darkfall
    Dead Frontier
    Dungeon Runners
    EverQuest
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Monster Hunter Frontier Online
    Ragnarok Online
    Requiem
    Runes of Magic
    Runescape
    The 4th Coming

and some other Chinese/Korean or beta MMOs

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Nightsorrow

Because it saves a lot of the company's bandwidth.
    I don't see any problem at all.
    Even Blizzard downloader is a P2P downloader.
    It is the future.
    If you don't like it then no one can help.
    Bye.

MO now has a patcher....which is torrent based......like every other MMO out there.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Rar is a very common compression algorythm. About all programs to compress data know rar files and how to deal with them. And if you happen to be a very strange person who doesn't have a program to compress or uncompress data (ain't they included with windows?) most of them are for free and downloaded and installed within less than a minute.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Torrent uses your bandwidth along with other users,this is the cheap way to do it,put the cost on the user.Most IP's do not allow torrent use but don't really put a lot of effort to stop it,like blocking ports,but some will block known torrent ports.

If you have a cheap internet package,you can easily chew up your allotted bandwidth downloading movies and other gaming files.Here in Canada one of the major IP's are going to make some scary changes to bandwidth use,witch could snowball all across the country.They were going to lower the bandwidth from 90 down to 20 for regular user,pretty much forcing everyone to pay more to upgrade.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

You don't need that, just learn to read the instructions.

Here is the direct dowload link:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/83328/mortal-online-beta-client-v-0-12-16-18

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408

Do i have to buy the game to get into Open Beta ?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by zazz

Apparently not, although my account is still not activated...............so time will tell.

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by zazz

Apparently not, although my account is still not activated...............so time will tell.

Ok i just created , then got my confirmation email , used link now it assks for a Trial Code?

• mschi772mschi772 Member Posts: 20

Thanks to everyone for the genuinely couteous responses except donjuanamigo and nightsorrow.  Explaining what torrents and .rar's are was unnecessary as I already knew what they were, but it didn't hurt.  I still find it odd that MO relies entirely on bittorrent instead of their own distribution (which could also be p2p).  It's not a problem, but it aroused curiosity in me.  If MO was being developed by a bigger company with more money, I might view the reliance on generic bittorrent as laziness, but it's a small company that can barely afford the standard developement costs as it would seem to be based on the state of the game and the choices they've made along the way.

To whom said the atomicgamer is not a torrent: I investigated, and none of the download links do anything.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

Thanks to everyone for the genuinely couteous responses except donjuanamigo and nightsorrow.  Explaining what torrents and .rar's are was unnecessary as I already knew what they were, but it didn't hurt.  I still find it odd that MO relies entirely on bittorrent instead of their own distribution (which could also be p2p).  It's not a problem, but it aroused curiosity in me.  If MO was being developed by a bigger company with more money, I might view the reliance on generic bittorrent as laziness, but it's a small company that can barely afford the standard developement costs as it would seem to be based on the state of the game and the choices they've made along the way.
    To whom said the atomicgamer is not a torrent: I investigated, and none of the download links do anything.

the patcher has  there main download 2. the torrent is to help with speeds. luckly the new patcher works now so we should have to download whole clients any more

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

My dl from there just finished, just got done extracting it and it's updating with a 400meg patch right now, bout 4 mins left on that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson