Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else is loving this game so far?

13»

Comments

• UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146

I have to agree that the crafting in the game is pretty basic. I should not have said that it has crafting because it doesn't really. However, the thought of watching my avatar pretend to dig dirt for hours on end doesn't intrest me in the slightest. The turn in system that STO has is really all of the crafting I care to do. I just hope they implement better rewards for it.

It's like the rest of the game, they got rid of alot of the boring aspects of mmo's so that you can spend more time actually playing and having fun. It's not perfect, but it works for me.  I'm a casual player with a life, so the set up of this game works well for my playstyle. Those who want to invest their whole lives in a game may want to look elsewhere like Eve.

Eve was great when I was recovering from an accident for a year and had nothing else to do, but I'm fine now and have other things to do with my life. STO fits perfectly for a person like me who only wants to play for a couple of hours each night.

• Game-WolfGame-Wolf Member Posts: 100

i'm really enjoying STO so far i think the space and ground battles are fun but i don't think this game needs any kind of crafting system in it.. all that will bring is the wrong kind of players who will just spam the chat channels nonstop all day long and fill the game with bots then it would be as bad as Aion and once something like that happens STO would be ruined...

• EgoSocioEgoSocio Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Game-Wolf

i'm really enjoying STO so far i think the space and ground battles are fun but i don't think this game needs any kind of crafting system in it.. all that will bring is the wrong kind of players who will just spam the chat channels nonstop all day long and fill the game with bots then it would be as bad as Aion and once something like that happens STO would be ruined...

/agree

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by onetruth

Originally posted by Maverz290

I like the game but I'd like to see more explorable places with things to actually do.
    A crafting system, a real one, would be nice too.
    Personally right now, if they made instanced 'housing' where fleets could have their own starbase etc, then I'd be playing this for quite some time.

I'd like to see a crafting system too, but based on my fairly limited Star Trek knowledge, I'm not sure how fun it would be since 'real' Star Trek crafting is no more involved than telling a replicator what you want.

You are correct. That is why I have always pushed for a playable Ferengi Alliance. I'm not a big fan of that race, but I would roll one just so I could make things and sell them.

No, he is not correct. In many occasions Star Fleet aquired/invented new or improved devices. A replicator can only replicate if it has the schematics for it, i.e. it cannot replicate a human being or a robot like Data or something as huge as a ship. Its capabilities are limited.

So not being Star Trek is not an excuse for not having crafting.

• fallsadoomfallsadoom Member Posts: 14

i am loving this game. there is room for so much more .i just hope everyone remember it just launched .keep inputting your request i am sure they will work on something

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Originally posted by fallsadoom

i am loving this game. there is room for so much more .i just hope everyone remember it just launched .keep inputting your request i am sure they will work on something

Agreed.

/raises hand

I took off work for the entire launch week to play this game. I've made it to Commander rank and have had a blast getting there. Is it repetitive? Yes, but I spent 4 years killing scourge and boars in WoW. Is it polished? No, and I won't make excuses for why it isn't. I'll only say that I hope they work on it in the future. For those who don't play past the first couple of levels, you are missing out on some great story elements. Yes, I said story. When i finished the Guardian of Never chain, all I could do was sit back in my chair and say "wow". They are fleshing out story elements left open from the series (plural) and movies and doing a fine job of it. This game may not be for everyone, but it is for me and that is all I really care about.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Got it on Friday, played it over the weekend and loving it. The graphics weren't that good until I realized the game starts on low settings. So once I ramped the settings up, it was something to behold, especially space.

Things I like:

1. Space battles:IMO it's the best of any Star Trek game.
    2. Customization:You can customize everything from your character to your ship, which helps eliminate the "everybody looks alike" problem that games like WOW have.
    3. Skill based progression: With the fact that not only your character but your three officers have so many options, it's going to be really hard for people to create FOTM templates. It sure beats the old way of leveling XP.
    4. Missions: I guess some people find them boring, but for someone like me that grew up on Star Trek they are fun because they are completely appropriate to the IP. If you don't like scanning anomolies or dealing with an community issue on a planet then I'd say go play a game that isn't based on Star Trek. I've had a nice mix of combat and non-combat missions.

Things I want to see improved

1. More options for changing ships: I get tired of looking at my starter ship. There should be an option for changing ships once you hit halfway at tier 5.
    2. Exploration: I have to join with the haters on this point. There is simply nothing to explore on the planets. I landed on Vulcan and couldn't go very far. I realize that not all planets in the Trek universe had aggressive mobs covering them(and I know we're avoiding the old way of XP leveling) , but surely there could be at least a couple of cities to visit. Andoria wouldn't even allow me to beam down.
    3. The bridge view: This should have been left for after launch as originally planned. Right now it's just a place to visit and that's it. The people wanting the bridges were talking about being able to sit in their captains chair while completing their missions. So this isn't going to appease them.
    4. Social hubs: I hit on this over and over again on the official boards pre-launch but it was obviously ignored. There is simply no reason to hang around anywhere.
    5. Galactic Economy: Where is it? I haven't been able to hit memory alpha yet, but even the people who like this game have said that it's severely lacking.

All in all I'm loving it, but they need to improve the 5 points I listed above if they want this game to have any long lasting appeal.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DystopiaBoyDystopiaBoy Member Posts: 222

I'm also enjoying the game. The one thing that is frustrating me right now though is the character turn speed. When I'm moving forward then press the left or right key, my character turns too quickly (so I keep running into walls and doorways). Is anyone else experiencing this?

All in all though I'm liking it so far (from a extreme casual player's perspective).

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

Great,  after reading all the positive feedback I guess I should install it.  Picked it up last week, had the ce pre-order when reservicne co.  I really like CO and the no class restricted weapons.  I am not a super hero fan other then Hancock from the movie with same name.   I am no star trek fan other then watching now and then old shows.    A good space mmo sounds great to me.  I have played some in the past like Eve, Earth and Beyond, vanguard and jumpgate a little.   

Does it have the ability to choose any weapon fro any class like co?  I watched some vids on utube and it looks great too.  Well in the disk goes and the patch. 

Thanks very much for the post and input.  I did hear STO had a more mature community and the none flaming, trashing so far is the biggest plus yet.  Community makes a game.  thanks again.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I was, but after a week of repetition I'm starting to get bored... there's not enough variety to keep me interested.