Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC discontinued?

So, i get some money today and im like woot imma go buy AoC and have some fun...

I was very wrong... There are no stores around me that are selling AoC anymore, or the timecards, i contacted ebgames and was told the game was being discontinued, same thing with the time card. (live in Ontario, Canada)

I have been a long time WoW player and am getting sick of WoW and its easiness, and unbalanced classes, and i tell ya ive tried tons out there.

Loved warhammer more then WoW, but the engine in the game totally sucks, and not just badly, but horribly.

I could of course buy online, but in the state im in now i dont have a cc or a bank acc, im disabled so i just get by every month.

Id be gratefull if a AoC player could make a post about my question and see if ya can get any answers, seems only sub acc's can make posts.

Would really like to play some AoC, but looks like i maybe shat out of luck.

Comments

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

I think your idea of discontinued and EB's idea of discontinued are different.  I think as far as EB is concerned they are no longer selling those items so EB is discontinueing it. 

I believe you can go to the AoC website and do the Download then buy a code directly from them.  I can't see them discontinueing the game with all the pushes for content they just did.  As far as a game card, or any other monthly payment option like that I am unsure.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by godzilr1
    I think your idea of discontinued and EB's idea of discontinued are different.  I think as far as EB is concerned they are no longer selling those items so EB is discontinueing it.  I believe you can go to the AoC website and do the Download then buy a code directly form them.  I can't see them discontinueing the game with all the pushes for content they just did.

Read the whole post...

"I could of course buy online, but in the state im in now i dont have a cc or a bank acc, im disabled so i just get by every month."

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Prepaid CC?

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Could always go to a store, use cash for a gift card. Go home and order online at their website and use the gift card to purchase.

I found it online at target.com for 9.99 USD. No time cards tho. May try that out with a few stores around your area and check their websites.

Also can probably get a prepaid credit card to use, just put the amount you need to spend on one and use it.

Or another idea is to use the $ to go to a local bank, open an account with the minimum amount, get a debit card and use it   IMO this is the best option in the long run.

Just a few ideas.

Good luck to ya

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I havnt seen AoC sold in stores for a pretty long time, mostly because its an older game and they seem to move out PC games within a year after release and then as the expansion comes out, they will then carry that one. I remember going to get LOTRO and the only place I could find it was 1 box left at the not so busy Walmart by my old school. After I bought that last box I never saw another copy go on the shelf until Moria came out.

My guess is that once the expansion comes out you will see it on shelves again, until then it may just be fairly difficult to track it down.

On a side note, there are some banks such as USAA where you can completely do your banking by mail. They mail you insured packages and you send your money to them and they deposit it into your bank account. USAA was originally for the military but now is open to everyone. My girlfriend has an account with them through her Father being in the military and has had it for many years and never had an issue.

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by majinant

Read the whole post...
    "I could of course buy online, but in the state im in now i dont have a cc or a bank acc, im disabled so i just get by every month."

Doesn't change the fact that godzilr1 is correct. Only the top selling, main stream MMOs are sold by EB and simular places. Doesn't mean that AoC is discontinued. It means that EB is discontinuing AoC. Which doesn't surprise me. The selection that EB has for computer games and hardware is an absolute joke these days.

• Equilibrium_JWEquilibrium_JW Member Posts: 201

Rise of the Godslayer is coming out soon. It's quite possible that the expansion will also include the game as Everquest typically does.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by Kaelaan21
    Originally posted by majinant  
     Read the whole post...

Doesn't change the fact that godzilr1 is correct. Only the top selling, main stream MMOs are sold by EB and simular places. Doesn't mean that AoC is discontinued. It means that EB is discontinuing AoC. Which doesn't surprise me. The selection that EB has for computer games and hardware is an absolute joke these days.

Doesn't change the fact that he didn't read the whole post!

• khm3rthugkhm3rthug Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Xerith

I havnt seen AoC sold in stores for a pretty long time, mostly because its an older game and they seem to move out PC games within a year after release and then as the expansion comes out, they will then carry that one. I remember going to get LOTRO and the only place I could find it was 1 box left at the not so busy Walmart by my old school. After I bought that last box I never saw another copy go on the shelf until Moria came out.
    My guess is that once the expansion comes out you will see it on shelves again, until then it may just be fairly difficult to track it down.
    On a side note, there are some banks such as USAA where you can completely do your banking by mail. They mail you insured packages and you send your money to them and they deposit it into your bank account. USAA was originally for the military but now is open to everyone. My girlfriend has an account with them through her Father being in the military and has had it for many years and never had an issue.

WoW is older than AoC and I still see it on the shelf.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I've seen it still at a few Wal-Marts and Target when I browse the PC software at those stores. Some have it and some don't. I haven't been to my Best Buy in a few months, but I think it was there last I looked.

On a side note just a curious question. How do you plan to pay for the monthly sub to AoC if you have no CC or bank account? I don't recall off the top of my head the payment options Funcom accepts. Just curious is all.

Were you looking to pay for it with time cards?

It says you are from Canada, maybe Avery will chime in with some Canadian specific places that might still sell retail boxes and time cards.

Best of luck to you!

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Most MMOs, aside from WoW that is, are harder to find in stores than other games are...

I live in Northern California, and usually, MMOs only stay on the shelves in stores around here for about 3 months...

Aion can't even be found in any of the stores around here, and I've never even seen any MMO time cards in any store in my city hahaha....not even a Gamestop

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

There is a much more general and massive trend, all PC games are leaving the retailers shelves.

Go to any store and the repartition will be something like 1 PC game for over 10 console ones.

And for the record I never saw Aion in any of the stores nearby, only WoW and sometimes a few others MMO like AoC or WAR.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Deewe

There is a much more general and massive trend, all PC games are leaving the retailers shelves.

Go to any store and the repartition will be something like 1 PC game for over 10 console ones.

And for the record I never saw Aion in any of the stores nearby, only WoW and sometimes a few others MMO like AoC or WAR.

SO true. If you go into any Gamestop you can see a small section for the PC and the rest of the store is filled with console games and console accessories. With direct download now available on Steam and other download sites, pc boxed content is clearly the minority now.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

First of all, I do actually live in Ontario, Canada, and have more than one post. I can vouch for the fact that this is still sold in store as of four days ago.

Also, this guy has one post and contradicts himself in post.

"(live in Ontario, Canada)"

"but in the state im in now i dont have a cc or a bank acc"

I would take everything he says cum grano salis.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Maybe he wants someone to buy it for him...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by khm3rthug

WoW is older than AoC and I still see it on the shelf.

WOW also still sells well.

@ original topic

There could be any number of reasons AOC has been discontinued at EB/Gamestop. Number one being limited shelf space for PC games, I still see AOC at Best Buy, target and a few other retailers as well as the time cards. Those stores still have plenty of shelf space.

There is another possibility and it could be discontinued as packaged. Which in a few months they could be putting out a new box or selling it with the expansion. This happened with SWG when, first they put out the ROTW expansion. It happened again when they released the NGE.

The original client for AOC probably takes quite a bit of patching to get it up to date, they could be putting a new client out on disc when they release the expansion.

Of course it's possible even funcom gave up on selling new boxes and is relying on digital downloads, I highly doubt this means AOC is going anywhere, if that's what you're thinking.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by mrroboto40

First of all, I do actually live in Ontario, Canada, and have more than one post. I can vouch for the fact that this is still sold in store as of four days ago.

How did he contradict himself?

• llddaviesllddavies Member Posts: 6

By 'State' he doesn't mean U.S. State, he is simply referring to his current way of life. You don't refer to the 'State of a Game' and insinuate that a governorship is owned by it do you? Please be more careful with your accusations.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Are you serious? You actually thought "state I'm in now" meant ANYTHING other than his state of mind/body? You thought he was referring to one of the US States? /facepalm

Apparently the Canadian education system is just as bad if not worse than it's American counterpart.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,082

Um....I was just at those stores and they were still carrying Age of Conan & the game time cards, but I live in the U.S.! Once the expansion comes out you'll probably see the game and the expansion + game time cards being sold again.

• judgecaljudgecal Member Posts: 7

You can also get it on Steam for $20 US.

• dragonclawdragonclaw Member UncommonPosts: 21

Buy it through the AoC website and use one of the clickandbuy.com options for payment, they have lots of ways to get them the money for the people that don't have bank accounts or a way to pay onilne.

I would just get a pre-paid gift card like a visa at the store though and then just do whatever you like with that card, time cards are a dieing breed if you ask me, just by the gift card from visa/discover/mastercard and then use that to pay the subscription fee. Removes the limits of what the retailers carry locally.

• ThorgrimmThorgrimm Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 274

I just bought an AoC game card at Gamestop where they still had three copies of Age of Conan on sale for $20.  I also saw copies of Age of Conan and Game cards at Best Buy.  This was all last week.

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

It isn't a very good seller. Aion is still pretty popular so it should be in stores but AoC died so fast it went straight to bargain bin within 2 months is why it is hard to find now.  This game does not have enough players today so unless the expansion is awesome enough to pay back the 40 million this game lost it is hard to imagine much more coming after the expansion.

Top games usually are still in stores, guild wars, aion, warcraft...because people buy them.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by finaticd

It isn't a very good seller. Aion is still pretty popular so it should be in stores but AoC died so fast it went straight to bargain bin within 2 months is why it is hard to find now.  This game does not have enough players today so unless the expansion is awesome enough to pay back the 40 million this game lost it is hard to imagine much more coming after the expansion.
    Top games usually are still in stores, guild wars, aion, warcraft...because people buy them.

You realy just cant help your self.. look at the posts before yours .People are saying they have found it in stores.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)