Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: "What's Next" Page Offers Glimpse Into the Future

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

While Star Trek Online Executive Producer Craig Zinkievich touched on some of the things we could expect in the future for Star Trek Online in a recent State of the Game letter, a new "What's Next" page on the Star Trek Online website goes into far more detail.

Over the next two months players can expect three high-level episodes centered around the Borg, new five man Raid Episodes (or raid-i-sodes), a number of Klingon additions, such as new Klingon Fleet Actions, a new Klingon ship, as well as more Klingon PvE content.

PvP will be getting some interesting additions as well. Players can look forward to Federation vs. Federation PvP, and even Ground Assault PvP maps.

For the full rundown check out the "What's Next" page here.

Comments

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157

hopefully this content will all be free

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by misterdurp

hopefully this content will all be free

Yea, one could hope. Seeing what happened to Champions Online, this seems quite farfetched.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

NICE!! More Combat!!!! STO is lacking in combat right now, and they really need to amp this up.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

very narrow hack and slash  fan fleecing  stay away from this profuct till they  realize this  dont allow them to set such a low bar  and rape star trek idology like this,, we allready have enough dumbed down games   that have nothing but violence.

STO was THE game that could have had imbeded  learning that players and parents would have loved  but they  totally ignored this oppertunity   shame on them!  it really hit home when I went to explore  sol system and they didnt have any of the other planets    sol system could have been an explorers dream  they have the earth and the moon  but there just prety pictures on the wall    not even a star fleet acadamy let alone  famous  capitals accross the world.

cant think of any other theme or genra that would have been able to blend fun and learning as well as star trek online

oh well :(

I think they should ban violent crap like this! time to start writing some politicians.

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• MaendauronMaendauron Member Posts: 118

I preordered this game but they didn't send me the early start key for this weekend.

Now I have cancelled my pre-order and will wait to see if it's as good as it looks.  No point pre-ordering if I don't get the full benefit of the deal.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

At this point I will not trust Cryptic for nothing.  I deinstalled the beta version from my computer and nothing those bunch of crooks at Crypitc could say now would bring  me back.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Cool, Klingon shit should have been in at launch.

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

well they have told us that it wil be free.  So hopefully it will be.

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Originally posted by Lanthir

well they have told us that it wil be free.  So hopefully it will be.

Rofl you giong to trust cryptic after the just told everybody at co they were going to have a paid xpac after 6 months lol rofl.

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

first, two different games.  Second, small paid expansion/adventure packs and the like are not uncommon.  EQII use to have a $5 adventure pack that gave a dungone and some extra abilites you could get every couple of months for example.

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

first, two different games.  Second, small paid expansion/adventure packs and the like are not uncommon.  EQII use to have a $5 adventure pack that gave a dungone and some extra abilites you could get every couple of months for example.

Theres not been an adventure pack in eq2 in over 4  years.  SOE learned really quick that folks really did not like those.  The went straight xpac after that. The actually make them part of the last xpac so everybody would have them.

• cavannucavannu Member Posts: 9

Ok I've been reading MMORPG for a long time and never bothered to register until now so I could chime in on this.

When I saw the tag-line "STO what's next?" I literally laughed out loud. How about what's first?

We have space combat, it's almost fun. As in it's way more boring than X-Xing vs. Tie Fighter, Wing Commander, or Jumpgate (1 or 2).  It was the ONLY element of the beta that I almost sorta enjoyed.

Then we have the "ground" element. Asheron's Call got this right 10+ years ago, WOW, EQ, EQ2, name your game. You do something fancy like, oh I don't know, walk around right? I mean you take "moving" as essential to exploration and general gameplay right?

OK so, Crypitc apparently doesn't. I kid you not, it seems like their focus was #1, "fly around in ships", then someone in marketing said "ohh...you know, they did walk around in some of those shows.....should we have a ground component?"

I LOVE me some Trek. I love the concept, I love the aspiring nature of it, I love everything about it.

But this?

This is just another example though of a an IP being....let me keep this clean.... "introduced to a prison life-style".

As a a lover of PC gaming, as a lover of MMO's, I'm calling foul on this one.

I can think of no IP that I would be more willing to spend money on than Star Trek. But sometimes you have to draw the line and call that cute brown coffe cup your 1st grader made for you the POS it truly is.

This isn't bad, it's insulting.

• ElannarElannar Member UncommonPosts: 16

I enjoy it. Can't please everyone i reckon. :)

Elannar

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Stuff that WoW, and other games provided for no extra charge.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

The one thing I will never buy another game based on, is "potential."

I don't care if the devs come on and say, this is going to be there, and that is going to be there.... because MMO developers all too often can't or won't deliver on their promises.

Things not really mentioned were crafting increases, economic gameplay, social gameplay, and all the other stuff that is not there in any appreciable way. More combat? whoopie.

On top of that, even if the game were considerably better than it is, which it isn't,  box price + sub + cash shop (with very useful items) is enough on its own for me to not buy and not play.

I am a customer, not a credit card.

• snepillsnepill Member Posts: 17

How about getting what they have out there STABLE before they start adding stuff.  I really really want to like this game, but the constant crashing to desktop or menu, lagging like a biatch and long load screens if destroying my gaming experience.

Otherwise, all of that sounds really good... But stability should comes first IMHO.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Why in gods name are they updating with MORE combat related content?! Why not even like one small thing that is different, something for people who like exploring and socializing?

Damn it, thats is all.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Another year or so and this game may actually be complete

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

would be better if they just fixed what they have now, instead of talking about whats next.

this thing right now is as broken as vanguard was at launch..........

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

Originally posted by k1klass

would be better if they just fixed what they have now, instead of talking about whats next.
    this thing right now is as broken as vanguard was at launch..........

Actually i thought it was worse off than vangaurd at launch.  Needless to say I deinstalled it from my system,  maybe if they are still up and running this time next year after they get the major kinks out of it I might try to play it.  I have no interest in paying to beta a game that was rushed and dont work well.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Another year or so and this game may actually be complete

Actually if everything they say is in the first major patch then it will be what it should be in a month

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Slap as many coats of paint on as you want, the house still needs renovations.  ...Well that house needs to be torn down and rebuilt on a new foundation but you get the idea.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• ashfallenashfallen Member Posts: 186

Is it possible we no longer play MMOs?  Now we simply sit around and bitch about them?  Back in the day when we got EQ1 and Ultima we where all excited just to have something like an MMO.  Now we have to find perfection from the moment we hit install

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I was enjoying the game....the ground and space elements. Really digging it. I knew it has flaws and had high hopes it would come along...like many MMO's I've played. However...when I learned that CRYPTIC was not going to fully and faithfully create an entire virtual universe...with millions and millions of planets and moons upon an endless sea of space...all for me and others to explore. I uninstalled the game immediately . Then, resting lotus style on top of the crypt of the great Carl Sagan...clutching my autographed portrait of Majel Barrett..well my friends, I simply wept... Like a baby.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Well, Cryptic is digging their own grave during headstart already. The server crashed.... YET again. And they just keep copy pasting the same unexpected downtime messages day in day out, since the headstart began.

This is going to be funny when the real flood of players start entering the game coming Tuesday (for US) and friday (EU).

A couple more 4+ hour unexpected downtimes and most headstart people won't even be picking up their gameboxes.