Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Gaming Laptop Question

almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

I am looking to keep the price around $1,000 going no higher than $1,200. If anyone has an opinion on a good gaming laptop I'd love to hear about it.

Don't bother telling me I'll get more bang for my buck by getting a desktop lol. I've got one that still does what I need it to do and it should last another yr or 2 if I stretch it out.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Comments

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by almerel

I am looking to keep the price around $1,000 going no higher than $1,200. If anyone has an opinion on a good gaming laptop I'd love to hear about it.
    Don't bother telling me I'll get more bang for my buck by getting a desktop lol. I've got one that still does what I need it to do and it should last another yr or 2 if I stretch it out.

LOL

1000 -1200 for a GOOD gameing laptop?

1st off, in my opinion if your going to get a GAMING Computer, Get a Desktop.

2nd Laptops are more Expensive and less of a gaming machine, and for 1000-1200, Well it won't be good for gaming.

Others may argue but I will dissagree with them 100%

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

You mite look into the Dell mx11. Its about 950 bucks. It has very good performance and frankly its just sexy and lightweight. Technically I classify it as a Gaming Netbook though.

I'm rather fortunate in that I can get a lot of the parts and make gaming laptops myself. I use a ATI 5870 Mobility, 8gb ddr3, Windows 7 and a decent drive. By decent I mean whatever I happened to have laying around. Runs for about 2 hours on full charge. Made it for 900 Bucks. Blasted Mobile GPU killed me though LOL.

Generally unless you need a laptop to game while travelling long distances, desktops are the way to go. In my mind, go small if you do have to have one when you travel. No one wants to have to lug a brick around. Thats why the Mx11 and its ilk rock.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

You're simply gimping yourself by limiting your prices so much.

Updated Gaming Laptops are in the $1400-1500 range. They usually aren't GOOD, but they are current parts and models. If you're limiting yourself to the $1000-1200 range, you're looking at outdated parts and just crap brands. You have to think, Gaming Machines are the most expensive personal computers on the market. You're wanting a gaming laptop for the price of an office laptop, and it's just simply not going to happen.

If you bump your price range up to $1400-1500, check out the ASUS gaming laptops on Newegg. Otherwise in your current range, you're just paying more money for a crappy laptop.

Edit:

Wow! You got lucky. My above reply still stands, but you just got lucky. Right time right price, I guess. There is a pretty decent gaming laptop on Newegg for $999.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

You can look around all you want, people can debate it all they want. You're simply not going to find anything, anywhere, better than that as far as parts, brand, and price in your current price range.

One of the things you'll learn over time, is that Brand is just as important sometimes as how powerful the parts are. ESPECIALLY, with Laptops.

• sadeisinsanesadeisinsane Member Posts: 58

If you are only looking to spend about $1200 you could check out the Alienware basic model laptop M15x and always upgrade the Ram at a later time. 

Software & Services

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Intel® Core™ i3-330M 2.13GHz (3M cache)

1 Year Basic Service Plan

512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M

15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED

3GB DDR3 at 1066MHz

250GB SATAII 7,200RPM

Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Primary - 6-cell (56Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery

Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card

Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black

Check for yourself if you want... 

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/alienware-m15x/pd.aspx?refid=alienware-m15x&s=dhs&cs=19

It's not going to be the best laptop out there obviously but it is a gaming laptop, hopefully within the price range you are looking at , and Alienware has a good reputation (some people may disagree, but it's just a matter of personal opinion, just as this is).

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658
    Originally posted by Giddian

LOL

1000 -1200 for a GOOD gameing laptop?

1st off, in my opinion if your going to get a GAMING Computer, Get a Desktop.

2nd Laptops are more Expensive and less of a gaming machine, and for 1000-1200, Well it won't be good for gaming.

Others may argue but I will dissagree with them 100%

I've already found a laptop with i5 processors with a GeForce GTS 360M at Best Buy. I'm juts looking to see if there is something better for my $.

www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Qosmio+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i5+Processor+-+Omega+Black/9716111.p

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Originally posted by TheHatter

You're simply gimping yourself by limiting your prices so much.

Updated Gaming Laptops are in the $1400-1500 range. They usually aren't GOOD, but they are current parts and models. If you're limiting yourself to the $1000-1200 range, you're looking at outdated parts and just crap brands. You have to think, Gaming Machines are the most expensive personal computers on the market. You're wanting a gaming laptop for the price of an office laptop, and it's just simply not going to happen.
    If you bump your price range up to $1400-1500, check out the ASUS gaming laptops on Newegg. Otherwise in your current range, you're just paying more money for a crappy laptop.

Edit:
    Wow! You got lucky. My above reply still stands, but you just got lucky. Right time right price, I guess. There is a pretty decent gaming laptop on Newegg for $999.
    www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx
    You can look around all you want, people can debate it all they want. You're simply not going to find anything, anywhere, better than that as far as parts, brand, and price in your current price range.
    One of the things you'll learn over time, is that Brand is just as important sometimes as how powerful the parts are. ESPECIALLY, with Laptops.

This is a pretty nice machine for the price. I bookmarked it so I hope it stays this price for about a wk and half... That's when the tax return should be in the acct. 

The wife and I decided we would take a grand out of the return each to do with as we want (before spending the rest on life) and as you can see I'm planning on using it for a laptop. Hence the reason for keeping it maxed at 1200. I know I can stretch the 1k without getting wife aggro but to take it to 1,500 would most likely gain me nothing but aggro lol.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Update!

The wife and I have increased our per person money to $1,500 (she wants a piano so it was easy lol).

So I think I'll be getting this one :www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.