Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why is it downloading pandos media player?

quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 125

when i go to download the beta, it says its going to download pandos media player. what is this? is it safe?

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Pando Media Booster is a proprietary torrent down loader used by some companies to download their game with.  By itself it isn't 'bad'. Once the game is downloaded you may be able to delete Pando.

The bad thing about PMB is it will start up with your system and can then be used by the game publisher to use your system as a torrent seed for their game. This can give you bandwidth use issues while playing this game or any other internet connection usage. The only thing PMB boosts is it's own use of your bandwidth.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 125

well should i download it?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If you want the game you will.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

do you have it? did it screw up your computer?

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

The only thing you really should worry about is afterwards. During the installation its required, and thats fine. Its just a very fast way to get your bandwidths worth without them having to put out a huge server for downloads. But after the download, pando tends to stay in your processes, and sometimes will upload without asking. So like the other person said, just delete it after.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by grunty

Pando Media Booster is a proprietary torrent down loader used by some companies to download their game with.  By itself it isn't 'bad'. Once the game is downloaded you may be able to delete Pando.
    The bad thing about PMB is it will start up with your system and can then be used by the game publisher to use your system as a torrent seed for their game. This can give you bandwidth use issues while playing this game or any other internet connection usage. The only thing PMB boosts is it's own use of your bandwidth.

Just wanted to say thanks for the information.

Hate things that mess up with our bandwidth stealthily, though it's necessary for the download, it's obsolete afterwards. 

how do i delete it? do i un install it?

Originally posted by quickman007

how do i delete it? do i un install it?

Easily doable on add/remove programs from Control Panel, there should be a clear Pando's Media Booster at the list.

Yeah just remove pando afterwards.

alright, ill try it. thanks for the info guys.

P.S. did you guys download allods?

I did but then decided not to play it until open beta or release. Didn't want to get a character up then have it be rerolled.

oh...maybe i should wait too. do u know when it'll be released?

Well in all honesty I might try it before that. Its not going to be released for a while and really want to play it haha.

i've really been debating it. i started playing rom about 4 days ago and i dont want to start a new mmo. so maybe ill just wait until its released. i might be bored with rom by then. =P

I did download it but only played a few minutes, I didn't really feel that magic that keeps us playing after the tutorial. Might try again after release, especially when I know what's really there in the item mall and there's no beta excuse, etc.

Maybe you should wait for release if you don't care about learning the most you can before release so you can do things again quickly after release to join and have a chance at that "competition" that inevitably exists in MMOs, just keep enjoying ROM while you're having fun with it.