Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to play Ryzom

Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
I just wanted to know, how is the community in this game. All I have seen on these forums is a lot of people who enjoy the game, which makes me really want to play it. But at this point, if there's a low population I don't really want to get too into a game if it is going to end up going down soon. Is it still going strong? Or at least does it have some sort of active player base to keep it running?

Comments

• JianyuJianyu Member UncommonPosts: 42

The population seems "healthy" considering that Atys isn't necessarily as large as Azeroth. There doesn't seem to be a lot of world chatter going on outside of the occasional new player asking for help on the Universe channel, so things are a little quiet, but I had the opportunity to explore some higher level regions of the jungle today and they seemed fairly populated, so my current impression is that most players really in love with the game are hidden away in places newbies won't see, and most newbies who make it as far as the mainland find the transition from Silan too jarring to want to continue (and they are fairly different experiences, particularly if you haven't read what Silan offers to teach).

One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of the players appear to be in Europe, so later hours in the US (7pm eastern and onwards) see progressively lower activity, though it also depends on the day.

Overall I would say that the game still appears healthy and the developers still show plans to patch and improve the game, and the only way the population is going to grow is if the curious people take the dive and check it out for themselves. Of course if you decide to do that and need any help or advice, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Check out my blog, Adventures in Atys!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Thanks for the reply, I think I will attempt to get into the game then. It looks pretty interesting, and has a lot of concepts that seem enjoyable.

Sure thing ^^ Tonight's as good a night as any, as it sounds like there are a few new people finding their way on Silan hehe.

Enjoy your time on Atys, and maybe I'll see you around!

Well apparently I can't play it. I keep getting a C++ runtime error, looked it up on their site something about internet explorer being installed incorrectly? I reformatted yesterday, and the only real solution seems to be a reformat. The weird thing is, the game was working fine when I patched it earlier. Maybe ill try reinstalling. Doubt it will fix it though.

D'oh!

I will do some digging of my own and let you know whether I find anything or not. Hopefully you can get it working in the meantime >.<

Well I reinstalled, it seems that it is working so far, up to patch and it hasn't said anything yet.
    Yep it works now. Awesome, I can attempt to get into this now haha

Ah, great! In that case I'll just go back to what I said about enjoying your time and Atys and whatnot ;) Have fun!

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I hopped in the free trial last night and I am enjoying it so far. Only thing is that I pumped about 8 hours into a char and later realized that the 40 or so skill points I spend on health boosts through the magic tree would have been better spent elsewhere. Prolly gonna remake the char and make sure I spent fight SP on that kind of stuff and treat what I do with magic and crafts more tactically. I recommend anyone new to the game keep in mind; "use fight trainers to raise HP".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TuyetTuyet Member Posts: 135

One is certainly free to start another char if they want but it is hard to nerf a character by " missspending skill points ".

The skill tree splits into branches at levs 21,51,101 and 151. Your almost always better to just continue on with your character and do some cross training to get more skill points for whatever skills you'ld like.

There are more than enough skill points in the game to get every trainable skill .

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Didn't Ryzom used to be free to play? I am sure I opened an account when it was.

The whole time I was playing I was afraid of that, spending skills on the wrong things. I really enjoy the game but it started throwing large amounts of information at me at once which started to confuse me haha. Gotta play it a bit more though before I can completely understand what is going on.

• SherkalynSherkalyn Member Posts: 105

The game was free to play because the new owners wanted to test if the game and servers thy had just bought were working properly... then they had legal issues when it came to put the billing back in place... some missing paperwork, it seems. So they gave us more free months to pay. They finally got it working properly and the game is getting new updates regularly enough.

Old bugs got fixed, new tools got implemented for the animation team and they introduced a new kitin lair with 2 new rites very recently.

Also, there are CSR events in relation with the Lore once in a while...

---------
    Sherkalyn
    Crazy Marshmallow Lady
    Guild Leader of The Exodus Syndicate in Ryzom
    "Experience Perfection :: Unharness Your Power"
    www.exodusgs.com