Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone remember hearing this?

AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

I remember reading somewhere awhile back when FFXI was released in NA that SE would never need to make another FF mmorpg since they could just keep adding onto the same game.

Does that sounds weird?  I'm pretty sure I heard it.

Anyway, if anyone does back me up what are your thoughts? 

It's kinda rare that SE went back on thier word since they are such a high quality company.  They didn't expect WoW did they...

I have a lot of faith in them, but I also gotta remember... nobody's perfect.  I still have that 1.2% doubt that they can pull it off... and by that I mean my future mmorpg for the next 10 years.

Comments

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

I'm pretty sure they ment it in a different way, but we all know Wada and his crazy jibber jabber. Thought that would be possible if they could pump out major revamps all the time and change the graphics, but being made for the PS2 that was clearly not possible. To hold that against them is pointless, they were new to MMOs (as MMO's were pretty new in general) so some higher up probably said that without thinking. 

Also they couldn't expect a "WoW" because WoW wasn't out until a couple years after. No game wil last last forever, we all know that and SE clearly knows that. Not sure why you are even bothering to bring up such a silly thing.

• NefrinNefrin Member Posts: 13

I agree with the above poster.

Technology is advancing so quickly these days, the remark "never have to release another version" is just junk. I recall that Windows Vista claimed the same thing when it was released (though Windows 7 wasn't created due to updated technology, just poor Vista sales).

This goes doubly so for the console market, as generations of consoles aren't upgradeable, and you can only pull off so much on the older technology that is PS2. PS3 has better capabilities to make better games, there is just no question about it.

And eventually a PS4 will come out (or whatever they decide to call it).

I'm sure that he probably meant the remark simply that the game would have a long life span (which it has).

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

I remember them saying that, and I knew it would happen anyway. :)

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

Very true, I thought the comment was weird at the time but why do they even bother saying that?  Anyway, I thought maybe they'd make a Star Ocean or Dragon Quest mmorpg or something like that.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981