Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large Shadow Problem

MechanicusMechanicus Member Posts: 77

Hello. I have posted this on the official FE forums, and although several others did say they had the same issue, nobody knows of a solution. An official did try and help us too, but it only ended with them saying it would be passed on to the relevant department. The issue has been around since beta, so I can't see it being fixed by the FE team. Here is a copy of my forum post:

"I am having a problem with shadows and I was hoping someone knew a way to fix it.
With shadows turned on, I get a large shadow in front of my character. It interacts with terrain (ie goes up the side of buildings etc.), and it's always in front of me, no matter where I look or where I run, even indoors. It doesn't seem to happen during night time in game.
Now, I'm guessing you're thinking it's obviously a graphics issue, HOWEVER, this problem was happening in beta, which was when I had my old graphics card (880GTS, now GTX 260). Also that was with different drivers, and of course pre-graphics update. Oh, and back then I was running Vista, now I'm on Win 7.
Sooo.... with that in mind, does anyone know what could be the cause? Anything I should turn off in my graphics driver options, or in the game (other than just turning off the shadows, obviously!)"

Since then, I have found disabling Post FX in game stops the issue. It also makes the game look dated and not worth playing.
I am still on my 10 day trial, and I was considering buying the game. However, with this problem still existing I doubt I will. 

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Here is the original thread if anyone is interested: http://forums.fallenearth.com/fallenearth/showthread.php?t=32573

Current MMO: None
Previous MMOs: WoW, Guild Wars, SWG, EQ2, LotrO, Vanguard, Matrix Online, AoC, Ultima Online, Fallen Earth, D&D Online, Champions Online, Aion, Rift.

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Since a week I turned on shadows and upped my graphic settings to very high and the game looks great. And shadows worked as intended......

Untill......

This morning however experiance the same things as you said, hugh block of shadow, following infront of me where ever I go, had to turn it off as it was kinda anyoing. Started in Pass Chris, did the /timesync, relog, but didn't fix it, here's hoping on a general fix.

Think there is something currently not working correctly with the servers themselfs, as another thing, I never really experianced any bugs, yet this morning Kingsman Prison , had a followup mission line that took 15/20 minutes before updating, and PM'd a GM who tried to help but figured it was something with the server lagging behind the actuall gameplay, didn't ask for the shadows, but could this also effect the shadow issue's I've/we gotten this morning? Perhaps.....

Just jumped back into the game and seems shadows working again, atleast for me they are....could it be a certain area ingame? As said never had it before, not even when I entered Pass Chris last night, just happend to me this morning when I logged into Pass Chris...

• MechanicusMechanicus Member Posts: 77

Well, as I say, I've seen it since beta. I was in closed beta, then I tried the trial for Halloween, and saw it, and now during my 10 day trial I am seeing it.

I am only level 3, and have no ventured far from my starting town (Depot 66), but I did get as far as Oilville, and I'm fairly certain I saw it there (it's a bit hard to remember because there are a lot of shadows being cast by the tall buildings in Oilville).

I did wonder if it was anything to do with the nVidia graphics cards, because at least one person on the other thread I made mentioned they had a GeForce 8800GT. My old card was an 8800GTS, and my new card is a GTX 260.

I have the suspicion that it's a problem with the game which either is low on their fix-list, is being ignored, or simply they didn't know about.

Previous MMOs: WoW, Guild Wars, SWG, EQ2, LotrO, Vanguard, Matrix Online, AoC, Ultima Online, Fallen Earth, D&D Online, Champions Online, Aion, Rift.

Originally posted by Mechanicus

Well, as I say, I've seen it since beta. I was in closed beta, then I tried the trial for Halloween, and saw it, and now during my 10 day trial I am seeing it.
    I am only level 3, and have no ventured far from my starting town (Depot 66), but I did get as far as Oilville, and I'm fairly certain I saw it there (it's a bit hard to remember because there are a lot of shadows being cast by the tall buildings in Oilville).
    I did wonder if it was anything to do with the nVidia graphics cards, because at least one person on the other thread I made mentioned they had a GeForce 8800GT. My old card was an 8800GTS, and my new card is a GTX 260.

I have the suspicion that it's a problem with the game which either is low on their fix-list, is being ignored, or simply they didn't know about.

Oh didn't know you had it always since beta, was the first time I experianced it myself this morging actualy, but also been just about a week since I started playing with very high settings and shadow on, but so far only this morning, worked good again after I had a lunch and logged back in with shadows. So don't know where the problem is, I blamed my system, but seeing you have a much better system running I wouldn't know.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I've had that problem a couple times.  Each time exiting the game (not logging out but a full exit) then re-entering fixed it.

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I've had that problem a couple times.  Each time exiting the game (not logging out but a full exit) then re-entering fixed it.
    Venge Sunsoar

Yes, that fixes it for me too. However, it happens every couple of minutes, so it's clearly not practical.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I assume this is what you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlY2fn6H0c

Yes, obviously I have that happen to me occasionally too... although it's not really a game-breaking issue for me because it's fairly easily remedied by relogging and doesn't happen to me very often.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

Originally posted by Darkholme

I assume this is what you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlY2fn6H0c

Yes, obviously I have that happen to me occasionally too... although it's not really a game-breaking issue for me because it's fairly easily remedied by relogging and doesn't happen to me very often.

Yep, that's the one.

Anyone thought of a solution to this problem?

Here is the official forum thread in case you want to discuss it there instead:

http://forums.fallenearth.com/fallenearth/showthread.php?t=32573