Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Save me please

2»

Comments

• RribRrib Member Posts: 49

bought the game, subscribed, tried real hard to like it

it's dead for me

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by winter

Originally posted by Thillian

Everybody keep bringing up the retention crap. What a NONSENSE.

Go to xfire.
    Aion has lost retention around 80% after a few months. (from peak 80k hours played to around 17k now). Xfire shows trends, and shows it quite accurately.

Age of Conan lost 90%
    WAR 95%
    Lotro 85%
    DDO 95%

etc
    Name me a game other than WoW/EVE that would retain even 50% of its customers since release. THERE IS NONE.
    Vanguard sold barely around 200.000 copies worldwide during first months of release. Age of Conan, WAR, Aion, Lotro,.. all sold over 500 - 1k milion. Talking about retention? Get your facts right first.

So your saying Vanguard has retained more then 10% of those 200k players that tried it (and thats only counting the first 2 months or so not any that tried it after that?) Funny you don't list Vanguards retention with those others.  Or oh wait its seem I did get my facts straight and you know it.

Woah, you missed my point by miles.

No, I meant, Vanguard retention is nothing unusual. 9 games out of 10 coming out last years, have the same crap retention. Every games go high first weeks, and then drop by 80-90% during the next months. Every game except EVE, WoW.

That magical word "retention" means nothing and says nothing about the quality of the game. Thanks god for that. It just shows the customers are not really interested to invest in the same game for a long time. It shows market preference changes greatly and rapidly, and that's why we see games like STO with mediocre gameplay, huge IP, lifetime offer, which obviously relies on high first sales and no retention.

EVE was a game that started out low and built itself into something way better because they improved it!  Like they need to do with Vanguard instead of ruin it!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Hoobley

Over the past few days I've had quite serious cravings for Vanguard again.

To play I'd have to download the entire client again and all that.

I've said in some other threads recently that the reason I'm not playing is because I don't have faith that the game will last.

Someone either stop me or tell me that it's worth the time investment. 

Any time you are doing something that is fun and ejoyable then it is wortth the time and investment.

NONE of these games are permanent. You get nothing for your participation except for the enjoyment of it. You dont' get a plaque or medal or money or real recognition.

At any time a game company can pull the rug out from under you or change the rules on you.

So the only reason you should play these games is to enjoy them for the time they are there. I keep a Vanguard account for when I want a small bit of what Vanguard has to offer. Also, it is one of the few games that offers a huge world for exploration. I don't requre a guarantee from the company that it is going to be around in a year or two or five. I play it now for the enjoyment I get now. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Death1942

Vanguard has more than 10% of that Original 200k playing.

That doesn't change the fact that the game is so huge and thus seems devoid of life.

tbh i would say avoid the game only because once you go through that awesome journey (easily one of the best) the endgame sucks because they cut devs too early and they aren't making an effort to flesh it out anymore.

Actually ..when I stopped Vanguard about 8 months ago...I liked the fact that players weren't crawling about like ants on a dead squirrel carcass. It made it special when you ran into another player  while exploring it's vast world. ..(one thing that is not enjoyable most times...imo...is to play a game where every area is  glutted with players. Thousands of "Heros" running throughout  the cities and countrysides). At the same time...I never had a problem finding players with which to group.  I left the game only because there are too many damn mmos around  that I actually enjoy . I had to discontinue playing some of them  based on finances...Vanguard got the cut.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by BarCrow

That doesn't change the fact that the game is so huge and thus seems devoid of life.

tbh i would say avoid the game only because once you go through that awesome journey (easily one of the best) the endgame sucks because they cut devs too early and they aren't making an effort to flesh it out anymore.

Actually ..when I stopped Vanguard about 8 months ago...I liked the fact that players weren't crawling about like ants on a dead squirrel carcass. It made it special when you ran into another player  while exploring it's vast world. ..(one thing that is not enjoyable most times...imo...is to play a game where every area is  glutted with players. Thousands of "Heros" running throughout  the cities and countrysides). At the same time...I never had a problem finding players with which to group.  I left the game only because there are too many damn mmos around  that I actually enjoy . I had to discontinue playing some of them  based on finances...Vanguard got the cut.

I have to agree with you there. Vanguard, possibly due to the huge world and possibly due to the fact that it doesn't have tons of players, feels like a real world (within a game context) over other games.

One of the reasons I don't think mmo's work is that they ALL feel theme park to me. Regardless of people's proclivities when it comes to Sand box or Theme Park, these games have players all running around higgledy Piggledy, doing their own thing but making the game world into one big disney land.

Don't get me wrong, I like life in these games but I want to be able to head out over a field without fighting a mob every 20 feet or seeing players dancing and dueling in every square inch of the game world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by BarCrow

I have to agree with you there. Vanguard, possibly due to the huge world and possibly due to the fact that it doesn't have tons of players, feels like a real world (within a game context) over other games.

One of the reasons I don't think mmo's work is that they ALL feel theme park to me. Regardless of people's proclivities when it comes to Sand box or Theme Park, these games have players all running around higgledy Piggledy, doing their own thing but making the game world into one big disney land.

Don't get me wrong, I like life in these games but I want to be able to head out over a field without fighting a mob every 20 feet or seeing players dancing and dueling in every square inch of the game world.

I agree here, I hate the safari park thing of mobs standing around in a field heh.

I also could care less if i saw another player all day... being able to group though is essential to me in a mmo and unlike Bar I had real issues in VG doing that.

I would still be playing today (maybe... well, if SOE actually supported it as well maybe) if I could find people to actually do the stuff I needed to do.

• exilioexilio Member UncommonPosts: 46

If we are going to use Xfire as a resource, which is a good idea, here are some numbers to consider:

Average Xfire users playing per day. Keep in mind that not every person that plays a game, uses Xfire.

Aion:  3,830

LOTRO:  1,510

Age of Conan:  646 

Anarchy Online:  61 (came out years before Vanguard and 300% more players on Xfire)

WoW:  57,130 (disgusting, good game, but man, what a beast to ever possibly topple; only Blizzard will be able to kill WoW)

Warhammer:  611 (impressive numbers, I think the pvp keeps em coming back)

Everquest: 67 (grand daddy of em all, still 300% more than Vanguard years after release)

Everquest II:  263 (decent numbers but expected higher)

Vanguard:  21 (ouch)

EVE:  3,379 (not surprised at all; fantastic game with good devs)

Dark Age of Camelot: 97 (totally was surprised by this, but not really--an awesome game)

Champions Online:  129 (downward spiral for sure; is suspect due to lack of depth)

These numbers help put it in to perspective for me. I too was considering a return to Vanguard. But if SOE won't take the game seriously and invest its time, why should I?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by exilio

If we are going to use Xfire as a resource, which is a good idea, here are some numbers to consider:
    Average Xfire users playing per day. Keep in mind that not every person that plays a game, uses Xfire.

Anarchy Online:  61 (came out years before Vanguard and 300% more players on Xfire)
    WoW:  57,130 (disgusting, good game, but man, what a beast to ever possibly topple; only Blizzard will be able to kill WoW)
    Everquest: 67 (grand daddy of em all, still 300% more than Vanguard years after release)
    Dark Age of Camelot: 97 (totally was surprised by this, but not really--an awesome game)
    Champions Online:  129 (downward spiral for sure; is suspect due to lack of depth)

These numbers help put it in to perspective for me. I too was considering a return to Vanguard. But if SOE won't take the game seriously and invest its time, why should I?

I'm not sure what your point in publishing these numbers is... that not many people play VG? If so, I don't think any of us needed Xfire to tell us that. It's pretty common knowledge lol

LotR scored lower then I thought it would though, and AoC a lot higher, and the fact that WAR destroys CO speaks volumes for Cryptics game design model.

But yes, on your last sentence, ofc your right. Most PvEers that VG is originally designed for want a game they can invest in, maybe in terms of years, and SOE's criminal lack of support for the game dosent encourage that.

• exilioexilio Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by vesavius

I'm not sure what your point in publishing these numbers is... that not many people play VG? If so, I don't think any of us needed Xfire to tell us that. It's pretty common knowledge lol

LotR scored lower then I thought it would though, and AoC a lot higher, and the fact that WAR destroys CO speaks volumes for Cryptics game design model.

But yes, on your last sentence, ofc your right. Most PvEers that VG is originally designed for want a game they can invest in, maybe in terms of years, and SOE's criminal lack of support for the game dosent encourage that.

The point of quoting Xfire numbers is that it drives the point home -- there are still many people out there desperately holding onto a sinking game. The numbers help put it into perspective as compared to other MMOs. So while it may be common knowledge the population is low, it is not common HOW low it is by comparison. ;-)

And I couldn't agree more about Cryptic's game "design" model. While they employ the best custom avatar designs around, everything is superficial and sorely lacking. They should license it to other game devs that put real effort into creating deep, rich worlds.

• mmofanaticmmofanatic Member UncommonPosts: 136

It has been a while since I used xfire. (steam is better IMO) but dont users need to be logged into xfire and have it running in the background to have it count their player time. I know its been 3 years since VG was released but it still does have some hefty requirements. I know if I need more processor to focus on games xfire and steam are the things i turn off first.

• MacLinuxMacLinux Member Posts: 93

I took a sub this month . Vanguard is a great game. But there"s no players online. Stopped at 25 because i was alone everywhere. Saw 1 player in 3 rivers (ONE) and 2 players (TWO) at Vesquals. Saw ZERO player on Kojan.  Zero on Tursh etc. VG is one of the best pve mmos ever but it's unplayable because of his very low pop. Very low pop because SOE doesn't want to pay devs for this game... I can't stop VG (always try) but I can't play VG. All players are HL players or "free players" on trial island.

• KazlinKazlin Member UncommonPosts: 124

Vanguard is one of the best MMO's out but what happened to it at launch hurt it more then any other MMO that came out in the last few years. When i played it mind you i have 5 level 50's it was growing more each month when i stopped although i still pay for the game there was a recorded 200K sub base at the point of April or may i forgot  when they had that big sub push.

If SoE actually took the time and placed a dedicated dev team on VG the game would strive in more ways then anyone thought. I stoped playing to simply take a break will i go back absolutly will the game die i dont think so SoE in almost 11 years has only shut down 1 MMO and that was the matrix because there wasnt enough interest in the game and the game had less then 20K subs.Vanguard is a game you either love it or hate it its nothing like WoW and that when WoW players try it they think its a joke because you actually have to work for your things the world is massive without the tele stones it took hours to walk from point A to B i am a old school gamer to me games like EQ1,VG,AO and DAOC are the best around still for what they bring.

Take a new player who has never played a MMO or evan a WoW player where they went to endgame and ran out of things to go and it was there first MMO put them in EQ1 with a dedicated group and let them run wild when they reach endgame they will not complain there is nothing to do they will complain because they dont know where to start there is so much there that Raiders,group players and etc all have thnings to do for the next few years .

VG deserves to keep going and the dedicated players deserve the attention because they are the ones you want to hold on to i have every P2P MMO on the market i buy the next new one like all the rest looking for a game that will suck me in for the next 5-10 years i Hate WoW because i feel i dont acomplish anything or i feel i didnt earn any of my epics when i get them i hate that about it is it a good game it has its moments but the end is just retarted i can name you 10 other games that place the end game of WoW to shame. EQ1 imho is still the best and will always be the best MMO because you had to work for every little thing you wanted you want your epic 1.0 be prepared to work on it for atleast 3 minths want your epic 1.5 same thing oh you wanna raid the best zones guess what you had to work for them as well you needed to unkey them all to get from plane of justice content to elemental planes to plane of time and when you got done with it you were happy that you did it you put in 100% and got back 150% because of your effort.

But to answer your question or to try and help you out i would definatly go back to VG but make sure you pick the most populated server there is two pretty good ones and 2 that are not very populated.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

The game is truly dead and I played it for a long time.  I did quit for some time and tried coming back last month.  There is no one playing anymore which is an absolute shame.  One of the best crafting systems ever, great dungeons, exploration, housing, diplomacy was an interesting side game, great classes, and fun PVE.  Other great features were running while casting and offensive and defensive targeting.  Too bad it was ruined by a piss poor launch, mismanagement, and bug ridden.  It can never be saved unless they somehow try some DDO type F2P thing.  Not sure that would do it either, but it might up the population some.

• RaiveeRaivee Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Kazlin

Vanguard is one of the best MMO's out but what happened to it at launch hurt it more then any other MMO that came out in the last few years. When i played it mind you i have 5 level 50's it was growing more each month when i stopped although i still pay for the game there was a recorded 200K sub base at the point of April or may i forgot  when they had that big sub push.

If SoE actually took the time and placed a dedicated dev team on VG the game would strive in more ways then anyone thought. I stoped playing to simply take a break will i go back absolutly will the game die i dont think so SoE in almost 11 years has only shut down 1 MMO and that was the matrix because there wasnt enough interest in the game and the game had less then 20K subs.Vanguard is a game you either love it or hate it its nothing like WoW and that when WoW players try it they think its a joke because you actually have to work for your things the world is massive without the tele stones it took hours to walk from point A to B i am a old school gamer to me games like EQ1,VG,AO and DAOC are the best around still for what they bring.
    Take a new player who has never played a MMO or evan a WoW player where they went to endgame and ran out of things to go and it was there first MMO put them in EQ1 with a dedicated group and let them run wild when they reach endgame they will not complain there is nothing to do they will complain because they dont know where to start there is so much there that Raiders,group players and etc all have thnings to do for the next few years .
    VG deserves to keep going and the dedicated players deserve the attention because they are the ones you want to hold on to i have every P2P MMO on the market i buy the next new one like all the rest looking for a game that will suck me in for the next 5-10 years i Hate WoW because i feel i dont acomplish anything or i feel i didnt earn any of my epics when i get them i hate that about it is it a good game it has its moments but the end is just retarted i can name you 10 other games that place the end game of WoW to shame. EQ1 imho is still the best and will always be the best MMO because you had to work for every little thing you wanted you want your epic 1.0 be prepared to work on it for atleast 3 minths want your epic 1.5 same thing oh you wanna raid the best zones guess what you had to work for them as well you needed to unkey them all to get from plane of justice content to elemental planes to plane of time and when you got done with it you were happy that you did it you put in 100% and got back 150% because of your effort.
    But to answer your question or to try and help you out i would definatly go back to VG but make sure you pick the most populated server there is two pretty good ones and 2 that are not very populated.

If Matrix Online was shut down due to under 20k then VG is on its way because VG has well under 20k subs unfortunately

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

I quit as well. This game obviously needs to be geared towards solo play while leveling. Groups are hard to find and i don't like to  wait around for too long in a game. 

This game has no future.

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

The way you are using x-fire numbers is not accurate.

People who play SOE games are a bit different than people who is always jumping into new MMOs, people who play Guild Wars and people who play EvE.

Most EQ2 players and Vanguard players do not use x-fire and usually are older, I am saying this after years playing SOE games...

A lot of Age of Conan and Warhammer players are younger and probably uses  x-fire. You will probably see more EvE players using x-fire than EQ2 players using it too.

I am not saying my theory is totally right, but it would need more data to use these numbers in the way you used. I can be wrong, but to be accurate you would need to know at least the porcentage of x-fire gamers in all those communities.

The way you used these numbers originated an illusory result.

I understand X-Fire can show some trends about MMORPG population but nothing beyond that.

Vanguard unfortunatelly does not have a bright future when we talk about development anyway.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Shaedes

Originally posted by svann

It seems that they are attempting to shift the end game focus away from raiding and back to group content, at least for the forseeable future.  This week a new (magi hold revamped to high level) group dungeon will be patched to test server and presumably will go live by next week.  Revamp of hillsbury is planned for sometime later this year, and there is also new craft and diplo content planned for sometime soonish.

Svann, c'mon.  There is no way magi hold is going live within a week.  Or if it does, it will be so full of bugs. 

You're wrong on both counts.

• ShaedesShaedes Member Posts: 9

It seems that they are attempting to shift the end game focus away from raiding and back to group content, at least for the forseeable future.  This week a new (magi hold revamped to high level) group dungeon will be patched to test server and presumably will go live by next week.  Revamp of hillsbury is planned for sometime later this year, and there is also new craft and diplo content planned for sometime soonish.

Svann, c'mon.  There is no way magi hold is going live within a week.  Or if it does, it will be so full of bugs. 

./nod. You're absolutely right. </sarcasm on> If you set the bar low enough, even the VG Devs can actually accomplish something.  You must thank Jansan for his hard work on that.  Solo content for lvl 50-52 is exactly what the game needs. </sarcasm off>

Edit: Edited for clarity, but perhaps too late :(

./nod. You're absolutely right.  If you set the bar low enough, even the VG Devs can actually accomplish something.  You must thank Jansan for his hard work on that.  Solo content for lvl 50-52 is exactly what the game needs.

Its true that many raiders are unhappy with the new focus, but its also true that ever since the release of APW to kdq to IoG to all the overlands raids and even pota there were casual players that thought that the end game was too focused on raider content and content requiring raid gear to complete.  They have been asking for more casual content in end game for something like 2 years.  Now it is their turn. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

./nod. You're absolutely right.  If you set the bar low enough, even the VG Devs can actually accomplish something.  You must thank Jansan for his hard work on that.  Solo content for lvl 50-52 is exactly what the game needs.

Its true that many raiders are unhappy with the new focus, but its also true that ever since the release of APW to kdq to IoG to all the overlands raids and even pota there were casual players that thought that the end game was too focused on raider content and content requiring raid gear to complete.  They have been asking for more casual content in end game for something like 2 years.  Now it is their turn. 

Perhaps I am not reading you correctly, but you sound like the change in focus to vanguard was a choice by the development team. 

Even silius isn't happy about the change in direction and it is only being changed, because the vanguard team doesn't have the resources to create raid level content anymore.  They are going to waste half of the next year "squashing bugs" and revamping a few zones that were mostly created already.  That is not something any development team would be proud to post as their focus for the upcoming year. 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Hoobley

Over the past few days I've had quite serious cravings for Vanguard again.

To play I'd have to download the entire client again and all that.

I've said in some other threads recently that the reason I'm not playing is because I don't have faith that the game will last.

Someone either stop me or tell me that it's worth the time investment. 

Vanguard *could* have been a great game. It has elements of such a game. But potential isn't reality.  After the most recent staff/resource cuts, I'd say that its just a matter of time before SOE finally pulls the plug.  MMO's tend to be quite time intensive. If you decide to play,  you need to realize that the game can end unexpectedly. If you enjoy it enough to make up for the uncertain nature of the games future, then thats your choice to make.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Perhaps I am not reading you correctly, but you sound like the change in focus to vanguard was a choice by the development team. 

Even silius isn't happy about the change in direction and it is only being changed, because the vanguard team doesn't have the resources to create raid level content anymore.  They are going to waste half of the next year "squashing bugs" and revamping a few zones that were mostly created already.  That is not something any development team would be proud to post as their focus for the upcoming year. 

edit: wrong person

Im disappointed that further raid content is on hold, but that doesnt make me want to bash vg for releasing small group content.  Let the casuals have a bone for once.  sheesh.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

Well I didn't reactivate my account although I still miss Vanguard quite a lot, or at least the idea of it.

I've got a big move coming up so I'm taking a little breather from MMOs until I get settled again, it'll be a nice change.

I'll certainly be taking a look at the state of things a few months down the road and make a decision about it then.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

edit: wrong person
    Im disappointed that further raid content is on hold, but that doesnt make me want to bash vg for releasing small group content.  Let the casuals have a bone for once.  sheesh.

I'm not sure if you are addressing me or not, but there is nothing wrong with VG releasing non-raid content.  At the same time this isn't a willful shift in focus for the game to appease a different segment of players or to attract new players to the game.  It is purely a cost cutting measure and this is the best effort the developers predict that they can deliver over the next 12 months. 

The reality of the situation isn't pretty, but that doesn't mean it is bashing the game.  It just isn't sugar coating the game taking a giant step in the direction of closure as something positive.  Even saying raid content is on hold is a stretch, because truthfully raid content has ceased to be developed.  It might resume development sometime next year, but if the team doesn't have the resources now to do it, then there is no reason to believe they will get more resources next year. 

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Ive always wanted to play this game but lack of players is keeping me from it.

(BBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH fires plungers at SOny for what happened to SWG!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes