Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microtransactions already planned for FFXIV

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by skoreanime

Wow, things have gotten out of hand pretty quick.

Any of you know the quote, "Money/greed makes the world go round." ...?  It really depends on how SE takes it.  It could be just for the trivial things like server transfers, extra characters after the set limit, mini expansions etc...  Or, it could be full blown cash shops (Which, btw, is HIGHLY unlikely).  

You all realize even when this is cleared up, you're all going to look like fools, right?  Calm the sh|t down so we can come back here and discuss it when new info arises.   God.  This is quickly becoming the piss hole of the site.

Originally posted by grandpagamer

The " I buy ingame crap for real money cause I dont have the time to play the game" excuse is pathetic. If you dont have time to actually play the game, dont play the game. Using this excuse is just a way of justifying a shortcut/cheat. Im not sure what is the funniest, the cheating or the attempts at justification.

First question you need to ask.  What is playing a MMO?
    A hobby.  And what do people do for their hobbies?
    Spend time AND money on it.  Notice the caps and.
    We all play MMOs to gratify ourselves.  You have no authority to decide how the entire genre should be run.  If you're so adamant about your views, and pass them off as the only true one, you're pretty pathetic yourself.  Unless or until you actually get directly involved with a MMO project, you're opinion is worth dirt.  
    None of you seem to have noticed how the genre has changed in terms of microtransactions.  Bit by bit, all MMOs are adding some form of microtransactions into their game.  If you can't see it, you're freaking blind.  Why do you suppose preorders for collectors editions go so fast for every new MMO now?  Because they come with a ton of freaking extras, that even include some ingame bonuses that are hard to pass up.  Google 'em.  They're there.

After your done buying all the uber shit you can to pimp out your leet toon in your mmo of choice you might want to google some cheat codes for your favorite singleplayer games too. Ive read that unlimited health and ammo are good. Everyone spends money to buy games, not everyone spends money so they are able to play the games well. That is what is pathetic.

• trepotrepo Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Sixpax

Originally posted by toddze

Mules in FFXI do not help players advance in any way shape or form.

You couldn't be more wrong. I easily earned triple (and that's a conservative estimate) the income from having extra mules in FFXI as I would have had I only paid for 1 character. The ramifications of the additional Auction House slots, not to mention having access to multiple different AH's simultaneously are impossible to deny. That extra income afforded me better gear upgrades which in turn allowed me to kill things quicker giving me a better XP rate. All for the low, low transaction fee of $3 more per month. Yeah that's not helping me in any way, shape, or form.... riiiiight.

So honestly for those of you against micro transactions and preaching this crap about not wanting to buy things that affect game play, yet bought extra mules in FFXI, take a look in the mirror cause that's about as hypocritical as it gets.

It's not about wanting to buy your way to the top, it's about being able to play the freaking game. Let me put it this way, when I played WoW, I advanced as much as I could on my own given my schedule. Eventually I got to the point where if I wanted to see any more of the content I'd have to join a raiding guild and play more than I really had time for. I did just that but it still wasn't enough. Sure enough the hardcore players out geared those of us who were casuals and they could only take so many charity runs before we fell by the wayside. Nothing against them, they were ready for higher content and us casuals weren't... I can't blame them for wanting to experience it. So eventually I just became a social member of the guild and it was either guild-hop and go through the same crap all over again or quit. I did the latter.

I had a very similar experience in FFXI as did many others who said they just couldn't keep playing because of the time you had to devote to the game, yet they wish they could have. Many of them never got the opportunity to hit level 75 and even see the end-game. How sad is that?

Now compare that to the item shop game I'm playing now. We still have the hardcore players in our guild who seem to never log off and they literally play without spending a penny. Those of us in the guild who can't put in that much play time buy items on the cash shop to help us advance faster (they don't sell straight gear on the cash shop... you have to earn that). I don't have to worry about not getting to see half of the end-game because I can't play 6+ hours a night. No one is all bent out of shape because I pay money to keep up and they just play harder. We just have a blast getting to play the game together, experiencing exactly the same content, and nobody gets left behind. In this game, I'm given a choice that best suits me and my budget vs. play time, whereas in WoW I had no legitimate options, unless you consider socializing vs. quitting "options".

There are literally millions of people playing item mall MMO's today, so who are you to say that your way is right and their way is wrong?

You always talk about the same thing in your posts. End Game. Have you ever think that MMOs may not be for you if you only target end game content ?

As for the mules, it gives you additional slots at the AH and additional spaces. You still needed to gather goods to sell or create them by crafting. That means you had to play. If you didn't log for a week, your 3 mules were useless...

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    After your done buying all the uber shit you can to pimp out your leet toon in your mmo of choice you might want to google some cheat codes for your favorite singleplayer games too. Ive read that unlimited health and ammo are good. Everyone spends money to buy games, not everyone spends money so they are able to play the games well. That is what is pathetic.

Except for the condemnation of single-player game cheats, I agree with this.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Originally posted by trepo

You always talk about the same thing in your posts. End Game. Have you ever think that MMOs may not be for you if you only target end game content ?

I just use end-game to make my point. I'm probably the slowest leveler you've ever met and I do very much enjoy the "journey". It took me over 3 years to hit level 75 in FFXI and I loved every minute of it. I had 4 subjobs for my Warrior (NIN, MNK, BLU, and RNG) up to level if that gives you an idea of how much I enjoyed the non end-game content. Once I got to that cap though, it was basically game over for me because I couldn't spend hours camping one NM, and I could only level my subjobs so much before I grew tired of the lower level content. I did get to do a couple of the Sky NM's, but the more time passed the further I got behind my linkshell's progress and couldn't participate in the other areas they were doing.

Originally posted by trepo

As for the mules, it gives you additional slots at the AH and additional spaces. You still needed to gather goods to sell or create them by crafting. That means you had to play. If you didn't log for a week, your 3 mules were useless...

True, but it still gives you an advantage (which you didn't earn, but bought with real money) over the people who didn't. I'm not talking about not wanting to actually play the game... the exact opposite in fact. I want to be able to play and not be swept under the rug because the game becomes a full time job. To me MMO's are about exploring the content and interacting with other people, not about my freaking gear. The gear treadmill is just a necessary evil to get to experience the game content.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

So what you're saying is everyone who bought extra characters as mules in FFXI is a cheater.

I never played the game, but yes.

How can you pass any judgement when you have not played the game?

The fact is the game's cost was only 12 dollars a month, so adding in two mules making it 14 dollars makes it even with every other mmo's monthly cost.

I played FFXI for 3 years, I never met someone who played with only one character.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I played FFXI for 3 years, I never met someone who played with only one character.

I played for 5 years maybe 6 hard to remember since it was awhile ago. What laughing man said is true, I have never met anyone who just had one character.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

** crosses out Final Fantasy 14 from the list of games under consideration **

Microtransactions are deal-breaker enough. Subscription fees PLUS microtransactions mean I won't ever take another look at this joke again.

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Microtransactions are deal-breaker enough. Subscription fees PLUS microtransactions mean I won't ever take another look at this joke again.

Do you consider World of Warcraft to have micro-transactions?  Why not find out the FACTS before coming to such a conclusion?  Everything in this thread is conjecture as they have said nothing concrete other than that they are considering having some type.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Damage99

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Do you consider World of Warcraft to have micro-transactions?  Why not find out the FACTS before coming to such a conclusion?  Everything in this thread is conjecture as they have said nothing concrete other than that they are considering having some type.

let the ignorant think that, i personally don't need these people playing a game i want to get into. They seemed to be swayed by a simple forum post (and clearly don't read anything but 1 post) and not look up the facts or just read he full thread. i say good riddance.

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219

Keep saying what you want. The trend of microtransactions is increasing here in the west. Are you really so blind that you can't see it happening?  If you're not, then you're just down right retarded.  Seriously.  You're not even making an argument but complete bullsh|t replies that border on an emo teen hitting puberty.  Grow up.

http://rpgfan.com/features/Nexon_Q&A/index.html

The biggest microtransaction MMO developer is declaring a near 40% increase in revenue....hmmm, I wonder what that could mean?  Could it be possible that more and more people are starting to pay for things for their game?.../GASP!  Take a look around.  They're not the only MMO developer to have some kind of microtransaction in place.  FFS, Blizzard has several set up.

I'm not advocating microtransactions for ingame items like weapons and armor you idiots.  I'm implying microstransactions isn't just cash shops.  Server transfers, extra characters, mini expansions etc...  The most I've ever done is pay $10 for a server transfer to play with friends, that's it.  You're a complete dip if you automatically assume I'm a big spender in MMOs just because I'm on the fence with this topic.  You guys are like raging fanboys on a different level.  It's sad.

Keep saying what you want. The trend of microtransactions is increasing here in the west. Are you really so blind that you can't see it happening?  If you're not, then you're just down right retarded.  Seriously.  You're not even making an argument but complete bullsh|t replies that border on an emo teen hitting puberty.  Grow up.

The biggest microtransaction MMO developer is declaring a near 40% increase in revenue....hmmm, I wonder what that could mean?  Could it be possible that more and more people are starting to pay for things for their game?.../GASP!  Take a look around.  They're not the only MMO developer to have some kind of microtransaction in place.  FFS, Blizzard has several set up.

I'm not advocating microtransactions for ingame items like weapons and armor you idiots.  I'm implying microstransactions isn't just cash shops.  Server transfers, extra characters, mini expansions etc...  The most I've ever done is pay $10 for a server transfer to play with friends, that's it.  You're a complete dip if you automatically assume I'm a big spender in MMOs just because I'm on the fence with this topic.  You guys are like raging fanboys on a different level.  It's sad.

Everyone who doesnt like cash shops are retarded and people spending money in cash shops as well as paying a monthly fee are the ones with superior intellect?  Thanks for the help, im one of the retards who likes to be able to play without a crutch. Just another reason to shit can MMO's and play single player games.  And no, I dont use cheat codes in single player games either, seems self defeating to me.

Everyone who doesnt like cash shops are retarded and people spending money in cash shops as well as paying a monthly fee are the ones with superior intellect?  Thanks for the help, im one of the retards who likes to be able to play without a crutch. Just another reason to shit can MMO's and play single player games.  And no, I dont use cheat codes in single player games either, seems self defeating to me.

You really need to learn how to read properly and understand the underlying context dude.  Seriously.

When did I say people who spend money on cash shops are better then people who don't?  Point it out.  What I'm getting at is the trend of microtransactions is becoming bigger here in the west and with most MMO developers.  If you can't see that, you're either blind or refuse to acknowledge things can change.

As I said before, the most I've paid for is a server transfer.  I've stayed away from MMOs that have cash shops, or before they put them in.  I played ROSE before it went the cash shop route and it was fun.  But I left it as soon as they set it up.

And again, microtransactions isn't just all about cash shops.  It can be for server transfers.  It can be for recharacter customization.  It could be for mini expansions.  Etc.  All of which have been proven that people will pay for those services.

Give me a real argument.  All you've spewed so far is "MICROTRANSACTIONS BAD!".  

You really need to learn how to read properly and understand the underlying context dude.  Seriously.

When did I say people who spend money on cash shops are better then people who don't?  Point it out.  What I'm getting at is the trend of microtransactions is becoming bigger here in the west and with most MMO developers.  If you can't see that, you're either blind or refuse to acknowledge things can change.

As I said before, the most I've paid for is a server transfer.  I've stayed away from MMOs that have cash shops, or before they put them in.  I played ROSE before it went the cash shop route and it was fun.  But I left it as soon as they set it up.

And again, microtransactions isn't just all about cash shops.  It can be for server transfers.  It can be for recharacter customization.  It could be for mini expansions.  Etc.  All of which have been proven that people will pay for those services.

Pay all you want, ive given my reasons why I think they are bad but you refuse to see anything but the fact that they are becoming common. You are not clairvoyant, as you have pointed out anyone who doesnt see it are retarded. Seeing it does not mean its a good thing and once the door is open you will see more and more things to spend your money on.  You pay all you want I will decline. Any game with a cash shop I will avoid and that includes f2p games which I dont play anyway.  And dude? I know exactly what you are saying and I disagree so im blind or retarded. I got it already.

Pay all you want, ive given my reasons why I think they are bad but you refuse to see anything but the fact that they are becoming common. You are not clairvoyant, as you have pointed out anyone who doesnt see it are retarded. Seeing it does not mean its a good thing and once the door is open you will see more and more things to spend your money on.  You pay all you want I will decline. Any game with a cash shop I will avoid and that includes f2p games which I dont play anyway.  And dude? I know exactly what you are saying and I disagree so im blind or retarded. I got it already.

And now the running away post.

No wonder these boards are considered the piss pool of MMO forums.  No one can give a real argument.

If you've already made up your mind about the game, why are you even here?  SEs already stated they have intentions for microtransactions, so tell me why.  Do you think your noble stance against the topic will sway any of us who are waiting adamantly for the game?  

And no, you don't got what I'm saying, that's why you're blind and retarded.  Ohhh, I see more things to buy, that must mean I NEED to buy them.  You're talking like every F2P MMO player is a money spewing fool.  News flash, most F2P MMOs players are very conservative with their money.  Why do you think they play F2P in the first place?  Oh, that's right...so they can only pay a couple dollars a month to play.

And again, for I don't know..that 5th time?  Microtransactions does NOT mean just cash shops.  Why can't you understand that?  Are you really going to forsake a game for having paid services that have no direct interference with the game?  You are, and some other people are too, and that's why I'm calling all you retards.  You sound like hicks with tunnel vision.

No wonder these boards are considered the piss pool of MMO forums.  No one can give a real argument.

If you've already made up your mind about the game, why are you even here?  SEs already stated they have intentions for microtransactions, so tell me why.  Do you think your noble stance against the topic will sway any of us who are waiting adamantly for the game?  

And no, you don't got what I'm saying, that's why you're blind and retarded.  Ohhh, I see more things to buy, that must mean I NEED to buy them.  You're talking like every F2P MMO player is a money spewing fool.  News flash, most F2P MMOs players are very conservative with their money.  Why do you think they play F2P in the first place?  Oh, that's right...so they can only pay a couple dollars a month to play.

And again, for I don't know..that 5th time?  Microtransactions does NOT mean just cash shops.  Why can't you understand that?  Are you really going to forsake a game for having paid services that have no direct interference with the game?  You are, and some other people are too, and that's why I'm calling all you retards.  You sound like hicks with tunnel vision.

You sir are an arrogant fanboy who sees no further than the end of his nose.   I see you swimming in the piss along with the rest and swimming hard to promote your game.  Point two, glad you have something to look forward to, but cash shops leave a bad taste to some. Retarded seems to be your opinion of anyone who doesnt see things your way.  Retards again.  I have teenage grandsons with more class than you have. Hopefully you are not an example of the community this game will have. And finally hicks with tunnel vision. Careful sonny , you intellect is showing.

Boards are there for discussion. Obivously, people agree or disagree with microtransaction and i don't see the point of personal attack for a point of view, perhaps, running out of arguments.

You sir are an arrogant fanboy who sees no further than the end of his nose.   I see you swimming in the piss along with the rest and swimming hard to promote your game.  Point two, glad you have something to look forward to, but cash shops leave a bad taste to some. Retarded seems to be your opinion of anyone who doesnt see things your way.  Retards again.  I have teenage grandsons with more class than you have. Hopefully you are not an example of the community this game will have. And finally hicks with tunnel vision. Careful sonny , you intellect is showing.

/Sigh

Again.  Microtransactions does not mean cash shops!  Can you not understand that because of old age?  You're a prime example of people who jump the gun with no valid reason.  You are condemning what will turn out to be a great game all because you ASSUME the microtransaction SE mentioned was all about cash shops.  That is pure ignorance and stupidity.

And don't worry, you've already shown your intellect.  Old age seems to have bit you already.  

Give me valid reasons and/or examples how someone changing the appearance of their character, someone transferring a server, someone paying for a vanity pet ruins your gameplay.  Tell me.  Seriously.  

*Edit

Also, arguably the biggest MMO in 2011 will also have microtransactions.  And yet the SW:ToR hopefuls are keeping an open mind.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Does it give you an in-game advantage to have more character slots? If so, then paying for them is cheating. Some cheating is worse than other cheating, but still...
    The fact is the game's cost was only 12 dollars a month, so adding in two mules making it 14 dollars makes it even with every other mmo's monthly cost.

Are you saying everyone in the game paid extra for extra slots? I find that very unlikely.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Geebus peeps, calm down...this shall ease your worries, and besides like I had already said SE has commented they don't support nor will there be Micro-transactions:

Billing Systems and Item Selling

There was a brief mention of billing practices at E3, and the interviewer tries to press Tanaka for more information. He states they wish to use an "Anniversary Billing" system, which means players will pay a certain amount of money to play for a period of time. In other words, X dollars a month, like in Final Fantasy XI; or X dollars for 30 days, which Tanaka expressed interest in at E3. As always, the developers oppose the use of micro-transactions to make items sellable. They feel by allowing players to purchase everything they want, they would rack up larger bills, but quit the game faster for lack of anything to strive for. The developers would rather players find lasting enjoyment in the game itself, instead of make a mad dash for treasure and quit soon after.

However, Sundi interjects saying not to rule out optional services altogether. For example, they may want to add server transfers or other options for players to purchase. There is no elaboration on what else they have in mind, but they will be considering what to offer.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

There was also an article stating their firm stance against micro transaction in the form of cash shops for in game items.
    The items they are referring to are more then likely the character slots, server transfers, mini-expansions, security tokens, and so forth just like FFXI. Of course this is just speculation from my part as well, but it is far too early to determine and I see how it can be taken out of context. I would just suggest a wait and see approach, and I doubt they will screw the pooch on this one.

Don't need to read anymore because this is probably the only right answer.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

Does it give you an in-game advantage to have more character slots? If so, then paying for them is cheating. Some cheating is worse than other cheating, but still...

Are you saying everyone in the game paid extra for extra slots? I find that very unlikely.

Its not really paying for extra slots but paying for an extra character for its slots"Mule". If you played FFXI you would understand why people paid the the xtra $1 for another character. People lvl more than one job(class) which means more equipment to store which equals more space taken up. I had 4 mules with hordes of equipment and crafting material. I had 5 lvl 75 jobs and almost everything else at 37 and lvl 90ish smith so I need the space. To answer your question no not EVERYONE had a mule but I would say 75-80% did and the other 20-25% is the new player that doesn't need space.

• Originally posted by swalker23

Its not really paying for extra slots but paying for an extra character for its slots"Mule". If you played FFXI you would understand why people paid the the xtra $1 for another character. People lvl more than one job(class) which means more equipment to store which equals more space taken up. I had 4 mules with hordes of equipment and crafting material. I had 5 lvl 75 jobs and almost everything else at 37 and lvl 90ish smith so I need the space. To answer your question no not EVERYONE had a mule but I would say 75-80% did and the other 20-25% is the new player that doesn't need space.

You also left out the part where it gives you additional auction house slots and access to multiple auction houses simultaneously, allowing you to increase your game profits.  Irregardless of how many people bought extra mules, it still gave you an advantage that you paid for with a monthly transaction fee, not one you earned through play time or any other in-game achievement.  There's zero difference between that and paying for those same advantages with a cash shop transaction.

You also left out the part where it gives you additional auction house slots and access to multiple auction houses simultaneously, allowing you to increase your game profits.  Irregardless of how many people bought extra mules, it still gave you an advantage that you paid for with a monthly transaction fee, not one you earned through play time or any other in-game achievement.  There's zero difference between that and paying for those same advantages with a cash shop transaction.

GOD, he wasn't even talking about the advantages , he was just giving out the info.

And saying there's zero difference is just wrong, don't get me started on this, just re-read the whole thread since you probably forgotten 90% of it repeating the same things over and over.

Originally posted by trepo

GOD, he wasn't even talking about the advantages , he was just giving out the info.

And saying there's zero difference is just wrong, don't get me started on this, just re-read the whole thread since you probably forgotten 90% of it repeating the same things over and over.

lol Thank you trepo seems like someone understood what I typed.

To comment on Sixpax, yes I also used my mules to sell stuff on the AH to sell things faster. Later like everyone else I started to bazaar my goods in Rolenberry Fields. In a way it is advantage do to making gil faster, but not a advantage that it impacts someone else's gameplay. Well unless you are undercutting items to sell faster and quicker profit but thats just how a economy goes, look at real life.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Isn't it true that in other MMO's you get a bunch of character slots to make extra ones? How is that any different from XI, besides that fact that you have to pay for extra ones? Sure, most other MMO's you're restricted to one class per character, but that doesn't mean you can't use extra characters for mules the same way? Anyway, all of this is not such a big deal. So much overreaction for everything. Let's just chill and be excited.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil