Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microtransactions already planned for FFXIV

Comments

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by Sixpax

how many of you bought extra characters in FFXI just for the Mog space?

This guy

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Something I hope they enhanced a bit and was a bit frustrating and/or weird was that weapon/armor equipped took space in bag!! and that the starter bag was a bit small.

Originally posted by VirgoThree

You'd be surprise the number of people that support microtransactions. Especially when you consider the console gamers who have been slowly weened into it via DLC on PSN or XBL. I have numerous friends who purchase mini DLC just for the uber gun, or uber armor in a single player game that will only last them 6-10 hours of gameplay.
    Personally I don't care either way, but I would prefer to keep such purchases out of the game.

It matters on things ...

With DLC you are expanding your game play. The trouble I have with DLC is that developers are purposfully keeping stuff out of the initial game to add extra missions later and charge people. <-- bad form. I am a fan of what Bethesda does personally. They give you a core game, add additional contend over the next year (that doesn't feel like they made it before and held it back), then a year or so later they release a Game of the Year edition that has all the DLC and the core game included. I personally won't buy much DLC. Map packs for multiplayer games like Halo or COD: sure. Buying a stat upgrade for NHL 10: fuck no. For Fallout I didn't buy any of the DLC and just got the GOTY edition, played through it and was able to sell it again.

With the PSN and XBL it is slightly different. I mean I sold all my Final Fantasy games a year or so back. Ended up getting almost $100 for my copy of Final Fantasy 7. Best day of my PSN life was when I got to snag it for $10 again. If it is a game I am going to want to keep and play over and over again then I will download it. However if it ends up being something with a finite ending or zero replayability then it is getting skipped. Those are the renters or the games I get off game fly to achievement whore. Very few things that are downloadable that are worth keeping.

In an MMO world you can't really have an item mall that is filled with things that are game changers. If you can buy the best sword in the game from a mall there is no (maybe less)  challenge in the game and it isn't fair to people who don't have mommy's credit card ready to buy anything they want. If it is things that do not matter to the grand scheme of the game, that is cool. For instance those two WoW pets they introduced a little while back. Possessing those pets changes nothing other than the aesthetics of the character while the mob is out. If buying it gave you bonus exp or something like that it would be very wrong.

SE hit the proverbial line in the sand with their security keys in FFXI. Spending $10 got you your security token, but it also increased your bag by double what it was. Is it a game changer? Potentially. You can hold more gear to swap or you can farm longer. The only thing that didn't cause SE to cross the line was the fact that the $10 was the payment for the device and shipping to you. Anyone who bought it solely to increase their inventory did it wrong and ironically were the ones bitching that they had to spend $10 to increase their inventory.

•  

Originally posted by ic0n67

In an MMO world you can't really have an item mall that is filled with things that are game changers. If you can buy the best sword in the game from a mall there is no (maybe less)  challenge in the game and it isn't fair to people who don't have mommy's credit card ready to buy anything they want. If it is things that do not matter to the grand scheme of the game, that is cool. For instance those two WoW pets they introduced a little while back. Possessing those pets changes nothing other than the aesthetics of the character while the mob is out. If buying it gave you bonus exp or something like that it would be very wrong.

I was of the same mindset before playing an item mall based game, but now not so much. To me, it's no more fair that the basement-dwelling no-life can advance in a P2P game faster than those of us with a full-time job and RL time sinks. So because I succeed at life I have to be penalized in the game and the guy who fails at life is a game-god? Item malls swing the pendulum back the other way so the guy making the money can afford to buy things that advance him faster. He's rewarded in-game for being a success in life. It actually levels the playing field if you think about it, whereas with a strictly P2P game, it's always lopsided... either you devote your life to the game or you're always behind. In fact, there are many things I simply cannot achieve in some P2P MMO games, because I do have a life. In the game I'm playing now, the casual players get to keep up with the hardcore players and they all get to play together. I don't see anything at all wrong with that. It actually makes more sense to me.

With that being said, I'm against the idea of having equipment on item malls, as that has game-breaking ramifications (like making crafting pointless), but I don't see anything wrong with offering the casual players with RL jobs things like XP potions and such to keep up with the Johnny no-life's.

• trepotrepo Member Posts: 119

I was of the same mindset before playing an item mall based game, but now not so much. To me, it's no more fair that the basement-dwelling no-life can advance in a P2P game faster than those of us with a full-time job and RL time sinks. So because I succeed at life I have to be penalized in the game and the guy who fails at life is a game-god? Item malls swing the pendulum back the other way so the guy making the money can afford to buy things that advance him faster. He's rewarded in-game for being a success in life. It actually levels the playing field if you think about it, whereas with a strictly P2P game, it's always lopsided... either you devote your life to the game or you're always behind. In fact, there are many things I simply cannot achieve in some P2P MMO games, because I do have a life. In the game I'm playing now, the casual players get to keep up with the hardcore players and they all get to play together. I don't see anything at all wrong with that. It actually makes more sense to me.
    With that being said, I'm against the idea of having equipment on item malls, as that has game-breaking ramifications (like making crafting pointless), but I don't see anything wrong with offering the casual players with RL jobs things like XP potions and such to keep up with the Johnny no-life's.

Life is about choices. For you, someone fail at life if he can spend 100 hours a week playing an MMO. The guy who plays 100 hours a week probably think that people who work their ass off are mildly retarded. So this is all related to personal point of view. If you feel the need  in your life to compete with the guy who plays 100 hours a week, you have the choice to quit everything and start competing with him. Following your logic, if you can buy the same items that the guy took 500 hours to earn, i guess the guy should be able to afford the same things you have in real life with his in-game money. This is a non-sense and this is probably why microtransaction is a non-sense.

This comes from someone who has a life (in your point of view).

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Or, and I know that this is a pretty radical idea, you could play the game and quit worrying about what other players are doing or what stuff they might have that you don't.  The only person setting these unrealistic expectations or a sense of being 'penalized' is you.

• trepotrepo Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Shoju

Or, and I know that this is a pretty radical idea, you could play the game and quit worrying about what other players are doing or what stuff they might have that you don't.  The only person setting these unrealistic expectations or a sense of being 'penalized' is you.

Thumbs up. Enjoy the journey. MMO is not a sport or a race.

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by trepo

Thumbs up. Enjoy the journey. MMO is not a sport or a race.

Hear hear!

I've never strived to have the best equipment nor have the most money.  Honestly, it saddens me when I see so many people treat their MMOs like a second job...is having to be the top dog really that important to people?  If it is, you have issues.

Actually ... that is the problem with MMOs today. People living in a bubbles. Everything you do in an MMO has consequences on other players. Just like anything you do in real life has consequences on other people. That is why it is an MMO and not just come random game you picked up at GameStop.

I mean it could be something as simple as if you kill wolf X then the next player needs to wait for wolf X respawn. It could be something major as the ramifications of real money trading where if someone has the ability of buying online currency extra currency is pushed into the market that shouldn't be there and then the price of the item that was purchased goes up hurting the person standing next to you that just earned enough the good ol' fashioned way that now can't afford it because the price has gone up (due to supply and demand). Any MMO player that thinks they are an island are doing a great disservice to not themselves, but the community as a whole.

Actually ... that is the problem with MMOs today. People living in a bubbles. Everything you do in an MMO has consequences on other players. Just like anything you do in real life has consequences on other people. That is why it is an MMO and not just come random game you picked up at GameStop.

I mean it could be something as simple as if you kill wolf X then the next player needs to wait for wolf X respawn. It could be something major as the ramifications of real money trading where if someone has the ability of buying online currency extra currency is pushed into the market that shouldn't be there and then the price of the item that was purchased goes up hurting the person standing next to you that just earned enough the good ol' fashioned way that now can't afford it because the price has gone up (due to supply and demand). Any MMO player that thinks they are an island are doing a great disservice to not themselves, but the community as a whole.

I am not talking about isolating yourself from the playerbase/community, but just playing the damn game instead of being a slave to your ego and trying to turn games into World of 'Keeping-up-with-the-Joneses'-Craft; a game you will never win as there will always be someone out there that has better everything than you, regardless of how much time/RMT you put into it.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

The fact that MMO's have turned into e-sports is the only reason you're even making this statement.  It's not about competition or staying ahead, or at least it didn't used to be.

I'm so sick of everyone's obssession with this facade of "end game" and rushing to it as fast as possible I've gone back to older generation MMO's.  A truly good game doesn't have you running on a hamster wheel, especially if you're a casual gamer, constantly.  Then again, this is yet another major problem with gear based, level restrictive games.

Oh and the entire point of a subscription based model is to AVOID money sinks, ie cash shops, microtransactions etc.  That money should be going to continuous and more importantly frequent updates.  It seems Asheron's Call has been the only game to produce a moderate to major content patch just about every month for 10 years; and this is why I've gone back.  No other game produces content on that scale to keep the game fresh.  But that's another post for another time.

I am not talking about isolating yourself from the playerbase/community, but just playing the damn game instead of being a slave to your ego and trying to turn games into World of 'Keeping-up-with-the-Joneses'-Craft; a game you will never win as there will always be someone out there that has better everything than you, regardless of how much time/RMT you put into it.

Well before start commenting on my ego, please read other things i have posted. Personally I don't give a rats ass about any piece of gear anyone else has nor do I ever really care about the next shiney pixel. You are talking to the guy that in three years of sky raids got one piece of gear because that is all he ever rolled on. The guy who in 5 years of Dynamis got 4 pieces of gear and was only really there because he had fun doing so.

I don't think I ever said that FFXIV should be like WoW. I could be wrong there. The only reason I even brought up WoW was because their recent hate from selling their in game pets and it was a good comparison to what you can and can't do with an Item Mall before it becomes a game break. Then again if they make the game where the entire game is micro transaction then the whole argument would get thrown out the window.

• bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153

if true ill cross this off my list of mmo,s. No way i will support this stuff in a subed based mmo nor will i play "free to play" mmos which are not free but filled with cash shops lol...

bobm111

• keichi98keichi98 Member Posts: 6

What I think SE should do and it what I would do is this say if u have a preexisting account with then ie ffxi I buy the ffxiv for my ps3 (hopefully they'll publish the game on that) I can use the same user account to play no separate billing thingy. U know it makes sense right? Well to me it does at least if u don't understand what I am trying to say I'm sorry.

keichimorisato98

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by keichi98

What I think SE should do and it what I would do is this say if u have a preexisting account with then ie ffxi I buy the ffxiv for my ps3 (hopefully they'll publish the game on that) I can use the same user account to play no separate billing thingy.

That's pretty much how it already works.  You make an account with Square-Enix Account Management {which everyone should now have that signed up for the FFXIV beta or before...} and you can add your FFXI ID here.  And if you bought an Authenticator, an account here is required to register it and apply it to protecting your FFXI account. 

If you don't have an FFXI ID yet, you can add it to your new account created for the FFXIV beta, and there you have it an account under the same name that supports both FFXI and FFXIV.  However, billing is only handled using PlayOnline atm, but for FFXIV it'll be done here at this website using your new account, but its not been said if FFXI billing will be switched to here once FFXIV launches.

Well before start commenting on my ego, please read other things i have posted.

Re-read my post.  I wasn't referring to you, I was talking about those like the guy above that end up buying gold/items as a means to satiate their need to feel good about themselves or try look/be as awesome as everyone else.

Um I know this off topic but is the final fantasy know worth my money? Cus id love to play but o2p mmos I can't do atm cus of money but I'm thinking of getting a job and trying one of then p2p know just try 1 and I absolutely love final fantasy and anything SE you see I've only played f2p so is there a quality difference and is there like an actual story with character development like in a normal rpg title these r all questions I have so can. Some1 please kind enough to answer them ease.

keichimorisato98

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by keichi98

Um I know this off topic but is the final fantasy know worth my money? Cus id love to play but o2p mmos I can't do atm cus of money but I'm thinking of getting a job and trying one of then p2p know just try 1 and I absolutely love final fantasy and anything SE you see I've only played f2p so is there a quality difference and is there like an actual story with character development like in a normal rpg title these r all questions I have so can. Some1 please kind enough to answer them ease.

Have you ever played an MMO before?

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Yeah i have only f2p what I want to know is if a p2p Lloyd is money well spent and since I'm a big SE fan I wanted to play ffonline and ffonline2 (ffxi and ffxiv) I've heard alot mixed reviews on various gaming sites and from various people.

keichimorisato98

Well, the game is better than any f2p around there. You get better service, more updates and overall better gaming experience than in a f2p MMO. Comparing XIV to the single player games, like in other MMO's there is more emphasis on gameplay and that's what you'll be doing most of your playtime, but story is there and while overall you'll be doing something other than experiencing the story, there will be just as much of it or more as in the single player FF games. The story is also a bit different than normally, instead of having a party of playable characters you are one of the players in a group that is experiencing the story at the same time.

If you're tight on money, I would suggest just skipping FFXI and playing XIV once it comes out.

I have couple more off topic Q's last ones I promise will ffxiv be published on the ps3 if so that'll save a lot of money if not I am gonna need 1 hell of a computer to play it cus my current computer can barely handle the graphics of neo steam (neo steam is a f2p mmo) well I can have it on recommended setting never on its highest I can't play fable 1 on its highest setting so sorry I tend to ramble on about things so in advanced im sorry.

keichimorisato98

Yes, the game will be available on PS3 from day 1.

I recommend getting some kind of USB keyboard for it though. Mouse isn't important.

Thank you very much for answering all of my questions its greatly appreciated. Now I feel more comfortable about signing up for final fantasy online 2

keichimorisato98

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I'm curious... for those of you who are totally against micro transactions that affect game play, how many of you bought extra characters in FFXI just for the Mog space?  If SE were to offer a $1/month fee to double your Mog space, would that be more appealing to you than having to manage a mule, or is that stepping over the mico-transactions-are-the-devil line?  What's the difference?  Personally, I'd much rather pay for more space and be able to store it all on the same character than pay for another character and have to mail stuff back and forth.

This would not be a problem.

Other things that would not be a problem

Cosmetic changes for money. Change hair, change race, face gender. 

Other things that wouldnt be a problem Microdownloadable content instead of traditional expansions. Like the last 3 they did on FFXI that is ok.

A problem would be

Gems sold in a item mall which can be gotten in game to but are used to craft or enhance weapons and equipment. That on top of a  fee is a NO

Another example. - Items equipment or weapons that provide more than just a cosmetic or minor benefit. If the item only gives like a 5% speed boost that is only active in PvE  when not in battle thats fine.

Different colors to chocobos thats fine. AS long as you can get it in game.

What I am worried about  is things like CRAFTING being cash shop sink, 

Things like PETS being cash shop sinks. These are very typical money sinks for F2P games. If SE did this, if they used the cash shop to actually be able to buy materials to craft, or stat bonuses for pets or something like that then yes I say its a big deal and it has crossed the line.

Now that I have herd about the microtransactions. I will not simply say NO FFXIV SUCKS. I  will sit back, NOT buy the ps3 I was planning to buy earlier this month for it. Wait until its out, and see what kind of thing are actually in the cash shop. 

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

Well, i just crossed this game off my "to buy" list. I'm not paying a company for shit twice.