Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microtransactions already planned for FFXIV

ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

From a December interview;

www.develop-online.net/news/33514/Final-Fantasy-XIV-a-serious-WoW-rival-says-Wada

"Wada went on to outline the subscription and microtransaction models that FFXIV will employ, adding the company is looking to improve on the Final Fantasy XI system.

“The basic model hasn't changed,” he said. “It's a monthly flat rate service with additional charges for items that users want to buy.

“For FFXI we didn't initially set up the item transaction model that well – although the demand for it was high. We thought that it would be a benefit for users, but that we wouldn't be able to charge.

“We soon learnt that there are a lot of people who want that kind of model, so we would like to introduce more pay-as-you-use items into the game. But there were too few items in FFXI – however we don't want to take it to the other extreme entirely for FFXIV."

Comments

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

There was also an article stating their firm stance against micro transaction in the form of cash shops for in game items.

The items they are referring to are more then likely the character slots, server transfers, mini-expansions, security tokens, and so forth just like FFXI. Of course this is just speculation from my part as well, but it is far too early to determine and I see how it can be taken out of context. I would just suggest a wait and see approach, and I doubt they will screw the pooch on this one.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

There was also an article stating their firm stance against micro transaction in the form of cash shops for in game items.
    The items they are referring to are more then likely the character slots, server transfers, mini-expansions, security tokens, and so forth just like FFXI. Of course this is just speculation from my part as well, but it is far too early to determine and I see how it can be taken out of context. I would just suggest a wait and see approach, and I doubt they will screw the pooch on this one

Agreed, I think SE will do a great job on this game and I can't wait anymore. I just wished they let some more info slip

• EATtheDEADEATtheDEAD Member Posts: 207

i am whole heartedly against micro-transaction shops in any mmo.  i cant freakin stand them! when soe put em in all their games it was fine at first. nothing big, just some crap items nobody really cared about.  then they started adding more and more to it until there was some badass shit on there that you could only get from the shop. not in game at all. so if you didnt fork out more dough you were SOL

which is total bullshit. item shops should stay the hell out of p2p mmo's. server transfers and renames and what not like that should be purchaseable on the website.  if i see a bitchin item in the game i should be able to craft it or loot it and not have to pay 5 fucking dollars of my actual money to get a virtual world worthless thingy.

micro shops are gonna make this genre even worse then its already become

--------------------------------------
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The force shall free me.
    -the Sith code

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Shoju

From a December interview;
    www.develop-online.net/news/33514/Final-Fantasy-XIV-a-serious-WoW-rival-says-Wada

"Wada went on to outline the subscription and microtransaction models that FFXIV will employ, adding the company is looking to improve on the Final Fantasy XI system.
    “The basic model hasn't changed,” he said. “It's a monthly flat rate service with additional charges for items that users want to buy.
    “For FFXI we didn't initially set up the item transaction model that well – although the demand for it was high. We thought that it would be a benefit for users, but that we wouldn't be able to charge.
    “We soon learnt that there are a lot of people who want that kind of model, so we would like to introduce more pay-as-you-use items into the game. But there were too few items in FFXI – however we don't want to take it to the other extreme entirely for FFXIV."

Hmm I guess I won't be trying FFXIV.  

• EmosquitoEmosquito Member Posts: 11

grr the only reason why I would play this game is because I knew you would have to pay for content per month and not micro transactions

• Ninja5000Ninja5000 Member Posts: 16

I am thinking this will only be for cosmetic items like how WOW has pets you can buy. I doubt the items will have a impact on the game, other than looking different of course. I really cant see how this could make someone not play a game. If someone wants to waste there money on niknak nonsense then whatever, I will be playing either way.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

well for one we have no idea what that intales. They said they had micro tranactions in FFXI, but they were nothing like 99% of games with micro transactions. It was all either based on the RL items like the leviathan penent, add on senarios (mini expansions) security token and such. I can 99.9% garuntee that it wont be stupid game changing crap like exp potions or weapons or anything of that nature. For the people above that are giving up on the game based on that statment, don't. This is not 100% fact and its very very likely he ment MC's like the ones i posted above.

If SE were to put tradional F2P stuff like exp items, weapons, gear, enhancemets, you would see the FFXI and ANYONE intrested in this gamethrow a giant hissy fit over it. SE would be out of their mind's stupid to do what most people think they are (as in the crappy micro transaction stuff) 

also take note of the underlined.

“We soon learnt that there are a lot of people who want that kind of model, so we would like to introduce more pay-as-you-use items into the game. But there were too few items in FFXI – however we don't want to take it to the other extreme entirely for FFXIV.

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Ninja5000

I am thinking this will only be for cosmetic items like how WOW has pets you can buy. I doubt the items will have a impact on the game, other than looking different of course. I really cant see how this could make someone not play a game. If someone wants to waste there money on niknak nonsense then whatever, I will be playing either way.

This right here.  It's just a smart business move on SEs end.  Vanity items are always a nice cash flow.

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

There's no doubt in my mind that the microtransactions that will be in FFXIV won't have anything to do with the actual game itself, for example weapons and armor.  If anything it'll have stupid stuff like non-combat pets and such like others have mentioned.  Don't worry, SE isn't stupid.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

This won't be a cash shop style, SE is talking about better services for world transfers, name changes, & possibly vanity options like character recustomization and heck why not race change too.  Maybe even a paid hairstyles, recolors or even changing the look of your starting undergarments and colors etc.

SE has strictly said this won't be a micro-transaction game, and more towards things that users want or need.  Nobody really wants or needs micro-vanity BS!

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Khrymson

This won't be a cash shop style, SE is talking about better services for world transfers, name changes, & possibly vanity options like character recustomization and heck why not race change too.  Maybe even a paid hairstyles, recolors or even changing the look of your starting undergarments and colors etc.

SE has strictly said this won't be a micro-transaction game, and more towards things that users want or need.  Nobody really wants or needs micro-vanity BS!

I agree. Although we'll still hear about how evil it is and how it'll forever change the mmo landscape for all eternity.

• ZorlacZorlac Member Posts: 101

I think the only thing I would ever consider buying in a MMO would be a shat load of item storage space. I want to be able to collect every item possible if I wanted too. Or save a ton of crafting supplies or various items I am trying to get a stack of for the AH. Or...better yet, everytime you get an item, maybe it could be added to a beastiary type interface. You know...some games have beastiaries (SIC) where a picture and details of every monster you kill are shown. Like a gallery. They should do this for items too for us collectors.  :)

Anyways...if thats not possible. I want massive storage space.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by Zorlac

I think the only thing I would ever consider buying in a MMO would be a shat load of item storage space. I want to be able to collect every item possible if I wanted too. Or save a ton of crafting supplies or various items I am trying to get a stack of for the AH. Or...better yet, everytime you get an item, maybe it could be added to a beastiary type interface. You know...some games have beastiaries (SIC) where a picture and details of every monster you kill are shown. Like a gallery. They should do this for items too for us collectors.  :)
    Anyways...if thats not possible. I want massive storage space.

you sic-ed yourself ? I don't think that is possible >.>

anywho ... If anything it would be like FFXI is where you get an item in game for buying an item out of game. Nothing game changing just cosmetic.

• SerulithSerulith Member Posts: 92

Pretty much every MMO on the market has microtransactions now (Character name change, Sex change, faction change, server transfer, cosmetic pets, etc.).

Microtransactions doesnt just refer to weapons and such...you would think by now the MMO crowd knows this. /sigh

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

Even though this isn't a big deal, a lot of people just quit following this game.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by Serulith

Pretty much every MMO on the market has microtransactions now (Character name change, Sex change, faction change, server transfer, cosmetic pets, etc.).
    Microtransactions doesnt just refer to weapons and such...you would think by now the MMO crowd knows this. /sigh

Amen to that. 

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Wow don't go getting all emo and cutting yourselves.  The devs are firmly against the F2P cash shop model.  These will be fluff, and things like char slots, server transfers, etc.  They won't be for XP potions or anything that gives any advantage to a player over someone who just pays the monthly fee. 

Every MMO on the market has some form of this. 

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

well saw the title of the thread, havent read all of it.. but... and i say this as a personal opinion only. Who cares, i personally could care less if an mmo i play has a cash shop of ne kind in it. Even if there are things like XP potions, doesnt mean im going to use them. Ill use those types of things if they are part of some sort of vet reward program sure, but im fine getting by on my own work and progres.

If a game has a cash shop with things beyond simple fluff items and such oh well cause it sure wont ruin my immersion or fun and enjoyment of the game. Especially this title. FFXI was my first real mmo experience and remains to hold a top spot as a favorite even though i couldnt keep playing for various reasons. Cash shop or no, ill be looking forward to this title

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by tehikk

Even though this isn't a big deal, a lot of people just quit following this game.

If they are that stupid just to read a post (which is missleading) and decide not to play because of that post without a little research, then I say good riddiance, and I also need to thank the OP for helping to weed these morons out from the start.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by toddze

and I also need to thank the OP for helping to weed these morons out from the start.

Then my work here is done.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269
    Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by tehikk

If they are that stupid just to read a post (which is missleading) and decide not to play because of that post without a little research, then I say good riddiance, and I also need to thank the OP for helping to weed these morons out from the start.

Obviously we don't know what form this will take but there is no way I'll play a game with an item shop and a sub. If the items for sale are server transfers, character slots then why have them in a mall, they're just account options via web page but I can live with that I guess.

As for the other 'cosmetic' items, by selling them to us they are taking items that could and should pottentially be in the game anyway and charging for them. But if we're paying a sub don't we deserve that content anyway without being charged again, isn't that the point of a sub, continued delvelopment? Even tha character slots for me is a push tbh, why the fuck am I being charged for something I'm already paying for? Total bollocks, they managed to supply those slots in other games for my sub fee, but now all of a sudden its an extra charge?

Sorry, the game looks good but with a mall it's the same as STO will probably be, subs with mall is just baiting to people who want to be mugged off.

If they want to increase the subs, by all means do so, but don't try and scam me into paying more, show me the full price of the sub and I'll decide to pay or not, but it's the principle more than anything, they basically counting on peoples stupidity, I won't be one of them.

I hope it's all nonsense though and the only extra charges are for things that would fall outside the norm, such as transfers.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Funny there is a post on this,because this is exactly what was going through my mind as i sit and wait for news on this game.

I noticed over the last couple of years,that Square is starting to get a bit money greedy,and trying to implement ways to make more cash .

Examples....last two MAJOR expansions were released before they were finished.

Pay for extra security and bribed with more mog space.There is no such thing as extra security,either your game is safe or it is not.

The pay 1$ extra was also a nickle and dime idea ,heck i had 5 mules,that makes the sub fee more than any other game on the market.This was all because of a totally different crafting system and lack of space.Heck playing Ranger in the early years ,would take up every single space.Sure this was from the beginning,but it is still nickle and dime tactics.

The latest 3 expansions would not equal one good expansion if all 3 were added together.They instead sell each individually to make more money.Imo all three were so poor they should have been free,but of course they throw that bribe in their again by having some new gear that you can only get if you buy.

What i fear is that this new game is going to have some sneaky methods to draw out once again more money.The obvious one that pops into my head is lack of space.If they are going to implement a jack of all trades design,then they had better have the space allotment,so we can actually carry the gear to make on the fly changes in class.

When i hear things like "MANY people want a item mall" that shows complete stupidity,good for the developer to make again more cash,but for gaming purposes,it is ridiculous to even consider it.If Square turns there franchise into another Asian F2P clone and that is exactly what item malls do,that will be it for them,downhill from there on.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• trepotrepo Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Pay for extra security and bribed with more mog space.There is no such thing as extra security,either your game is safe or it is not.

Games login are secure. But there are ways to add to this security. Read about double factor authentication. Implementing security token or a one time logon access code everytime you login just add to the security even if your login/password becomes compromised. They could enforce it and force the players to pay, instead, they give you the option.

As for the microtransaction, i highly doubt it will happen. I don't even think it crossed their mind to give players advantages based on real money. They're probably going to implement some sort of system to change your avatar, have multiple characters on your account and such things.

• I'm curious... for those of you who are totally against micro transactions that affect game play, how many of you bought extra characters in FFXI just for the Mog space?  If SE were to offer a $1/month fee to double your Mog space, would that be more appealing to you than having to manage a mule, or is that stepping over the mico-transactions-are-the-devil line?  What's the difference?  Personally, I'd much rather pay for more space and be able to store it all on the same character than pay for another character and have to mail stuff back and forth.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Funny there is a post on this,because this is exactly what was going through my mind as i sit and wait for news on this game.
    I noticed over the last couple of years,that Square is starting to get a bit money greedy,and trying to implement ways to make more cash .
    Examples....last two MAJOR expansions were released before they were finished.
    The pay 1$ extra was also a nickle and dime idea ,heck i had 5 mules,that makes the sub fee more than any other game on the market.This was all because of a totally different crafting system and lack of space.Heck playing Ranger in the early years ,would take up every single space.Sure this was from the beginning,but it is still nickle and dime tactics.
    The latest 3 expansions would not equal one good expansion if all 3 were added together.They instead sell each individually to make more money.Imo all three were so poor they should have been free,but of course they throw that bribe in their again by having some new gear that you can only get if you buy.
    What i fear is that this new game is going to have some sneaky methods to draw out once again more money.The obvious one that pops into my head is lack of space.If they are going to implement a jack of all trades design,then they had better have the space allotment,so we can actually carry the gear to make on the fly changes in class.
    When i hear things like "MANY people want a item mall" that shows complete stupidity,good for the developer to make again more cash,but for gaming purposes,it is ridiculous to even consider it.If Square turns there franchise into another Asian F2P clone and that is exactly what item malls do,that will be it for them,downhill from there on.

You'd be surprise the number of people that support microtransactions. Especially when you consider the console gamers who have been slowly weened into it via DLC on PSN or XBL. I have numerous friends who purchase mini DLC just for the uber gun, or uber armor in a single player game that will only last them 6-10 hours of gameplay.

Personally I don't care either way, but I would prefer to keep such purchases out of the game.