Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...what is Richard Garriott up to these days?

PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

I was wondering also how his lawsuit against NCsoft fared.

Personally, I find him a bit of a hero in my opinion, being the creator of Ultima and the voice of Lord British.

Comments

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

I read a news article somewhere saying he was going to create another MMO.  If I find the link I'll post it. 

Ahh found it, a little dated http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88422-Richard-Garriott-Wants-To-Do-A-New-Game

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Well, after exhausting all the inspiration that space has to offer he's teamed up with Mario in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Isn't he ruining er I mean helping CO?

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

Not a fan I presume?

I do wonder if anyone will try something simlair to TR again. I mean, yes it was a flop unfortunately. But it's good that something new was tried to give a new experience to gamers. We all know how 2009 was pretty much a snore for MMO players, and I've always had a thing for games that try and experiment with the traditional MMO model.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Halo-Bump

Not a fan I presume?

Nah I don't care about him but his past 2 mmos failed or nearly failed so uhm something wrong with his point of view in games.

He comes up with the ideas though.

Perhaps it's one of those cases where he should be involved in some of the process, but the marketing and fesability should be left to more experienced people?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Halo-Bump

I was wondering also how his lawsuit against NCsoft fared.
    Personally, I find him a bit of a hero in my opinion, being the creator of Ultima and the voice of Lord British.

After the Tabula Rasa debacle and the fact that he hasnt produced anything wortwhile in the last 10 years you still see him as a hero?

He used to be a visionary, once long time ago, but has now dissapeared into obscurity. The fact that Tabula Rasa is so completely different than UO and a linear, themepark, simplistic type of game just shows how he has "forgot" what made UO great.

You make a very good point Yamota.

Been reading up on what he's done recently, and it's disappointing.

It's a shame when the way is lost like that. I hope certain other MMOs won't be like that.

Things like GW2 or WoW or EVE. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Nah I don't care about him but his past 2 mmos failed or nearly failed so uhm something wrong with his point of view in games.

His ideas for gameplay are terrific.  He's just not very good at managing a team.  TR failed because it spent tons of cash on reinventing the game mid development rather than developing different modes of gameplay.

Many of his ideas were the shiny bits of an otherwise dull game.  Control Points were a good idea, tactical mob ai(where different groups of mobs complemented each other in different ways and require changing tactics to take them down)was good, the "eloh" stuff was cool; the constant flow of the warfront was largely his vision and paved the way for dynamic content.

Unfortunately, the game dumped years of development and shipped with only one mode of gameplay:  shooting stuff.  After an overly long beta, to make matters worse...

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

After trying 6 different MMO's after TR, I prefer TR.  I wish RG gets it back and relaunch TR.

• abhaighabhaigh Member Posts: 390

It's passed on! This gameis no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It''s a stiff! Bereft of life, It

rests in peace! It's databases are now 'istory! It''s off the net! it''s kicked the bucket, 'It's shut off its last server, turned the power off and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-MMORPG!!

It's gone, get over it

-=A=-

[apologies to M.Python]

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by abhaigh

It's passed on! This gameis no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It''s a stiff! Bereft of life, It

rests in peace! It's databases are now 'istory! It''s off the net! it''s kicked the bucket, 'It's shut off its last server, turned the power off and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-MMORPG!!
    It's gone, get over it
    -=A=-
    [apologies to M.Python]

Funny note, Hellgate was in the same boat. I say was because it seems to have a relaunch coming our way lol. So, there is always a chance.  

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

It's gone, get over it
    -=A=-
    [apologies to M.Python]

Funny note, Hellgate was in the same boat. I say was because it seems to have a relaunch coming our way lol. So, there is always a chance.  

HellGate didn't fully die and disappear from the MMO market it just disappeared from the US/EU market its being doing just fine in Asian markets though.

Tabula Rasa on the other hand is gone completely..and good riddence..the original game they were building sounded awsome..what we got was ... predicable EQ1 style mob camping boringness with some guns involved.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by banthis

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

It's gone, get over it
    -=A=-
    [apologies to M.Python]

HellGate didn't fully die and disappear from the MMO market it just disappeared from the US/EU market its being doing just fine in Asian markets though.

Tabula Rasa on the other hand is gone completely..and good riddence..the original game they were building sounded awsome..what we got was ... predicable EQ1 style mob camping boringness with some guns involved.

TR could have been soooooo much more then what we got. The early game seemed like the best MMO ever and then you hit midgame and the entire facade fell away. Another year or so of beta and developement and it might have been a hit, instead it ended up the steaming pile of $^&* that it truly was. Rg could relaunch it now to the same failure it was when it was shut down. It needs a ton of work to ever get a rerelease worth trying.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

It's gone, get over it
    -=A=-
    [apologies to M.Python]

No its not! Its just resting!  ^^ TR had some entertaining elements to it. The base defense against the Bane happened to be one of my favorites.  But it had too many things against it.  RG just doesn't manage people nearly as well as he does designs.  I'd like to see it come back and be done right this time. But that would take quite a bit of money and talent, things NCsoft is not likely to provide a western game at this point.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

TR is really dead, the IP is locked with NCSoft and RG is already on a law suit that can potentially fund his new MMO. I don't think NCSoft plans to do anything with it, especially since they have new, upcoming stuff, like working on Aion "2.0" (and if they don't ever make at least a bit of real they are in for some vaporware reputation), Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2 and probably more unannounced titles.

IF he somehow gets that money from NCSoft then I can believe he will work on a new MMO, but still it won't be TR unless he starts yet another law suit to clean up any attachments of the IP with NCSoft, because after all it was "Richard Garriot's Tabula Rasa".

Anyway, what he will do probably depends on the lawsuit which I have no idea of the current status.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Robsolf

His ideas for gameplay are terrific.  He's just not very good at managing a team.  TR failed because it spent tons of cash on reinventing the game mid development rather than developing different modes of gameplay.

Many of his ideas were the shiny bits of an otherwise dull game.  Control Points were a good idea, tactical mob ai(where different groups of mobs complemented each other in different ways and require changing tactics to take them down)was good, the "eloh" stuff was cool; the constant flow of the warfront was largely his vision and paved the way for dynamic content.

Unfortunately, the game dumped years of development and shipped with only one mode of gameplay:  shooting stuff.  After an overly long beta, to make matters worse...

yep richard is a good brainiac ,he cooks up good idea ,but dont leave him close to the making because thats where everything is lost

say whats need i the game then go away for a month come back check thing out

you just cant cc richard in a room full of devit just wont work

just meeting once i a while to have a reality check is enough for a guy like him.

Originally posted by Wraithone

It's gone, get over it
    -=A=-
    [apologies to M.Python]

No its not! Its just resting!  ^^ TR had some entertaining elements to it. The base defense against the Bane happened to be one of my favorites.  But it had too many things against it.  RG just doesn't manage people nearly as well as he does designs.  I'd like to see it come back and be done right this time. But that would take quite a bit of money and talent, things NCsoft is not likely to provide a western game at this point.

The base defending was fun, too bad the war that was supposed to be for survival in the game felt like a weak backstory. Early levels I felt like the Bane(what a weak name for an enemy) was a threat, higher levels they became more like obstacles to quest completion instead of the main enemy they were supposed to be. I never felt like the war in the game was well run or even the main element it should have been.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

So I've heard Earthrise is gonna be similar to TR but w/o the crap

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by GamerAeon

Doubtful. ER is listed as a full loot FFA PvP game.  In other words, its another niche gankfest that will have rather limited appeal in the western markets.  What made TR fun for me was the PvE co op elements of base defense and the ability to solo the quests.  I'm long past the point where having to look over my shoulder every moment holds any entertainment for me.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Doubtful. ER is listed as a full loot FFA PvP game.  In other words, its another niche gankfest that will have rather limited appeal in the western markets.  What made TR fun for me was the PvE co op elements of base defense and the ability to solo the quests.  I'm long past the point where having to look over my shoulder every moment holds any entertainment for me.

I was not too interested in that one and now even less so. I think my days of full loot FFA PvP have passed me by. I really liked Planetsides way of play but after a couple of years no good changes left me bored there. I thought TR was going to be the one but obviously not. I may check out Global Agenda and see what that one is all about.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

I was not too interested in that one and now even less so. I think my days of full loot FFA PvP have passed me by. I really liked Planetsides way of play but after a couple of years no good changes left me bored there. I thought TR was going to be the one but obviously not. I may check out Global Agenda and see what that one is all about.

Post - Economical Collapse future where Corporations have control over the world and the main Corporation mandates that things be THIS way but you as the other Corporations agents vie for control over territories with resources.

It's pretty fun it's an MMOTPS/RPG :)

Of course I could be biased because I like it, I've beta tested it at home and in house, have a mouse pad, and a T Shirt

Post - Economical Collapse future where Corporations have control over the world and the main Corporation mandates that things be THIS way but you as the other Corporations agents vie for control over territories with resources.

Of course I could be biased because I like it, I've beta tested it at home and in house, have a mouse pad, and a T Shirt

Maybe I dismissed this one too quickly. Will have to check again and pay better attention, it might be a game worth trying afterall.

Maybe I dismissed this one too quickly. Will have to check again and pay better attention, it might be a game worth trying afterall.

the PvE in it is the same no matter what you do

Enter into Commonwealth territory beat up androids kill overtly large security assault robot boss rinse repeat get creds for it

PvP though is more of a territorial thing and that's the real appeal of the game as each Alliance is more like a seperate corporation that fight each other for control of Territories. The Art in the game is superb I can tell you that now

I've met the team in charge of this title and they're gamers making an MMO, I know a couple of them played TR too lol

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Who would have thought that this action in history would have defined him 10 years later "HE'S DEAD".