Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can someone tell me about this game?

sartoksartok Member Posts: 79

I have never played a FF game of any kind. I went to the site and didnt get alot out of it about gameplay. Is there PVP? etc etc

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

No there isn't PvP in FFXI nor will there be any in FFXIV!

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219

A little bit misguided there.

There is no PvP at the start of XIV, but the XIV team has talked about implementing sport like PvP scenarios, like they have in XI.

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Most Final Fantasy games have always focused on teamwork to fight a common enemy.

It's a very japanese-style outlook, seen a lot in several mangas.

Though, if memory serves me correctly, there were several team-based scenarios available, I would like to see more of these in this one as well. But, I would like the main game itself to be perfected first. I think that's important.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Wow, that will be a complete fail in the west. Even LotRO has PvP.

• kejjkejj Member Posts: 37
    aOriginally posted by Yamota

agree. Some kind of pvp is needed

"It's not that I'm so smart; it's just that I stay with problems longer."
    -- Albert Einstein

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by kejj

aOriginally posted by Yamota

agree. Some kind of pvp is needed

they wont have PVP off the bat, and its for a good reason.  The main reason is class balancing. Trying to balance between the 2, and this being a heavy PVE game, they tend to end up messing with each other. once you change somthing for say PVP sake, it in turn effects the PVE game, same in reverse. Once they have the PVE, which is clearly the bigger thing by far, they will put some sort of arena like PVP or sports type games like FFXI.

• WainWain Member Posts: 35

FFXI has no PvP except for some sporting type events that were added much later in the game and has been one of the longest-running most successful MMO's to date.

It has done very well in the west for years.

Originally posted by Wain

FFXI has no PvP except for some sporting type events that were added much later in the game and has been one of the longest-running most successful MMO's to date.

Exactly, everyone saying it'll fail cause it has no PvP...well go look how great all your PvP games are doing.  Yeah what I though barely a blip on the radar and always falling apart rapidly!

• CDCostaCDCosta Member Posts: 90

No PvP = Fail? haha.

Do some damn research.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Originally posted by Yamota

Why? Because every game with PVP that is released now is a success? AoC...WAR...hmmm. For somebody who has been on these forums since 2003 I would think you would know better. FFXI was and STILL is a massive hit, with next to no PVP. 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• BahraynBahrayn Member Posts: 3

Sartok you want some info about Final Fantasy XIV? :)

Check this, everything we know so far:

www.ffxionline.com/forums/ffxiv-discussion/75857-comprehensive-thread-ffxiv-information.html

Originally posted by Wain

What do you base that last statement on? As far as I know the game is huge in Japan but very small outside and I base that on the fact that when I played, a couple of years ago, about 90% of the players did not speak english (well).

West are more into competetive games where as Japan has more cooperative style of game play, there is not one western MMORPG that hasnt got some type of PvP. Hence why this game is not particulary big outside of Japan.

Originally posted by Ozreth

Why? Because every game with PVP that is released now is a success? AoC...WAR...hmmm. For somebody who has been on these forums since 2003 I would think you would know better. FFXI was and STILL is a massive hit, with next to no PVP. 

No, because every MMORPG who has been successful in the west also had some kind of PvP. It is an ingredient expected by players now.

And FFXI is not a massive hit outside of Japan and not will this game be if they ignore that PvP is not a staple ingredient in all MMORPGs these days. But yeah sure, they can get a few of houndred thousands of subs, in Japan. Which was their main audience for FF XI and will continue to be so.

and I base that on the fact that when I played, a couple of years ago, about 90% of the players did not speak english (well).

Umm...what western MMO does the English community even speak English very well to begin with?  None that I can think of...rofl!  Yeah FFXI has been in the top 3-5 most popular Western MMOs under WoW, but above all those MMOs with PvP that you claim are the bread n butter of the western player-base that only we tend to enjoy.  

FFXI has been extremely successful in the West.  Even FFXIV is being considered for the Western community more so than the JP community this time around...all the spoken dialog is being recorded in English only and the other regions are only getting subtitles.  Anyway, just don't play if you think it'll suck and fail not having PvP...it never will, at least not the bunny-hopping-madness of pewpewpew that you claim everyone here in the west wants!  We don't all want that...far from it!

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

and I base that on the fact that when I played, a couple of years ago, about 90% of the players did not speak english (well).

Umm...what western MMO does the English community even speak English very well to begin with?  None that I can think of...rofl!  Yeah FFXI has been in the top 3-5 most popular Western MMOs under WoW, but above all those MMOs with PvP that you claim are the bread n butter of the western player-base that only we tend to enjoy.  

FFXI has been extremely successful in the West.  Even FFXIV is being considered for the Western community more so than the JP community this time around...all the spoken dialog is being recorded in English only and the other regions are only getting subtitles.  Anyway, just don't play if you think it'll suck and fail not having PvP...it never will, at least not the bunny-hopping-madness of pewpewpew that you claim everyone here in the west wants!  We don't all want that...far from it!

Oh the number of times I have talked to some person from Japan (or France or Germany) who is typing perfect English but apologizing about how bad they are at it. And they should apologize their English is only better than a mere 100% of the American population.

Are you suggesting that they are going to be animating in Japanese, dubbing in English, then subing back to Japanese? So ... like they would know how we feel with the lips never matching the words? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_rLgqt90DA

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Alot of ignorance in this thread...

Game doesnt need pvp, maybe you need it... I dont, neither do alot of other people... I just want a fun well done PVE game because like someone else stated in this thread, pvp doesnt mean success as has been proven by other titles released lately and most of them if any, was not different from eachother except for a new skin.

So please do focus on PVE and make it great and as engaging as it was in FFXI and I'm a happy man and might have found the mmorpg I will be playing this year.

So run off and find another game if you cant be without pvp or find a way to express your opinion in a better way then as if your ideas and views on things are backed up by fact when it really just simply comes down to what you prefer or like and keep in mind also that you are definitely not speaking for the entire community.

Originally posted by ic0n67

Are you suggesting that they are going to be animating in Japanese, dubbing in English, then subing back to Japanese? So ... like they would know how we feel with the lips never matching the words? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_rLgqt90DA

Nope, animating in English, dubbing in English and making other regions read subtitles.  English is the universal language of the world now, and even in Japan; basic English is now a required course of all students.

Voice acting will also be included in Final Fantasy XIV for cut scenes. At this time, they plan to have English voices for all versions of the game, but provide subtitles for different languages. There will be a lot of unique and interesting NPCs for players to enjoy, and Tanaka encourages all players to look forward to all the interesting personalities they will meet throughout the land of Eorzea.

Can't find it but I thought this was also mentioned in one of the video interviews at one point also

Well ... my quip about lips not matching will still be true ...

AMERICA 3 JAPAN 7468290473682047667.8

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

While I don't believe a lack of PVP is a game killer.... It is a good idea to incorporate in some form in any MMO as it fills a niche that many people want to experience.... combat another unpredictable human.

Originally posted by narakuu

Alot of ignorance in this thread...
    Game doesnt need pvp, maybe you need it... I dont, neither do alot of other people... I just want a fun well done PVE game because like someone else stated in this thread, pvp doesnt mean success as has been proven by other titles released lately and most of them if any, was not different from eachother except for a new skin.
    So please do focus on PVE and make it great and as engaging as it was in FFXI and I'm a happy man and might have found the mmorpg I will be playing this year.
    So run off and find another game if you cant be without pvp or find a way to express your opinion in a better way then as if your ideas and views on things are backed up by fact when it really just simply comes down to what you prefer or like and keep in mind also that you are definitely not speaking for the entire community.

Yeah right, its all a coincidence that all these MMORPGS: WoW, LoTR, Eve, UO, EQ, EQ 2, AoC, WAR, STO, Aion and so on, ALL have PvP. It is as important as PvE these days.

Not saying that FF XIV will be a failure without it but it wont be mainstream as most MMORPG players get tired to only fighting AI mobiles but also wants the refreshing change to fight other real people as well.

And those of you who say FF XI is a major success in the west. It has reportedly about 500k subscribers, majority which is in Asia. So that leaves what, 100k subs in US and Europe? I would hardly call that a major success as both WAR and AoC has well over 200k. I mean does it even have Euro and US servers?

And coincidently it is rated lower than both AoC and WAR in XFire. gees, wonder why that is? Could it be that XFire is a tool mainly used in the west? hmmmm

And coincidently it is rated lower than both AoC and WAR in XFire. gees, wonder why that is? Could it be that XFire is a tool mainly used in the west? hmmmm

Not going to enter the argument other than to say I don't want PvP in the game and I enjoy FFXI more than any other MMO I have ever played. If PvP in a game is your tipping point then it sucks to be you because you will miss out on what I'd guess will be a fabulous game. You can go play your PvP game and be happy and I'll go play my PvE game and be happy. I won't piss on you or your game because it isn't for me, I expect the same.

But honestly, bringing up XFire is bringing the proverbial knife to the gun fight. XFire is only used by a select number of people world wide. XFire subscriber numbers are only brought up XFire users to who use the number as a crutch for a argument by pointing out skewed figures in a way to say their community is the superior choice. I once looked at XFire numbers for FFXI and according to them FFXI had just over 500 subscribers. Considering I went into the game and did a search of a single zone on a single server and got over 1000 players, I'll call discredible on XFire.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

What a complete and pointless argument.

Because you know, after 4 years of development where there isn't going to be any pvp, I'm sure squarenix will create PVP that is integral to the game in the next few months before their release.  I'm sure they decided that PvP is sooo important that they're going to do it during or after Open beta.

Here's an analogy for you.  It's like building a house that is almost complete only to have someone walk by and say, "boy, I sure wish that was an apartment instead."   Too late, it is what it is, and there's a lot of people waiting with nervous anticipation for FFXI to be a true alternative to the crap that's in the market right now.

Look, PvP is what ruined WoW for many people.  The constant balancing between classes OP in Arenas and nerfed in raids.  The counter to your argument is that people are SICK AND TIRED of MMOS where pvp is a part of the game.  There is a void in the mmo market right now for a purely PVE game.

FFXI was released before wow, it survived during and after wow.  I can't say that for any of the other games you listed as "being successful cause they have PvP."

And please don't generalize.  I am a western gamer and I could care less for PvP.  When I want pvp, I play Modern Warfare or Halo on Xbox.

• PearlycloudPearlycloud Member Posts: 6
    I played FFXI for about 2 years, got Chains of Promathia expansion and max toon for that expansion then stopped to play WoW.

Yes, FFXI had a small pvp arena type setting where pvp was confined to small area and you had to do it at specific time. Like a contest. Don't know what else was added after I left.

FF series was a successful with English speaking gamers.

What I didn't like about it was the group-only format. You had to group up after lvl 20, soloing was impossible. The quests weren't for xp but for city rep.

FFXIV will be more like WoW with soloable quests, etc. However, I don't know what pvp will be added, if any, and I would prefer a pve server anyways.

I haven't followed FFXI in long time but I do believe there are a lot of English speaking players in it to this day.

Seems I need to post this quote once again, for all those hoping there will be PvP in FFXIV; you claim is doomed to fail just like FFXI supposedly has yet its doing better than 90% of the western games with PvP that you appear to be claiming are not failing and on life support...hehe

What about PVP?

We have the same stance on PVP as we had in FFXI, we're having a focus on PVE, but we may introduce some sort of sports-type that might be tied to PVP in the future. What we're worrying about is that we dont want to have any PK'ing or harassment types of activities in the game. So in order to provide a safe environment to everyone and a game to enjoy. So we're not focusing on PVP.

Basically its like this, if you didn't like FFXI because it didn't have any of this true PvP you want, and you didn't like how slow and intelligent combat was handled, or ultimately you gave up after 2min in the trial because you couldn't move using WASD and were too stupid to try pressing different buttons or read the damned manual or even watch the new player video tutorials, then just don't even consider FFXIV as a viable option in your future of MMOs if all you want is PvP. 

You won't like it...FFXIV is not an MMO for you, it will never have the bunny-hopping-pewpewpew-madness you all crave and say everyone wants...we don't all want that, and if you have even a 1/4 brain you'd see that all the MMOs that do have PvP and PvE mixed together are failing miserably and barely have subs, their servers are being merged down to just 2-5 or less and devs are firing off entire development teams...etc etc etc  

Anyway...read it and weep...

• CDCostaCDCosta Member Posts: 90

Yes, FFXiV will fail because no one in the west  will like it....

Except the tens of thousands of people waiting for this game knowing -and liking- that there's no PvP....

This discussion has been closed.