Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended Power Supply

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Corsair is probably the best choice. A 650W should be enough but a 750W is never a bad idea if you plan several harddrives or just want one that is ready for anything. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by mechtech256
    Seconding bullcrap.

The Samsung F3 is currently faster than any sub $100 WD drive. It is also likely more reliable, as WD has only dual platter hard drives (barring a $300 2TB drive), while the F3 uses 500GB platters.

So while I value your opinion, opinions need to be backed up with fact.

Samsung makes the best screens out there but I don't like their harddrives.

Harddrives are however old technology that soon will be gone so my reccomendation is a SSD instead, Intel makes the best ones. A lot faster and safer even if they still are kinda small, I use a media drive for larger stuff on my computer.

If you want a traditional harddrive then Seagate is always a good choice.

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by mechtech256
    Seconding bullcrap.

The Samsung F3 is currently faster than any sub $100 WD drive. It is also likely more reliable, as WD has only dual platter hard drives (barring a $300 2TB drive), while the F3 uses 500GB platters.

So while I value your opinion, opinions need to be backed up with fact.

Samsung makes the best screens out there but I don't like their harddrives.

Harddrives are however old technology that soon will be gone so my reccomendation is a SSD instead, Intel makes the best ones. A lot faster and safer even if they still are kinda small, I use a media drive for larger stuff on my computer.

If you want a traditional harddrive then Seagate is always a good choice.

The leap to ssd will not happen any time soon, also Intel doesn't make the best ssds but is a top contender for sure.

You shouldn't suggest people to buy seagates, they are noisy, slowish and have smaller platters than competitors. Besides seagate has had way too much problems lately including the famous firmware fault which caused huge amount of disks to totally lock up.

• xKrNMBoYxxKrNMBoYx Member Posts: 165

Yea im not interested with ssd until i can get a 250 or 500 gb for a normal or around 100 more than a normal hdd.

im trying to build a pc that is the cheapest parts possible but also has 90% or 5 egg reviews.

a lot of things i read about samsung hdd isnt so good.  a lot of doa, die soon, it may just because of bad care from ups, but i dont want the risk..i dont want to pay alot for a hdd when i may have to upgrade to a 10000rpm or a ssd later

Okay this is the build I may go with so far.

Rosewill R222-P-BK

$29.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

$69.99

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

$99.99

XION PowerReal AXP-850R14N 850W

$10.00 Mail-in Rebate

$89.99 = $79.99

Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

$132.99

Foxconn FlamingBlade GTI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX

$144.99

Intel Core i7-920

$288.99

........................................................................................................

Thats $869.78 if i order it buy the 24th because of the promo code, otherwise its +$18.00

If I add the...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $29.99

120mm Case Fan x 2 $3.99 x 2

Y Cable Splitter $1.59

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total $910.98 or +$18.00 if I dont buy it before January 24th

............................................................................................................

The reason I chose the 4850 was because that the softmod if it works wont be much of a difference the higher I go, atleast the one I found.

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

- SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

$99.99

Is this really only $100 now? I'd love to replace my 3650...

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

yea at newegg..as long as the one you buy isnt the last one lol plus  have a 3650 it beats my 3450

Link plox? I'll be coming into that $100 around March. :)

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

haha here you go

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102824

theres also free shipping

Thanks.

Originally posted by xKrNMBoYx

a lot of things i read about samsung hdd isnt so good.  a lot of doa, die soon, it may just because of bad care from ups, but i dont want the risk..i dont want to pay alot for a hdd when i may have to upgrade to a 10000rpm or a ssd later

Samsung disks have proven to be silent, reliable and fast. Despite what some random people would say about them.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

DON"T DO IT!!!  lol had to say that.  Your build has a Rosewill and XION in it.  Horrible manufacturers.  You don't need 850w.  Also that ASRock you had before was one of the better motherboards of this generation.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Cleffy
    DON"T DO IT!!!  lol had to say that.  Your build has a Rosewill and XION in it.  Horrible manufacturers.  You don't need 850w.  Also that ASRock you had before was one of the better motherboards of this generation.

On a side note, I read Rosewill is a subsidary of Newegg, mostly rebranded parts (like OCZ), and that they've been trying to step up the quality of their products now to at least be mainstream quality. Dunno what they're like now but may have to reassess their quality at some point down the line, too bad their name is so stupid.

But yea, definitely get a different PSU. Not sure who Xion rebrands but you can see right away the PSU is a 4 rail PSU which is not a good thing.

Aim for a single rail PSU, for one this is usually a sign of a higher quality PSU and also one that isn't trying to fudge numbers through marketing, and for two, single rail really simplifies powering your rig since everything is on the same rail you don't have to worry about how much juice is available on each rail.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Wouldn't a single rail be pretty dangerous and pointless beyond 600w.  At 600w running the standard 170w for other rails, you are pumping 430w into 1-12v rail.  You only need it to pump 300w because of threshold caps on hardware and lines.  Not to mention the risk of over current.  The point of a single rails is in cost and simplicity to setup.  Multiple 12v rails is more ideal if you take the time to understand its layout and often they are fine without understanding it.

The real threat is actual efficiency.  Some PSU manufacturers rate efficiency at 25C which gives inaccurate wattage in real world conditions.  PSU manufacturers that rate efficiency at a proper 45-50c are usually more expensive.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Cleffy
    Wouldn't a single rail be pretty dangerous and pointless beyond 600w.  At 600w running the standard 170w for other rails, you are pumping 430w into 1-12v rail.  You only need it to pump 300w because of threshold caps on hardware and lines.  Not to mention the risk of over current.  The point of a single rails is in cost and simplicity to setup.  Multiple 12v rails is more ideal if you take the time to understand its layout and often they are fine without understanding it.
    The real threat is actual efficiency.  Some PSU manufacturers rate efficiency at 25C which gives inaccurate wattage in real world conditions.  PSU manufacturers that rate efficiency at a proper 45-50c are usually more expensive.

You have a good point about usefulness past 600W. I don't see it being a danger though. PC Power & Cooling has been pretty adamant about the advantages of single rail as well as most the PSU rating guides I've read.. http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83568

I do like having all the power available on one rail, so one or a series of power hungry components (Fermi?) will never shut down your PC and the PSU can deliver power where it's needed rather than having it locked up on underused rails.

I don't know that single rail is necessarily a cost saving measure. I remember reading that some cheaper PSU's use multi-rails to mask the inability of the PSU to deliver power. An example this might be the listed amperage of multi-rail PSU's being misleading.

For example the Xion's 4 rails are 18A, 18A, 20A, 22A. You would think there's 78A available between the 4 rails, but there's not, the max amperage available at once is only 60A.

Also I've noticed that all Corsair PSU's are single rail, and most the high quality companies we talk about put out primarily single rail.

The temperature the PSU was rated at is definitely very important. A PSU rated at 850W at 25C may only even do 400W at 40C, the output can drop off extremely fast as you approach real world temperatures. If the temp isn't listed it's usually been done at 25C and the wattage becomes a completely useless measure for purchasing.

The ability of the PSU to adapt to power draw changes and spikes is also a large cause of instability. But this capability isn't something that can be quantified for marketing which is why you have to rely on brand name a lot.

Yea i havnt ordered it yet..

As far as the 850w goes i used a power supply calculator..maybe i used it wrong.

How much of a power supply would i need for a 4850 and a i7 920 oced to around 3.2ghz?

Well if i can have a i7 920 oced to 3.2GHz. softmodded 4850 to firepro v8750 with a 550w i'll go with the 49.99 bfg tech power supply.  after what i read they say its a name brand along with corsair, and etc.

550w name brand is the minimum so i may need more so then i'll go with corsair 650w 89.99 79.99 with rebate, because its voted top of  2009 from pc mag

i also switched the foxconn to a asrock cause it is tomshardware recommended buy

and the cooler master hyper 212 plus cause it was rate 10/10 from maxium pc and its cheap

i chose the rosewill cause it's definitley cheap..and im looking for the biggest case i can find but is also cheap cause the cheapest atx full is what 79.99 and its smaller than the rosewill, my first choice nzxt, and the really cheap one that i decided not to buy because of cheap parts..so i landed on rose will cause it was 2 inches shorter in length, but the width was bigger so it was safer for a after market heatsink/fan

Rosewill R222-P-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Link Depot 3 Pin Fan Power Y Cable

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long 

IPCQUEEN IPC-12025 120mm Case Fan x 2 (1 to use as push and pull for heatsink, 1 for the front case fan)

Does this setup look better than before?

.:edit:.

if my dad thinks 954 is to expensive..then i'll probably take off the after market cooler, arctic silver 5 thermal compound, along with 2 120mm fans, and splitter

Even 450 watt would be much more than that computer ever gonna use. 

really so i can get a 450 or 550 if i wanted to?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

psu are never really expennsive!for graphic card you will want a card that support dx11

lowest cost dx11 are the ati 5670 if i recall 100$ quiet inexpensive and very capable

since these dx11 gcard are first generation i dont recommend goingto a high wnsd model since

all first gen card of x model always suck!

dx11 is so new these are first gen chip so 5670 is plenty

next year you can buy ati second generation of dx11

i will not be purchasing a dx11 card until later on..one thing the 5670's performance is lower than a 4850 as i hear.  Also the reason i am getting a 4850 is to softmod it to give better performances in maya, autocad, image rendering programs..there has not been any news that the new 5000 series have worked with the softmod, and they may have hardware locked it.  Only when i know i can afford a real workstation card, or i can mod the 5000 series i will get them.  Maybe as you said by the time the 2nd gen dx 11 cards come out there will be a softmod

.:edit:.

they ran out of the crucial memory..so i chose ocz gold 6gb instead

Originally posted by xKrNMBoYx

really so i can get a 450 or 550 if i wanted to?

Yes, like I said earlier in this thread, corsair vx 450 is good choice and doesn't hurt your wallet.

hrm.I hope your right, cause I will be overclocking, and I have heard that the cpu use more power supply resources when being overclocked

It sure does, but still very far from 450 watts.