Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If You Were To Choose Between FFXIV And Tera...

Comments

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494
    Terra will be an insane grind with shallow repetitious gameplay, but an action oriented combat system.  FFXIV will be a deep world with deep and engaging gameplay, but a much slower paced combat system.

I have done enough grinding in my lifetime, and I won't play another shallow grind wrapped up in pretty graphics so I would play FFXIV.  I hope Terra does well though.  A blend of Terra and FFXIV would be an awesome future for MMO's so hopefully they both do well.  I fear Terra will be instanced to all hell as well which is a huge turnoff for me.
  • 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

TERA for  PVP and better GAMEPLAY

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Between a well known company that released many great rpgs and will hopefully make a great almost fully pve mmorpg against a new company or not so popular that is going to release a pvp game which there's a rumor it was going to be lineage 3.

Hmm...

FFXIV ! :D

Been waiting for a fully PVE game for ages FFXI is low on populatio now else I would play that but very few people around =/

I may try tera and hope there will be some way to not pvp all the time just when I want aka pve servers or something like that would be great.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

the main and brutal diference between those two is that FFIV is pve Only but damn good at it while TERA will have pvp (with the non targeting makes it interesting at least to try for few months) and some good PVE for the same mecanics reason as pvp.

So im gonna sub to TERA, if it´s well done.

and i don´t like FF anyways =p

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Kaliber13Kaliber13 Member Posts: 39

I dont know why you guys started thinking that TERA will be all pvp and FF14 will be all about pve. In both cases you are wrong. Tera looks to have some challenging monsters for pve and ff14 will most likely have some form of pvp like ff11 had. We dont know enough about either to say they are focused on pvp or pve. Also ignore the fools that say "Terra will be an insane grind with shallow repetitious gameplay" AKA ProfRed. Who is probably checking if he baited anyone yet.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

I'd choose w/e is the better game overall. I may even play both, who knows.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• RPGOmenRPGOmen Member Posts: 38

Too many things are unknown about both games.

The most interested comment that I remember comes from FFXIV with a project director saying that it will have a combat system that no other game has and that a clue to it is on the cover of the game.

On the cover that was shown there was a character in front with two character shadows behind it, and in some gameplay videos we see a transition between different characters without switching screens.

With that one could guess that you will be able to control three or more characters at once in the game, which will take up any downtime that came with FFXI's battlesystem if they are similar.  A lot fo managing to keep your characters alive and have someone constantly attacking or healing while switching back and forth.

Though, with Tera I appreciate the size of the cities they've shown thus far as well as adding story into their trailers.

Who knows?

Hopefully they both do well.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

I haven't testing either game but I am interested in both.  If I were to choose based on videos and my assumptions...I would pick Tera.  We all know assumptions are the mother of all fups though.

I have heard on numerous occasions that FF14 will have very small if any pvp and that there focus is gameplay and pve.  Don't quote me on that, just saying what I heard.  Tera has also stated to be heavily pvp focused in numerous occasions, which I've actually read and seen.  Apples and oranges it seems.

I hope they both do well.  God knows we need some fresh blood in this stale genre as of late.

• MuffinatorMuffinator Member Posts: 4

This is the way I see it..

People who play FFonline are in it because they like the console feel of the game, and lets them immerse themselves into FF's lore which is prolly well thought out since we are talking about FF.  Yet when it comes to TERA, we're talking about skill sets that console players aren't used to - it's a skill set that requires massive amount of hand-eye coordination that after years becomes secound nature..  MMOs like WOW, and TERA, require the player to be aware of everything they are doing...  You can simply see the vast difference in awareness required from a WOW player by watching an Agalon video and then comparing to any FF raid trying to down a GOD. 

To me, i can't handle being that idle player that FFonline asks - if i had the money, i could personally run my own raid in FFonline because it wouldn't really require me to dodge fires, laser beams, zoning into another plane, clicking on a node, etc during instense fights.   FFonline is DOOM, while TERA is Counter-strike.. checkers vs chess.

Originally posted by Muffinator

This is the way I see it..
    People who play FFonline are in it because they like the console feel of the game, and lets them immerse themselves into FF's lore which is prolly well thought out since we are talking about FF.  Yet when it comes to TERA, we're talking about skill sets that console players aren't used to - it's a skill set that requires massive amount of hand-eye coordination that after years becomes secound nature..  MMOs like WOW, and TERA, require the player to be aware of everything they are doing...  You can simply see the vast difference in awareness required from a WOW player by watching an Agalon video and then comparing to any FF raid trying to down a GOD. 
    To me, i can't handle being that idle player that FFonline asks - if i had the money, i could personally run my own raid in FFonline because it wouldn't really require me to dodge fires, laser beams, zoning into another plane, clicking on a node, etc during instense fights.   FFonline is DOOM, while TERA is Counter-strike.. checkers vs chess.

LMFAO!!!!! Dude! Are you on crack?! You better edit this before everyone tells you that you dont know jack shiet about TERA. Look, the only thing that tera and wow have in common is that they are both mmorpg's. It ends at that. Read the TERA forums a bit more and get rid of your ridiculous post. Maybe your just tryin to be funny if so then... lol

EDIT* Well i guess you just came in to make a joke since its your only post...

• SerulithSerulith Member Posts: 92

I have played many PvP MMOs in the past and i need a change from that, so i would choose FFXIV over TERA any day. Plus from experience, i say PvP games dont have that long lasting appeal that good PvE MMOs have.

Im sure TERA will be good but comparing these 2 MMOs as a whole is rather stupid. They are nothing alike. Both will have their ups and downs.

Originally posted by Kaliber13

LMFAO!!!!! Dude! Are you on crack?! You better edit this before everyone tells you that you dont know jack shiet about TERA. Look, the only thing that tera and wow have in common is that they are both mmorpg's. It ends at that. Read the TERA forums a bit more and get rid of your ridiculous post. Maybe your just tryin to be funny if so then... lol EDIT* Well i guess you just came in to make a joke since its your only post...

Being a part of the FGT I think i know what I'm talking about. I'm not saying Tera is a complete Mirror of WoW, but there are similarities that stand out, and freedom of movement is one of them. That was the basis of what I was refering to - In FFonline there isn't anything that require the player to utilize their twitch reflexes, and adapt to new boss mechanics - in wow terms, "simple tank'n sPank" for people w/ down syndrome.

So for those that actually welcome challenging encounters, Tera will be their game of choice; and PvP also a huge incentive since it's got it's own niche crowd.

• Krn_AssassinKrn_Assassin Member Posts: 581
    Originally posted by bronecar

I for one am waiting for both and I'll be able to purchase/sub just for one of them.
    Surely, not all of you are interested in both. But what about those who are?
    What would your pick be and why? :)

I'm trying both and playing whichever comes first. I doubt FFXIV will keep me long without a big emphasis on pvp and no jumping with slow combat.

Tera is the complete opposite and has pve as well so Tera will likely be better.

• MollowMollow Member Posts: 66

Being a huge Final Fantasy fan Im eagerly waiting for FFXIV :) But TERA looks promising so far and very interesting, so I will try out TERA as first priority. If it will be a total letdown, I'll find myself in FFXIV.

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Im definitly gettin TERA. Im not even gonna play any other mmo until it comes out. Unless, dragon nest comes out sooner. The point is to forget about old school point n click mmo's like FF14, and enjoy some action in TERA. No targeting just run up in that biotch n start swingin my weapon(s). Plus its got giant lizards and bad-ass lookin demons and some "Immovable Tower" looking descendants of giants,  some crazy lil raccons runnin round in a forest. Prolly gonna be an Aman Warrior. Named Aumon... get your own name, ive already been compromised once...

FF14 is not point and click. TERA is hack n' slash, it will get old fast. It's not 'new school' or whatever, it's just boring, which is why noone else uses it. I'll play D3  when it comes out to get my hack n' slash fix.

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

FF for sure.  Why do so many trust in this new company that just sprung up?  At least we know SE is a well known quality company.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I'll be watching both, but with the crap going on about the lawsuit, Tera's long-term livlihood might be questionable even thought its "to Be Released as Planned".

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

TERA - because hack'n'slash "action" MMOs always work out, right? Always, of Course (AoC)...

While neither interest me at this point, if I did try one, it'd be FFXIV.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

FF14 for sure.

Tera looks nice, but I won't ever play a PvP focused MMORPG again... between the usually bad play system design choices, imbalanced classes, and the cheating players (hacks etc) every one I have tried has been terrible.

I want to play a MMORPG for PvE co-op fun, and a FPS game for PvP madness from now on. It works out better that way imo.

The only thing BHS stats about general game play was to promote grouping/parties, weather or not this will take away from soloability; such info hasn't been released yet.  where people get the idea that's it's going to be PvP oriented, is beyond me - because it has PvP vise FFXIV doesn't doesn't mean it's going to be pure PvP.  sounds more like an excuse for FFonline players to carebear.

Another thing that gets me is lack of skill when it comes to PvE in FFonline - it's non existent.  the end game is no different from killing the last boss of any other rpg on console..  sorry i play games for the entertainment factor - not to put me to sleep.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Muffinator

The only thing BHS stats about general game play was to promote grouping/parties, weather or not this will take away from soloability; such info hasn't been released yet.  where people get the idea that's it's going to be PvP oriented, is beyond me - because it has PvP vise FFXIV doesn't doesn't mean it's going to be pure PvP.  sounds more like an excuse for FFonline players to carebear.

Another thing that gets me is lack of skill when it comes to PvE in FFonline - it's non existent.  the end game is no different from killing the last boss of any other rpg on console..  sorry i play games for the entertainment factor - not to put me to sleep.

Well, not to derail this thread...

1) Most PvP games dont take any more or less skill then PvE ones.

2) If I want to PvP I will do it in a FPS game. MMORPG PvPers are wannabe FPS players without the skills and that like to hide character builds imo.

3) Most PvPers talk all day about how 'hardcore' they are, and then proceed to exploit, macro, hack (cheat) their way to every possible advantage they can find to make the game easier for themselves (hypocrites).

4) One man's fun isnt another mans, what each person finds entertaining is his own business. Some people prefer co-op social gameplay to zerging/ ganking any player with less time invested into their characters as a form of self therapy.

5) Every PvP game I ave ever played in has had a terrible community of asshats, which as an adult I find tiresome to interact with.

6) FF14 isnt FF11, so prolly best to not make judgements too soon. We can onl go off gut feelings right now.

Honestly though, aside from all this, I hope both games do very well. The market is big enough to support both and diversity is good.

• whichever one can use direct x 9.0c and if they both can use direct 9.0c then whichever one comes out first in North America.

Originally posted by Gemma

Im definitly gettin TERA. Im not even gonna play any other mmo until it comes out. Unless, dragon nest comes out sooner. The point is to forget about old school point n click mmo's like FF14, and enjoy some action in TERA. No targeting just run up in that biotch n start swingin my weapon(s). Plus its got giant lizards and bad-ass lookin demons and some "Immovable Tower" looking descendants of giants,  some crazy lil raccons runnin round in a forest. Prolly gonna be an Aman Warrior. Named Aumon... get your own name, ive already been compromised once...

FF14 is not point and click. TERA is hack n' slash, it will get old fast. It's not 'new school' or whatever, it's just boring, which is why noone else uses it. I'll play D3  when it comes out to get my hack n' slash fix.

I dont mean to be an ass cuz i c that u think ur on top of yo shiet, but your wrong man. ff14 is gonna be point n click style. like wow aion aoc blah blah blah. It is the NEW SCHOOL of mmo. plenty of new mmo's are soming out with action style combat systems instead of the same shiet we been stuck with for the past couple of years. So go have fun playin diablo 3 which is also point n click not hack n slash fool. Ill be havin a good time in TERA without you.

• ChexxChexx Member Posts: 41

Tera is a hack n slash the whole game will be mostly PVP focused not PVE like XIV.   That being stated you cannot compare a PVE to a PVP.  PVE focuses on a group oriented gameplay, in XIV case the gameplay will be slower unlike tera but i dont mind it I would rather take my time in battle and see how the fight starts evolving and change strategy in mid battle to save the battle and my ass. Tera on the other hand will be a smash the button so you can kill the monster asap. 

The main diffrence between them is simple.

XIV -> PVE -> Group mostly -> strategy ->  Slower  battles

TERA -> PVP -> Solo mostly -> Action -> Smash the button to spam attacks (strategy minimum)

That being said if you like PVE go to XIV if PVP is your strong point then go to TERA.  It is almost imposiblle to have PVP and PVE in a single game without effecting the overall gameplay. I bet they will both be good games just depends if you like to group quest alot or like to solo quest and fight other players in the game for the top position. 

Only way to be the best in PVE is to have the best gear, spells and strategy (skill) against AI Enemy (possible minor PVP  later on). PVP is similar but best gear, spells and strategy but not against the monster but a fellow player to show off your skills.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Chexx

Tera is a hack n slash the whole game will be mostly PVP focused not PVE like XIV.   That being stated you cannot compare a PVE to a PVP.  PVE focuses on a group oriented gameplay, in XIV case the gameplay will be slower unlike tera but i dont mind it I would rather take my time in battle and see how the fight starts evolving and change strategy in mid battle to save the battle and my ass. Tera on the other hand will be a smash the button so you can kill the monster asap. 

The main diffrence between them is simple.
    XIV -> PVE -> Group mostly -> strategy ->  Slower  battles
    TERA -> PVP -> Solo mostly -> Action -> Smash the button to spam attacks (strategy minimum)

That being said if you like PVE go to XIV if PVP is your strong point then go to TERA.  It is almost imposiblle to have PVP and PVE in a single game without effecting the overall gameplay. I bet they will both be good games just depends if you like to group quest alot or like to solo quest and fight other players in the game for the top position. 
    Only way to be the best in PVE is to have the best gear, spells and strategy (skill) against AI Enemy (possible minor PVP  later on). PVP is similar but best gear, spells and strategy but not against the monster but a fellow player to show off your skills.

FFXIV will most likely be superior in just about every way. Then again the whole grinding mobs to level won't sit well with western audiences. Just look at aion.