Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you change?

GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I was just wondering, if you could what would you add, remove or change in the game? Me I would make it so you can craft inside your home, and maybe vendors at your home like UO.

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

2 feature:

1 direct x 11

2  64 bit

3 optional (since this one is way more involved ). microsoft donnybrooks

with those the game would be equipped for elm deep epic pvpve fight when that part of the game is released

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174

I'd like to see hitboxes, so you can't pass through other players or enemies.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    • Remove impassable hills around zones, and make a smoother transitions, between them.
    • Remove item level requirements, and add permanent item durability losses.
    • Much more decrease the power differences between levels.
    • Add more traits, virtues.
    • Remove legendary items and their progression.
    • Remove gated content requirements based on previously completed or obtained certain amount of reputation/items.
    • Remove radiance
    • Remove most of the fast travel routes
    • Remove skirmishes
    • Add player vendors to towns and hubs instead of auction hall.

So much for the beginning. Actually, most of the things that came up in my mind, were about removal of already existing features.

REALITY CHECK

Oh how could I forgot.

• Remove goats as mounts, and rune-keepers completely.

REALITY CHECK

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I would put a bank/vault, crafting hall and auction house right next to each other in each major town.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Thillian

Oh how could I forgot.

Remove goats as mounts, and rune-keepers completely.

Do Rune-Keepers fit in the Lord of The Rings lore?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Remove impassable hills around zones, and make a smoother transitions, between them.
    Remove item level requirements, and add permanent item durability losses.
    Much more decrease the power differences between levels.
    Add more traits, virtues.
    Remove legendary items and their progression.
    Remove gated content requirements based on previously completed or obtained certain amount of reputation/items.
    Remove radiance
    Remove most of the fast travel routes
    Remove skirmishes
    Add player vendors to towns and hubs instead of auction hall.

So much for the beginning. Actually, most of the things that came up in my mind, were about removal of already existing features.

Pretty much all of this and Thillian's other suggestion:

Oh how could I forgot.

•Remove goats as mounts, and rune-keepers completely.

Also reinstate the original Old Forest. More danger in the countryside, less mobs every 20 feet.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Improve skills animation, character and armor visuals and add the enemy race as playable and that would make them in conflict like in the lore.

• LexiscatLexiscat Member Posts: 204

Evil playable races, but not monster play.

Would be awesome to play as Troll, Orc, Goblin, or Evil Human...  Trolls and Halfings existed as playable races in EQ, why not lotro?

“Nothing excites jaded Grandmasters more than a theoretical novelty”

• jamesingejamesinge Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Lexiscat

Would be awesome to play as Troll, Orc, Goblin, or Evil Human...  Trolls and Halfings existed as playable races in EQ, why not lotro?

Pretty sure Turbine has strict license agreement with Tolkien estate and EQ did not. While I completely agree that it is the one feature that could or would most likely push this game over the top to do battle with the big dog there has to be some reasoning behind why it was not done and that is all I can guess. This would also be my suggestion , to make an evil faction side similar to another game on the market today.

I would also continue to make the low level game fun for new players and not introduce them to the ultimate grinds Turine seems fond of until later down the road. I would remove the starter horse and allow everyone the fast mount at 20. I would continue to revamp old zones to make passing through them much easier if limited by time or other players available. They have done a wonderful job with the zones they have done so far and that is a heck of a lot more than the other game on the market has done to date. Overall I feel it is a very very friendly game to new players and for the life of me cant understand how it is not much much more popular. The only reason I can pin down would be the lack of true PVP or opposing factions.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by Lexiscat

Yep. in-game, with full pve. Orcs, goblins, Haradrim. And some zones with open world pvp in addition to the pve.

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Scrap the whole thing and restart from the ground up making it open ended and not such a theme park, maybe a little something along the lines of an Elder Scrolls type experience, but in an MMO.

They should have set it in a time frame before the War of the Ring.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Evil races are not going to happen because Tolkien says so. Unless they change their minds, but even Turbine suggesting Monster Play was pushing it.

I would improve overall combat animations. While some animations, like the non-static faces, crafting, and instrument playing, are fluid and well done, some of the combat and ambient ones could use work. It seems kind of clunky; a few buffer animations between running, auto-attacking, using a skill, jumping/landing, and running/walking could improve the overall fluidity by a ton. They have the basics, they just need the fluff in-between. I only say mention this because running and fighting are generally what you're doing most of the time when you play the game. Also, some varied death animations and monster skins would be wonderful. Does every Blackwold Striker have to be a raggedy female with ugly hair? (Yes, I just got out of Archet...)

Speaking of aesthetics, I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't really have a problem with the character models. Cartoony? A little bit. But they're not so disproportionate (*cough* DRAENEI *cough*) that it's ridiculous. Males' waists seem to shrink in a bit too much, and that's the main thing I would adjust. I think the models only seem bad because the running animation could use some work. They look pretty cartoony when they run. Well, now that I think about it, Dwarves could use some work, too. WAR managed to get some things right, and one of them was their Dwarves. In LotRO, their bubbly, bouncy butt distracts me every time I run on my Runekeeper. Bah...

I thought about making a comment about morale and how it seems to run out far too quickly and regenerate far too slowly, but my opinions right now are based on a handful of classes and I haven't experienced the game all that much yet. So I'll wait to make any comments. Let's just say that I've already died twice in Chetwood, and it's kind of a refreshing experience to have mobs gang up on me and shoot me full of arrows.

Lastly, I'd adjust some of the noob armor. It's great that you can dye it, but the default leather color is a sickly, pale yellow and none of the starting armor seems to match, unless you buy it all from a vendor. It's just a minor gripe.

As you can see, all the problems I have with it (at this point) are aesthetic, and from what I've seen and read, it seems that way for most people. Of course, once I get to a higher level, I can comment on such fun and interesting topics as Skirmishes, raiding, and this "Radiance" thing I keep hearing about...

Edit: I read this thread, and I see a lot of "MAKE LoTRO A SANDBOX (ish) GAME!" All I can say is:

Not gonna happen, sorry.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Remove impassable hills around zones, and make a smoother transitions, between them.
    Remove gated content requirements based on previously completed or obtained certain amount of reputation/items.
    Remove radiance
    Remove skirmishes

Pretty much all of this and Thillian's other suggestion:

Oh how could I forgot.

•Remove goats as mounts, and rune-keepers completely.

Also reinstate the original Old Forest. More danger in the countryside, less mobs every 20 feet.

Oh yes changes to the mob placement is a good one.

Some time ago, they said they put a single mob every 5 metres with basically no behavior, to increase tension and the feel of threat for the players traveling around. Instead of making orc camps in logical places, with maybe random and unexpected patrols (to increase that feel of danger), they decided it's much more "fun" to have a static mob placement every 5 metres in the whole Angmar, Moria...(basically Forochel is the only place I can think of with some spots free of this ridiculous mob placement) 

Everytime you try to get somewhere, you need to constantly keep fightning the mobs, because they dismount you easily.

But then, they added 3 fast (instant) travel camps in Angmar. How much that increased the feel of danger?

REALITY CHECK

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

The only thing I really think LotrO needs is better grouping mechanics. Why is there no mentoring/sidekick system after almost 3 years? They need to improve the LFG window alot and add more reasons for people to group whne leveling.

Also they need to improve housing ALOT and make it more usefull and social, now its very unsocial.

Other than that, I dont have any major complains about the game and think its moving in the right direction.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• Jellyf1shJellyf1sh Member Posts: 40

I'm a great believer that everything in game that doesn't form part of the main questing experience should have some tangible benefit or purpose that can be reflected in the main game. Skirmishes do that wonderfully, with the ability to purchase useful items with your hard earned (or exploited) skirmish marks.

In my experience, there are some areas that fail to offer a proportional reward for your time sunk into them:

Housing - I think they should be a visual representation of your progress through Middle Earth, almost like your own personal Bag End. They need far more furniture/item slots, and more freedom to place them, so that you can accommodate all of the trinkets and souvenirs that should be available throughout the game. How about the ability to turn screen shots into paintings that can hang on the wall (minus the interface of course). I'm also a bit of a completionist and it annoys me that even if i were to invest a lot of time into fishing, i would not be able to display all of my fishing trophies, and speaking of fishing....

Hobbies - We need a complete overhall of fishing. Not the mechanics of it, but again, more tangible rewards, better than a fish trophy (that you won't have enough room to display in your house anyway) or a few fish to cook with. How about the chance to pull up something random and useful from the murky depths (it worked for Smeagol!). The only time fishing works is during the festivals and only because there is a goal and purpose to it. Let's also have some new hobbies, maybe something like animal trapping (all those critters running around have got to be useful for something - It could be like Pokemon - Gotta catch 'em all!!). And speaking of critters....

Critter Play - I'll admit it was kind of fun to be a chicken for about 10 minutes, but the amount of time you'd need to invest to complete that questline is just crazy (all to get a snazzy cloak with a chicken on it). If they can make the rewards fit the time investment, i'd gladly sink my time into other critters plays as well, (wasn't there talk of being a rat in Moria? or maybe i just dreamt it!).

I'm not against time sinks in MMOs, but there must be a proportional reward at the end of it.

• shepx22shepx22 Member Posts: 133

The main thing I would change:

There subscription setup. This is the only game that wont take my CC to subscribe to the game. I bought the game using the card from them, but then to Sub monthly, nope. Yet it works for all my other MMOs I used. So LOTRO got bought to never having a chance by me due to there subscription mechanics/error.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Few things I would change or better yet ADD:

1. An LFF system to rival all LFG systems.
    2. A kinship system much like EQ2s or the upcoming WoW guild content.
    3. More Hobbies!
    5. Housing more like SWG or EQ2 than the current very limited hook system.
    6. More classes, deeds, traits, and maybe even some type of achievement system tied into those. I like to collect mounts in my games, so reward me with achievement points and such, or titles.
    7. Epic books should all be "optionally" soloable, so that I may see the great storyline that keeps pulling me back to the game.
    8. A currency system, much like WoW's, that helps free up our inventory of all those barter and reputation items.
    9. Give our LI's more soul and less number crunching. More like the way our soldiers have traits in skirmishes.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the immediate things I would like to see.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

2 feature:
    1 direct x 11
    2 microsoft donnybrook
    with those the game would be equipped for elm deep epic pvpve fight when that part of the game is released

DirectX 11 will be available for LOTRO soon.  Search the LOTRO forums. 

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

Inexpensive housing like EQ2.

• blackhawk432blackhawk432 Member UncommonPosts: 138

Or, we could change everything and go back to MEO?

Anyway, I would most like to see more content pushing people in to grouping. I could never find a damn group.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I am only lvl 20 so i cant talk about too many thinings but the combat is way to easy and takes away from the suspense of the game , I can defeat 4 or 5 npc without trouble that is just tooo easy, I seem to remember that right after the game went live ( I playedd for 2 months) it was much harder , what happened?

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

More dangerous areas as you level such as the old Old Forest. More challenge overall. Tired of fallen asleep at my keyboard as I level and finding I still gained two levels with my head on my keyboard. :P

Being able to setup shop at your house. No AH other then to find items sold by players at their shops. Better placement of items in house and more of it. Think SWG.

A crafting system that rules all. Decay! All drops in game are resources that focus on crafting. Again think SWG.

A open world! Not this funnel based on level. sigh

Being able to play the bad guys though much weaker then the good guys other then areas marked under the shadow.  The farther away they get from those areas the weaker they become. Would be for a great challenge for those that want to play it.

I could go on dreaming but it only makes me cry. :(

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Remove radiance
    Remove skirmishes

Pretty much everything above as well as the biggest one....Remove Turbine lol. Middle Earth could have been so much more. Its a shame we'll likely never see another company give it LOTR another go...

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• PagoasPagoas Member UncommonPosts: 120

i haven't really played much since they re-vamped the bree, bree-land, and the lone lands, but here's my 2 bits:

1) inventory space... inventory management has improved some since the beginning, but it is still despised second job;

2) fellowship quests that scale in difficulty to the size of your group... for those of us who have limited time online and/or only like to duo or trio with our friends... (or even solo when we're in the mood for a little self-loving);

3) alternative pathways to the multi-party raids and high-end environments and rewards for those of us who play casually and don't have the time and/or inclination to endure the burden of a huge guild.