Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subbing?

Is it worth it is basically my question. I'm so burnt out on wow and most of the other newer ones out. Nothing caught my eye, but this looks interesting. I know it doesnt have a huge player base anymore, but i really just want to find a game i can explore a giant open world and solo if needed, have some fun,  join an active guild ( i know theres some out there) that actually does stuff together.

Any suggestions on this game?

Wildstar:
Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

Comments

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

i thought they were yanking the servers to this for some reason i wanna think i remeber reading something about that

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Vanguard is an old-school complex MMORPG. The world is huge, and there is a lot of stuff to do. There are still active guilds, and enough players to get groups and have fun. VG is open-ended, meaning no walls around zones, you can run all day long until you get killed LOL

VG also has very few instances; even when you go into a building, youi can look out of the open door and see outside.

Probably the most intimidating thing about VG is the vastness of the world, it makes the people very spread out and it seems emptier than it is.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123

well i love open world seamless mmo's where i can do what i want when i want... i just want to make sure theres still enough life left in this to be worth my time and money. while i dont mind soloing and exploring by myself, i do want there to be ppl to chat to (guilds) and things to do with people when the need and want arises.

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Actually, isn't the world really empty.  I mean, aren't they releasing fewer updates and actually thinking of server merging....is this the second server merge?   

Source...

www.tentonhammer.com/node/78454

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by sanitysend

Is it worth it is basically my question. I'm so burnt out on wow and most of the other newer ones out. Nothing caught my eye, but this looks interesting. I know it doesnt have a huge player base anymore, but i really just want to find a game i can explore a giant open world and solo if needed, have some fun,  join an active guild ( i know theres some out there) that actually does stuff together.

Vanguard has a huge open world.  You can solo if needed and definetly have fun.  You can join a guild that is active.

Most people in this game have characters at many levels, meaning they could go on different alts to play along side your newly developed char.  In addition, new people do in fact start playing every day.  Chances are if you're social enough you can find a few people to enjoy the game with.  Population is very low, but it also helps keep the people you'd rather not play with away from you.

This game is worth the 15 bucks for a month just to explore and adventure it's huge world.  I payed for 2 months or so and had fun while it lasted a while ago.

• kaa0sl0vekaa0sl0ve Member Posts: 30

SOE has already started pulling the plug on this game

Additional content has been shelved due to SOE's cut backs on this games support

Don't invest your time in this game its just a pointless waste of time from this point on

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702
    Originally posted by kaa0sl0ve

Additional content has been shelved due to SOE's cut backs on this games support
    Don't invest your time in this game its just a pointless waste of time from this point on

I must say that if you have the chance to try this unpolished gem try it before they pull the plug. You will only regret the things you never did is a old saying right :)

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

May as well ;)

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

Some content has been shelved, other content is being added.  There has been an uproar of late because some of the high-end raid oriented content has been shelved.  The content being added is more 6 person group oriented.   I have been playing for almost 3 years now and I am still enjoying the game.

Originally posted by morpin

Some content has been shelved, other content is being added.  There has been an uproar of late because some of the high-end raid oriented content has been shelved.  The content being added is more 6 person group oriented.   I have been playing for almost 3 years now and I am still enjoying the game.

Let me clarify why this game has NO future

Pantheon of the Ancients is a 6 man dungeon that requires enormous grinding which involves, to date:

buggy trials - Tier 1 and 2 trials when completed will not give credit and the GMs will not flag ( give you credit ) for completion of said trial this is STILL UNFIXED

faction grind - 28, 000 faction to complete Tier 2 faction then you need 28, 000 faction to finish Tier 3 faction ( this caused an uproar in the community which led the developers *recently* this december to increase the faction gains by 3 times )

myself that has almost finished tier 3 Pantheon of the Ancients faction / silvers ( components for armor ) / echo's ( resources ) grind before I quit ( 6,000 Tier 3 faction to go )

I was NOT looking forward to grinding faction, slivers, and echo's but many players did because Silius ( lead developer of Vanguard ) said that you need to finish Pantheon of the Ancients to be able to go into the upcoming raid area Halls of Shattered Souls

Yet Halls of Shattered Souls was shelved INDEFINITELY alongside with Stiirhaad, Pankhor Zii, and Alternate Advancement

why make the player community GRIND for something that the development team has NO plans of finishing even though the announcement was official that the timetable for Halls of Shattered Souls was due in 6 to 8 months?

*the announcement for Halls of Shattered Souls, was in a video interview done with Silius himself after HOSS, Alternate Advancement, Stiirhaad, and Panhkor Zii was up next for the 2nd Tier epic weapons*

Morpin wrote "some content has been shelved", "other content is being added", "high end-raid content has been shelved", "6 man encounters are being added"

"some content has been shelved" let me elaborate on that, content has been shelved in favour of fixing bugs so they do not compound whenever a patch is introduced this is the exact words of Silius current lead developer of Vanguard

The developers are incapable of fixing bugs that have been in game since these so called bugs have been introduced in the game what are these bugs that have been around for a long time?

a. Z - Axis bug - whenever a player is levitated he can drop npc agro ( leash is the term we in VG use ) by running on mid air for a few seconds a by finding a slope or a small hill this can be achieved.

Silius himself made an official statement that this bug would be fixed before the year 09 ends yet we are already at January of 2010 further strengthening my point that the developers are incapable of fixing bugs

b. Flying Speed Bug - this has been in existence since flying mounts we're first introduced and HAS never ever been resolved to this date, this bug has changed into numerous phases but it remains un resolved to this day

type 1 flying mount bug was whenever you would chunk ( move to another zone / area ) your flying mount would dissappear and you would fall out of the sky and eventually end up dead

*the developers half @ssed fix was to give players a parachute so they would not fall to their death but what they neglected due to their incompetence is that WHERE you are landing could be an NPC hot spot ( NPC's waiting below to attack you ) especially in high level areas like Kamelott Landing*

type 2 flying mount bug was whenever you would chunk your mount would loose Air Speed reducing it to the speed of a land mount ( horse ) the work around is to land your mount if you are close to the ground and fly up again OR un summon your mount and summon it again before you plummet to your death

*this bug has NOT been fixed it has been MONTHS and its still like this*

c. Stairs Bug - you can get stuck in the stairs when going up and the way around it is to move side to side or try to hop over the bugged staircase area

*why is this significant? new players running away from NPC's get stuck in the stairs and get killed*

this bug has never been and will ever be fixed due to the fact that Silius himself stated that the current Vanguard Development Team has no graphics programmer to resolve this issue.

d. Locked OUT of a Raid Encounter - a player cannot attack a raid target because he is bugged ( locked - out, even though said player has not killed certain raid encounter so his lock out timer is open )

*still un fixed bug to date and this is very game breaking when a raid of 24 players are relying on each and every individual to function and do their assigned jobs whenever one or more player is locked out this will most likely wipe the entire raid, thus wasting TIME running around for tombstones and civic diplo buffs and setting up again to attempt the encounter*

There is soo much more bugs, quests in KDQ not giving credit, raid encounters resetting, pantheon encounters which are broken as of today, graphical bugs, performance bugs like crashing and memorly leaks, soo much more I do not care to elaborate

LIKE I said this game has NO Future the current development team is incapable of fixing the said bugs I have mentioned if they were they would have been fixed a LONG TIME AGO

BUT NO they are still present as of today

So when the development team says they are *fixing bugs*, *more Quality Assurance* that is bull$hit they just patched recently and it was on test a for less than a day before pushing it to live

Vanguard's QA is very bad they don't do any significant testing at all, go and log in the test sever there is virtually NO ONE there at all times on other games you would have several testers testing patched content on Vanguard its virtually deserted

DO NOT SUB DESPITE WHAT THE IDIOTS HERE ARE SAYING ITS A POINTLESS WASTE OF TIME THE GAME IS GOING NOWHERE

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

Every game out there has bugs that go unfixed, even for years. It is part of how mmo's are designed. Vanguard is obviously a grind orientated game. If you cannot handle the grind, go find a themepark mmo instead.

I myself decided to give this game another try last night. I deleted all of my old toons and started fresh. I have all settings maxed out and maintain a 50ish fps, which is fine enough to me. I still see the hitching a little when crossing chunks but it is no worse than zoning in any other game.

The pretty factor in vanguard is what captures my attention the most i think. It has the feel of a real planet, real environments.

As much as i hate John Smedly and what he and SoE have done to the mmo genre, i am going to resub but only to vanguard. Originally i thought i would do station pass so i could screw around in eq1 as well, but i thought i would just concentrate on the one game and enjoy and see much more of the world.

It seems that vanguard has some of the most hardcore haters under the sun. It is a shame. The wall of text guy above me obviously played the heck out of it, and i think he probably liked it, but he let uncertainty rule his decision making.

Sure, they have shelved some things, but there is always the chance that they will come back. I don't think that Vanguard will sink any time soon.

Hopefully more people give the game an honest try and start to fill the population up a bit.

Originally posted by Kungaloosh1

Every game out there has bugs that go unfixed, even for years. It is part of how mmo's are designed. Vanguard is obviously a grind orientated game. If you cannot handle the grind, go find a themepark mmo instead.

I myself decided to give this game another try last night. I deleted all of my old toons and started fresh. I have all settings maxed out and maintain a 50ish fps, which is fine enough to me. I still see the hitching a little when crossing chunks but it is no worse than zoning in any other game.
    The pretty factor in vanguard is what captures my attention the most i think. It has the feel of a real planet, real environments.
    As much as i hate John Smedly and what he and SoE have done to the mmo genre, i am going to resub but only to vanguard. Originally i thought i would do station pass so i could screw around in eq1 as well, but i thought i would just concentrate on the one game and enjoy and see much more of the world.
    It seems that vanguard has some of the most hardcore haters under the sun. It is a shame. The wall of text guy above me obviously played the heck out of it, and i think he probably liked it, but he let uncertainty rule his decision making.
    Sure, they have shelved some things, but there is always the chance that they will come back. I don't think that Vanguard will sink any time soon.
    Hopefully more people give the game an honest try and start to fill the population up a bit.

Play the game don't post bull$shit here claiming that I can't do the Pantheon grind because I was almost done 6, 000 more tier 3 faction to go and I was ready for the next step

Instead of posting mis-information to players post the facts yes it is true when you say every game has bugs but it doesnt go un fixed for years and it's certainly not as many as vanguard

And what would you know about Vanguard anyways? You're an alt a holic troll who roams around exploring and don't even do any worthwhile $hit to see how bugged the game really is

I played the game in all aspects soloing, grouping, end game raiding where is your experience in Vanguard?

Running around exploring saying the game is not hitching is pure and utter bull$hit

stop spreading lies about Vanguard you dip$hit I will slam you alt a holics down so hard your credibility will be smashed

Bottom line is do not listen to Kungaloosh1 he's NOT a credible source of information on Vanguard he doesnt even play the game to see how massively bugged, performance broken it is and it goes UN FIXED to date.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

I have played the game for 3 years and have solo'd, grouped and end-raided.  I have also crafted and done diplomacy.  I have to agree the the other poster.  The game is not MASSIVELY bugged and performance is pretty good.

It really sounds like you are pissed off becuase you did all that grinding in Pantheon with the expectation it would lead to the next set of high level end-game content.  Now they have shelved that content and you feel cheated.  Well... I cant blame you for being mad.  But slamming the game and other posters that enjoy the game is not going to solve anything.

Originally posted by morpin

I have played the game for 3 years and have solo'd, grouped and end-raided.  I have also crafted and done diplomacy.  I have to agree the the other poster.  The game is not MASSIVELY bugged and performance is pretty good.
    It really sounds like you are pissed off becuase you did all that grinding in Pantheon with the expectation it would lead to the next set of high level end-game content.  Now they have shelved that content and you feel cheated.  Well... I cant blame you for being mad.  But slamming the game and other posters that enjoy the game is not going to solve anything.

and I qoute you "this game is not massively bugged"

you have played for 3 years yet you hide the fact that the game is severely bugged and performance is pretty bad Sacred Heaven guild have you even progressed beyond APW?

it seems to me you havent really done any significant progression past APW to see how bugged / broken the game is

have you done Kamelott Landing (KDQ)

have you seen how bad performance ( frames per second ) gets inside certain areas of APW? and outside of APW?

while my guild on Seradon Concilio Erus we have cleared apw, fengrot, varking, nimaa, slim jim, guar, nenly, physik, rinnipin, jagund, dresla, prime warden, nerksawl

currently missing: yerkj, sparkles, karax

our guild was first to kill nimaa legitimately on Seradon sever just 3 weeks after Veracity did him in when we push for a raid mob we accomplish it before most of us retired we were working on Karax

so when I talk about bugs I tell it like it is, I do not sugar coat it like *work around it* bull$hit

where is my proof? and please feel free dispute what I am saying if it is not true I will retract my posts

stairs bug player gets stuck when running up on a staircase, this has been going on since launch Silius himself said they have no graphics programmer which I do believe since SOE did fire Ryan Elam, Vanguards graphic programmer and thus will never be fixed

z - axis bug run with levitate in mid air for a few seconds and leash land npc's even raid encounters ( leash: drop agro )

rain bug this has been in existence since the game launch where players using windows vista cannot see the rain

kamelott daily quests not giving credit bug KDQ quest not giving credit even though you killed certain named NPC

pantheon tier 1 trials bug where a player would not get credit even though said player has successfully completed the trial ahead of time

players locked out of raid encounter bug players cannot attack said raid mob even though he / she has no lock out timer on said raid mob

raid boss resetting due to z axis bug a good example is fengrot when he pushes you to a slope and the main tank is levitated he will reset this is also true for kotasoth a certain spot where the main tank cannot place him otherwise he may get pushed back and reset the encounter

performance issue with severe hitching when in a city due to a poorly designed graphics engine when in cities like New Targonor, Khal, Ahgram, where your frames jump up and down up to 30 frames back and forth no other games has this much hitching when entering a city even a higher graphics game like Age of Connan doesnt hitch this bad when you enter the big cities

performance issue with Zaraax in the Storehouse of APW, Kotasoth I'm sure you've fought this raid boss and have seen your fps ( frames per second ) dip so low the fight is like a slide show even the highest end video card from my guildmates suffer when we were raiding storehouse / basement wing back then and it still suffers as of today performance in this area has never been fixed

what kind of crappy graphics engine design forces the player to turn down settings even though said player has already top of the line graphics card for a 3 year old game thats how poorly designed the game engine is

flying speed bug this bug has been in game and has never been fixed since it was introduced first type was flying mount will de spawn and drop you to your death whenever you would chunk, the half assed developer fix was to give you a parachute little do the idiot developers care where you land and get killed  by the npc's below

now the morphed bug is that you loose your flying mount speed whenever you would chunk and would have to land on the ground or cancel the mount in mid air and summon it again before you plummet to your death

I mean come on how long is this bug going to keep on morphing before the developers incompetence finally fixes this age old bug

Magicborne Abomination Raid bug player not getting ported inside the sphere ( raid area ) even though the player has the quest and the egg on his inventory

this bug has been in existence since MB was first introduced in the game and it's still present as of today

Severe performance in Isle of Garuzamut Area when we were raiding Nimaa / Rinnipin / Physik even though we were the only ones in the chunk the lag would spike so bad it would cause our raid to wipe due to the un playable lag

Psionist Charmed NPC war bug in Thelassen a psionisct who dies with a charmned npc would start to fight other NPC's and there would be a non stop fighting that would ruin the whole Thelassen chunk and a chunk reset would be the only viable solution as of today it still hasnt been fixed

These are just some of the very oldest of bugs that have not been fixed since they were introduced in the game there is soo much more

broken encounters: Karax broken since his launch and still broken after Veracity killed him, and still broken after recent attempt to fix him, Pantheon Chicken Zaseh, Sisters in Pantheon, Magicborne Abomination timer still broken ( not enough time to loot him before he despawns ), Apprentice Djere in BOD if you range attack him ( been this way since his launch ) and soo much more

broken items since launch, broken abilities since launch, broken, broken, broken

So I do KNOW what I am talking about when I tell posters here about bugs and performance issues

I let those players decide for themselves if they want to play a game that has this much bugs / performance issues

Feel free to refute any of the bugs / performance issues I have posted above, and don't tell me that bull$hit that players work around them because WE DO and it is a BUG none the less, and has NOT been fixed since they were first introduced in the game

care to refute these bugs?

• RaiveeRaivee Member Posts: 48

As for the game being worth subbing to, of course its clearly up to the person and his/her wallet. If I had to give advice, I'd look at the motives you would be after before trying. If you're looking at end-game raiding and PVP then I'd say you would be better off else where. If you're looking at just a game to play every so often and is not going to take it seriously, then it might fit your pinch. If you're used to WoW and cities being heavily populated then you will be disappointed. If you are someone who isn't fond of joining guilds then you will be restricted greatly in the game as I would say this game is a force-guild type game (with population issues).

Possibly last note, if you're looking to play and seeing it move forward into the future with expansions and constant updates, then I would turn otherwise. The population does need help with new players, however it does no good for folks to sub then cancel as it worsens the retention rate.

Originally posted by Raivee

As for the game being worth subbing to, of course its clearly up to the person and his/her wallet. If I had to give advice, I'd look at the motives you would be after before trying. If you're looking at end-game raiding and PVP then I'd say you would be better off else where. If you're looking at just a game to play every so often and is not going to take it seriously, then it might fit your pinch. If you're used to WoW and cities being heavily populated then you will be disappointed. If you are someone who isn't fond of joining guilds then you will be restricted greatly in the game as I would say this game is a force-guild type game (with population issues).
    Possibly last note, if you're looking to play and seeing it move forward into the future with expansions and constant updates, then I would turn otherwise. The population does need help with new players, however it does no good for folks to sub then cancel as it worsens the retention rate.

Raivee? Raive from Trinity on Seradon is that you?