Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how do i save things to my D drive? please help i really need it

i want to save all of my games on to my D drive (550GB) but i dont know how. i think the C drive is for windows updates and stuff like that...thats what i was told. so i want to put all my other stuff, mostly games, on the D drive. is this possible? if so how do i do it? and is there any way to move some games from my C drive to my D drive?

ty

Comments

• CloudinkCloudink Member UncommonPosts: 120

You have to uninstall the games, and reinstall them with the D: directory path.  That is if you have a partition or a another drive. If you have only one drive make a partition or buy another HDD.

"It''s like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG''s NGE

I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

"Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul."
    -Tycho

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Open Windows Explorer > Right click the D: drive > Open.  In the D: drive window right click on the right hand pane> New > Folder  > Type in the name for your folder such as Games.

When installing all future software you want on D: drive choose the Custom install if available and change the install directory path to D:>whatever directory path you want><new software>. Most software will give you the chance to change the install directory during installation.

The software that doesn't allow you to change install directories? I don't install it unless it's from Microsoft and is necessary to the operation of the operating system. Your mileage may vary.

I would suggest trying out the different methods of displaying file data in Windows Explorer too. Select the View menu > Details > View menu again > Choose Details > select the different data columns you find important to that directory. Then select Tools > Options > View tab >  Apply to all folders.

The Details view gives you a whole lot more information on a whole lot more files all at once than any of the other view types do. You can choose the display order of the files by clicking on the different column titles too.

I prefer to keep it simple with Name, Size, Type, Date Modified and Date Created. There are other options that may be handy for directories that you have media files in.

The  majority of software must be uninstalled and re-installed if you want to safely move it some place other than where it was first installed to. It's the best way to do it anyway. Any program that is important to you or the operating system should be uninstalled and re-installed.

Games are not directly important to the operation of the computer. Try moving the game directory tree and see what happens. If it doesn't work move it back.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Your gratitude is overwhelming. You're welcome.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Don't be so impatient, Grunty!  He's probably still reading!