Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the Game 2010?

I wonder about this game, yes, as it is so good and so vast that I was stunned for the first time after the SWG NGE & it was incredible for me, really, that the company that ruined my fave game had such a diamond in the pocket. It proves I don't love SoE, precisely, but it's right that Vanguard *was* there.

But some questions come to my mind when I think on re-visit Vanguard:

-Is there still anyone playing it?

-Are there organized guilds?

-How is performance now?

-Is it worth to resub, from an objective gamer point of view?

What do you think?

It is a question of fangs.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by Eridanix

I wonder about this game, yes, as it is so good and so vast that I was stunned for the first time after the SWG NGE & it was incredible for me, really, that the company that ruined my fave game had such a diamond in the pocket. It proves I don't love SoE, precisely, but it's right that Vanguard *was* there.
    But some questions come to my mind when I think on re-visit Vanguard:
    -Is there still anyone playing it?
    -Are there organized guilds?
    -How is performance now?
    -Is it worth to resub, from an objective gamer point of view?
    What do you think?

I play it

there are organized guilds

Performance is much better. Though another individual has recently posted that he things it's worse. I would respectfully disagree with him

Is it worth the sub?

If you are looking for a teaming world with players all over the place then no. The world is so large that players are scattered everywhere.

If you aren't willing to find one of the established guilds, are not willing to be or are not a solo player (meaning you enjoy the solo aspect of mmo's) And do not like the exploratioin of a large open world then "no"' it won't be worth it.

If you are expecting the same level of polish as WoW or LOTRO then no, not going to happen. Vanguard is a creaky game and it has it's ideosycracies.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Vanguard's state of the game, 2010:

forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m

Read that thread and you'll understand what to expect from the game this year.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

This has always been my advice for vanguard.

Vanguard is a good game that has seen some improvements, but it is very much a game without a future.   If you are just looking for something to enjoy for a short term then you might enjoy what vanguard has to offer.  The game really has some nice features.  I would suggest you download and play the trial, but the island and the actual game are not exactly representative of each other.

Keep in mind the game can feel very empty of players and support/content updates are so far below standards for a game that charges $15 a month for access it isn't even funny.  Both of those are situations that are not going to improve and will only get worse as time goes on.

If you are looking for a game that has the potential to be a long term game, odds are vanguard is not the game as your time will be better invested in a game that still has a decent future.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

The Trial Isle is like joining the Army, and your recruiter tells you that after boot camp you will be stationed in Alaska. You will gain all the tools necessary to survive on your own.

Do your self a favor and make as many friends in boot camp as you can.  You may run into them in Anchorage.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by page

The Trial Isle is like joining the Army, and your recruiter tells you that after boot camp you will be stationed in Alaska. You will gain all the tools necessary to survive on your own.
    Do your self a favor and make as many friends in boot camp as you can.  You may run into them in Anchorage.

I live in Anchorage, Alaska o.O lol!

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by NeokiNaomi

Originally posted by page

I live in Anchorage, Alaska o.O lol!

Really ? .................Go on, your pulling my leg !!

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Nope midtown, by C Street.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• kaa0sl0vekaa0sl0ve Member Posts: 30

my advice to you is don't even sub to this game you' ll just set yourself up for dissapointment after 3 years of supporting this game loyally most of us veterans have been fooled too many times hoping this game would make a comeback( *road to come ahead...* message from silius )

a. it has countless bugs

b. performance issues

c. an incomplete development team ( meaning they do not have a graphics programmers which means any graphics related issues will never ever get resolved )

the game has NO future

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

Play the game before they pull the plug is my advice. I had a blast to level 43 (the max level was then 50) and I had alot of fun with the players I had learned to know.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Those of us that are long term and still playing are all keen and active in our guilds. If you're not a complete asshat and join a guild you can still have a great time. Theres plenty of alt action so you'll be able to level up with guildies.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

Give it a try...I played it for a while & loved it. One of the best designed worlds in an MMO as far as I'm concerned. It's gorgeous & has a very unique atmosphere. When I played up to last year there was a significant amount of people playing, although obviously not enough given their current troubles.

It's one of those games that you wish a big chunk of the MMO community would subscribe to so that it's full vision could be realized.

As far as I know this game is going NOWHERE

the development team simply does not have the discipline to finish a project they start let alone fix bugs...

okay vanguard grind pantheon to get into Halls of Shattered Souls raid dungeon then BAM sorry chumps your grinding was for our amusement we arent going to launch Halls of Shattered Souls

developers are doing this to fix bugs from compounding

really? have bugs been fixed as far as I know they havent

z axis, flying mount bug, raid locked out bug, cannot see rain in vista, stairs bug, raid boss resetting bug, kdq quests not giving credit, severe performance issues in cities, crashing during raids, memory leaks?

wow why believe what these people say "TRY the game you ll like it" when these people are just low level alt trolls and do not play any significant content to see how massively bugged Vanguard is

and then the developers say "We' re shelving content for bug fixing"

wow fool me once...

these bugs I have mentioned have been IN GAME since they were first introduced and are still IN GAME as of TODAY

fool me once...

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

It doesnt have as much raiding as other games of the genre, and latest word is that instead of adding new raid dungeons/targets they will be more focussed on adding group content this year. 

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by svann

It doesnt have as much raiding as other games of the genre, and latest word is that instead of adding new raid dungeons/targets they will be more focussed on adding group content this year. 

Maybe this will set a precident and begin the reduction and elimination of raid mode from mmo's. Raid mode has no business in mmorpg's. mmorts? perhaps.

mmo's should be limited to solo and group action, period.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by Kungaloosh1

Maybe this will set a precident and begin the reduction and elimination of raid mode from mmo's. Raid mode has no business in mmorpg's. mmorts? perhaps.

ever hear of EQ?  Its endgame is focused on raids.  I believe it's been around for 10 years?

or this other game, world of something or other.  I hear a few people play that too.  It's got lots of raids.

or this japanese game, final fantasy11.  I think they are called alliances instead of raids.

even internet spaceships (EvE) has raids, though the raid targets are pvp as opposed to PVE.  they're still a bunch of ppl attacking something together (such as an SBU.)

(edit: punctuation)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

what would a troll like you know about Vanguard anyways?

you're an alt a holic who practically has done NO content

running around exploring doesnt even qualify you as a credible source of what should be the focus of the game

so shut your mouth and listen to a Vanguard veteran like me tell it like how it is

Svann it would'nt have been a huge deal if the developers announced ahead of time before they launched Pantheon of the Ancients 6 man dungeon that they we' re not going to launch Halls of Shattered Souls raid dungeon

Halls of Shattered Souls is the raid dungeon of Pantheon of the Ancients and Silius himself explicitly said you need to have finished Pantheon of the Ancients to get inside Halls of Shattered Souls

Many players grinded their ass off day and night trying to get their guild finished for access to Halls of Shattered Souls, even though the grind is already fracturing the player base because it was simply an insane grind much like the level increase grind where masses of players quit the game due to Silius` incompetence

This has always been about developer incompetence there is just no discipline amongst the Vanguard developers to do anything right

a little history on how incompetent the developers are

october of `09 last year the developers started the class revamps ( even though most players we`re in favour of leaving the classes alone as it is, and for the developers to focus the time that will be spent there to release Halls of Shattered Souls instead )

but instead the developers still went ahead anyways under the lead of Silius being adamant about his stance on revamping the classes november of `09 arrives and the developers postpone the class revamps with only half of the classes done leaving the other half un finished claming they will start again starting january 2010

Silius in his statement to not finishing the class revamps claims it was due to Hillsbury area and christmas content, and Vanguard`s 3rd year anniversary

guess what Silius and the development team are really incompetent Hillsbury which has gone on test server back in the end of october `09 hasnt been released at all

guess what? the anniversary event, was nothing more than an item and a bag

guess what? the christmas content, was just about turning on a few npc's for fluff items which they have done so last year and it only takes a flick of a switch to turn on and off

as of today is the 20th of january 2010 and the class revamps hasn`t moved forward at all

step back fall of `09 in an official announcement Silius announces Halls of Shattered Souls almost done they just need QA, testing, and itemization.

along with this announcement was Alternate Advancement, Hillsbury Manor ( which already went on test and was supposed to be out december of `09 ), Stiirhaad, and Pankhor Zii ( these 2 areas are supposed to be revamped and the 2nd tier epic weapons )

a severely bugged and broken encounter Pantheon of the Ancients releases and players push on ahead with the insane amount of grind it required player base suffers just like when the level cap increased

move to december of '09 Silius announces Halls of Shattered Souls, Pankhor Zii, Stiirhaad, Alternate Advancement will not be pushed forward in favour of fixing bugs so they do not compound

fixing bugs? wow there have been bugs that have been petitioned and still to date goes un fixed, eversince these bugs we' re first introduced in the game

what are these: z - axis bug, no rain while using vista, raid mobs resetting bug, flying speed bug, user interface bug, players being locked out of raid encounter bug, stairway bug, quests not giving credit bug ( KDQ ), performance bugs, memory leaks, graphics bugs, and soo much more...

these bugs we' re never fixed even as of today when they were introduced in the game and guess what? this game is over 3 years old now

they couldnt fix it then they sure as hell could not fix it today

so when the developer team says they are *fixing* bugs the player base / community know's it's all bull$hit

To the OP: State of the Game in 2010

Take it from a player that has been around since launch and has done every aspect of Vanguard whether it be soloing, grouping, or end game raiding...

do not subscribe to Vanguard

THIS GAME HAS NO FUTURE ITS GOING NOWHERE

Originally posted by kaa0sl0ve

running around exploring doesnt even qualify you as a credible source of what should be the focus of the game

so shut your mouth and listen to a Vanguard veteran like me tell it like how it is

All hail the angry little basement dweller.

It is rather easy to spew hate on the interweb. If you talked like that to a person in real life, you would get your ass handed to you.

It is rather easy to spew hate on the interweb. If you talked like that to a person in real life, you would get your ass handed to you.

wooo I m scared of mr. troll, you' re ass has clearly been handed to you enough said

• RaiveeRaivee Member Posts: 48

Man, not sure I want to hop on this thread. Even if I know a thing or two mmm.

Originally posted by Raivee

Man, not sure I want to hop on this thread. Even if I know a thing or two mmm.

Raivee? Raive from Trinity on Seradon?

That would indeed be me sir.

Originally posted by Raivee

That would indeed be me sir.

lol good to see you again bro this is Athryn

man you would not believe how many players left after that idiot Silius announced they we're shelving HOSS, AAs, Stiirhaad, and Pankhor Zii

that was the last straw for most of us vets, we left

I ain't never looking to come back

how is Hero's of Telara shaping up?

Wow you're gone too? I need to pop into CE's vent a bit more. I haven't heard anything positive through the grapevine from folks I still know that play. HoT is shaping up pretty decently coming from the community manager, some big announcement is just around the corner.

wooo I m scared of mr. troll, you' re ass has clearly been handed to you enough said

I wouldn't think you should be scared of me. Just making a statement in general that loudmouth internet haters such as yourself are entirely different people in the real world.

No, i am not a troll, but thank you for asking. I made a point, you got angry. Now be a nice little angry man and go kick the cat or take it out on an inanimate object.