Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Review of Allod's Online

jojomojo00jojomojo00 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Allod's Online is a Free to play game but if you looked at it and played it you would never understand why is free. This game has just finish with close beta 3, and i was so impressed with it i had to give it a review. Even in it's early stages this game is more polished than some of the new pay 2 play mmo's out there. In My opinion, I think they have establish themselves as one of the best mmo's f2p games out there, and not only that but dare I say it has gotten in to the p2p territory rivaling every single one of those games. I assure you that in the months to come all those p2p games will have a very real and cold chill down their spines.

This game has 2 warring factions, 6 races, 8 archetypes, 28 classes, hundreds of skills, and over 1,500 quests. The 2 Factions are: The empire witch consists of the Arisen (a cybernetic undead race), the Xadaganian(Humanoids from the empire) and the Orcs (one of the coolest orcs i have seen in a game yet). The League is the other Faction and it consists of the Elfs (they hoover in the air with wings), the Gibberlings (a 3 man team of little fussy little guys that work as a team to perform all their skills) and the Kanian (a humanoid from the league).

The 6 Archetypes are Warrior, Paladin, Scout, Warden, Mage, Summoner, and the Psionisct. from then on it depends on what race you pick that tells you what class you will be called. Now when it comes to combat in this game you can either be really good or be horrible at it. It all depends on were you put your attribute points and how well you play your class. It is very likely that you can kill 3 monsters the same lvl as you in the time that it takes someone with your same lvl and class to kill just one of them. Every class has unique skills and mechanics that are truly unique. I wont go in to much detail about every archetypes but i will bring up my favorite which is the Psionicist an archetype that literally plays with your foes mind. I find this fascinating and cant wait to use it in PVP.

The Allod's Online close beta 3 was the most fun i have had playing an mmo that i have had in years, and its not even released yet. You name it, I have played it. Yeah i know i have no life. he he. With that said, I'm not saying this game is perfect. I has its little bugs that need to be worked out for example the missing sounds, The latency between animation and the skills especially in melee combat. and the HP bar that delays in going down when taking a lot of damage. But all of this things can and will be fixed. And are not major flaws in the game.

As for the Auto attack and mini-map not being implemented it put me off for about 1 hour then i totally forgot they were missing. And the decision for not implementing Auto attack and a mini-map is not because they were lazy. They wanted to make the combat more immersive and be more about who has the best strategy rather than who has the highest dps weapons. Another fact to consider is that weapon speed dictates the cooldown of most melee skills. So if you have a 2h weapon expect a higher cooldown on your skills than if you were using a 1h dagger.

The Graphics are beautiful, It is a good thing they decided to take the mini map out. That just gives you more room to appreciate the beautiful world. Every environment feels very different and you really don't feel like you are going from point A to point B because there is no mini map that tells you exactly were you have to go. You look in your map see were it is and then just try to find a route to the quest most of the time you will find new quests and do those while you are going to that one. And most quest can be done in the vicinity from were you got the quest.

I recommend playing this game with an open mind and forget all you know about other mmo's and treat this game for what it is, Unique. I dare every single player from WoW to play this game so they can see what they are missing. I guarantee about 70% of you will love it. And the other 30%?.... Well i left WoW for a reason, they are that reason lol. I look forward to meeting and partying with all of you in Allod's Online. Spread the word!!I can get 6 people in to the close beta if you want in let me know.

Comments

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

I want to try this game out !! =(  I even tried to joined the closed beta in Fileplanet.

However I'm not in North America !! =(  REstricted !

• leyseleyse Member Posts: 2

If you're European, you can play here: http://allods.gpotato.eu

They're having an "ultimate stress test week" and according to this post, anyone who signs up for the beta before January 22 will be automatically accepted.

Let me know when you get in, I'm a Xada pally =)

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

screenshots looks very much like WoW model.But for a free game this looks nice.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

The OP's review is pretty much on par with my feelings with the game. Just to add: The leveling speed in game is slower than WoW, but no less (imo more) than WoW. The crafting system is based off a minigame which beats the click and wait system in most games. The IP being steampunk helps seperate it a bit from the hum drum of all these high fantasy mmos (my opinion here). Allods has the kill and fedex quests, but also throws in lore/exploration/discovery type quests which help keep it interesting as well. I do wish they went with your starting zone being based on race like WoW, rather than everyone on your faction and all your alts starting the same way (makes alting very tedious). Im sure others can add more, but so far this game is definately worth checking out once open beta starts (especially since its f2p!).

Cheers! 

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454

I just realized I have a hard time taking F2P games seriously, no matter how good they sound... That seems kinda failish.

I hereby promise myself to try this game out.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan