Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Money vendors = banhammer?

As you who play LotRO know, maintaining your gear/housing can be expensive and I am, in serious desparation, considering turning to a gold vendor to help with my in-game financial woes.

I know. I know.  It's shameful.

Anyway, I wanted to know if this would get me suspended or banned and how likely it is that I'll be caught. I don't even want to do it, but I'm becoming desparate. Even with all the resource farming/auctioning I'm doing, I barely have enough money to keep my equipment in proper repair. Any help you can give me is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228

-Well first of all you would prolly get banned if they found out you buy the gold, 2nd you would prolly get scamed on gold seller sites, 3rd you would prolly pick up a keyloger and get your account hacked and banned after coz ofc hackers use it for their own purposes, 4th i dont see a reason for buying gold in lotro....i mean come on my lvl37 hunter have 22g.....just get gathering professions and sell on AH/Trade, 5th what class do you play that you cant afford repairs :O? or are you just lazy to grind for gold :P?

• VosperVosper Member UncommonPosts: 57

I would think selling stacks of resources would more than pay for the basic house.  There are plenty of areas with good harvesting for hides - outside of Bree, up and down the west side of the road to Trestlebridge, would net a fair number of medium hides from the animals.  Sell those, should work.  Could even do the same area for ore, though not quite as much, I think.

Not sure what the market prices are for leather hides, but they used to sell fairly decently - it was how I maintained my house at first. I'm curious which house you have, sounds like it would be the deluxe one (approx 175s per week)?

• Go kill undead in either Barrows Downs or Harloeg (depending on your level) - make sure your bags are almost entirely empty before you go, loot everything, and toss out anything that doesn't stack - you'll be shocked at how much you can make per hour just selling vendor trash, and undead drop a ton of scholar items which you can sell on AH.

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Delvie

Go kill undead in either Barrows Downs or Harloeg (depending on your level) - make sure your bags are almost entirely empty before you go, loot everything, and toss out anything that doesn't stack - you'll be shocked at how much you can make per hour just selling vendor trash, and undead drop a ton of scholar items which you can sell on AH.

-Yup selling junk to vendor is always a good way to earn some decent cash, tho you should not have any problems getting gold in lotro imo.

• xtoturnwithixtoturnwithi Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Vaske1984

-Well first of all you would prolly get banned if they found out you buy the gold, 2nd you would prolly get scamed on gold seller sites, 3rd you would prolly pick up a keyloger and get your account hacked and banned after coz ofc hackers use it for their own purposes, 4th i dont see a reason for buying gold in lotro....i mean come on my lvl37 hunter have 22g.....just get gathering professions and sell on AH/Trade, 5th what class do you play that you cant afford repairs :O? or are you just lazy to grind for gold :P?

1.) I play a level 26 champ. I only have 300 silver to my name.

2.) It's not an issue of being too lazy to grind. I'm a married father of a newborn and I work a full-time night shift job, so my play schedule is severely restricted to maybe 12 hours a week (if I'm lucky) or, as it's been lately, 4 or 5. I've spent more time gathering/smelting/refining metals and posting them on auctions than actually questing lately and have been level 26 for the better part of 2 months as a result.

3.) Repairs and housing upkeep combined are what's killing me. If I hadn't bought the house, I'd probably be fine, but that 50 silver a week really adds up after a while.

Originally posted by Vosper

I'm curious which house you have, sounds like it would be the deluxe one (approx 175s per week)? 

Nope. Just the basic.

• AlchimesAlchimes Member UncommonPosts: 27

You shouldn't have any problems with gold if you not spending too much on items from AH. Do quests, level up and gather gold.

Here is the money making guide which maybe can help you.

* Kill Undead and Trolls of Lonelands.Trolls drop 3-6s and w/e stuff. Take about 30-50mins to get 700s-1G. Undead can go better, but you'll fill bags up faster.

* Bandits in Evendim is nother of mine, lots of items and quick trip there with 3-4 empty bags get you 600-800 silver for under hour work.

* Grind green mobs for cash (and finish deeds as a bonus)

* Any time anything new is added it sells for many times more than it will a few weeks later. Sell high, buy it back low.

* Sell Symbols of Celebrimbor

* Learned how to use the AH efficiently

* Sold NPC vendor buyable outfits for inflated prices

* Once mobs become grey in a certain gathering area, it becomes much easier to farm resources

* Hit level cap and then quest. When you can't earn XP, you get extra silver for the reward

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by xtoturnwithi

2.) It's not an issue of being too lazy to grind. I'm a married father of a newborn and I work a full-time night shift job, so my play schedule is severely restricted to maybe 12 hours a week (if I'm lucky) or, as it's been lately, 4 or 5. I've spent more time gathering/smelting/refining metals and posting them on auctions than actually questing lately and have been level 26 for the better part of 2 months as a result.

3.) Repairs and housing upkeep combined are what's killing me. If I hadn't bought the house, I'd probably be fine, but that 50 silver a week really adds up after a while.

Are you in a kin? Join one, if not. They are usually helpful and really give you good advice / craft for you, etc. Are you looting all the bodies? I saw people complaining about having little money not even bothering to fully loot bodies. you can make good money only by selling junk.

Don't buy though from gold farmers. Buying from them not only destroy the world's economy, but actually encourage these criminal organizations to hack people's account to steal their characters' money. And moreover you could be the next one hacked.

• mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by UW1975

Are you in a kin? Join one, if not. They are usually helpful and really give you good advice / craft for you, etc. Are you looting all the bodies? I saw people complaining about having little money not even bothering to fully loot bodies. you can make good money only by selling junk.

Don't buy though from gold farmers. Buying from them not only destroy the world's economy, but actually encourage these criminal organizations to hack people's account to steal their characters' money. And moreover you could be the next one hacked.

Not to stir the pot, and I'm not saying one way or the other whether the OP should buy gold, but I do think that there should be some clarification here.  I'm not a big believer in spreading FUD.

Like it or not (and of course most folks on MMORPG are going to not like it), "gold selling" (or really "resource" selling) has become a big business.  If you look at the big sites with thousands of positive feedback, they are selling currency across a dozen or more games and have been doing it for years.  They arent "stealing accounts" and "hacking" to get their product.  They are employing sweat shops full of people who play the game 24x7 extracting resources.  Where possible, I am sure they macro/bot, but if you think about it, labor is so cheap in this places, it almost doesnt matter.

The other thing is, buying gold is a real world PayPal transaction followed by an in-game trade.  No one can get your account info or "hax0r" you if you meet another char in game and do a trade.  Account hacking/theft *is* a big problem, but the easiest way this is done is with the tried and true social engineering approach.  Convince people to give up their password, or phish them into entering their password into what they think is a legit place.  The easy fix for that one for 99% of the cases is NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD TO ANYONE.  I cant tell you the number of times Ive had folks SWEAR they "never gave it out ever!" only to find out that "well... there WAS that one time but I REALLY knew and trusted that guy and it COULDNT have been him even though he's gone now!"

Of course there IS still genuine hacking and people getting access to accounts by exploiting vulnerabilities either in the game or in management portal code.  This happens and sucks, but it will always happen and is only loosely related to "currency selling".  I say loosely because, like any criminal element, the hacking/theft sleazebags will use ANY avenue of attack (including posing as "gold sellers").   So the set of "gold sellers" includes a certain element of outright criminals, but it is a subset.

Now that said, of course you can get suspended or banned (based on the TOS), and an argument could be made that currency selling destabilizes the economy and hurts the game which, in the long run, is self-defeating.  A counter argument could also be made that EVERY MMO has this underworld of resource sellers and NO game has ever eliminated them and they will be there no matter what.  Considering that even the most loved and popular games manage to survive them, it is probably worth a debate of what *genuine* impact they have had (topic for another time)

Probably the best course of action is to just do as the above suggest and figure out some ways to make some coin in game.  That, or move to a game that requires less investment of time to stay current and/or actually supports *legal* micro-transactions.  A f2f game with item store might be better for you. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

As you who play LotRO know, maintaining your gear/housing can be expensive and I am, in serious desparation, considering turning to a gold vendor to help with my in-game financial woes.
    I know. I know.  It's shameful.
    Anyway, I wanted to know if this would get me suspended or banned and how likely it is that I'll be caught. I don't even want to do it, but I'm becoming desparate. Even with all the resource farming/auctioning I'm doing, I barely have enough money to keep my equipment in proper repair. Any help you can give me is appreciated. Thanks!

Well, my thougt is "don't have the housing until you can get back on your feet".

Also, it's not very hard to make money in this game. Heck, if you can just find some trolls to grind on you can get a small amount of coin and sell the vendor trash.

Or just sell raw ore and materials on the auction house.

Believe me, I hate making money in these games and hate the whole economy thing, but if one applies themselves for a small bit one can get by.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Its been a long time, but as I recall, my Guardian really started to turn the corner in earning gold around levels 25-30 and when I left I really wasn't having much trouble earning gold. (though this was before there were houses to spend it on).

So maybe the OP just needs to hang in there and take some of the farming tips offerred (assuming they were level appropriate) and resist the tempation of easy money.

But as others said, if they catch you, your account could be banned and at the very least, expect them to take the gold away from you without compensation.

Of course, the key statement being "if they catch you"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SlimfrogSlimfrog Member Posts: 77

I think its all about time management and being in the right place at the right time. It helps to know these different spots to get some easy coin. You can take the quick way out and just buy the gold, but you take the risk of keylogger and or getting banned. But there is also the other 100% effect way of doing it; Go Legit. It will take you time, but you just do these resource gathers and mob farming and you will have enough eventually. The only thing to consider in your decision is time and patience.

• fearless47fearless47 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Don't be tempted to pay for gold schemes. They are usually run by people in different countries that can not be held accountable by local law enforcement. Do you really want to give your PayPal or credit card number to someone like that. If you think PayPal and credit cards are safe, then look at the Runes Of Magic topic about problems with both of those and their diamond exchange process.

Think of it this way - if you could not pay a bill next month, do you start thinking about robbing a bank. LOL , while a harsh concept, it falls into the same category.

Not only could you fall victim to identity theft, but you also chance your account and IP being banned from the game you want to play, which is a much smaller problem then the identity theft.

Sorta reminds me of a virus that was out about a year ago - it made your computer stuck on a screen saying that your virus program needed updating with a button to click on to update it for 50 dollars. If you did not pay for it, it would forever be stuck on that screen, making your computer pretty much useless.

Needless to say, a lot of people payed the 50 dollars by credit card instead of figuring out the proper way to remove the virus. It was simpler just to pay it in their eyes. Now, not only did the hackers have 50 extra bucks, but they also had access to their computer through a backdoor program that was installed upon purchase.

The motto of this post is - Stop paying the scammers and hackers money - spend some time figuring out a better way to solve the situation besides desperation. Some posts on this thread have given you great advice on making in-game money and joining a guild that maybe can help you out for your donations of crafting material or something else.That is the way to go.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

How about you just stop paying for the house?

Seems to me that you don't have enough playtime in a week to make upkeep for it, and the process of making that money is incredibly boring. You are prolly better off ditching it and spending what little time you have in-game advancing to later content (where you will then make the money for sure).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Its been a long time, but as I recall, my Guardian really started to turn the corner in earning gold around levels 25-30 and when I left I really wasn't having much trouble earning gold. (though this was before there were houses to spend it on).
    So maybe the OP just needs to hang in there and take some of the farming tips offerred (assuming they were level appropriate) and resist the tempation of easy money.
    But as others said, if they catch you, your account could be banned and at the very least, expect them to take the gold away from you without compensation.

That is a very good point. OP, what is your lvl?

I've always made my money these ways....

Selling processed ore. Which then led me too just selling the ore.

Grinding on Trolls or humanoids that dropped coins (trolls drop the most but are of course harder to kill) and sellng the vendor trash.

Killing an animal that has skins and selling stacks of these. There is a place in Moria, First hall, just before you go into lothlorien, at the bottom of the stairs where if you took the stairs you would see the goat travel person and the long hall that leads out of moria, that has one of those mobs that burrown. lol, yeah, can't remember names to save my life.

I spent a good saturday hunting those and selling stacks of the skins on the AH for a decent amount of money. Of course, trends change so check the AH just in case. I would occassionally get a 2nd age drop and sell one of those as well.

Of course, I don't always use the swift travel horses if I don't have to (part of being in middle earth is traveling and enjoying middle earth) and I don't have to have the best 1st age weapon so I don't need to spend money on one of those.

In any case, those are some ideas.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VosperVosper Member UncommonPosts: 57

>>> Killing an animal that has skins and selling stacks of these.

That is what I do. Haven't checked the prices recently (was busy with Yule Festival) but a stack of Light Hides used to sell for enough to cover a weeks rent, and would only take about 30 min to gather in the Mirkstone (?) Tunnels near Thorin's Hall.

• darklockdarklock Member Posts: 6

early on in the life of lotro i bought gold three times. hmmm yeah i was a poor sport :P. by the third time they had tracked my incoming mail to a gold seller.they also caught my friend who bought from the same company. both of us simultaneously received messages from GMs saying that this was our one and only warning. They have since become VERY strict on gold buying and selling. To buy gold in lotro now will almost certainly result in a temporary or permanent ban instanly. If anyone has tested this theory pls let me know lol.

• darklockdarklock Member Posts: 6

side note: the gold companies did do their best to deliver and nobody hacked my account it was a fair and equitable trade except for almost getting banned (ooooh what a waste of money that would have been). that being said, the gold companies at one time controlled the lotro economy completely. rare dropping mobs were camped by professionals which left most people unable to aquire special items needed to craft(shards etc.). this put a severe demand on these items. almost impossible to farm the mats and the price in the ah was entirely controlled by the sellers. should someone undercut the sellers prices they would buy it then resell for their price. Pre-moria this created a real problem for new lvl 50 players (each piece of crit'd gear would cost between 5 to 30G ,2 rings, 2 earrings, a necklace, 6 pieces of body armor, a cloak, and 2 weapons for a champ ) By buying from these companies they were encouraged to enforce their control and it helped to increase the constant spams in bree. IT IS NOT WORTH BUYING GOLD

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Are the benefits for having a house so necessary (I haven't played LOTRO long enough to know that)? If the upkeep is too hard at your current capabilities (maybe the tips from this thread will help you), or just plain unnecessary, you may be better off giving up the house for now and use your precious time working on your character so that at a later time you can acquire a new house, when your money making capabilities make paying the upkeep much more comfortable time-wise.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Kyleran

That is a very good point. OP, what is your lvl?

I've always made my money these ways....

Selling processed ore. Which then led me too just selling the ore.

Grinding on Trolls or humanoids that dropped coins (trolls drop the most but are of course harder to kill) and sellng the vendor trash.

Killing an animal that has skins and selling stacks of these. There is a place in Moria, First hall, just before you go into lothlorien, at the bottom of the stairs where if you took the stairs you would see the goat travel person and the long hall that leads out of moria, that has one of those mobs that burrown. lol, yeah, can't remember names to save my life.

I spent a good saturday hunting those and selling stacks of the skins on the AH for a decent amount of money. Of course, trends change so check the AH just in case. I would occassionally get a 2nd age drop and sell one of those as well.

Of course, I don't always use the swift travel horses if I don't have to (part of being in middle earth is traveling and enjoying middle earth) and I don't have to have the best 1st age weapon so I don't need to spend money on one of those.

In any case, those are some ideas.

I'm level 26. Questing in Nain Endh. Not really getting much off kills that's worth taking to the AH. Just vendor trash, mostly. The biggest issue, as stated before, is that my lack of playtime prevents me from getting to quest and farm as much as I'd like. My kin are very helpful, but they're all at least 15 levels above me, so doing quests with me offers little compensation to them and really isn't worth their time.

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

I had a really nice house for about a year but it was just such a money sink I got rid of it. What do you do with it,really?

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390

So basically you're using the same tired lame excuse as others who think buying gold is justified. "I don't have time, but I deserve it anyway." If you can't play a game by its rules, then the game is not for you and you should find another. Pure and simple logic.

image]image