Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spring 2011

Word on the street

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61890

Electronic Arts currently expects its next "major MMO" to launch in the spring of 2011, suggesting a likely release date for subsidiary BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic.

EA CEO John Riccitiello made the revelation while discussing the company's next fiscal year during a conference call today, with The Old Republic representing the company's only known "major MMO" close to release. We've contacted EA for more details

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Hmm, with the amount of companies EA has under it, its possible he could be referring to something they havnt announced yet, but it also could refer to KOTOR as well.

However with the amount we have seen on the game so far, it looks pretty near completion and unless there is some huge feature we havnt been told about yet, then over a year till release sounds unlikely.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I have to agree that TOR won't be released until 2011. We have only seen some planets and the classes. 

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Xerith

Hmm, with the amount of companies EA has under it, its possible he could be referring to something they havnt announced yet, but it also could refer to KOTOR as well.
    However with the amount we have seen on the game so far, it looks pretty near completion and unless there is some huge feature we havnt been told about yet, then over a year till release sounds unlikely.

And what information is that exactly? I've been on the official web site too and all they have is the planets and classes.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Sounds about right.  Really didn't think this was going to come out in 2010 anyways so not real surprising to me if it were found out to be true.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Sounds about right. Aleast we will have FFXIV to look forward to in 2010 unless they push it back.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Moirae

Originally posted by Xerith

And what information is that exactly? I've been on the official web site too and all they have is the planets and classes.

All of the classes have been announced and 7 (?) planets have been announced. Judging from what interviews have said the size of a planet is I don't think there will be any more at release.

There has been a lot of info on the storyline. Fair bit of info on gameplay and so on. A Q1 2011 release is not unlikely, but a closer date isn't either.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Go around youtube, you will see things such as the PaX videos showing a large amount of gameplay, story lines, multi player flash points etc.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Sounds about right. Aleast we will have FFXIV to look forward to in 2010 unless they push it back.

I just how that FF14 has a better interface for the computer. The FF11 UI was such detriment that really just got in the way of everything for me. At least now I guess I can just get it for the ps3 if the interface is the same. FF11 was entirely designed to be played on a console.....but for some reason they didn't design a different ui for the PC.

It looks interesting either way. Personally I would love if FF14 played a lot like Demon's Souls.....such a great game.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Keep in mind... EA's fiscal year 2011 runs from April of 2010 to March of 2011.

http://kotaku.com/5445820/star-wars-the-old-republic-heading-for-a-spring-2011-launch

So as of April 2010 we're technically in Spring 2011 of EA's Fiscal Year.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

I've stated on this site around 20 times Summer 2011 for TOR, but of course most posters think I'm nuts.

• RoosterNashRoosterNash Member Posts: 283

He did, in fact, say that TOR looks to be moving steadily towards a Spring 2011 release.

But, Deacon brings up a good point in that their fiscal year does begin in April, which is the Spring time. Though, while that's a possibility, I doubt he was referring to a fiscal release. But I've been wrong before. Once. Only once. And I don't plan on being wrong ever again.

THE Rooster Nash

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259

If he says spring, then it'll come out in autumn at the earliest. It's a crucial title for EA, they absolutely have to do it right this time.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Nothing new.

The same John Riccitiello already made a statement back in 2007, hinting strongly towards a release in early 2011.

This was long before the game was even officially announced.

LINK

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Don't pay much attention to the game or forums until beta invites start flowing.

That's when you'll start seeing more worthwhile info on the game in the form of beta leak articles/vids, and more worthwhile info from Bioware on the things people want to know about like PvE, PvP, economy, crafting, rulesets, you know, actual MMO things instead of the single-player game with an MMO title they've been showing everyone.

You should all feel sorry for all of those people glued to the official forums 12 hours a day when all it is is a big pit of speculation with people saying what they hope the MMO aspects will be like, when nobody actually knows.

We've all learned enough lessons from MMO's pre-launch marketing about "oh we're going to have this in the game" and "oh this is how the game will be" and blah blah, and then the game gets released, and it was nothing like they marketed it. They just wanted to sell a bunch of boxes.

That's part of the reason these games die in the first month, because they say stuff people want to hear to build the hype and sell boxes, and then there's resentment among the fanbase when they see it wasn't what they hyped.

It will be VERY interesting to see what they officially start saying about the MMO aspects over this long period of time they have before launch. The MMO community is very seasoned, and very jaded against marketing BS these days.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

It's official:  Spring 2011 target launch date.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2350415#post2350415

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

This is actually good news. Gives them more time to add to and polish the game, it also clears cataclysms launch date, want WoW players or not it's a good move in my book.

The down side is now having to wait longer : /

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    Originally posted by greed0104

This is actually good news. Gives them more time to add to and polish the game, 

I agree.   We've seen too many MMORPG suffer because they were released too early.   Some are getting impatient, but experienced people know that if you want to follow a MMORPG during development, then you need to practice patience.   

Spring 2011 is only the target date, how many MMORPGs have we seen whose release dates were pushed back?     If you're following TOR, you should be in it for the long haul

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

well this game just fell off my radar, absolutly no need to follow a game thats such a looooooong way off. 2011 looks to be interesting with GWII probably releasing around that time.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SlimfrogSlimfrog Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by toddze

well this game just fell off my radar, absolutly no need to follow a game thats such a looooooong way off. 2011 looks to be interesting with GWII probably releasing around that time.

Yes a long way off at this point, but we could be in for something we havent seen in a long time if ever: A smooth release.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

As much as I was hoping for it to release this year and hate the extra long wait, I rather wait- an unpolished unfinished game usually happens due to releasing a bit too early.

• NewmeanieNewmeanie Member Posts: 149

as I have posted in my own forum. I believe the proceeds from SWTOR in the short term will be used to fund a more promising MMO that maybe could be scheduled for 2011.

I do not think with the current information release that the parent would be so vague as to not mention the name of the mmo to be released, unless they have no named it yet (indicating a new project).

From a business perspective there is a marketing aspect to releasing dates and simply mentioning the name in a press release.  They would not pass up the opporunity to directly make fans happy in order to indirectly make them tentatively satisfied.

I do not think this release has anything directly releated to SWTOR  for these reasons.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

On the SW:ToR forums they confirmed the time as next spring. So i am really looking forward to this. I am glad that they are taking their time. There is huge amounts of pressure to release this game early and i hope they dont, as we may end up with another AoC.

"While we have not announced a specific date, we can confirm that we are targeting a spring 2011 release for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We’ve got a lot of exciting updates and reveals planned throughout 2010, including the first-ever hands-on testing for the game. It’s not too late to sign up to be a game tester, so go to www.swtor.com/tester and sign up today. We can’t wait to share more about the game with you as we progress through the year, so make sure you stay tuned to the official website for details." - Sean Dahlberg

that came from the forums on the official site today.

cheers!

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259
    Originally posted by Newmeanie

as I have posted in my own forum. I believe the proceeds from SWTOR in the short term will be used to fund a more promising MMO that maybe could be scheduled for 2011.
    I do not think with the current information release that the parent would be so vague as to not mention the name of the mmo to be released, unless they have no named it yet (indicating a new project).
    From a business perspective there is a marketing aspect to releasing dates and simply mentioning the name in a press release.  They would not pass up the opporunity to directly make fans happy in order to indirectly make them tentatively satisfied.
    I do not think this release has anything directly releated to SWTOR  for these reasons.

There's no "secret mmo" in the works, he was talking about SWTOR. Bioware confirmed yesterday they're aiming for spring of 2011.

• Xaenar22Xaenar22 Member Posts: 10

As ever, I'm still looking forward to the game, although a Spring 2011 date is actually quite a surprise. This is partly because all the recent press outlets who played the game, gave estimates of 2010. You would've thought there was some accuracy in that given that these were high profile publications, but apparently they were decieved (excuse the pun). I was fully aware that until BioWare/EA or LucasArts give a date, everything is speculation, but its logical to assume that the press would have more info than the general public, as they are more easily beholden to NDAs and such.

The biggest worry I have about this date is that its only a target and therefore we are likely to see the date slip back by quite a sizeable amount; perhaps as much as six months or a year, i.e perhaps even 2012. That is a very long time to wait for a game that burst onto the scene with blockbuster hype in 2009.

Ultimately if they need this time to make the game the best MMO ever, which it could be, then I support that. I do not agree that less time (my guess at a launch was late 2010, so the announcement of the target window only adds a few months) would necessarily lead to another AoC or Warhammer, though. BioWare games always score very highly in the press and with fans. Funcom and Mythic games were not reknowned for high scoring reviews before their most recent MMO launches (or, indeed, after). The only MMO developer with a current release that was true for, incidentally, is Blizzard. The omens are good for BioWare then, I just hope they can prolong the interest and keep relevant in terms of technology, when and if it becomes clear this game is actually more like another two years away.

• SnobSnob Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Newmeanie

Keep posting lol,your wrong. Some people really think they know it all.

Me , on the day that EA dropped the bomb shell i got a beta invite from SE for FFXIV ,so far i can make a toon and i have the client downloaded,now they just need to turn on the servers.

Could not believe it,i have never played any of their games yet i got in..