Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blogger Login Scam

krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my hotmail account got hacked last Thursday. And it finally occurred to me:

A few months back, I got an email to my hotmail account, which was the email I had registered through MMORPG.com. The email's content was about a member of MMORPG.com (not staff or anything, just another user) who had just started a new blog and to check it out. The email, at first glance, looked like a legitimate email built from a MMORPG.com template. I clicked on it and figured "what the hell, I'll check out this guys new blog" and it took me to a site that looked identical to MMORPG.com in almost every way. I thought it was MMORPG.com, until after I entered my MMORPG.com username and password.

After I entered my username and password, I noticed that the URL in the address field of my browser was not MMORPG.com. Instead, it was an offshoot of MMORPG.com (I can't remember what it was) something like mmonpg.com or something similar (notice the N instead of an R in MMORPG).

After I noticed that, I quickly exited that site, cleared all cookies and browser cache, then went back to MMORPG.com to change my password.

Well, the bastards had the password that I used on almost all of my email accounts and gaming accounts. For them it was just a matter of finding the right username and password combinations (because they already had my password) on any accounts. And they finally got my hotmail and battle.net account info.

I've spent the last few days contacting the administrators of my accounts, changing passwords, deleting accounts, yada yada. It's my own fault, I should have been more careful when clicking that link in that email.

I have found two services for reporting cyber crimes: IC3 (which is working with the FBI) and SpamCop (a service which parses the source of an email and reports the offenses to the appropriate authorities and administrators).

I just wanted to warn others that if you fell for the MMORPG.com Blog Login trick (or you receive an email similar to it), that your identity and account security could be compromised, and I suggest you change your passwords on your accounts before you get hit like I did.

There are cyber-criminals out there who are trying very hard to extort people's information. If you've run into this issue, file a complaint with IC3 asap, so these criminals can be brought to justice. They are harassing us, trying to steal our identity, and fraudulently claiming to be legitimate businesses that we have grown to trust. If you want any help or need any tips, send me a PM.

Be very cautious when clicking links in your email!

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

Comments