Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many people still actually play EQ?

LeconApprisLeconAppris Member Posts: 8

Well, EQ is pretty much the best game that my netbook can run, and i was just wondering how the population is doing in EQ?

My Blog On Playing Free 2D and 2.5D Games: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/LeconAppris

Comments

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

I have no idea to be honest, I know my friends dad and mom still play the game and he commented to me awhile back that he thinks the game is slowly fading, but i'm not at all sure about the pop numbers to be honest. Sorry :/ bump.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    astill around its around 200k
    yep still very big and it wouldbe bigger if soe wasnt so stuburn in not supplying games and time card to major local store instead of killing themselves with their online sale only deal

its the only good netbook game
    so those with netbook would buy it

but not online lol!even then regular joe doesnt know that everquest is actually good working on netbook

i cannot understand soe!
    they so want freerealm to work out that they forget if they still provided game and time card in major store and advertised it as a good game for netbook
    it would sell like hot cake
    some at soe are sleeping on the job.
  • AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

hard to judge any more. i play on bristlebane guild loby still has quite a few afkers for buffs their.from what im reading underfoot is aimed at raiders  more than casual groupers.Some one asked before "what is Sony thinking?" anser is their not.they split eqs population years ago with eq2.

still love my gild in eq.an have fun playing when im able.the new mercs tho may have helped but eq needs new models badly.the rest is fine for what it is.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

With no one really posted any reliable data its very hard to say.Mythic's mj once said everquest 2 may have about 500,000 subs (though how he came about the numbers no one knows) in late 2008.And then a soe  dev once posted EQ1 has just a bit less then half eq2 subs (again a post sometime in late 2008) but later retracted his comment as a guess only.

This would  put EQ1 at about 200k or so as a guess.

• ZyrenaZyrena Member UncommonPosts: 91

I checked out EQ a couple of weeks ago and rolled on that new progression server they set up.  You auto level to 50 so you can skip all the lower building.  This was good and yet bad... having not played the game in so many years, jumping in at 50 was a lot and trying to remember which zones were for what levels...

Anyway, no matter where I went in game, I saw people running around questing, grinding or just socializing.  It appears to have a decent subcription base from what I saw.  I personally just couldn't get past the graphics.  If SOE would just do something to bring EQ up to today's graphical standards, I could see myself and a lot of others returning.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Zyrena

I checked out EQ a couple of weeks ago and rolled on that new progression server they set up.  You auto level to 50 so you can skip all the lower building.  This was good and yet bad... having not played the game in so many years, jumping in at 50 was a lot and trying to remember which zones were for what levels...
    Anyway, no matter where I went in game, I saw people running around questing, grinding or just socializing.  It appears to have a decent subcription base from what I saw.  I personally just couldn't get past the graphics.  If SOE would just do something to bring EQ up to today's graphical standards, I could see myself and a lot of others returning.

A few expansions back that brought in the half dragosn in the serpent spine. they were to be the grafic model skeleton used to redo the models.they would look better an perfomr better.

Sony of course killed that .They dont belive that would bring new players in.Sony got realy realy Dumb around the time of eq2.They realy did belive people would just quit eq1 an go to eq2.they had a sotry that would kill off eq1 even.Kinda wonder with that amount if ignorance an arogance if any of those same people work for NBC now.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• HelternHeltern Member Posts: 193

Eq2 does NOT have 500k subs, they might have 150k and EQ1 probably has 100k players with active accounts and far few actually play much. This site has such BS numbers, 500k for EQ2, LOL, thats a gas for anm SOE game, WoW has kicked EQ's sorry butt badly.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by Heltern

Eq2 does NOT have 500k subs, they might have 150k and EQ1 probably has 100k players with active accounts and far few actually play much. This site has such BS numbers, 500k for EQ2, LOL, thats a gas for anm SOE game, WoW has kicked EQ's sorry butt badly.

Only quoting what the dude at mythic said in his interview .Again they could be right or wrong but honestly he probably has a better idea then you do about the number don't you think?

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

Hmmmm another WOW fan with NO numbers to backup his comments!

You get 150k from where, your ass maybe?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm me the only thing i cant stand from soe is the fact they supply only e-store.since me and most of the gamer

dont buy from e-store it keep the majority of gamer out of their title.

• HomergdogHomergdog Member UncommonPosts: 95

First off, I still love ole EQ and all its glory, but it has been fading quickly as of late. Most days I log in, I see around 200 to 300 people logged into the general channels. So i'd venture a guess of 500 to 1000 active players per server. Some more, some less. Getting groups is impossible unless you use guild and friends. (Example: I'm a 85 Monk with full T4.5 Raid Gear and can't land a PUG)

I just cancelled my account this month, due to Dragon Council(Top guild on server) folding on Bertoxx. No Guild = No groups or raids. Also, other guilds aren't recruiting monks, so i am SOL hehe.

Everquest is a fun game, but the population is so dismal that its hard to even play the game anymore.

As for the whole game, I'd say the population is more around 50k subs (probably half those are boxes).

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by LuckyR

I agree that 150-100k is a guess and it sounds like Heltern was making a guess, but at the same time EQ2 doesn't have anywhere close to the number of servers to support 500k players.  Especially considering that game has closed servers on several occasions since the 300k+ user peak was announced by soe. 

I'm curious why 150k is challenged, but 500k isn't.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

Eq1 was given a kick in the nuts by making it so difficult to solo at later levels. It is a great game, i will always use it to compare to other games, but quite frankly, it is too difficult for people to get anything done. The mobs are just too difficult to take on past 60ish for anyone not decked out with full raid whatnot.

Originally posted by Daffid011

I agree that 150-100k is a guess and it sounds like Heltern was making a guess, but at the same time EQ2 doesn't have anywhere close to the number of servers to support 500k players.  Especially considering that game has closed servers on several occasions since the 300k+ user peak was announced by soe. 

That is kinda funny. I play EQ and I would be shocked if EQ subs were at 150k. Like I said in my above post, it is more like 50k. To say its 200k or even 100k is crazy talk.

Here is some facts for the Bertoxx server

PoK avg. population in /who : 30 to 40 people

Bazaar avg. population in /who : 100 to 150 people

General Channels (1, 2, 3) : 150 to 250 combined

***These were taken this month over the course of a week

My Population estimate of Bertoxx server around 1000 active subs.

24 total servers X 1000 subs = 24,000 active subscriptions... (Times that number by 2 for Boxes and you come to 48,000) Saying EQ has 50k in subs is a strech, but i want to give my all-time favorate game the benefit of the doubt. Saying it has 100k+ subs is crazy talk...

• a7folda7fold Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Homergdog

Originally posted by Daffid011

That is kinda funny. I play EQ and I would be shocked if EQ subs were at 150k. Like I said in my above post, it is more like 50k. To say its 200k or even 100k is crazy talk.

Here is some facts for the Bertoxx server

PoK avg. population in /who : 30 to 40 people

Bazaar avg. population in /who : 100 to 150 people

General Channels (1, 2, 3) : 150 to 250 combined

***These were taken this month over the course of a week

My Population estimate of Bertoxx server around 1000 active subs.

24 total servers X 1000 subs = 24,000 active subscriptions... (Times that number by 2 for Boxes and you come to 48,000) Saying EQ has 50k in subs is a strech, but i want to give my all-time favorate game the benefit of the doubt. Saying it has 100k+ subs is crazy talk...

24 Servers???? Maybe that's the problem, think it's about time they do what's right and serve merge then, cause if even if they took those servers down to 12 thats at least giving another 1,000 people per server, and honestly for how old this game is they should be merged even more then that.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

The problem with merging all of the servers is the severe bottle necking that would happen. The vast majority of the population across all servers is max level. There are only so many places for these people to go, and if the servers were merged it would result in a massive outpouring of moanandgroan.

• AirdefierAirdefier Member UncommonPosts: 33

EQ currently has 166k active accounts according to a guy who counted up all the active logs from EQ players. he figured alot of them boxed, so he said there was still 90k to 110k active players.

which isnt bad in my book considering.

long live EQ

- Air

and this data was just pulled from EQ players. not everyone has there players listed on EQ players.

- Air

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

The people who still play EQ are the only people worth playing with in the MMO world imo.  Ever since MMO's became popular it's like someone opened the door for all the trash

And Yea I still play EQ :)

Originally posted by Airdefier

EQ currently has 166k active accounts according to a guy who counted up all the active logs from EQ players. he figured alot of them boxed, so he said there was still 90k to 110k active players.

which isnt bad in my book considering.

long live EQ

I'm not sure if your facts got confused or not on this statement. 166,000 active players I think is what you meant to say. Which would probably be around 40 to 50k in accounts. The number of eq accounts couldn't be grabbed from eqplayers, but the amount of players probably could.

yea i said it backwards 166k active players, and he assumed there were around 90 to 100k accounts still active. i think thats a healthy assumption considering not everyone boxes, but alot do.

- Air

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I'd venture to guess that around 100-150k is a safe bet, and that seems to be supported by a site that has tracked and compared subscriptions, active players and peak concurrent users from MMOG's.

users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/150k-1m.png

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I'd venture to guess that around 100-150k is a safe bet, and that seems to be supported by a site that has tracked and compared subscriptions, active players and peak concurrent users from MMOG's.

users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/150k-1m.png

Outside of tracking what most companies announce through press releases, I don't think those charts hold much insight or that Sir Bruce has the insider information that he once had.  Which is why you see certain games remain flat for years and years. 

Assuming those are not just another person hacking his work to pieces. 

• MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181

Links?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I can throw numbers around because I don't have any sort of way to determine an accurate number, and no one else really does either.  Whether the game has 10k subscribers or 100k will most likely be irrelevant to your experience because I've played games with far less subscribers than games like LoTRO and WoW which seem to be far more populated due to a number of things such as the size of the game world, the spread between every player's level, and how active the community is in general.

That said, EQ really has a bit too many servers for its population IMO, and would be better suited to cut down to the same number as EQ2 has or less, given the game's enormous size.  Honestly, you will walk across probably 75% of the game world, rarely seeing over 5 other people in the entire zone with you, but again, that doesn't mean it's any less populated than its sequel.  The world is just much larger.  Also, EQ is not nearly as newbie friendly as EQ2, and as such, you'll find far less low level players roaming around, whether they be alts or fresh faces.  Most high levels who have alts pay for a second account to duel box or twink themselves out and duo with a mercenary.  XP is unbelievably fast up until your 60s, and you won't see much group action unless you join a guild, in which you'll be likely to see a few power leveling groups on your way up the ladder.  Most of the people you'll run across will be in the guild lobby, sitting AFK or waiting for buffs.  Outside of that, you'll see a hefty portion of AFK traders in the bazaar and about 10 - 50 players roaming around the PoK.  

Don't let that scare you though because out of all the MMOs I've played, EQ has probably the most welcoming community for new players.  If you join a decent guild, you won't be left to fend for yourself, and the guild will make sure you're well equipped.  I'd say either the majority or a large portion of the EQ community are raiders, but the raiding game hasn't quite taken control of EQ quite like it has WoW, as you'll still find many casual guilds that are simply content with running what content is open for non-raid geared players, which is certainly more than it used to be due to special gear drops.  

Overall, I think EQ has an acceptable population for someone to start fresh, but I'm not sure if I personally would start on EQ if I had no prior experience with the game before.  It's similar to starting in SWG, not because the game was turned inside out and gutted like a fish, but you just get a sense that the game's best days are far, far behind it.