Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Idea: Contagious diseases , curses.

IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Based on the nature of the game , it would be nice is curses diseases existed that lay dormant and if you don't go for a checkup they can spread.

This could be quite ammusing if a PUG group forms or even if someone within a guild has a disease or curse that is transferable when grouping. Could be quite ammusing also if this is sort of a global quest for everyone in the game and until the cure is found , half or more of the server population could have debilitating effects. And the rest either in quarantine or very wary as to who they allow to join with them.

Ongoing maladies that need more than a single spell to sure to me would add depth and variety to the game and stooryline.

These would not be game stopping as this would required very strong communities to play through but just minor ailements which last until cured or the citadel provides vaccinations.

[Edited for spelling]

Comments

• SandbaggerSandbagger Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Isane

Based on the nature of the game , it would be nice is curses diseases existed that lay dormant and if you don't go for a checkup these can spread.
    This could be quite amsing if a PUG group forms or even if someone within a guild has a disease or curse that is transferable when grouping. Could be auite amusing also if this is sort of a global quest for everyone in the game and until the cure is found , half or more of the server population could haev debilitating effects. And the rest either in quarantine ofr very wary as to who the allow to join with.
    Ongoing maladies that need more than a single spell to sure to me would add depth and variety to the game and stooryline.

Ug, that sounds horrible.  I'm not sure I want to play a game where if I group with people I might catch a disease!  I'd play solo all the time.  Fortunately, I haven't read that they are doing this in this game.  Sorry, Isane, but I can't say I like your idea and I hope they don't do it.  It's funny though to think about, but not something I'd want to actually see.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Have to say, the last thing this game needs is yet another reason for people to not group or get together to socialize, the game mechanics are challenge enough in that regard.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Have to say, the last thing this game needs is yet another reason for people to not group or get together to socialize, the game mechanics are challenge enough in that regard.

Yes, we wouldn't be doing Insane's idea in CoS, though your comment that this game has other reasons not to group is a total misrepresentation of our game.  CoS has every reason to group, without stopping players from playing solo if that is their desire.  How you can possibly make such a statement when CoS offers both Raids and Group Quests, which BOTH require groups to play, is beyond my understanding.

I'll state again, you can play Citadel of Sorcery however you wish without the game forcing you to play either way.  Frankly we don't understand the two separate camps of players, one advocating solo play and the other group, when we offer both and let the player decide.  Whenever we say this we tend to get both sides claiming that because we offer one, we can't offer the other, balderdash!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Well, I was confused over the grouping mechanics but have a much clearer picture after reading your other post.

You will have raids and group content which will result in greater rewards for those who chose to partake of them.  I had misunderstood what you were putting in place from your earlier posts, especially the one where you shared your experience /displeasure with LotRO's story line quests and the inability to progress through them at times. (though you could have skipped them and still reached end game)

In the end, you are offering content that rewards and encourages grouping, which is all I'm asking for.  Lately too many games are making themselves almost entirely solo experience and that is disheartening to me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

I'm glad you are happier about it, that's one (lol)

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Sandbagger

Based on the nature of the game , it would be nice is curses diseases existed that lay dormant and if you don't go for a checkup these can spread.
    This could be quite amsing if a PUG group forms or even if someone within a guild has a disease or curse that is transferable when grouping. Could be auite amusing also if this is sort of a global quest for everyone in the game and until the cure is found , half or more of the server population could haev debilitating effects. And the rest either in quarantine ofr very wary as to who the allow to join with.

Ug, that sounds horrible.  I'm not sure I want to play a game where if I group with people I might catch a disease!  I'd play solo all the time.  Fortunately, I haven't read that they are doing this in this game.  Sorry, Isane, but I can't say I like your idea and I hope they don't do it.  It's funny though to think about, but not something I'd want to actually see.

Ah it's a great idea... It is not game breaking and I was more thinking it would be useful in the context oif a quest. It may inhibit people a little for a day or so before they collected a few herbs and got themselves cured.

But would add depth and be very easy to impliment a pandemic every now and again would be fun. People who couldn't be bothered getting the cure would just be i'll for a while.

I hear comment from people like oooh well that would make me even more unlikely to group....(You don't have to group) If it's part of the game and you catch a illness from players encounters or injuries, then having to sort this out and it not being immediate would add greatly to the game.

And based on the difference from the normal MMO that is being touted this would be an ideal place to use this mechanic.

In reality I don't really care what is done as long as the basic concept and storyline is stuck to.

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

I've played a game where there was an event that spread a disease, and you caught that when a sick person talked in public (people hearing what they are saying would get it) and if a sick person talked in private, performed actions or traded with another player.. It got out of hand and turned into a pandemic that became too hard to contain. People stopped wanting to talk to each other, many essential activities in game stopped and people just kept to their apartments. The herb needed to cure the disease became overharvested, and people stopped creating cooking recipes that used that herb. It was a community process to cure it, and it frustrated the elders when a newbie joined and just spread it again.. Nice concept, too risky for an MMO.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

true and no icon if you dont zoom in on your toon to check if you look healthy you can spread it etc would add a nice dimension to a game

Originally posted by amusedmonkey

I've played a game where there was an event that spread a disease, and you caught that when a sick person talked in public (people hearing what they are saying would get it) and if a sick person talked in private, performed actions or traded with another player.. It got out of hand and turned into a pandemic that became too hard to contain. People stopped wanting to talk to each other, many essential activities in game stopped and people just kept to their apartments. The herb needed to cure the disease became overharvested, and people stopped creating cooking recipes that used that herb. It was a community process to cure it, and it frustrated the elders when a newbie joined and just spread it again.. Nice concept, too risky for an MMO.

Not at all if done properley, this is a Storyline based MMO, where people have storyline factions and nemesises running around if you group with people you in effect inherit parts of their storyline. Illnesses, Diseases or curses would fit perfectly with this.

I dont want anything that stops gameplay but just something that adds to the depth of the game, having a  pouch of herbs at the ready would not be that hard to do. A small reduction in health stamina or whatever the main attributes a person has for short periods can openly add to the game. The heal all in 10 seconds scenario does not add to depth and lends for predictable and unrealistic gameplay , also very slack gameplay.

Even small consequences that arent game breaking add to a game and make people play smarter and bettter. The small things that make a difference.

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

Trust me it was far from a cure all in 10 minutes, it lasted for over a year and every time we thought it was contained it spread again as there was no way to tell right away if someone is sick, they got slight reduce in a random stat for a few minutes and they knew they were sick only then. Even it wasn't crippling some people just panic at the thought of a penalty that they didn't deserve or have a direct hand in causing.

Now this could work if it was purely cosmetic like some special animation every now and then like coughing or something or a part of a quest where you get a disease , get stat reduction, do a quest and at the end it grants you immunity and that's that. But personally, I would keep to my reflected world and avoid socializing if that meant catching a disease from a random stranger that hinders my process in any way.. Some times that last 1 HP is the difference between winning and losing a fight and there is nothing you could do strategy wise to avoid it or prevent it but to cut off socializing.

Originally posted by amusedmonkey

Trust me it was far from a cure all in 10 minutes, it lasted for over a year and every time we thought it was contained it spread again as there was no way to tell right away if someone is sick, they got slight reduce in a random stat for a few minutes and they knew they were sick only then. Even it wasn't crippling some people just panic at the thought of a penalty that they didn't deserve or have a direct hand in causing.
    Now this could work if it was purely cosmetic like some special animation every now and then like coughing or something or a part of a quest where you get a disease , get stat reduction, do a quest and at the end it grants you immunity and that's that. But personally, I would keep to my reflected world and avoid socializing if that meant catching a disease from a random stranger that hinders my process in any way.. Some times that last 1 HP is the difference between winning and losing a fight and there is nothing you could do strategy wise to avoid it or prevent it but to cut off socializing.

Not game breaking in any way. If you want to keep to your reflected world then you can , thats a choice.

Forget what I have said but if you group with anyone they may have  afaction that you like very much and they dont. You may not know this you wander into your reflected world and they kill a friendly to you I believe that will affect your relationship as well if you are grouped. YOu will have to rectify that at some point. So just in a basic sense others will affect your gameplay and storyline regardless of my idea.

Sound like staying in you boring relfcted world solo may be the only way you can avoid developing an interesting storyline that may bring challeges.

I don't think you will be able to avoid playing the game regardless of how hard you try.