Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

heh -- pretty compelling sandboxy game

KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

This is a a pretty compelling sandboxy project. Me like. 

Discovery of a new planet and source of energy, of which is being capitalized by a synthetic, robot-like life form. Their technology and resources are the goal of humanity's new conquest.  I like conquest. . .I like mechs and broad and deep game-play avenues on one persistent, non-instanced planet.  Formable terrain by military, agricultural and corporations.

Dynamic environment...nice...player-driven economy and corporations that can set up military and police networks to drive their expansion...pretty much players develop the content?

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am willing to take a look,but i will be extremely miffed,if i see cartoon crap like MAplestory or the other million games that look the same.

PLEASE tell me i am not going to click the game and see some high school students freeware project?

Ok i looked and it doesn't look to bad ,better than i expected.However it seems to be in closed Beta,so no checking it out yet.The game looks thrown together pretty quick because the maps look dead/barren .The combat is pretty much 100% stand out in the open and pew lasers at each other,so not so sure how much total effort they put into it outside of making mech robots.

It is easy to combine more than one texture for a animation,it makes it look better.all i saw was single texture animations and pretty boring to look at..Just from the lack of anything in the terrain,is there even any PVE at all ,or is it just basically grab your mech warrior and attack each other?

I thought RFO had a ton of potential,too bad a terrible developer was running it,we could use another RFO,but of course RFO offered a lot more than just a mech warrior ,you had choice,does this game offer any choice?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

lol, no its not like that at all Wiz. it actually looks pretty damn good. sort of a cross between EVE (as far as the overall sandboxy stuff goes) and Mechwarrior.

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

Im not speaking for anyone else, but this might be a bradth of fresh ait.  All I gotta say is I spent too much time reading up on this on their site, checking out the blog, and getting a sense of how diverse this can be for someone that likes economy, crafting, corporation development, territorial control and terra forming, combat, etc.

It looks like its still in beta, but if game-play and graphics are richer than just what I've seen, It seems it could warrent a closer look. Hell...im gonna throw some beta applications in and see what happens...its the potential that's appealing right now.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think to form a real good opinion of this game,you would have had to play RFO a similar game that wasn't too bad,it just lacked a true developer behind it.

So if you played RFO ,how would you rate this game in comparison?That is maybe the dilemma i face,i have played so many games and seen just about everything,so nothing seems fresh to me anymore.

I will give the game some credit however,unlike the bazillion other crap i have seen lately,the game deserves at least a tryout,and you know coming from me that means something lmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mennaccemennacce Member Posts: 5

What the hell does RF online have to do with Perpetuum? Two VERY VERY different games, total opposite end of the spectrum. I have played both RF online and Perpetuum extensively, so believe me.

RF online is an item based cash shop korean grind game with shallow pointless pvp in a static world.

Perpetuum is a pay to play sandbox game with no levels, only skills that train over time, the only grinding you do is for money and equipment. The world will be able to be built up by players including terraforming and the building of infastructure. Winning at pvp is important because losing can cost you big time, depending on what you brought along to the fight.

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191

Yeah the more I see and read about this the more i'm looking forward to it, as someone else said might be a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale environment, love sandbox games but as is currently i'm limited to EVE, applied to closed beta but haven't heard anything back yet. Any word on when open beta is due to start?

• ZaneBotZaneBot Member Posts: 2

Lots of good things happening with this game.  The updates keep coming in and things are being tuned daily.  Worth checking out if you like the Sci-Fi genre.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

makes me miss the game Mechassault on the original xbox (a reason why i was in xbox live beta)

:( poor FASA Studios

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• pythipythi Member UncommonPosts: 63

Originally posted by Krux

Discovery of a new planet and source of energy, of which is being capitalized by a synthetic, robot-like life form. Their technology and resources are the goal of humanity's new conquest.  I like conquest. . .I like mechs and broad and deep game-play avenues on one persistent, non-instanced planet.  Formable terrain by military, agricultural and corporations.

Dynamic environment...nice...player-driven economy and corporations that can set up military and police networks to drive their expansion...pretty much players develop the content?

To me this looks like the ground version of EvE, it could be very promising, I do get the feeling that is will play the same as EvE with ground combat insted of space.

Exocide

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

Originally posted by pythi

Originally posted by Krux

To me this looks like the ground version of EvE, it could be very promising, I do get the feeling that is will play the same as EvE with ground combat insted of space.

Yes, it will play a lot like eve in certain ways. But there are some differences with the active movement with W,S,A,D and a few other mechanics that are different.