Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many MMORPGs have you enjoyed as much or more-so than your first?

Comments

• zchmrkenhoffzchmrkenhoff Member Posts: 2,241

My first MMORPG was Asheron's Call, but in those AOL dialup days it was really annoying and for some reason or another I ended up not playing it.

My second MMORPG was WoW... I hate raiding so I just became one of those "alt-levelers" until the content bored me.

AoC, WAR, Aion, Fallen Earth, and Darkfall did nothing for me.

My favorite MMO is WoW. So one.

"Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up." - Robert DeNiro

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

My first was EQ1 and then went to EQ2.
    Wow was such a vast improvement to EQ1 and 2.

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Loke666

My first was Meridian 59 followed by Lineage.
    The games I enjoyed most is however Guildwars and EQ2.
    For some people is the fist game as their first love, but not for me. 

Same here with the start of Meridian59 ut followed by UO but ultimitly Star Wars Galaxies gave me that true feeling of being in a virtual world, with it's known IP all I needed and was given was this world I knew and could be what ever I wanted to be (within the game limits obviously) Tho the first 2 games did proivde me with a certain feel of freedom it didn't come close to how I felt in Star Wars Galaxies, obvious abit biased as I was/am a Star Wars fan, since the first movie release where I had all toy's, ranging from small figurines to the big "dolls" like Bobba Fett, Chewbacca, Darthvader, Luke, Leia and a hugh collection of ships, vehicles, posters nd everything else I could collect when I was a kid, so obvious Star Wars had a hugh atraction with me.

Shame that SW:Tor doesn't excite me in a MMORPG way.........for now....hpe that might change, tho I am sure I be playing the game regardless, but so far no MMO fibe I get from it which I would love to see.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Ater 2 years of FFXI I went to play Guild Wars(CORPG) for 4+years and still playing it. There hasn't been a mmo that has caught my interest for the long term since FFXI.

• TheCharlieTheCharlie Member Posts: 9

I know this may sound lame, but my first MMO was Runescape. I played that game for about 5 years until my account got perma-banned lol :(

Ever since then, I have never enjoyed another MMO. After I got finished with Runescape, I just felt that grinding in MMOs is just a big waste of time and I just couldn't bring myself to grinding any longer after the 5 years I've spent grinding on Runescape. And for nothing, since I lost the account in the end.

Hopefully the new Star Wars MMO will bring me back into the MMO scene, but until then, its all about Modern Warfare 2 =D

• ManarixManarix Member UncommonPosts: 98

My first MMO was Ultima Online.

MMO i enjoyed after that one:

• Dark Ages of Camelot
    • Earth and Beyond (the crafting part was just great)
    • Horizons (again, crafting)
    • Wow (first 2 years were a blast)
    • Rappelz (untill they nerfed the game to oblivion)

Failures for me:

• EQ2
    • WAR
    • AoC
    • Aion
    • PotBS

Not a MMO but an online game that is in my heart forever: Settlers 3

Currently playing browser games. Waiting for Albion Online, Citadel of Sorcery and Camelot Unchained.
    Played: almost all MMO pre 2007

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

First was UO. Loved the hell out of the game with my anit-pk tank/mage, dragon taming bard, and evil scum bank and house thief (afking in town at the bank with 20 people around was NOT safe).

Next was EQ. I Liked this game very much as well. It was more social and adventure and not needing to watch my back 24-7. Annoying you with bard sparklies and blocking your tv with my ogre warrior. Did my character just make that puller you guys think was needed so badly obsolete, woooo, go chanter.

I can't say that I've liked any other game as much. Far too much hand holding. No nifty special use case abilities. I loved my broken, unbalanced yet playable games. They were like puzzles. I love puzzles aside from this rubix cube sitting my my desk (though I did write a program to solve that one for me).

I'd probably think completely differently if my preferred character type to play was different. The characters types I like to play have been virtually eliminated while the characters I don't like have been significantly improved. Even single player games seem to be losing their challenge and appeal to me. Maybe I'm just getting old. I did just go to a debate over our latest tax ballot measure.

After...

• Asheron's call - Seemed alright but never really got into it.
    • DAoC - This was decent. RVR was okay once Midgard was "adjusted" though the realm I was on was never really balanced player wise. One dead faction and one grossly populated faction that could lag everyone to death if they really wanted to. Kinda ruined the potential fun. When is some other game going to have a pet class like the theurgist?
    • WoW - okay for short play times.
    • EQ2 - Did not start right off the bat. Could never find people to group with or make a group with and trying to solo or 1-2 it was even more ridiculous than EQ1.
    • Earth and Beyond. I discovered space games with stand and button smash aren't my taste. If it is spacey, I want Decent ;p

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Tobias3

None. Very few games have come out in the past 6 years that can even hold a candle to the shadow of DAoC.

What he said.  DAoC was my first MMO experience and it has yet to be rivaled by anything.  I did have some good fun in SWG pre-CU back when it came out though...  I wish I could somehow combine the two...

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

UO and EQ were my first (though I did also play M59 for bit).  Many MMO's since then, and yeah I found them all better then EQ at the very least.  EQ was a fun game for it's time, but without a doubt.  I've had more fun with the stuff that.  I've player after it.  DAOC, AC, WoW, EQ2, tons of Korean MMO's.  While I haven't found a sandbox MMO that I liked more then UO, SWG pre-cu and to a lesser extent post cu came reasonable close.  Might be just me though, as I have tried Fallen Earth and Darkfall, but found both pretty boring.  Also even Eve-Online a few times since beta, but that bores me as well.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I didn't get bigger into MMOs until my my 3rd year of college, so that would be around 3 years ago. So I have been a late MMO player for the most part, and my history with them isn't quite as long as most.

My first three MMOs I played were Guild Wars, which I only enjoyed for a month. Then I played Darkside of mu with a college friend, but that lasted only a week maybe as the game was really bad. Then I did Ragnarok Online, and that was just a whole lot of clicking and just doing the same thing over and over. I did however have a GF who loved it and was addicted to it. This was all my beginer MMO stage and would be considered my fis ones, and disliked them all.

My first real MMO was Eve-Online, and I enjoyed that one for around 7 months. After that I have to say I gave WoW a try just to see what all the talk was about and to experience it first hand to make my own opinion of it. I have to say though even though WoW was my last it was the one I enjoyed the most. I played it for 7 months, the same length as Eve, and then took a break for around 7 months. Then played it for 7 more months before quiting for a 2nd time. Guess I like the number 7 a lot.

So I guess it has to I didn't like any of the first games nearly as much as my more recent one. It's just a matter of time before you find one thats good enough for the most part to keep you entertained for a while. Now I have my fill of WoW again and am looking for something new, but sadly most recent MMOs just are not good enough for me. Here is hoping for The Secret World, or Blade and Soul to be good, hell I might even consider FFIX.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Tried AC, DAOC, AO, AC2, and Shadowbane.  Gave each up without subscribing, because they were all boring.

Shattered Galaxy (MMORTS) was the first subscription-based game I payed monthly for, followed by Planetside (MMOFPS).

Wasn't until WOW that a MMORPG came out that I felt was fun enough to be worth subscribing.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

My MMO subscription path is:

UO -> EnB -> SWG -> EQ2 -> (WoW -> EVE) -> DDO -> LOTRO -> TR -> AoC -> WAR -> PotBS

Still playing the highlighted.

I tried lots of others in the short term; dabbled in DAoC, Aion, Champions Online, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online and probably a few that I've forgotten to mention. There are been quite a few that I enjoyed more than UO in certain areas.

The best PvE game (imo) is WoW.

The best PvP game (imo) is EVE.

THe best non-combat game (imo) was SWG; loved the crafting/resourcemechanics.

Looking at what is coming out, I could imagine SW:TOR replacing WoW in that list since I love Star Wars/KOTOR, but I don't think there's much coming that would replace EVE and SWG.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

My first was UO, gave EQ a shot but after UO had a hard time gettin into the whole level up system.

Second favorite to UO would be SWG-pre nge. Had everything UO had only with way better graphics. But since those two games have both changed direction from their early ideas I haven't been stable in any one MMO.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

My first MMO was UO. Aside from it I have enjoyed AC and SWG (pre-NGE) equally or more than UO.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

First Game - Lineage 1, played it for about 6 months.

Games I've played as much or more than L1

Lineage 2 - 6 mo

DAOC - 2.75 yrs

WOW - 18 months

EVE - 2.5 yrs and still going.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Scottc

And what was your first MMORPG?  What were the others you enjoyed?  I don't care about your reasons for it, although feel free to post em, just curious to see some data and look at some trends between players and their MMO experiences.
    My first was Asheron's Call, I enjoyed Darkfall Online at launch for a bit as much as AC.  (Hate Darkfall Online now though, empty game.)  Anything else I've tried I didn't enjoy as much as the two mentioned up there.  I found everything else felt way too restrictive in terms of where you could go and what you could do, like I was playing a carefully planned out singleplayer game where any difficult decisions were made for me.

My first game was DAOC. The only game I enjoyed as much as DAOC was SWG before the NGE. The two games were very much different from each other, and SWG was only my second MMORPG ever played, so both games and their gameplay fealt new to me. Any game I've played and even remotely enjoyed after those two were predictable and easy due to my past experiences with DAoC and SWG.

• OriaxOriax Member Posts: 35

Lineage 2 was my first and sad enough only mmorpg ive ever enjoyed. Tried about all mainstream mmo´s out there and havent found one that give me even a tiny slice of the fun ive had in Lineage 2.

L2 Addict since - 10 april 2004 07:40:22
    Welcome to the Lineage II Open Beta. -

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

1st ? - Anarchy Online. The whole concept of an MMO was amazing to me then, I had almost picked up UO but for some reason didn't.

Reading the description of the Agent class had my imagination of all sorts, as i had no preconception of what an MMO was. The sense of adventure was brilliant, I recall someone taking me on my first mission it seemed MILES away and everything was new. Even now the sounds and login music have an emotional impact.

I have not enjoyed an MMO in the same way since.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

My first was Runescape, but I was younger and my attention span eventually led me to DAoC. Thank God! DAoC immediately trumped Runescape in any way, shape, or form for me. I played it for a good year or two (and it was after ToA and all the expansions were out, so it's not like I knew that the game was worse than before) before eventually trying WoW out of curiosity. Got hooked and played it for about 2 years, took a break for an ill-fated stint with WAR and AoC, then came back. Got bored again, so tried EVE, and here I am today. Still subbed to WoW, but really only to raid with a good guild.

I'd imagine it's quite rare that anything would be more enjoyable than your first MMO, because if you have no real idea of what an MMO is, your first MMO will leave an impression on you. Hell, I should think that an MMO is a sandbox because of Runescape, but I'm just fine with more themepark-type games.

• nookey91nookey91 Member Posts: 42

my first mmorpg was , Knight online, and after that i found out about guild wars prophecies when there was no expension etc first 2 years. i played it then i went over to world of warcraft ( stil playing) but after i played this game i cant play anny other mmorpg out there and get a nice feeling maybe the first month but then its ah god if done this 1000000x stupid !. annyway i loved Guild wars the most played out all expensions

• DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

1st MMORPG was a MUD called Vego back in 1993.

1st Graphical was UO.

Played most the major releases since then. Maybe 80%. All the big names to be sure.

Best ever was DAoC. My favorite and unsurpassed. 2nd to that would actually be a MUD called Mortal Realms.

Honorable mentions: EQ/EQ2, WoW, SWG pre holo-grind, LOTRO (currently playing)

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

My 1st was SWG, the only ones I enjoyed as much afterwards have been EVE and Darkfall.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

I caved and purchased DFO, I'm hoping dearly that it will be my new friend.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• GrakelGrakel Member Posts: 92

UO pre-tram was my first, I enjoyed EQ, early EQ, Shadowbane, City of Heroes and I have to throw SWG in there, again early SWG. And one more Anarchy Online, I still have good memories of that game after some of the launch bugs were fixed.

Played in some form:
    UO til tram, AC, EQ, AO, WW2O, PS, SB, CoH, AC2, Hor, LoTRO, DDO, AoC, Aion, CO, STO
    Playing: WoW (for gf), WAR
    Waiting For: SWTOR, FFXVI
    Hoping For: DCUO, Secret World, Earthrise
    -S- (UO Sonoma)

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

While there are several things that I miss from Everquest, my first MMORPG, I think World of Warcraft is a much better game overall. I've tried a few others since WoW, but they weren't even as good as Everquest in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.