Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: List: The Top Five PvP MMOs

14567810»

Comments

• henrychanhenrychan Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Stradden

In this week's list, MMORPG.com contributor William Murphy writes this look at what he feels are the top five PvP MMOs from both the past and the present.
    The List
    It occurred to me as we start 2010 that I’ve spent more time playing MMOs over the past 10 years than I spent reading, writing, drawing, watching TV, riding my bike, or any other one of my hobbies. I tried to think about why I would feel inclined to spend so much of my leisure time in imaginary worlds clubbing giant rats. After vowing to ride my bike more and actually read something other than quest text in 2010, I realized one of the main reasons I like to spend several hours a week in online space is the people... and sometimes more accurately: killing them. I love questing, but the competitive streak in me loves a good fight with human opponents. Keep in mind that this list is my own, and your mileage may vary, but here then are my top five PvP MMOs.

Read The Top Five PvP MMOs.

• henrychanhenrychan Member Posts: 5

What's the point of this thread when 95% of you nub's never played Asheronscall Darktide.

Todays pvp generation makes me sad

• TenzyyyTenzyyy Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by GeniusSage

No Darkfall? What a joke.

/agreed Darkfall is the most amazing game I played for PvP, although I still think the twitch melee pvp needed some work. Best times in a game ever with DF though

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Kilmar

Sad list. I dont disagree (because I dont pvp much), but the first 3 ranked games are old. Hey devs, look at that list and change it ;)

Uh, what has age go to do with it?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• mibbstermibbster Member Posts: 4

Everyone that has said WAR shouldn't be on here is dumb as shit, pardon my language. The game should NOT be number 4, it deserved at least 3 on the list.  Also, I have played EVE, and there is no point even TRYING the game. There are so many people that have been playing since it came out, and the control the whole game. Also, WAR has totally open PvP that lets the factions control sectors.

Mibbster

• Overfiend138Overfiend138 Member UncommonPosts: 55

To even have WoW in top 5 PvP shows this writers lack of MMO and PvP experience. EQ2, Darkfall, Shadowbane, EQ1 (Rallos Zek, greatest pvp server of all time ok), Neocron, hell even Vanguard, all had crap tons better PvP. The only reason WoW is in there is total lack of a death penalty which keeps the carebear crybabies comin back for more. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Tenzyyy

Originally posted by GeniusSage

No Darkfall? What a joke.

/agreed Darkfall is the most amazing game I played for PvP, although I still think the twitch melee pvp needed some work. Best times in a game ever with DF though

Darkfall is a very small niche game that appeals to a very small audience.  They would have a hard time getting 25th on the list.    More pvp occurs in Wow in one day then in a month in Darkfall not to say pvp in Wow is anything great.  It also has a major issues such as no skill cap.  So it in no way belongs on this list.

• BluesiBluesi Member Posts: 3

WAR is very right in that list. It even deserves a higher place. The author mentioned the unmet potential but beside all the bad things about this game it has a very very important feature: it is possible to pvp in this game and do nothing but that. I just played it again for a month and indead created a toon and went to rvr. Naked, lv 1 - works.

It was often announced to be the "next-gen" pvp game. We all know it was not. But the ideas and concept were. No other game was designed to include pvp right from the very start with content for all levels.

I think the list is quite fine.

WOW for beeing the big mainstream hit

WAR for Concept

Ultima for beeing a pioneer

DAoC for beeing the most fun, replace it with you most fun game like DF, SB or GW and the list is still fine

Eve for having the most complex pvp world

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

And MY List:

1. EVE

2. Aion

3. WoW

4. Fallen Earth

5. um.... didn't get to play it but guess I'l have to include... Ultima Online

Yeah I missed out on that last one ..couldn afford a computer back in those days and I know those days were and will forever be the best!

This list is mainly "of those games I actually played.

• ENTR0PYENTR0PY Member UncommonPosts: 62

Eve is overrated

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Eve and Uo are the only mmo worth mentioning anyway, and pvp or not have nothing to do with it in fact.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I wonder what his list looks like this year..  However, putting WoW up there based on "history" and not the current game.. While leaving games like Darkfall and Aion off the list, which is my opinion are far better PvP titles makes one think, " Why the Bliz and War promo?" Hell I would evern say STO deserves a spot on that list, and that is really stretching it  Last time I played Planetside, it has far better PvP then WoW and Warhammer