Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAO Expansion (Rip-off)

2»

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

No its not a rip off. The game has over 100hrs of total gameplay from the start. I can't wait for the expansion personally.

• XxMaticxXXxMaticxX Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by XxMaticxX

Originally posted by Ceridith

All the DLCs and extremely early expansion certainly seems like they intentionally cut a lot of content out of the original box game.

I honestly don't care what their excuse is at this point for the ridiculous speed that they're churning out DLCs and apparently now expansions. I thought the original game was lacking enough diversity and uniqueness to deserve me spending any more money on any DLCs or expansions, so I won't be purchasing anything else for DA:O.

this is one of the reasons I will probably torrent ME2, why am i paying for a game when i dont get everything.

So instead you take it? You like it enough to play it but don't like it enough to pay for it?

The movie is ok but only good enough to sneak into the theater. This couch is ok but the color sucks and I wish it was a bit longer. Oh well, i'll bonk the salesman on the head and you drive the truck up in the rear.

i don't know if I will like it, im not a blind bioware fanboy that thinks everything they touch is gold. I thought Dragon Age was very generic to the point i didn't even care what happened since i really couldn't change anything with ANY of my choices in dialog.... i finished DAO in about 25 hours or so.

will ME2 be the same way ... sounds like it.

so yeah basically. anyway if i didn't torrent dragon age I wouldn't have bought it anyway, i Dled it because of the hype it was getting. so really they lost no money over me, they wouldn't have gotten any in the first place.

the Evil Raider that outgears you and makes you cry for welfare epics on the forums.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

No its not a rip off. The game has over 100hrs of total gameplay from the start. I can't wait for the expansion personally.

It was an okay game, but I didn't feel like it was as amazing as so many people keep claiming. And quantity isn't quality either. I got almost 40 hours out of the game for the first play through, but a lot of the time I was bored with the overly scripted encounters, drawn out dialogue, bland combat, and extremely predictable storyline... so really I only count a fraction of that. DA:O did not feel worth the $50 I spent, because I was bored half the time.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to buy the DLCs, Expansions, etc, if they were more reasonably priced. I won't consider getting the expansions/DLCs unless they significantly drop the prices on them, but by the time they do I probably won't even care anymore.

Also as a bit of a side note... is it me, or are the "choices" that Bioware keeps touting about "making an impact" a whole lot of bunk? I played through twice, trying to do the opposite for most choices, and everything felt the exact same in the end, aside from a slightly different ending. The choices themselves were extremely lacking as well. I'm not saying it's easy to make a game where there are a lot of choices that make noticeable impacts... but at least stop trying to use that feature as one of the 'hooks' when the reality is extremely lacking.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

All the DLCs and extremely early expansion certainly seems like they intentionally cut a lot of content out of the original box game.
    I honestly don't care what their excuse is at this point for the ridiculous speed that they're churning out DLCs and apparently now expansions. I thought the original game was lacking enough diversity and uniqueness to deserve me spending any more money on any DLCs or expansions, so I won't be purchasing anything else for DA:O.

The "excuse" is that the game itself was delayed for over half a year in order to optimize/make the console version, effectively giving BioWare's teams more than enough free time to plan DLCs and expansion(s). It's not like they're making it all up this very moment or something. At least get some facts straight first.

Also, infamous "15 hours long expansion" was never confirmed by BioWare so it may as well be completely false.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by strangepower

Expansion? Three months after release of the original game?
    You mean the rest of the original game content, held back till after the holidays to maximize potential revenue.
    You see the Industry pretty much has its consumers "TRAINED" 
    a la Pavlov's Dog with this micro-transaction mindset.
    Its a marketing technique that favors the Industry in this less than stellar economy.
    I will not purchase the "faux-expansion".

you are pretty hilarious...the original game came out...when? oh yeah...november 3rd. when is the expansion coming out? march 16th. that is way more than three months last i checked. the original game took me about 60 hours on my first playthrough and i have played through 3 times since. if i didnt get my monies worth...ill be damned.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

The "excuse" is that the game itself was delayed for over half a year in order to optimize/make the console version, effectively giving BioWare's teams more than enough free time to plan DLCs and expansion(s). It's not like they're making it all up this very moment or something. At least get some facts straight first.

Also, infamous "15 hours long expansion" was never confirmed by BioWare so it may as well be completely false.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • XxMaticxXXxMaticxX Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by jayheld90

Originally posted by strangepower

Expansion? Three months after release of the original game?
    You mean the rest of the original game content, held back till after the holidays to maximize potential revenue.
    You see the Industry pretty much has its consumers "TRAINED" 
    a la Pavlov's Dog with this micro-transaction mindset.
    Its a marketing technique that favors the Industry in this less than stellar economy.
    I will not purchase the "faux-expansion".

you are pretty hilarious...the original game came out...when? oh yeah...november 3rd. when is the expansion coming out? march 16th. that is way more than three months last i checked. the original game took me about 60 hours on my first playthrough and i have played through 3 times since. if i didnt get my monies worth...ill be damned.

i can't see how people played it 3 times through. I played it through once as a tank then i started again as a mage on my way to becoming a bloodmage.

NOTHING changed ... even though i took the insulting, snotty route .... everything was the same except for the first part of the game (before you join the wardens).

the Evil Raider that outgears you and makes you cry for welfare epics on the forums.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980
    Originally posted by Methos12

Get my facts straight? Uh, I never made claims on what their excuse was. I said I didn't care what their excuse was because I felt the game was lacking. They delayed the game for over 6 months to port it to console? Woop-dee-doo, I played in on PC, so I could care less whether or not they ported it to console. Their excuse doesn't effect me in the least, and it doesn't change my view that I felt the game was extremely linear and lacking.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Are you talking about Dragon Age Origins? If you think you have been ripped off, you need a reality check.
    The game came with about 40 to 60 hours of content. If you think you didn't get your moneys worth you're simply delusional.

So true but some have all day to play games and run through the content within 2 days so they think they are getting ripped off.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Sovrath

this is one of the reasons I will probably torrent ME2, why am i paying for a game when i dont get everything.

So instead you take it? You like it enough to play it but don't like it enough to pay for it?

The movie is ok but only good enough to sneak into the theater. This couch is ok but the color sucks and I wish it was a bit longer. Oh well, i'll bonk the salesman on the head and you drive the truck up in the rear.

i don't know if I will like it, im not a blind bioware fanboy that thinks everything they touch is gold. I thought Dragon Age was very generic to the point i didn't even care what happened since i really couldn't change anything with ANY of my choices in dialog.... i finished DAO in about 25 hours or so.

will ME2 be the same way ... sounds like it.

so yeah basically. anyway if i didn't torrent dragon age I wouldn't have bought it anyway, i Dled it because of the hype it was getting. so really they lost no money over me, they wouldn't have gotten any in the first place.

Well that's life I suppose. You can go to a movie and hate it, read a book and hate it, buy a cd and hate it, go to Paris and hate it. That's why there are reviews and forums. There aren't many things in life where you can have the item or service and then pay later if you think it deserved it. I highly doubt your company works this way. You'd be out of a job if it did! You don't have to be a "fan boy" of something you can do research and make an informed decision.

As far as the game changing actually quite a lot can change.

There are three types of conversations in Dragon Age.

The Information choice which basically helps you find things out. It's surprising how, in some instances, one seemingly innocuous choice will uncover something interesting.

The Roleplay choice which essentially gives you the flavor of your response.

And the fork in the road choice.

Sometimes you don't know which choice you are making until you've made it.

Getting back to not changing (SPOILERS AHEAD)

You can kill logaine and Allistaire becomes king or you become Queen (if you are human female). Or raise the current Queen as a ruler. If Allistaire becomes king he becomes a beloved king of all men espeically commoners.

You can allow Logaine to live and become a grey Warden and Allistaire leaves your party in disugust and becomes a drunk wandering the world. If you allow logaine to live then you can marry the Queen and become king (human male). if you kill logaine you can't become king and marry the queen (she won't have anything to do with the man who killed her father). There might be another king option with Arl Aaemon but I don't remember.

You can ally yourselves with the slavers and send the elves off to to their fate or you can help them.

You can either help Redcliffe and save it or leave and it will be attacked and all of its people killed or captured and dragged (bodies as well) to the castle. Also, if you do certain things in Redcliffe the militia/people, actually become better armed and both knights and militia become better fighters if you do certain things.

You can kill connor and release the demon, you can kill his mother and enter the fade and confront the demon, you can enter the fade yourself or have your party member do it (or jowan) and confront the demon. You don't have to kill the demon you can make a bargain with it and recieve a benefit. How you handle this will affect Allistaire toward you and also the Arl of Redcliffe as well.

This also goes with the Urn of Sacred Ashes. You can kill the dragon and preserve the ashes or you can destroy the ashes and its guardian and receive a benefit. If you destroy the ashes and have certain party members in your party (hint, the really religious ones) they will attack you and you will be forced to kill them.

You can choose to insure the ashes are never found or that they are there for all who seek it.

You can help one or the other faction in the Dwarven city and depending on which faction you choose the fate of the dwarven people change.

You can help a cute barmaid who will make something of her life (of sorts) or you can leave her be.

You can borrow a family sword, later give it back to the boy who owned it and he will grow up to be a great warrior but always talking about how he loaned you that sword to save redcliffe. Or leave him be and nothing becomes of him (or he dies I suppose if you don't help Redcliffe).

You can make decisions that will essentially invite along your party members or leave them be. Not helping sten, not taking Leliana, killing zevran or bringing him along. Additionally he will either help you or betray you depending on how you develop that relationship. Not to mention the romantic choices should you decide to follow these. And by developing your relationships with your party you gain benefits. Furthermore, if you interact with either Leliana or Allistaire in a certain way you can change their attitudes. allistaire becomes more hardened as does leliana and she changes her class back to Assassin.

Oh, and you I've tried several choices with releasing Sten. Depending on your persuasiveness you might not be able to get him relased. or you tell revered mother you are a Warden and she refuses. Sometimes you have to give enough money to change her. If Leliana is in your party then that helps get him released. But if you choose not to have her then getting him released is much harder. edit: in some past games I've not succeeded in getting him released unless I gave enough money.

edit: I just tried to see what my options were with one character and though I got him released using the intimidate choice (in another character of mine that didn't work as I did not invest enough in persuasiveness) I did get morriigan to get excited and say ""oh now we threaten Priests? How Fun!" which was very funny and of course got me favor with her and Allistaire embarrassed and disfavor with him. I just mentioned that because it was amusing.

Help Morrigan by giving her a child and she helps you so that  you and the grey wardens live. Or you don't agree to her offer and you die.

Helping a Templar rid himself of a Demon (but he dies in the process) or allowing the Demon to give him what he wants and the demon in turn gets what she wants and leaves you in peace taking the Templar with her.

Deciding to kill everyone in the Mage Tower, including Wynn, best healer in the game or saving the mage tower and its inhabitants.

Losing the vote at the Landsmeet and being ordered to be taken out and executed with Allistaire and  Arl Eamon at which time the Arl proclaims that they will not be taken and a fight ensues. This is opposed to you winning the landsmeet, dueling Logain and either losing, which means he has won and it's end of the line for you, or you winning and the landsmeet backs you and you get to decide who rules Ferelden.

And at the final battle, every partyy member you wiin over or who lives will join you in that final battle. Given you have to split up if you don't have them then they will not be there to help you. Of course, which people/factions you help along the game will mean that they will be there for the final battle.

Etc.

(end spoilers!!!!)

I could keep going but there is a whole game that can be commented on. Some of the dialogue outcomes I was only abe to get a hint at as my persuasion wasn't high enough. I'm not sure what players are expecting but the story is the story. It's how you and events fit into that story which you have some control over.

You cant' change some of the large plot points but you can change the flavor of many of those plot points and how individuals fit into your party.

For all the freedom that games like Oblivion or Morrowind had (both favorites of mine) you really didn't have much freedom in the main story at all.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Mystic_FuzzMystic_Fuzz Member UncommonPosts: 36

This is my first Bioware game and I believe it's fantastic. Everything they make may not be gold, but I believe as an RPG fan, this one is. If you were able to beat it in 25 hours, then you missed 95% of what the game offered as well as cutting out most of the cut scenes. My first play through took well over 60 hours. My second is taking longer because I'm trying to include many of the side quests I missed in the first.

Ultima Online
    Mystic of The Fallen Lords (Pacific 98-01)
    Mystic of Catskills (03 - 08)