Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too late to start?

lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

I was really anti-Darkfall for a while, but I have to admit when I am wrong.  I was completely wrong, and the devs have impressed me.  A revamped website and even boxed versions can only mean success on some level.  Since Mortal Online looks like a complete failure, I am wondering if it is just too late for me to get really good at this game.

Also, I want to know the kind of time investment I need.  I don't have too many hours to give to Darkfall, but I do have some.  I just can't stand the grindfest like Aion had. 

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Its never to late to start; however, you are in for a rough ride due to the nature of FFA Full loot PvP. That said, the grind in Aion for top pvp is worse than the grind in DFO. Anyone that tells you other wise has no idea what they are talking about. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052
    Originally posted by Baggs

Don't bother.
    Save your money and time for another game / activity because DFO is just not worth it if you weren't there from the beginning.
    Since you compared it to AION grind, you should know that AION's grind ends at some point where as in DFO it simply doesn't.

You will be grinding up your stats and skills for at least a month before you can get involved in any serious fight and do decent damage.
    Otherwise you'll be hitting people for 20/30 dmg when they'll do 50/60 to you.

Why do you focus on the one vs one?  It's a multiplayer game.  A new person can contribute in many useful ways.  It's a huge beautiful world and no it's not to late.  New players are joining every day.  Welcome to Darkall.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Originally posted by lethys

I was really anti-Darkfall for a while, but I have to admit when I am wrong.  I was completely wrong, and the devs have impressed me.  A revamped website and even boxed versions can only mean success on some level.  Since Mortal Online looks like a complete failure, I am wondering if it is just too late for me to get really good at this game.

I would like to point out that you appear to be making the same judgement mistake again. I'm not saying this in regards to either games success or failures, but merely in the way you are presenting your ideas.

With that said, no it is not too late to start Darkfall. If you get into a good clan they might even hook you up with some gear to help you out. Stats and skills definitly have a bearing on PVP, and you will need to grind them in some fashion for a little while to catch up. In my opinion, the lack of inertia when changing directions, and the mobs behaving in ways that suggest they can see through objects, see behind them, have excellent sniping abilites, and can cast from their backs, makes the grind more tedious than fun. You may not be bothered by this, however, so what is overly grindy to me, may be perfect for you. 

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Originally posted by Ruyn

It's a huge beautiful world...

I would like to take this oppurtunity to say that the environment has quite a bit of quirks. In some areas the borders of different areas are extremely obvious, like around my clans city where it goes from being green and grassy to gray and rocky with no transitionary terrain. There are a few zones like this around me. Also looking at the world map there are many regions that are clearly obvious that they were created with no regard for thier surrounding areas, what i mean is that there is little contiunity in overall style.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• trashburnintrashburnin Member Posts: 223

not at all too late to start, imagine when DFO has free trials for everyone.  Get ahead of the herd while you still can.  Long term progression means there isn't just Max and Min in character development, there is a lot of middle ground and you don't need to max everything to pvp as some have led others to believe.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by xpiher

Its never to late to start; however, you are in for a rough ride due to the nature of FFA Full loot PvP. That said, the grind in Aion for top pvp is worse than the grind in DFO. Anyone that tells you other wise has no idea what they are talking about. 

Ignore this person he's an idiot.

Aion top pvp grind? lolwut?

The OP is obviously asking about CHARACTER PROGRESSION.

In AION it stops at level 50.

In DFO it simply doesn't stop. Ever.

Badly designed game. Stay the fuck away from it, its an mmo abomination.

No he is not an idiot. Stop embarrassing yourself.

@OP this is a great time to start playing, the game is still young. I still have regrets about missing out on the beginnings of several great mmos. I just wish I subbed up sooner.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• PsalmsPsalms Member UncommonPosts: 137

I bought this game about 5-6 weeks ago i think and absolutely love it. 

As far as grinding stats goes, i dont think there is anything wrong with the progression level.  I enjoy gathering/crafting as well as pvp/pve.  My strength just hit 50 and my vitality is at about 48.  My strongest stat, which doesnt help too much with fighting is wisdom at about 63.  I dont really look at them all that much so i dont agonize over the rate of progression. 

I think people get too stuck on "completing" their character, but in DF you only have one character slot.  Also..yes this is a FFA pvp game, but the focus is GROUP combat, so whether you can 1v1 every other player in the game is mostly irrelevant.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Don't bother.
    Save your money and time for another game / activity because DFO is just not worth it if you weren't there from the beginning.
    Since you compared it to AION grind, you should know that AION's grind ends at some point where as in DFO it simply doesn't.

You will be grinding up your stats and skills for at least a month before you can get involved in any serious fight and do decent damage.

Aion is a hacker and botters paradise.

..and to think people say DF is bad.

Its not to late to play DF.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412

I played DFO from Beta until just before WW1 (Hyperion vs Goons).

I played Aion for about a month . . . did not do it for me

Play DFO.  It kicks ass . . . especially now that they have a handle on most of the major kinks.

I am seriously considering resubbing until APB comes out.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Also, I want to know the kind of time investment I need.  I don't have too many hours to give to Darkfall, but I do have some.  I just can't stand the grindfest like Aion had. 

Someone compared grind in DF to WoW with level cap at 19.

It's very easy to get to 19, and start end-game.

You will be impressed how non-grindy this game was - and then you will meet your first "twink". He is also level 19, but has twice as many hitpoints, and hits twice as hard.

Guy who plays for 4 hours every day since launch is not unkillable, he is not lvl 80, he can't even improve his twink in any significant way - but in 1vs1 he's got signinificant advantage over casual player.

So it's up to you how much you want to grind.

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

Could you elaborate on how you were completely wrong, and Aventurine has somehow impressed you enough to make you do a 180 in regards to Darkfall?

They paid a few Euros and had the website updated. I suppose that it being severely outdated by the time they got to updating it could be considered impressive.

As far as a boxed version, as far as I know, it is no more than a rumor that it will be coming out in Greece. I do understand that there are a couple Greek gaming magazines with some trial Drakfall codes available in them, but that's about as far as it has gotten.

Maybe this info has changed in the last few days, I haven't been over to the official forums lately, what with the holidays and whatnot.

Also, last time I checked, Mortal Online can hardly be considered a complete failure, when it hasn't been released, much less a release date.

Anyway, as far as if it's too late or not? Just look at it this way, the sooner you start, the sooner you will truly know the answer for yourself. Then again, you have waited this long, what's a few more months with the hopes of a trial maybe getting released?

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Azdul 
    Someone compared grind in DF to WoW with level cap at 19.

You can get to level 19 in half a day. The DF grind to be PvP competitive is many magnitudes longer than that.

It is more like WoW with a level cap of 80 and you need to get there not via quests or running instances but  50% of time killing on of the four five mob-types  and 50% AFK harvesting and crafting.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Ruyn

Don't bother.

Why do you focus on the one vs one?  It's a multiplayer game.  A new person can contribute in many useful ways.  It's a huge beautiful world and no it's not to late.  New players are joining every day.  Welcome to Darkall.

Its cool to team up, but i dont want to join a zerg like you folks do. Traveling with 5 friends and get owned by a vet is just stupid. Even after 2 months of play, you will will get owned by the same vet 5 vs 1.

Aion is a grind, but atleast they got quest and there is an end to it (lvl 50)

Darkfall got no limit. You got players who started since beta without macroing and they are still low compared to macroed vets. If you want to compete, you will have to macro, but if you do you will get banned. If you want to compete in a legit way, you will have to grind for 2 years. Not 1 year because macroed players since beta didnt even max their character yet.

If you hate grinding, you will love darkfall, but after 1 or 2 months, you will get sick of it because of 1 problem, the stats problem. They wont change it because they dont want their carebear vets to whine about it.

get away from DF. I saw you say that MO is not good. Its understantable, its beta so what you expect? When MO will be complete, it will be way better then DF since they wont have a grind. I mean, 1 week to be competitive is so cool. Only thing that is quite grindy in MO is the crafting system, but it need to be that way for the economy potential.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

I started about a week and a half ago. I'm enjoying my time and in HD I see a lot of newbies. Lots of privates and recruits. I'd say go for it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3307549/Darkfallone-month-in-review.html

I win.
    Again.
    As always.

What you talkin' bout WIllis?

In seriousness, really, I don't get your win reference?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

Don't bother.

Aion is a hacker and botters paradise.

..and to think people say DF is bad.

Its not to late to play DF.

This is because its more popular compared to DF. Imagine if DF get a trial and the same amount of players. Considering the its a pvp base game, it would be so much worst.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif