Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bought it, any server recommendations?

I hear the game is "dying" still it's doing much better on xfire than EQ2 (which is alive and has much people on), but I know that there was some xfire contests for AoC anyways so many AoC players use xfire. Last I checked EQ2 was somewhere in #120-130's while AoC is #58 and The Chronicles of Spellborn in #500-700's. Also any recommendations or places to see which european server has most players because I don't like empty games at all, and I read on the other thread that some servers might have 20players on at time (I doubt it though) or any server recommendations?

EDIT: Btw why all the hate to it? From videos it looks like the best MMO for a while. It looks like just what I were looking for.. O_o

I'm excited.

Comments

• RdlabanRdlaban Member UncommonPosts: 396

Pve- go crom for population.

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Rdlaban

Pve- go crom for population.

I care more about population than PvE/PvP/RP servers, so does the others have better population or is PvE most populated?

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

both pve/pvp have populated servers

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Don't know about US vs Euro but this is what I found when I was setting mine up a couple of weeks back:

PvE: Wiccana (most pop) / Set / Gwahlur / Ironspine (low(est?) pop)

PvP: Tyranny (either a low or OK pop - depends on the post) / Agony / Bloodspire (Oceanic server / low pop).  Almost all of these are calling for merges with each other so as a set they may all be running on the low end.

RP-Pvp: Cimmeria (big pop - hardcore pvp server)

Things to think about: What type of game you want to play.  If your rig is on the lower end of the rec scale you might not want a lot of other players around.

Best bet: Stick a toon on each of the server sets and see how it looks to you during your playtime.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• RdlabanRdlaban Member UncommonPosts: 396

If you care aout population only. Crom seems to have most characters registered by yg.com. This would be an indicatition as the biggest server population wise.

PvP seems to be fury.

You should care about this things; the gameplay experiance vary very from the different ruleset.

Originally posted by Rdlaban

If you care aout population only. Crom seems to have most characters registered by yg.com. This would be an indicatition as the biggest server population wise.
    PvP seems to be fury.

You should care about this things; the gameplay experiance vary very from the different ruleset.

I know I should care, but I have no idea how AoCs PvE or PvP is and mostly in games I enjoy both as much as other if it's done well, can you get gear from PvPing like in wow or do you have to raid? Also, will I easily find raid/group in Crom?

And I know, if I get the idea to buy a game then I buy it no matter of cost or if it's bad.. :D ... ... ... ...is there crafting in AoC? ^^

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Originally posted by Jazqa

EDIT: Btw why all the hate to it?

I know I should care, but I have no idea how AoCs PvE or PvP is

...is there crafting in AoC? ^^

I think most of the hate comes from a bad launch.  Things were promised; drunken tavern brawls, a Mature rating with nipples (only used as an example although it might have been a game breaker for some! LOL!), etc.... 

And what actually was delivered was different: no brawls, no nipples (although it's OK to show a guys head getting ripped off, but somehow nipples are bad?), a combat systems that many thought not to be innovated but more like 'get what you want after pushing the correct sequence of buttons' mash-a-thron and a lot more instances than they thought there'd be.  Plus the lush, beautiful, high graphic world became more the if you don't have the top rig setup, you get much less.

I know when I tried the trial just a year ago there wasn't a move in the mouse direction setup so you had to use the W,A,S,D setup.

Now they have fixed alot of things, some may never show up but the game has moved on from what it launched as.  Many don't want to see that though.

PvE vs Pvp?  As I understand it with PvE you can only Pvp in certain borderland area's so  you can get both on a PvE server.  The Pvp servers are anytime / anywhere / anyone.  Which makes for a whole different game.

Crafting starts in the mid-20?

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157

all the hate is just the same 3 persons who have been flaming the game since it was launched, just ignore it and have a good time.

• Don't know if your are US or EU, but Fury, EU PvP server is the mostly populated EU server, or it was last time i checked. Wondering if i shall give the game ago again, and there is where i have my character at least.

Originally posted by Nitrius

Don't know if your are US or EU, but Fury, EU PvP server is the mostly populated EU server, or it was last time i checked. Wondering if i shall give the game ago again, and there is where i have my character at least.

You should! 

Yeah I'm EU!

• RydekRydek Member Posts: 35

Im on Crom its a general server and EU,

If you want to catch up im shirosan :)

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

I hear the game is "dying"...
    EDIT: Btw why all the hate to it? From videos it looks like the best MMO for a while. It looks like just what I were looking for.. O_o

I'm excited.

Oh man... Forget the "dying" thing... If your reference game is a wellknown Blizzard title then pretty much any MMO is "dying"

Just stay excited and download the game. Play around - You can always delete the chars you make and reroll.

Asking about the hate will get you just about everyones opinion but few facts. If you really want to know, use search or just look for posts around launch. The state of AoC at launch made a lot of people express their opinions about how they felt. (Lied to, deceit unfinished, were among the most popular terms discribing that incarnation of AoC.)

You "don't like empty games at all": In that case I would say make your first char on Crom. (I may be judging your post incorrectly, but it sounds like you would need to adjust to the strange specific AoC version of PvP, and thus I consider Fury a waste of time)

Personally I play on Fury (for that mindless "mature as 6'th grade" experience) but mostly on Blackscar, simply because the community is great even if it is a lot smaller than Crom. (Sorry hated every minute there (on Crom) so my DT is just another non-played toon in yellowgremlin stats )

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

None of the servers have solid populations...there are only 4 world wide.....USA side, Tyranny(PvP) and Wicca(PvE) had OK pops but now Tyranny has died down to that of the lol RPPvP server....lol they merged reg PvP servers into it.  The good news is server mergers are going down again soon per the director....most servers just don't have healthy populations, even the ones with the most players. ..so that may help.

.IDK the last patch 1.05 which was released buggy six months ago brought on a lot of hate...that is when the population really began to plummet and the game lost players after free trials and win backs after 1.05. I will concede it may be an OK RPG where you are casual and take forever to level up, but to this day there isn't enough stuff to do to be an RPGMMO and a lot of it just isn't good or does not work.....PvP system, Criminal system, Sieges that crash or lag out...on pvp side. Nothing seems like it would take much time to come up with a good idea and implement or fix it but Funcom has proven me wrong. This just has to slow development for hard core and people who play more than 15 hrs a week as they will level up and quit or reroll and find out 1-80 is the same so then quit.

Isn't a big deal, this game isn't for most MMO types so it will have a low population and less development...isn't hate is the truth.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

I hear the game is "dying" still it's doing much better on xfire than EQ2 (which is alive and has much people on), but I know that there was some xfire contests for AoC anyways so many AoC players use xfire. Last I checked EQ2 was somewhere in #120-130's while AoC is #58 and The Chronicles of Spellborn in #500-700's. Also any recommendations or places to see which european server has most players because I don't like empty games at all, and I read on the other thread that some servers might have 20players on at time (I doubt it though) or any server recommendations?

I'm excited.

enjoy the game to the extent that it suits your needs

the looks of the game are the best part imo, and you can get that from youtube

and, I add, much like a car driven too much or a whore ridden too much it gets old and you soon go looking for something else once you've tried it

they tell you to try to like it, but I don't want that, I want what I like to be presented to me

its like they're offering petty whores and say.. "please try to like this one"..

but in their language "please understand, please try to get along with the other players, please try to find people and please try to.."

at some point you realize they want YOU to serve them money

in that case they should just ask

digressing here..

just enjoy the game.  it was fun while it lasted for me at least and that was from 1-80 (though I only enjoyed/tollerated much of it because I was excited but the endgame content they spoke so highly of).. so answer to your question, the reason their stock tanked and their revenue is dropping is because they lied/mislead a lot of people (both players and investors.. luckily I was only a player).. but some people honestly seem to enjoy the game.  if its your cup-a-tea, drink up

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

I'm excited.

Firstly don't listen to all the hate about this game it's not a true reflection of the game at all now, it's from either people who have not played it or got burnt at the shambles of a launch and who can't get over it.

Play the game and enjoy it, there's plently of good stuff coming; patch 1.06 with Guild Renown, PVP Arenas and PVP Towers (in part two) and the Rise of the Godslayer expansion in Q2 2010.

As for server play on Crom (if you're EU) for PVE and for PVP go to Fury (full on PVP though) and have fun.   AoC is a great game now. :)

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

Originally posted by bluefunk

I'm excited.

Firstly don't listen to all the hate about this game it's not a true reflection of the game at all now, it's from either people who have not played it or got burnt at the shambles of a launch and who can't get over it.

Play the game and enjoy it, there's plently of good stuff coming; patch 1.06 with Guild Renown, PVP Arenas and PVP Towers (in part two) and the Rise of the Godslayer expansion in Q2 2010.

As for server play on Crom (if you're EU) for PVE and for PVP go to Fury (full on PVP though) and have fun.   AoC is a great game now. :)

Yeah so 2 servers EU side and 1 + 2 half servers EU side. As I said there are issues today, it isn't your fault the devs could care less bout pvp, balance, and content...the size and scope of the game is still a 20th of wow, eq, and at most a quarter of any game with multi factions and start areas....coupled with lack of content and well thought out stuff is why this game is dead/sleeper mode today....maybe the expansion is awesome...but almost two years after a content lite MMO with few updates and very little added that is saying little. EQ was on its second expansion today....WoW revamped every class and had 4 raid instances out now plus it had way more area and end game quests and many more grp instances at release....IDK. where you get it isn't a reflection of the game today. 1.05 had plenty of ignored feedback and drove many of the remaining below 100ksubs away(meaning hard core or super casuals that couldn't put 5 days into the game to finish everything).

Plus stop looking to to future...Funcom has not delivered time and time again.....sieges still crash almost two years later and the PvP system is a joke. Funcom has lost 40 million on this game American dollars...tell me how much they put into this game and care about it after that? The updates since release were laughable, less the expansion is Gods gifts to MMOs this is a bad investment for players.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

Originally posted by finaticd

I'm excited.

Yeah so 2 servers EU side and 1 + 2 half servers EU side. As I said there are issues today, it isn't your fault the devs could care less bout pvp, balance, and content...the size and scope of the game is still a 20th of wow, eq, and at most a quarter of any game with multi factions and start areas....coupled with lack of content and well thought out stuff is why this game is dead/sleeper mode today....maybe the expansion is awesome...but almost two years after a content lite MMO with few updates and very little added that is saying little. EQ was on its second expansion today....WoW revamped every class and had 4 raid instances out now plus it had way more area and end game quests and many more grp instances at release....IDK. where you get it isn't a reflection of the game today. 1.05 had plenty of ignored feedback and drove many of the remaining below 100ksubs away(meaning hard core or super casuals that couldn't put 5 days into the game to finish everything).

Plus stop looking to to future...Funcom has not delivered time and time again.....sieges still crash almost two years later and the PvP system is a joke. Funcom has lost 40 million on this game American dollars...tell me how much they put into this game and care about it after that? The updates since release were laughable, less the expansion is Gods gifts to MMOs this is a bad investment for players.

While I feel your pain for the issues that surround PVP, because more content is required in this area WOW was in no better shape after a year and a half the same time AoC has been out.  Of course AoC is never going to match the subs that WOW has.

You PVP'ers are a strange bunch, full of hate in every sentence but you still post in AoC forums.  To the OP I think you should take this as a lesson on the PVP'ers that populate AoC - but as you are a PVE'r the point is moot.

Good luck in Hyboria! :)

Thanks for the tips guys! Downloaded already over 20gigs from steam and now downloading 3gig patch..

Btw, I'm pretty sure I'll make my first character to Crom :)

I'm excited.

While I feel your pain for the issues that surround PVP, because more content is required in this area WOW was in no better shape after a year and a half the same time AoC has been out.  Of course AoC is never going to match the subs that WOW has.

You PVP'ers are a strange bunch, full of hate in every sentence but you still post in AoC forums.  To the OP I think you should take this as a lesson on the PVP'ers that populate AoC - but as you are a PVE'r the point is moot.

WoW had a better PvP system, no penalties for ganking....there really was more open world PvP...there were many more instances of battlegrounds going...I ranked up to warlord and were 7+ intra server battle grounds going on 12+ hours a day on my server and 1-5 instances for the other BG options that were not fotm.  Classes got revamped and stuff....also there was way more raiding PvE which was much better scripted and required way more strats, I know cause most guilds could not do it all ;p WoW had more content at release than AoC will have 6 months after expansion easy....EQ was on par at release 12 years ago but t hey released their second expansion around this time so had more content that AOC ever will have. Also EQ 1 had more players 4 years later than AoC does today.....my server had 3-4k players a night 4 years later as they used to publish the numbers on login, AoC is lucky to have that many USA side over whatever server number.

if you want to know why AoC is pretty much dead today it is do to lack of quality and quantity of content AND game mechanics. Player turnover is so high in this game it seems they spent more money on advertising than they did development and polishing.  The OP will probably buy the game and see for himself but  Funcom knows most people do not stay aside from loyalist and many of them subscribe and no longer play.

I'm excited.

WoW had a better PvP system, no penalties for ganking....there really was more open world PvP...there were many more instances of battlegrounds going...I ranked up to warlord and were 7+ intra server battle grounds going on 12+ hours a day on my server and 1-5 instances for the other BG options that were not fotm.  Classes got revamped and stuff....also there was way more raiding PvE which was much better scripted and required way more strats, I know cause most guilds could not do it all ;p WoW had more content at release than AoC will have 6 months after expansion easy....EQ was on par at release 12 years ago but t hey released their second expansion around this time so had more content that AOC ever will have. Also EQ 1 had more players 4 years later than AoC does today.....my server had 3-4k players a night 4 years later as they used to publish the numbers on login, AoC is lucky to have that many USA side over whatever server number.

if you want to know why AoC is pretty much dead today it is do to lack of quality and quantity of content AND game mechanics. Player turnover is so high in this game it seems they spent more money on advertising than they did development and polishing.  The OP will probably buy the game and see for himself but  Funcom knows most people do not stay aside from loyalist and many of them subscribe and no longer play.

AoC cetainly isn't dead on Crom or Fury or the equivents around the  world.  I would sugest that player turnover is high as players get sick of player's such as yourself who spout purile non-stop hate BUT STILL VISIT THE AOC FORUMS!!!!

You are a 'HATER'  Sad :(

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157

I'm excited.

AoC cetainly isn't dead on Crom or Fury or the equivents around the  world.  I would sugest that player turnover is high as players get sick of player's such as yourself who spout purile non-stop hate BUT STILL VISIT THE AOC FORUMS!!!!

You are a 'HATER'  Sad :(

well look at it from the bright side, a few months after launch every hater was 100% sure funcom would shut down by the end of the year, then it went to "the game is dead" and now it is "it has a few servers with healthy pops and will stay as a small game".. and we all know how funcom was doing with AO as its only income, so im not too worried (i just want TSW to come out some day :D)

so why dont we let him complain, despite stressing pvp for months no1 looked at his ideas (and thats why the hate stays)