Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

got my hopes up for ....................

dirtysidedirtyside Member UncommonPosts: 102

item shop with a monthly fee and can only play with 4 other people because everything is instances .........................  man what is wrong with these companies ?

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

waking and getting out of bed, talking to only 3 coworkers due to lack of space in car... what is up with this life.

Honestly i can say that City of Heroes (cryptics first and by most standards sucesfull game) have no problem with feeling like a MMO even tho it is 2/3;ds instaced and some how i have no doubt they will make ST:O feel like a MMO too.

As for the Cash shop. Just... don't... use... it. Noone is forcing you to use it.

Apart from that you are full of valid arguments.

Happy new year,

This have been a good conversation

• Deadeye31Deadeye31 Member Posts: 50

I don't really care too much about how instanced the game is during the leveling process. I mean, even in WOW I felt alone while I leveled. What's the difference between leveling alone in an open world  and leveling alone in an instanced world that'll probably have a few dozen people in the same instance anyway ( if we go by CO's way of doing it)?

There will probably be social hubs to hang out in and chat and maybe an Auction House and stuff but really, I'd like to know what standard (not Eve) MMO isn't practically a Single player game till end game.

This is the new focus for MMO companies: Making the single player leveling experience as enjoyable as possible. Even in WOW you may stay for the cool people in your guild, but you joined them in the first place for the end game Multiplayer experience, not the practically singleplayer leveling experience.  

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

What is wrong with these companies is the investors have entered the realm. They saw the big money Blizz was making and decided to get some of it for themselves. Problem is, while they know how to make a fast buck, they have no knowledge of how to make a game nor do they care as long as they make the aforementioned fast buck. What they want is for devs to , get it out the door, get the cash and move on to the next project. If the game sucks they do not care, they got a profit on their investments.  I know a couple of people that collect postage stamps. Investors came into the hobby in the 80's and bought up the collectable rares, drove the prices up with the illusion that they were even more rare to scarcity, dumped everything at a profit and left the hobby in shambles. Its a bit different inthe MMO field but the constant is money. Take a loved IP, crank out a game as cheaply as possible, make the buck and leave. Anyone expecting a phenomenal game in the near future is going to be dissappointed. Until the cow dries up the vultures will remain.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by tawess

waking and getting out of bed, talking to only 3 coworkers due to lack of space in car... what is up with this life.

So what you are saying is that Cryptic has successfully made flying in a capitol space ship feel like car pooling to work... Way to go Cryptic!

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

no mmo is made as cheap as some of you seem to think, thousands of man hours from people with comuter degrees, hardware to run the server on, bandwith for betas that isnt payed for by monthly fees ect.  im sure cryptic has spent more on sto then blizzard spent on developing wow before release.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Honestly i can say that City of Heroes (cryptics first and by most standards sucesfull game) have no problem with feeling like a MMO even tho it is 2/3;ds instaced and some how i have no doubt they will make ST:O feel like a MMO too.

As for the Cash shop. Just... don't... use... it. Noone is forcing you to use it.

Happy new year,

City of Heroes isn't even close to being 2/3rds instanced. The missions are instances and that is it. There are loading screens to get from city zones to hazard zones and PvP zones, but they are not instances.

STO looks like it'll be far, far more instanced than CoH ever was.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Xondar123

Happy new year,

City of Heroes isn't even close to being 2/3rds instanced. The missions are instances and that is it. There are loading screens to get from city zones to hazard zones and PvP zones, but they are not instances.

I'v never played CoH. Is it one server only like STO will be? With only one server for every sub, there is no way everyone will fit into a space station or sector space without instances. From what has been said from beta. They see other ships flying all over the palce in sector space as well as public senarios filled with other players. Even though it is all instanced because of the amount of players.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Happy new year,

A better example would be CO as it even utilizes the same engine and is made by "This" Cryptic as many responsible for CoX stayed with the project.

CO is heavily instanced. Every zone has instances, every dungeon in those zones has instances, no matter where you are in CO you are in an instance lol. CO is 100% instanced and STO uses the same engine that CO uses.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

Happy new year,

I'v never played CoH. Is it one server only like STO will be? With only one server for every sub, there is no way everyone will fit into a space station or sector space without instances. From what has been said from beta. They see other ships flying all over the palce in sector space as well as public senarios filled with other players. Even though it is all instanced because of the amount of players.

CoX has several servers. Again STO is best compaired to CO, not CoX.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Happy new year,

CoX has several servers. Again STO is best compaired to CO, not CoX.

How well does it compaire with STO being a space game? Sector space and space stations as well as missions you work on on planets?

I know all the ground game will probably be like instanced dungeons. You get the entire experience to your self or with 4 other captains. But sector space will have other captains flying around along with the choice to join others or solo any missions you get in each setor. You will be able to group with friends in setor space and space stations if you want. Searching for material to harvest for crafting. Joining gueues for PvP. The usual MMO stuff will be there. It will just be one server separated into instances instead of instances of the game being seperated into servers.

I just need to try it out and see for my self. To me, it is different enough from everything else I play. I am looking forword to it, even if any down sides that come with it. As long as it is fun, that is all I care about.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

i had a blast on the 24 7 weekend beta event pvping on my klingon, i coulda gotten more levels just grinding away mission pvp but that wouldnt have been nearly as fun as figuring out tactics and whatnot with my bird of prey =D  this game has some serious depth and trek feel to its combat if you delve into it.  i didnt do alot of pve away missioning since klingons have none, hoping they add some.