Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More xp, less chance of beta

Has anyone ever felt like the more mmorpg and beta tests you do, the less of a chance you'll get to get into a new one?

When I first started applying to betas I was getting in left and right.  Now I usually have to find a beta key somewhere to get into any.  Could it be that devs think that players with more experience are going to be too critical or something?

I dunno, just a thought.  Someone mentioned it on another site, and it came to my attention that I felt the same way.  Next beta I'm going to say I am new to mmorpg's and see what happens.

Comments

• ravenmystravenmyst Member UncommonPosts: 55

It could be a possibility but I dont think that's what usually happens. I'm not sure how long you have been doing beta tests for games, but back in the earlier days of mmos devs actually wanted the players to test out the game and actively look for bugs, exploits and such and therefore looked for people that had experience in doing that kinda thing.  Today it's not always like that although in defense of Square Enix from my experience with FFXI they want people to look for the bugs and exploits so they can deliver a well polished and good looking game at launch.

Space available for rent.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I would place a much greater chance of getting a beta invite, based on the applicant's PC specs more than anything else first!  Considering SE has said several times that FFXIV will take advantage of the latest DirectX {at least 10 or 11} and you can tell from the screenshots its gonna take a very powerful PC to run it!

There could be a DX9 client, but I doubt it cause even XP is being dropped by Microsoft here soon to basically force people to upgrade to Vista or 7 and adopt at least DX10.  The last thing SE wants is to be bogged down by old tech again {PS2} and XP/DX9 is the old tech now.  So if anything players that are running DX10 or DX11 I see being at the top of their priority list of getting us into beta first since we're rdy to go and start testing and debugging.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

I'd take a guess that they want to see how low specs can run the game as well (when there are lot of other players running around), so they won't necessarily be taking in only applicants with high-end PC.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I think betas are more popular nowadays.

Now every website mentions whenever a big mmorpg is going to have a beta and millions of people sign up for them. The chance you get in is very small.

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Now every website mentions whenever a big mmorpg is going to have a beta and millions of people sign up for them. The chance you get in is very small.

Ahh yes, that's a good possibility.

My first big beta was SWG... I was in several months before it was launched and remember there being alot of jealous people on the boards back then.  So what year was that, not TOO too long ago, but the only game I've played before that was EQ.  Maybe I'm getting my dates mixed up but I'm pretty sure that was it. 

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I think the best chance to get into beta is to send money.

to me

Well, I'm kinda not too worried about it as I've gotten into every major beta since UO!  I've always had the latest and almost best possible PC specs as well, but watch I won't get into this one...damnit just jinx myself!

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Khrymson

I would place a much greater chance of getting a beta invite, based on the applicant's PC specs more than anything else first!  Considering SE has said several times that FFXIV will take advantage of the latest DirectX {at least 10 or 11} and you can tell from the screenshots its gonna take a very powerful PC to run it!

There could be a DX9 client, but I doubt it cause even XP is being dropped by Microsoft here soon to basically force people to upgrade to Vista or 7 and adopt at least DX10.  The last thing SE wants is to be bogged down by old tech again {PS2} and XP/DX9 is the old tech now.  So if anything players that are running DX10 or DX11 I see being at the top of their priority list of getting us into beta first since we're rdy to go and start testing and debugging.

FFXI was not "bogged down" by PS2.

It was "bogged down" by SquareEnix setting the global bandwidth rate at 56k so that people on dial up could play as well as those with broadband, thus necessitating lower graphics to prevent network lag.

image]image

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Sorry to burst your bubble:

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/09/28/game-watch-interviews-tanaka-and-komoto-at-tgs/

Scroll down to the specs paragraph.

You fail to realize a good portion of MMO players are still running DX9 GPUs.  They preparing XIV with the future in mind, but they aren't going to screw over XP users.

Originally posted by Zorvan01

FFXI was not "bogged down" by PS2.

Uh, yes it was....they couldn't upgrade hardly anything because of the PS2,  They've even said so on multiple occasions when asked about new hairstyles, and faces and certain colors, and whatever...it was always the PS2 holding them back. 

On PC with a high end machine you can greatly enhance the BG textures and do DAT swapping for higher end custom graphics for all types of armor, hairstyles, weapons...faces...etc  The Windower allowed increased viewing distance, bit-mapping, etc etc etc.  None of this could be done on the PS2, and it held back the PC and 360 players from experiencing those types of upgrades officially.  Fortunately though the PS3 is powerful enough to handle what they're attempting this time but come 5-7 yrs from now I wouldn't doubt a similar situation as PCs once again trump everything, and players will be wanting more than what they can offer.

The PS3 has already wasted what; 4 yrs of its future proof 10yr lifespan...rofl

From the link in previous post, forgot they said this:

For FFXIV, it’s made with Windows in mind and then they’ll make adjustments as needed for any console systems.

Graphics will also be different. They are preparing separate graphics for the PS3 and Windows versions. For example, textures will be different. When the interviewer asked about HDTV video modes, Tanaka says the PS3 version will probably be 720p instead of 1080p. It will vary for Windows users depending on their system.

For FFXIV, it’s made with Windows in mind and then they’ll make adjustments as needed for any console systems.
    Graphics will also be different. They are preparing separate graphics for the PS3 and Windows versions. For example, textures will be different. When the interviewer asked about HDTV video modes, Tanaka says the PS3 version will probably be 720p instead of 1080p. It will vary for Windows users depending on their system.

Ummm, yeah...I know.

You're side stepping on the issue though.  SE did not say in any of the interviews they would be using DX10 or DX11.  They thought and played around with DX10, but ultimately decided to go with the DX9 route. 

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by Gameloading

This.

Like Game said, there is an extremely larger amount of people signing up for all the beta's now.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by skoreanime

Ummm, yeah...I know.

You're side stepping on the issue though.  SE did not say in any of the interviews they would be using DX10 or DX11.  They thought and played around with DX10, but ultimately decided to go with the DX9 route. 

Can you post a link to when they said that?  Only thing I remember mentioning anything concerning DX is they don't know but will go with whichever DX version is out during beta.

Originally posted by swalker23

Ummm, yeah...I know.

Can you post a link to when they said that?  Only thing I remember mentioning anything concerning DX is they don't know but will go with whichever DX version is out during beta.

My post previous to that one has the link...  http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/09/28/game-watch-interviews-tanaka-and-komoto-at-tgs/

And here's the quote in that page:

The Specs

Right now, the game is being developed with DirectX 9 in mind. They looked into DirectX 10 and the machines currently available on the market as well. In the end, they decided that DirectX 9 was the best choice.

• vinwieselvinwiesel Member Posts: 114

I think PC specs do factor into it.  There are tons of people with old systems, but not so many with the fancy new stuff.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

Originally posted by swalker23

Ummm, yeah...I know.

My post previous to that one has the link...  http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/09/28/game-watch-interviews-tanaka-and-komoto-at-tgs/

And here's the quote in that page:

The Specs

Right now, the game is being developed with DirectX 9 in mind. They looked into DirectX 10 and the machines currently available on the market as well. In the end, they decided that DirectX 9 was the best choice.

Thanks, didn't see your previous post above.  If they do use DX9 I probably won't buy the new nvidia 300 series unless the performance blows the 200's series out the water.

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

I think everything you guys said affect the outcome of getting into the beta. 

I agree with the idea that more people apply to betas today as well.  I'm sure that has a big percentage to what our chances are now.

Unfortunately, I also think that higher end pc's will have a better chance... and since there are more people in betas now-a-days, there are more high end pc's.  

However, what if they do have low specs in mind?  They have to see the value in what Blizzard did with their game to have it run so well on such low spec'd computers.

• GamesmithGamesmith Member Posts: 67

The problem is two fold really.

Number one, there's WAY more people on the internet these days that are interested in MMOs. They want to try before they buy and a beta is essentially a free demo for them.

Number two, they are advertised on every major gaming site.

Betas used to be something that only the internet savvy could find. They weren't advertised anywhere and MMOs used to be a niche market. It used to be that getting accepted into one beta snowballed your chances of getting into successive betas. Companies wanted testers who understood the beta process and would do a good job in rooting out bugs and exploits.

Nowadays, companies understand that the majority of the people accepted into beta aren't there to find bugs for you. They're there to try your game for free and get a leg up on other players come release. Betas now are merely stress tests and a way to test your game on many different hardware/ISP configurations prior to release.

Your chances of getting into a beta in todays age is the gaming equivalent of winning the lottery.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Well I have only really gotten into the stress test area of the beta for LOTRO and DDO. I did get into Stargate, but I really didn't care about that anyway. I am hoping that since I have my security token and have been playing FFXI since 2003 that they will say sure to the beta for FFXIV. Then again; I wouldn't care either way. I will play it no matter what and the beta could give me enough of a head start that it might ruin the new player experience for me.